Royal's next Class of Ships

LOL

I was completly amazed how many people use the elevator to travel 1 or 2 flooors. I also hate people who try to get on the elevator before others get off.

Shelton

Please keep in mind some people are not physically able to walk up and down stairs for one reason or another.

LuLu

• 1 month later...
Please keep in mind some people are not physically able to walk up and down stairs for one reason or another.

LuLu

I understand but many people on Oasis last week went up 1 floor and they looked pretty young and fit with no sign of disability.

Seems very odd to me.

There called sail boats and are used in the industry. Also solar isn't a good reliable option in tropical environments. If you think you are abusing the environment why cruise I have to ask?

Haven't really got answers, I just know that every industry (and private citizen) needs to change its energy usage, and how it gets that energy.

Mainly for 2 reasons. Firstly, fossil fuels will run out, and secondly, more importantly, if we continue to abuse the planet as we are, life will change in ways we can't imagine.

However, that's not a discussion for these boards.

There called sail boats and are used in the industry. Also solar isn't a good reliable option in tropical environments. If you think you are abusing the environment why cruise I have to ask?

Hi topnole.

As I said I haven't got the answers, I was just replying to other posters with my thoughts, coherent or otherwise.

Why do I cruise? Because I enjoy it. Is it harming the environment? Yes, but so is EVERYTHING we all do, unless we live in a tree hut in a forest, and live off the land. Just living uses resources, chances are, the electricity we're using to post on CC is from burning fossil fuels, which is effecting the atmosphere, and the environment we're living in, as did the components of the device we're using, but we can all do ”our bit" by recycling, turning down the thermostat by a degree or 2 and lots of other things.

Don't misunderstand, I'm no Eco-warrior, but I am aware of what's going on.

This thread is about new class's of ship. Most new ships now-a-days uses many new features that are more environmentally friendly, from paint on the hull that makes it more fuel efficient, to the industrial machines that wash napkins, table cloths and our formal wear clothes.

The industry itself knows it needs to adapt, in many ways, but not least because of new emission rules that are coming, especially in USA waters.

As I say, I haven't got the answers, because it's not my area of expertise, but that doesn't mean, and it won't stop me from asking the questions.

It will be hard to beat the wow of oasis class. Not sure when that will happen but it could be a while. Just the size was amazing and I doubt the would do another 40 increase in size.

Hello CCers!

Just wondering, when Royal start building new ships in the 2020's, what features do you want on them, I would like a mix of the WOW factor of Oasis Class and the glamour and Seaview Cafe of Radiance Class

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that. Just remember the energy use is divided by about 7/8 k people. So not that bad compared to private jets, etc. Now that is hammering the environment. Cruise on and cheers as well.

Hi topnole.

As I said I haven't got the answers, I was just replying to other posters with my thoughts, coherent or otherwise.

Why do I cruise? Because I enjoy it. Is it harming the environment? Yes, but so is EVERYTHING we all do, unless we live in a tree hut in a forest, and live off the land. Just living uses resources, chances are, the electricity we're using to post on CC is from burning fossil fuels, which is effecting the atmosphere, and the environment we're living in, as did the components of the device we're using, but we can all do ”our bit" by recycling, turning down the thermostat by a degree or 2 and lots of other things.

Don't misunderstand, I'm no Eco-warrior, but I am aware of what's going on.

This thread is about new class's of ship. Most new ships now-a-days uses many new features that are more environmentally friendly, from paint on the hull that makes it more fuel efficient, to the industrial machines that wash napkins, table cloths and our formal wear clothes.

The industry itself knows it needs to adapt, in many ways, but not least because of new emission rules that are coming, especially in USA waters.

As I say, I haven't got the answers, because it's not my area of expertise, but that doesn't mean, and it won't stop me from asking the questions.

Edited by topnole

I understand but many people on Oasis last week went up 1 floor and they looked pretty young and fit with no sign of disability.

Seems very odd to me.

You cant always tell someone's physical limitations by looking at them. Many physical disabilities are not visible.

Hello CCers!

Just wondering, when Royal start building new ships in the 2020's, what features do you want on them, I would like a mix of the WOW factor of Oasis Class and the glamour and Seaview Cafe of Radiance Class

Thanks

I think the success (or lack thereof) of Quantum Class could be the biggest deciding factor of what cruise ships may look like in the 2020's. The entertainment technology and other things about the ship are just outright amazing imo. I'm hoping I walk off that ship in Dec not believing what I just sailed on and in exponentially greater awe than when I disembarked Oasis.

Hello CCers!

Thanks

One potential issue with the continued building of mega ships will be ports of call and the potential of people getting tired of the same ports of call.

There is talk of Tampa expanding their port, but with an issue of getting under the bridge, so I think there is a chance to see some smaller ship builds, but with the trend to create land vacations on the high seas, not sure how much of a chance to make an embarkation closer for driving for Western Caribbean itineraries.

As to specifics, I enjoyed the very long walking track on Celebrity's M class of ships till they retrofitted them to get more cabins. :(

Have had bad experience on Freedom class and waiting on elevators. Not so on Oasis class and can't explain why either. Escalators with the push towards kids/families, to me, would be an accident waiting to happen.

The other issue here with large ships is places like Australia needing smaller ships for access to certain areas so who knows what they are thinking

I'm thinking something around radiance class or even vision class to be able to replace the aged small ship fleet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='DonnaK']You cant always tell someone's physical limitations by looking at them. Many physical disabilities are not visible.[/quote]

Quite true, however, you likely can't deny the Wal-Mart'ing of society has made a lot of people quite callous to what SEEM to be frivolous "disabilities" today.

It's quite annoying to see someone pop out of a car parked in a handicapped spot and trot to the door and watch some poor old lady struggle from halfway down the aisle. Sure "anxiety" or "ADHD" are disabilities, but I'm calling "hobbled" and "frail" much more pressing ones for parking spots, elevators, etc.

I'm not in someone's head and I'm not saying all people shouldn't get help. I'm just saying it's easy to see why a lot of folks seem reluctant to see less visible disabilities.

Would be nice if some of the lessons learned on the Quantum and Oasis ships could be translated to something more Radiance-sized. There are many markets for which a ship carrying 4000+ people simply isn't going to be practical.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']I agree and would add that it would be interesting to reintroduce a ship class size similar to Radiance class ships with the combination of those features versus the mega size that is Oasis class. Nothing wrong with Oasis / Allure, but it might be interesting to see what a 2020 version of the Radiance class size with the best of both as you suggest would be like.[/QUOTE]

agree. :):)

[quote name='MichaelCMTX']Would be nice if some of the lessons learned on the Quantum and Oasis ships could be translated to something more Radiance-sized. There are many markets for which a ship carrying 4000+ people simply isn't going to be practical.[/quote]
I think many of us would be in favor of that, but I don't see it happening at Royal. Every new ship that comes out has many more staterooms, and now ships going through dry dock are having staterooms added. It's all about cash flow, and I suspect Radiance type ships (90K tons, 2500 pax) don't have the cash flow potential that the larger ships do. Edited by clarea

[quote name='mo&fran']Indeed, Oasis class is using solar to meet some electric needs.
The comments on issues with nuclear are spot on, I have a friend that worked for ABB in the constrction of land based reactors and he mentioned some of the issues , like security, that have been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Been on both the Oasis & Allure and haven't seen/noticed any solar panels or cells. Where are they located?

[quote name='nelblu']Been on both the Oasis & Allure and haven't seen/noticed any solar panels or cells. Where are they located?[/quote]
Roof of Viking Crown.

[IMG]http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/CaptainsVoyageForum/CVF-04/Screenshot2010-02-20at85622AM.png[/IMG] Edited by clarea

[quote name='clarea']Roof of Viking Crown.

[IMG]http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/CaptainsVoyageForum/CVF-04/Screenshot2010-02-20at85622AM.png[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanks, there does not seem to be that many to run the promenade 24/7. Perchance, do you know how much power they generate?

[quote name='nelblu']Thanks, there does not seem to be that many to run the promenade 24/7. Perchance, do you know how much power they generate?[/quote]
Sorry, no idea.