disembarking in Vancouver, CA

hello, our next HAL cruise disembarks in Vancouver, CA. We would like to know any thoughts/suggestions on how to best fly back to the USA - should we flight out of Vancouver or Seattle? If the suggestion is Seattle, any suggestions on how to get from the disembarkation point to Seattle?

Thanks in advance!

hello, our next HAL cruise disembarks in Vancouver, CA. We would like to know any thoughts/suggestions on how to best fly back to the USA - should we flight out of Vancouver or Seattle? If the suggestion is Seattle, any suggestions on how to get from the disembarkation point to Seattle?

Thanks in advance!

While flying out of Vancouver is more expensive, by the time you factor in the costs of getting to Seattle and then likely an overnight hotel stay and a few meals, it likely will about even out.

DaveOKC

Thanks in advance!

If you don't want to fly from Vancouver . Then there are three ways to get to Seattle to fly.

1 - Quickshuttle from port to Seatac about 3 to 5 hours

2 - Amtrak to Seattle . Will require an overnight in Seattle unless you take a red eye home.

3 - Greyhound

Sometimes a rental can work but waits at Canada/US border can be up to 3 hrs depending on which week-end.

If you live east of Chicago you can get nonstop to Chicago and New York from Vancouver.

Edited by Kamloops50

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you simply take a HAL transfer to the Vancouver airport and fly out. Any flight leaving after, say, 1:00 PM should not be any problem. I don't see the concern.

We have done this several times.

Scott & Karen

If you're disembarking in Vancouver, you can easily fly from YVR by 1:00 to 2:00 pm. If you're not in a rush, spend a night or two and enjoy Vancouver's Stanley Park, shopping, Granville Island, etc. It is a spectacular city! I'd check for suitable flight options to your destination from Vancouver. Although prices may be higher, if you're in a hurry to get home, you can easily fly out of Vancouver the same day. Having disembarked in Vancouver two weeks ago, the Quickshuttle buses were right there at Canada Place if you decide to fly from Seattle, but it would need to be an evening flight I believe and shuttle reservations in advance. I took a float plane (Harbour Air) home to Vancouver Island. Their terminal is right beside Canada Place. I hope these considerations help you in your decision.

Last week we disembarked in Vancouver There were 3 ships ijn and the line for taxi's were about 1000 people I suggest if you need a taxi you copy what we did. We walked our cases out into the street and along for about 100 metres and crossed the road.

We were there when a taxi dropped its fare and we got into that car. The driver was stoked that he did not have to join the line and we were in our hotel 15 minutes later. He also then could be available in the town where taxies - because they were lined up at the cruise terminal were scarse.

We would have waited a little while until we saw a returning taxi to flag down but were just extra lucky.

We took Hal shuttle down to Seattle again this year and they have raised the price to $75. each. Almost cheaper now to fly out of Vancouver now.

Wow, we only paid $65 for the HAL shuttle on May 17th, the same price we paid when we were with you last year. In might have been that we had booked it about a year in advance. We stayed in Seattle two extra days again this year after our cruise.

Edited by kjw869

Last time I disembarked in Vancouver, I walked 4 blocks or so to the light rail station and rode to the airport for a few dollars. It was quick, easy and inexpensive.

David

We just did the same thing to the Vancouver airport - $2.75 each!

FYI - it is a bit more on weekdays than weekends, BUT there is a senior fare that gets it back to $2.75 (Canadian dollars). Be sure to select that option (Concession Fare). Select 2 zones.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Better yet, take the light rail from Canada Place to the Vancouver airport. It is fast (~35 minutes) and inexpensive ($5, less for seniors). Don't worry, it is clean, safe and will be full of other cruise ship passengers.

The money you save over a HAL transfer will help offset the higher airfares from Vancouver.

igraf

Why don't you simply take a HAL transfer to the Vancouver airport and fly out. Any flight leaving after, say, 1:00 PM should not be any problem. I don't see the concern.

We have done this several times.

Scott & Karen

Edited by igraf

As someone on a first cruise, I wanted things as simple as possible. We bought the HAL transfer for a coach bus to the airport. They were very thorough, a nice info tour combo with the driver on Vancouver, and then off to the flight.

My only issue is having to go through customs at each leg. Off the ship, on the plane, then we had a transfer in Toronto and due to the distance and delays was very harried and I could easily have seen us missing our flight to Baltimore.

My answer if I want to do an Alaskan tour again is simply start and return Seattle directly, no customs problems.

Discussion is topical for us. We disembark in Vancouver on 30 August (Zuiderdam) and fly to San Francisco. We had a flight booked to depart at 2.15pm that day but a few hours ago received an email from booking agent to advise departure changed to 1.15pm. As a general rule will 1.15pm departure be OK ?? - and do those like us with earlier flights get any sort of priority at time of disembarkation ?? Thank you

Discussion is topical for us. We disembark in Vancouver on 30 August (Zuiderdam) and fly to San Francisco. We had a flight booked to depart at 2.15pm that day but a few hours ago received an email from booking agent to advise departure changed to 1.15pm. As a general rule will 1.15pm departure be OK ?? - and do those like us with earlier flights get any sort of priority at time of disembarkation ?? Thank you

Disembarkation, other than self-disembark and Luggage Direct in ports that have it, is prioritized based on onward travel plans. That is, those with earlier flights have disembarkation numbers/colors before those with later flights. Those staying on in town are toward the last.

If you're flying from Vancouver, you could be all right. But remember that you need to clear US Immigration/Customs in Vancouver airport, and that takes a lot of time. I would not use HAL transfers.

I would be a nervous wreck trying to get from the Vancouver pier for a 1:15 flight from SeaTac. I would change my flight, if that's your airport. The very idea of trying to be at the airport with sufficient time, on a Saturday, with the need to cross the border---:eek:.

Edited by RuthC

Thank you RuthC. We disembark the ship in Vancouver and fly from Vancouver Airport to San Fran. We have private transfer booked from ship to airport .... so based on my re-reading of all posts I think 1.15pm should be OK. Kind regards

As someone on a first cruise, I wanted things as simple as possible. We bought the HAL transfer for a coach bus to the airport. They were very thorough, a nice info tour combo with the driver on Vancouver, and then off to the flight.

My only issue is having to go through customs at each leg. Off the ship, on the plane, then we had a transfer in Toronto and due to the distance and delays was very harried and I could easily have seen us missing our flight to Baltimore.

My answer if I want to do an Alaskan tour again is simply start and return Seattle directly, no customs problems.

You'll only go thru customs in Vancouver then again in Toronto before flying to Baltimore .

don't forget to look at Bellingham, very close to the boarder. Very easy to be to Vancouver Airport or Seatlle.

One thing to keep in mind about of leaving from Vancouver is that you don't have the long boarder lineups.

Very easy to get public transit from the cruise ship terminal and the airport.

don't forget to look at Bellingham, very close to the boarder. Very easy to be to Vancouver Airport or Seatlle.

One thing to keep in mind about of leaving from Vancouver is that you don't have the long boarder lineups.

Very easy to get public transit from the cruise ship terminal and the airport.

With Bellingham you might as well go all the way to Seattle. Most airlines have connections in Seattle to other airports.