Do you like Ken Rush as cruise director?

You're not alone at all. He's generally the least popular of RCI Cruise Directors, mostly from being so self centered. It baffles me why he is popular with RCI and always on the new ships.

I have never experienced him as a CD on a ship....but I have read many many times, how people have loved him. Same with Richard Spacey.

I have had very good CD's and just OK CD's, maybe one CD that I really did not like....but regardless of the CD, I can't say that a CD has ruined any cruise I have been on, because of his demeanor or style.

I surely don't book a cruise because of the CD that is onboard, nor would I avoid a cruise because of the CD onboard.

Unfortunately, he's always having bad weeks ;). Worst cruise director ever, arrogant, full of himself, unfriendly to passengers. Maybe he actually SHOULD look for a job as a used-car-salesman! :D

That's how I feel about him. Arrogant and full of himself is the perfect description of Rush.

CD's are insignificant to us on any cruise we take but the push to sell something on cruises is definitely a turn off. I get that its a business and RCCL, like any business, wants to generate as much revenue as possible, especially with a captured audience. But that push crosses the line on almost every cruise. At least the announcements have ended that disrupt the day. Now they need to work on the annoying photographers who try to funnel passengers thru their gaunlet each time the ship stops. Worst are the passengers that think they have to stand in line just to tell them NO. We tried Sea Dream yacht club last year, just for a change and there was no push to buy anything...very relaxing although the small ships are something we would not do again. We pay for our cruise (suites) and expect to relax and get away. We do not want to hear the constant annoying sales pitch from a carnival barker with a CD name tag on his/her shirt. For now my advice is to not listen to the "morning show"...not that entertaining anyway. Ask your stateroom attendent not to waste paper placing sales flyers in your stateroom door (mailbox). We do that every cruise. And if after asking the first time they continue we ask again...then it usually stops. Don't wait in the photo line like mindless cattle just to say no thank you...sidestep the line and go about your business. That helps shorten the line for those wishing to get a photo. Stop trying to develop a relationship with CD's. People on these boards act like CDs are their best friends (will he/her be on this ship, where did he/she go, etc). Once you leave the ship to you think they remember you anyway? Cruises are what you make of them, everyone knows that. What you choose to accept, what you choose to do is up to you. Voice your dislikes on the surveys you fill out so at least RCCL sees your thoughts. Not all CDs are like Ken Rush (thank goodness), all are good people doing a job, but all of them need to do their job of helping to entertain paying customers, not delivery a constant and never ending sales pitch from bingo to drink of the day.

Edited by DShock

Cruises are what you make of them, everyone knows that.

No, they don't. I think that's one of the worst cliche's on Cruise Critic. I don't pay to go on cruises for it to be what I make of it. I pay to go on cruises for what they make of it.

That said, while I don't like Ken Rush, the CD does not sway my bookings one way or the other.

I laughed out loud when I saw this because it is the perfect description of him! I could not tell you who the CD has been on any of my cruises except one--Ken Rush on Oasis. Oh my. From the beginning, I thought he was an arrogant jerk. The topper, though, was when BF and I were eating in Johnny Rockets. He was in there--"off duty" (in civilian clothes)--talking to a buddy about a drunk passenger he took back to his cabin the night before, and, um, what occurred. It was so beyond inappropriate. I understand that he was off duty, but this was the 4th day, so even if he wasn't in his work attire, everyone knew who he was. And he was not being quiet about it. I was appalled...:eek:

He certainly has his detractors but he's also in charge of the best entertainment afloat so I'll give him credit where credit is due. As far as liking him? I don't think I've ever given it a thought.

I was thinking the same thing. He may have an off-putting persona, but there is no better person working behind the scenes to organize and execute the ship's entertainment programs, and RCI has the best entertainment afloat.

Edited by DonnaK

No, they don't. I think that's one of the worst cliche's on Cruise Critic. I don't pay to go on cruises for it to be what I make of it. I pay to go on cruises for what they make of it.

That said, while I don't like Ken Rush, the CD does not sway my bookings one way or the other.

Different strokes for different folks. We cruise a lot and been there done it, so our reason for cruising isn't about being entertained or relying on the cruise staff to make my trip. If we did depend on them to make our trip we would probably get bored with cruising. We go to relax, read and listen to music on our balcony, eat good food, meet and enjoy new friends...heck we no longer even care where the ships go. But we do have friends that cruise with us once a year that carry around the daily schedule and want to participate in everything. As I said, different strokes for different folks.

Totally agree. Maybe having a root canal is what you make of it. Paying thousands of dollars for a vacation should put some onus on the cruise provider.

Edited by mark290
sp

Yeah it's all opinion.

Like many of you, I don't care about a cruise director much at all. Had Ken, didn't like him personally, but it was no big deal. Whatever.

Then....

I had Richard Spacey, and unlike a recent poster I LOVED him. We loved his jokes and humor and totally are going to book a cruise on celebrity where he is now, just to sail with him again.

Like I said...

all opinions.

It's what makes the world go round

We just got off allure with director Ken Rush. Is it just me or does anyone else thinks he is like a used car salesman? Everytime he was on the RCCL channels he was trying to sell something. I mean,he was like Billie Mays at times. This was our 4th cruise and he just rubbed us the wrong way. Hopefully I was just having a bad week :)

At first when I read your post, I was in agreement in regard to being a used car salesman. In two cruises with him I thought he did a fine job when he was on stage or camera. And that is all I need. Most complaints I have heard about him deal with his interaction with guests 1 on 1. I've never had any such interations. I don't get any trying to sell anything because the corporate speak about the port show, or the excursions desk. I see that as part of his job, or is there something else you saw?

The only sales pitch that irritate me with Royal Caribbean was pushing a back pain relief class that turned out after sitting 20 minutes to be a sales pitch for custom insoles. Besides the pitch being a carnival sham, I was annoyed because we had brought friends for their first cruise and I had never experienced that before.

Not so sure about that- there is something about his demeanor that is a real turn-off. There is nothing genuine or authentic about him. We sailed Allure in 2013 and thought his morning show was awful.

Interesting, I was on Allure April 28th 2013 for that week and thought that part of his duties he did well. As I said in another message, others in our sailing that had personal interactions with him said it wasn't pleasant.

I was thinking the same thing. He may have an off-putting persona, but there is no better person working behind the scenes to organize and execute the ship's entertainment programs, and RCI has the best entertainment afloat.

Donna expresses my thoughts precisely.

:)

I love Kevin Spacey.

s-KEVIN-SPACEY-large300.jpg

But I also love Richard Spacey.

04-23-2010-06.jpg

:D

I have never experienced him as a CD on a ship....but I have read many many times, how people have loved him. Same with Richard Spacey.

I have had very good CD's and just OK CD's, maybe one CD that I really did not like....but regardless of the CD, I can't say that a CD has ruined any cruise I have been on, because of his demeanor or style.

I surely don't book a cruise because of the CD that is onboard, nor would I avoid a cruise because of the CD onboard.

This is so true! I have never, ever let a CD make or break a cruise for me.

I've had a blast on every cruise I've been on regardless of who was CD at the time.