Do you like Ken Rush as cruise director?

That seems to be a consensus of people who have talked one one one with him. In 11 cruises, I have only spoken one on one with Casey Pelter and thought he was really personable.(and a good CD)

However, I found Ken to be very good at his job and always having useful information. The only one on one conversation I had with him was at the Captain's Corner in a professional setting. From my point of Vew, he was a good host, ran a good Quest, so I would cruise with him any time.

Agree 100%. Regardless of whether I'd like to sit down and have a beer with him (probably not), I'd be more than happy to have him as CD on any of my upcoming cruises.

A positive cruise director will make me motivated but I don't try to be influenced that much by a bad or not that energetic cruise director.

I had Ken Rush last week and for some reason I didn't like him. He has years of experience with royal but I had the feeling that he feels like the "king" of the cruise.

On the other hand the " captain" which don't have a big role when it comes to entertainment I saw him riding his bike in the promenade ( how cool was that) and you can tell he is having fun

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I thought Ken was awesome. I had him as a CD back in February on Quantum. He was energetic and funny. Not the best I've ever had (Richard Spacey, hands down wins that title) but definitely not the worst.

Ken Rush - the most polarizing figure in cruising! Carnival's John Heald gives Ken a run for his money, but I'm giving the edge to Ken since more loyal Carnival cruisers love John than loyal Royals love Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yes, Carnival's John Heald also thinks a lot of himself also along with Ken but I still enjoy myself on their cruises. They can be entertaining if you look past their egos.

..................I'm SO glad I am not cruising on the Quantum..........:cool:

Not sure where he is now. That post was back in January. Ken is extremely knowledgeable and a good show host but forget trying to have much one on one with him because, when he's done with one event, he typically runs away as fast as possible. The only time I really got to talk with him was on Allure on the Rising Tide bar right after the 70s show because that's where he ends that show. Pretty much the only reason I got that chance was because he was trapped there until he got off at the Central Park deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

again, not so sure why this is a big deal. i couldn't care less who the cd is. i have no clue why people put so much stock in them.

If you were to sail with some of the better CDs like Clo O'Connor, Joff Eaton, Bobby Brown, Dan Whitney or Richard Spacey you might change your opinion. The very good ones can set the tone for your cruise, be very visible about the ship during the sailing and encourage his or her staff to perform at their highest levels.

My major complaint with Ken is his continued impatience with those guests who get up to leave at the end of a performance in the theater while he is on stage talking about upcoming activities. By this time in his career you would think he would have come to terms with the fact that it is going to happen instead of loudly berating them for their action. Reminds me of when I was a kid and the monsignor would spend half his sermon ranting about the people who don't come to church The people remaining in their seats don't need to be subjected to his harangues.

If you were to sail with some of the better CDs like Clo O'Connor, Joff Eaton, Bobby Brown, Dan Whitney or Richard Spacey you might change your opinion. The very good ones can set the tone for your cruise, be very visible about the ship during the sailing and encourage his or her staff to perform at their highest levels.

My major complaint with Ken is his continued impatience with those guests who get up to leave at the end of a performance in the theater while he is on stage talking about upcoming activities. By this time in his career you would think he would have come to terms with the fact that it is going to happen instead of loudly berating them for their action. Reminds me of when I was a kid and the monsignor would spend half his sermon ranting about the people who don't come to church The people remaining in their seats don't need to be subjected to his harangues.

i seriously couldn't care less. apparently ricky matthews was supposed to be one of the good ones as well. i just saw him on indy a couple of weeks ago. and in my previous cruises i never even thought to look for a cd. the only reason i pay attention now is cruise critic.

i am a low maintenance cruiser. as long as i have a balcony, a quiet cabin, a decent cabin steward/mdr waiter, good food and a clean ship i am good. i like royal's brand and will continue to sail with them. but not for their 'hype men/women.'

we make our own fun when we cruise. i am very surprised by many of the posts here at cruise critic.

Edited by gammite

again, not so sure why this is a big deal. i couldn't care less who the cd is. i have no clue why people put so much stock in them.

Yet, you feel the need to tell us about your preferences twice? If I don't care about knitting club meetings on board I tend to skip those threads.

Yet, you feel the need to tell us about your preferences twice? If I don't care about knitting club meetings on board I tend to skip those threads.

as stated (or maybe implied) previously, i was interested in why people care. like the dude above you stated i wouldn't even care if there was no cruise director. yet many others will avoid a cruise not to deal with a certain cd. is it really that big of a deal?

i am a low maintenance cruiser. as long as i have a balcony, a quiet cabin, a decent cabin steward/mdr waiter, good food and a clean ship i am good. i like royal's brand and will continue to sail with them. but not for their 'hype men/women.'

Just curious but you do realize they are not just 'hype' men and women right? I don't care to chat it up with a cruise director either but they do run the entertainment and activities. That's a bigger responsibility than being a 'hype' man or woman. While some will say they don't sail for the cruise director, in reality they probably do and just don't realize it. Maybe not a specific one but one that does their job well.

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/cruise-director-jobs.html