Walk off program

cruise777

Yes, but you have to be able to handle your luggage. Some ports require you to have one hand free for the escalator.

True and we've seen some people who really should not have picked this option.

LuLu

does princess have a program where you can carry of your own luggage?

Yes, and you can disembark the ship early.

The program doesn't limit to early disembarkation. You can disembark at the time you want.

We will be sailing on the Regal December 7. We have a flight leaving Ft Lauderdale on the 14th at 11:20am. I've been reading some comments about possibly missing flights. Do you suggest that we walk off early with our entire luggage? Is there an elevator available for the handicapped? Do you know if there is a customs agent available as early as 7:30am? Do you know the time that Princess schedules the first disembarkation of the day? Thanks for your help.

We will be sailing on the Regal December 7. We have a flight leaving Ft Lauderdale on the 14th at 11:20am. I've been reading some comments about possibly missing flights. Do you suggest that we walk off early with our entire luggage? Is there an elevator available for the handicapped? Do you know if there is a customs agent available as early as 7:30am? Do you know the time that Princess schedules the first disembarkation of the day? Thanks for your help.
You'll be fine with an 11:20am flight. You don't have to do self-disembarkation. Yes, there's an elevator for the handicapped but it's usually full with those doing self-disembarkation and are unable to handle luggage going down the escalator. One time when I was traveling with my daughter who was in a wheelchair, we waited for almost 25 minutes for the elevator because of those pushing ahead with their luggage saying they "had" to get in front because they had an early flight.

One thing to keep in mind with self-disembarkation is that often, there are many self-disembarkation groups and while the first few groups disembark first, the first "regular" disembarkation groups are interspersed with the self-disembarkers. Just because you've opted for self-disembarkation doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be among the first off the ship. You may be after four or five regular disembarkation groups. Not everyone can be first off the ship and those without luggage are often held up by those trying to manage their luggage. You will receive no assistance from anyone.

You'll be fine with an 11:20am flight. You don't have to do self-disembarkation. Yes, there's an elevator for the handicapped but it's usually full with those doing self-disembarkation and are unable to handle luggage going down the escalator. One time when I was traveling with my daughter who was in a wheelchair, we waited for almost 25 minutes for the elevator because of those pushing ahead with their luggage saying they "had" to get in front because they had an early flight.

One thing to keep in mind with self-disembarkation is that often, there are many self-disembarkation groups and while the first few groups disembark first, the first "regular" disembarkation groups are interspersed with the self-disembarkers. Just because you've opted for self-disembarkation doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be among the first off the ship. You may be after four or five regular disembarkation groups. Not everyone can be first off the ship and those without luggage are often held up by those trying to manage their luggage. You will receive no assistance from anyone.

Thank you Pam. You are so helpful and your knowledge is very valuable. There are four family members on the cruise and Mom is the only one that will need assistance. I think the other three can handle her suitcases and she will be fine without an elevator. Looking forward to another fantastic cruise and btw thanks for Nancy.

There are four family members on the cruise and Mom is the only one that will need assistance. I think the other three can handle her suitcases and she will be fine without an elevator.
I have found that the difference between self-disembarkation and picking my bag up in the terminal can be maybe 1-10 minutes. As long as your luggage is easily recognizable, it doesn't take more than a minute or two to locate your luggage. Stay away from black or blue bags or else put bright colored duct tape on all sides, including the top. Mine is a bright orange. Can't miss it. :)

I have found that the difference between self-disembarkation and picking my bag up in the terminal can be maybe 1-10 minutes. As long as your luggage is easily recognizable, it doesn't take more than a minute or two to locate your luggage. Stay away from black or blue bags or else put bright colored duct tape on all sides, including the top. Mine is a bright orange. Can't miss it. :)

I have a question about being scheduled on a cruise sponsored transfer from the ship to the airport? Do we have to leave our bags on the hallway overnight for them to collect and get on the bus? I am not comfortable with this. Or can we keep our bags in our room and then take them off with us on disembarkation day and get them to the bus ourselves? Or drop them off at an appropriate location for them to get on the bus?

Also, our luggage is pretty common colors bought at separate times (red, green and blue). We bought neon green luggage tags and a small roll of neon green duct tape to put on the handles. Several stores (Walmart being one of them) now sell decorative duct tape that you can purchase in sheets or in small or large rolls so you can pick something that will stand out. :)

Edited by Guera

Our flight does not leave FLL until about 7:30pm. We have reserved transfer from ship to airport. We have done this before but not for such a late flight. So, how does this work, with reference to our luggage? Do we claim our luggage upon arriving at the airport and keep it with us all day? Or is the luggage put in some sort of storage area? I really dread twiddling my thumbs at the airport all day and would like to get out and get around town, but not if we are lugging a suitcase and carryons. Does the airport have any lockers? I know many were done away with after 9/11. Any suggestions?

I have a question about being scheduled on a cruise sponsored transfer from the ship to the airport? Do we have to leave our bags on the hallway overnight for them to collect and get on the bus? I am not comfortable with this. Or can we keep our bags in our room and then take them off with us on disembarkation day and get them to the bus ourselves? Or drop them off at an appropriate location for them to get on the bus?
You put your luggage out the night before and pick it up in the terminal. You then walk with your luggage to the Princess bus. It's then put on the bus (I always stay to make sure it's in the compartment) and you board the bus. Once at the terminal, the luggage for that terminal is off-loaded. You pick up your luggage and head for the terminal. One thing to know is that the buses can't stop in front of the terminal. They have to go to a bus drop-off area which is usually a few steps away or if your airline is one of several, it could be a bit of a walk.

Our flight does not leave FLL until about 7:30pm. We have reserved transfer from ship to airport. We have done this before but not for such a late flight. So, how does this work, with reference to our luggage? Do we claim our luggage upon arriving at the airport and keep it with us all day? Or is the luggage put in some sort of storage area? I really dread twiddling my thumbs at the airport all day and would like to get out and get around town, but not if we are lugging a suitcase and carryons. Does the airport have any lockers? I know many were done away with after 9/11. Any suggestions?
My (very strong) suggestion is to pay $20/pp for EZ Check. Princess will check you in for your flight(s), print your boarding pass and issue you airline luggage tags to put on your bags. You leave them out the night before and you don't see them again until you arrive at your final flight destination.

Many airlines at FLL don't allow you to even check in until two hours before your flight so using EZ Check means you have only your carry-on and when you arrive at the airport, can go directly to Security.

My other suggestion besides EZ Check is to take a taxi to a nearby hotel, such as the Renaissance. Nearby are restaurants and other activities. I like the Bimini Boatyard which is right next to the hotel. When you're ready, take a taxi to the airport which is just minutes away.

Another suggestion is to take one of the Princess tours that drops you off at the airport. Two that are good are the Everglades airboat ride and the Ft. Lauderdale boat tour. You sign up for these onboard. Last October, we had a 3:30pm flight out of MIA and did EZ Check and the Princess Ft. Lauderdale boat tour. We were dropped off close to 2pm but that's to MIA. It was great not having to deal with our luggage and being able to go directly to Security without checking in or dropping off bags.

You put your luggage out the night before and pick it up in the terminal. You then walk with your luggage to the Princess bus. It's then put on the bus (I always stay to make sure it's in the compartment) and you board the bus. Once at the terminal, the luggage for that terminal is off-loaded. You pick up your luggage and head for the terminal. One thing to know is that the buses can't stop in front of the terminal. They have to go to a bus drop-off area which is usually a few steps away or if your airline is one of several, it could be a bit of a walk.

Thanks, but if I don't want to put them out in the hallway the night before? I don't like the thought of putting my bags outside the cabin for security reasons. I know that the probability of something being taken or placed in them is slim to none, but I don't like the thought of leaving them unattended.

Thanks, but if I don't want to put them out in the hallway the night before? I don't like the thought of putting my bags outside the cabin for security reasons. I know that the probability of something being taken or placed in them is slim to none, but I don't like the thought of leaving them unattended.

Then you would have to walk them off the ship as that is how they are collected, the night before. Then they are put in the luggage terminal where you pick them up. People that walk off their luggage (walk off program) are the first ones called of the ship. :)

Edited by janetz

Very good and helpful advice. I think I sorta remember about the EZ program from last Princess cruise but had forgotten. I had also considered spending the day at a nearby hotel, but was wondering still about the luggage situation. We are staying precruise at a hotel with free transport to/from airport and to/from ship. May ask if we could return there after cruise until time to go to flight. Also, I studied the post-cruise excursions and they might work, but I figure we will be about played out by then. :( May just play it by ear. Lots of time yet to decide.

Then you would have to walk them off the ship as that is how they are collected, the night before. Then they are put in the luggage terminal where you pick them up. People that walk off their luggage (walk off program) are the first ones called of the ship. :)
They can stay later and walk off with their luggage but then they'll be in line with people who have just carry-ons and will likely hold them up. You will receive no assistance. The walk-off program is intended for those with early flights and is limited so if you choose walk-off, someone who really wants/needs walk-off may not be able to get it.

Beachspring, you can most certainly go to a nearby hotel and don't have to ask permission. If it's a hotel on the beach, that may not be true but every hotel I've stayed at near the port, you can just walk in. You can even ask the concierge to store your carry-on in a secure room. We did that a couple of years ago in Newark. We had a late flight and went to Newark airport, checked in and dropped off our luggage and took the shuttle to the Marriott nearby where we met friends doing the same time and had lunch, paid for using credit cards. When it was time to head to the airport, we took the shuttle back to the terminal.

The walk-off program is intended for those with early flights and is limited so if you choose walk-off, someone who really wants/needs walk-off may not be able to get it.

People that walk off their luggage (walk off program) are the first ones called of the ship. :)

People that sign up for walkoff will indeed be among the first scheduled to leave the ship and the number of spots are limited.

However, if you want to walk off later, just sign up for a later departure time instead of walkoff. You will get luggage tags for that time, but you can ignore them and keep your luggage in your cabin. Then you can walk off when your assigned color is able to leave the ship and you will not be depriving someone who needs the early walkoff a spot.

does princess have a program where you can carry of your own luggage?

Yes, we did it for the first time last week when we disembarked Emerald Princess at Southampton. We were off the ship by 8am and there was no one else in the baggage hall. Bliss!

My (very strong) suggestion is to pay $20/pp for EZ Check. Princess will check you in for your flight(s), print your boarding pass and issue you airline luggage tags to put on your bags. You leave them out the night before and you don't see them again until you arrive at your final flight destination.

Many airlines at FLL don't allow you to even check in until two hours before your flight so using EZ Check means you have only your carry-on and when you arrive at the airport, can go directly to Security.

Pam, do you pre-purchase EZ Check or is it something they offer once you are onboard? We have a laaaaaaate flight out of Ft. Lauderdale this November and I would love to not have to wrestle our luggage. We usually fly with just carry ons, but it'd be worth checking even them to not have to keep up with them!