Do you like Ken Rush as cruise director?

Definitely add me to the "loved Richard Spacey" group. We found him much more approachable and sincere.

+1 for me as well. I'm a bit spoiled - my first ever cruise was FOS in December 2013, which ended up being Richard's second to last sailing on both FOS and RCCL. It helps that I'm very much into British comedy, so his cheeky, somewhat absurdist style appealed to me right away. He set such an upbeat tone that you couldn't not have a good time. We actually looked forward to the morning show on the Space Station. We made sure to listen all the way through to the end of his announcements for his tidbits and the requisite "I love you". Even if we didn't have an interest in the evening's show, we made sure to catch his introductions (and his sock selection). And as busy as he was, he was never too busy to talk to guests or take a picture.

My wife may hit me for saying this, but as close as we got to getting up on stage for the Love & Marriage Show (Katie didn't select the newlywed couple by length of marriage, but rather by "audition" and audience vote - we got into a triple tiebreak revote with the couple who eventually won...not for nothing, but we'd been married 2.5 weeks to their 8 months...), Richard was so entertaining and worked the contestants' responses so well that I think I enjoyed watching it more than I would have enjoyed playing. (One of the husbands actually said his wife's bra size was 18C, and Richard was off to the races.)

Contrast this with our recent cruise on the NCL Breakaway: the CD, Julie (yes, really) was just kinda...there. She wasn't awful, or "car salesman"-like (although the Welcome Aboard show was pretty pitch-heavy), and she wasn't great (she seemed like she was just going through the motions in some of her hosting duties). We ran into her on deck a few times, and she was perfectly pleasant, but aside from wanting to know what activity you'd be attending next (and don't get me started on the scheduling on Breakaway), there just wasn't much to her. Richard Spacey practically radiated joy by comparison.

Donna expresses my thoughts precisely.

But I also love Richard Spacey.

04-23-2010-06.jpg

:D

I miss Richard.......might have to book on Summitt to see him again! I've always wanted to try Celebrity :)

We get to experience Ken Rush on our upcoming Quantum cruise......I will wait to comment on his CD capabilities after that.....lol!

Edited by fish6

We've sailed with Ken Rush a couple of times. Didn't really care for his act that much - sort of like a game show host. The only CD we really enjoy is Ricky Williams for his energy and creativity.

All that being said the CD really doesn't make the cruise for me one way or another.

We've sailed with Ken Rush a couple of times. Didn't really care for his act that much - sort of like a game show host.

All that being said the CD really doesn't make the cruise for me one way or another.

...agree.........but more like a game show host "wannabe"...........

We like Ken, he always does an excellent job. He's not our favorite (that would be Ricky Matthews), but I definitely hope to sail with Ken again in the future.

Edit: just realized this is an old thread that I already posted on last May lol. Love when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

You know other than Ken and maybe Richard Spacey I don't really remember the names of all the other CD's on our cruises. I do recall one being very boring but for the life of me I don't recall his name. I guess it's not all that important to me.

Edited by abridalmaven

Of all our cruises only two CDs stand out. Amy and Leigh. Ken Rush is the only other one I recall and that was probably only because he fell, on the flowrider I believe, and cracked his head open. Wore a bandaid on his forehead the rest of the cruise :)

• 8 months later...

Just saw this on Facebook:

Harmony of the Seas cruise director will be Ken Rush

It appears that the Cruise Director for Royal Caribbean's brand new Harmony of the Seas cruise ship will be Ken Rush.

Cannot wait for our cruise!

Just saw this on Facebook:

Harmony of the Seas cruise director will be Ken Rush

It appears that the Cruise Director for Royal Caribbean's brand new Harmony of the Seas cruise ship will be Ken Rush.

Cannot wait for our cruise!

He does all the new ships. Quite the entertainer and high profile, so a good face for them to use.

"Spend a week with Ken Rush, featuring Harmony of the Seas!"

Unfortunately that means sticking to the formula so don't expect anything innovative you haven't already seen from him on other ships.

Unfortunately that means sticking to the formula so don't expect anything innovative you haven't already seen from him on other ships.

Probably so, but if there are new things that are unique to Harmony, he will point it out in his Emcee roll or on his morning show. Never talked to the man personally, but he is great about packing in useful information.

He does all the new ships. Quite the entertainer and high profile, so a good face for them to use.

"Spend a week with Ken Rush, featuring Harmony of the Seas!"

That's OK, we have not sailed with him in a long time.

No he is one arrogant person :(

That seems to be a consensus of people who have talked one one one with him. In 11 cruises, I have only spoken one on one with Casey Pelter and thought he was really personable.(and a good CD)

However, I found Ken to be very good at his job and always having useful information. The only one on one conversation I had with him was at the Captain's Corner in a professional setting. From my point of Vew, he was a good host, ran a good Quest, so I would cruise with him any time.