Heads up! Cameras and humidity

forgap

Just returned from the camera store with the bad news....my Canon Rebel Eos T3 started to malfunction mid cruise (Bangkok to Dubai) with error messages and difficulty seeing through the viewfinder. The verdict is that the lense is shot due to the change in temperature from shipboard AC to the unrelenting heat and humitidy of Asia. Condensation in the lense is the problem. The very smart camera guy said to keep the camera in a baggy until it comes up to ambient temperature. He said that this is a problem on the ski slopes as well when cameras come in from the cold to the toasty lodge.

Has anyone experienced this and is the camera guy as smart as I think he is? All advice is welcome!

We experienced the fogged up lenses both in the South Pacific and on our Panama cruise. We used the hair dryer in the room to heat up the cameras a bit right before going out. That brought them up to temp.

Another thing to try is to place the camera and lens out on the balcony for awhile before leaving the ship to acclimate the camera to the heat and humidity. True you have to walk thru the ship to disembark but, it worked for me in several very humid climates as we were back outside fairly quickly.

Also when returning to the ship, leave the camera out on the balcony in the shade until it gets cooler as the sun sets and increase the temp in your suite, bring the camera back into the suite and lower the temp and humidity slowly to stop the condensation in the lens.

Use these to store your camera with:

Dry-Packs Moisture Absorbing Indicating Silica Gel Packets item number DP1-20 includes 20 of the Indicating Silica Gel Packets that have indicating crystals inside the clear packet that turn from orange to dark green so you know that the packets are about 60% absorbed and must consider replacing. These Dry-Packs are ideal size for numerous applications like Camera housings, electronic bags, digital cameras, shoes, leather items, camping gear, backpacks, tackle boxes, gun cases, storage boxes, tool chest, coins, crafts, etc.

Amazon 20 packs for $9.00

j

My husband ruined a good (expensive) camera due to the same issue several years ago. Lesson learned. Of course, these days, I mostly just take pictures with my iphone. They aren't great, but they are fine for my purposes, and it is easy to carry.

Have experienced this several times on cruises and finally fixed the problem with the hair dryer, with the camera working normally after 10-15 minutes. Also might suggest keeping camera in the safe deposit box which shelters the camera somewhat from the cabin temperature.