Formal Night Clothing Question...

Chumpson

I am guessing the ship doesn't matter, but thought I would say I am on the Legend on July 29th. Anyway, I don't own a suit, or tux for that matter. Does this mean I should stay clear of the main dining room on that night? Or should I pack my most formal stuff and give it a go?

I am guessing the ship doesn't matter, but thought I would say I am on the Legend on July 29th. Anyway, I don't own a suit, or tux for that matter. Does this mean I should stay clear of the main dining room on that night? Or should I pack my most formal stuff and give it a go?

Not at all. Carnival no longer offers a Formal Night. Instead, they now have a Cruise Elegant night. You can dress up as much as you want, but in your case, nice slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. A tie is suggested, but not required. Elegant night on Carnival is now considered more of an opportunity to increase revenue and photo sales, as their target demographic is not as interested in a traditional cruise experience as they previously were.

Edit:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faqs/dining_room_dress_requirements.aspx

Edited by Disconnections

Oh my gosh NO!!!! We been on a number of Carnival cruises in the past 3 years, and trust me your fine even with dockers pants and a collard shirt! Keep the jacket home no need trust me, I been on so many cruises and my other half has not brought a jacket in the past four years.

Hubby just dressed in a nice button down long sleeve shirt, khakis and dress shoes. Nobody batted an eye.

And I think the ship DOES matter..or at least where it's sailing out of. When we sailed out of Florida, some guy tried to wear "church" jeans (really nice, dark wash, starched and pressed) to formal night and they refused him entry. When we sailed out of Galveston, nobody batted an eye at church jeans because down here, jeans can and often are in fact formal wear. :D

You will be fine with a golf shirt and a pair of khaki's. The reason that my DH and I dress up for "elegant night" is for having our picture taken. No one on land knows that we can get all gussy, so we do, on a cruise only though:D

Pack your most formal stuff and go!!!! You'll see a wide range of apparel in the dining room from very formal (tux and ball gowns) to shorts ad t-shirts. It doesn't bother me what a person is wearing on any night, and I don't assume to make judgements based on what they are wearing. Happy Sailing!!!!

Not at all. Carnival no longer offers a Formal Night. Instead, they now have a Cruise Elegant night. You can dress up as much as you want, but in your case, nice slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. A tie is suggested, but not required. Elegant night on Carnival is now considered more of an opportunity to increase revenue and photo sales, as their target demographic is not as interested in a traditional cruise experience as they previously were.

Edit:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faqs/dining_room_dress_requirements.aspx

The above is true and very accurate.

My DH no longer takes his tux on Carnival cruises.

On elegant nights he wears a golf shirt and long pants. :)

LuLu

The above is true and very accurate.

My DH no longer takes his tux on Carnival cruises.

On elegant nights he wears a golf shirt and long pants. :)

LuLu

Same here, stopped Tux and Suit 4 years ago. DW wears dress pants with a nice blouse, me Dockers with a nice polo shirt.

Pack your most formal stuff and go!!!! You'll see a wide range of apparel in the dining room from very formal (tux and ball gowns) to shorts ad t-shirts. It doesn't bother me what a person is wearing on any night, and I don't assume to make judgements based on what they are wearing. Happy Sailing!!!!

This is exactly the way we feel;) We were just off the Glory a couple of weeks ago and did see everything from Tux to t-****s.

I LOVE formal night! I've already started scouring thrift stores for a newer gown for me. If all else fails, I'll pack my 5 yr old stand by!

We're going to the thrift store soon to pick up some shorts and tees to wear since I need some new ones. IF I find a new dressy dress I like that I can wear to formal night, fine. If not, I'm dragging out the one black dress I own and dressing it up with one of my handmade shawls. :D

DH wears his "Key West" formals: a Guayabera shirt with dress pants and shoes. Me, I like a "little black dress" and a chance to wear kitten-heeled flip flops!:D

The best answer to a dress thread ever. We do the exact same thing. On the Magic the night before Cruise Elegant they announced "tomorrow is dress up night, men wear pants."

Works.

Edited by BallFour4