Royal May Charge for Some Entertainment on Quantum

I see this as a natural progression of paying more to get more.

Guess I am more skepticle than you. I see this as a continuing move to "We will supply average food and so-so entertainment. If you want quality, and by quality I mean what you have come to expect from previous RCI cruises, then open you pocketbook."

If they are going to move to an "up-charge" they better "upgrade" the entertainers...because some of them barely entertain.

Edited by TC1957

Can you just imagine the stampede of people asking for their money back/OBC/free cruise etc. because they had to pay for entertainment that wasn't entertaining?!!

I saw the actual press release too. My guess is that RCCL purposely leaked the upcharge language in an exclusive to Sea Trade to see what kind of reaction it might get.

We're booked on Quantum. After being spoiled by all the fantastic "free" entertainment on Oasis and Allure, and given the price of this cruise to begin with, my husband will probably insist we cancel and go back to Windstar, which has absolutely no entertainment, but a lot better ports and food for the same price, since there's NO WAY he would pay for entertainment on a cruise.

I feel very different than most of those that posted. I would be willing to pay for a special show if the cost was within reason. When I go to LV, I pay a fortune to see some of the shows along with paying for meals and hotels. I don't think it is that much different. I could go to the cheap or free shows in LV, or pay more and see something much better.

James Taylor is doing a TA on the QM2 in August. If they were to bring on that kind of entertainment, I would gladly pay a premium to see the show.

That being said, I would never pay to see any of the production shows, or the current "headliners" that they have now.

Edited by gaylemh

Certain staples will stay free, such as the regular Broadway style shows and reviews, but there will be an upcharge for specialty venues. Norwegian seems to love the up charge. Their cirque show / dinner immediately comes to mind.

Carnival just announced their live concerts concept. Perhaps RCCL is going to try to book premium entertainment? IO think if a well known band or comedian was on board, then people would pay extra to go see them. It seems like a pretty easy source of revenue for the cruise lines.

If it becomes one big nickel and dime experience, I don't think I would continue to cruise travel. They build these billion dollar ships, then need to make money at a level they find acceptable. They know how much on average each person needs to spend to make the sailing profitable. They are going to find as many ways as possible to get there.

Guess I am more skeptical than you. I see this as a continuing move to "We will supply average food and so-so entertainment. If you want quality, and by quality I mean what you have come to expect from previous RCI cruises, then open you pocketbook."

If they are going to move to an "up-charge" they better "upgrade" the entertainers...because some of them barely entertain.

I agree. But, as far as I know the entertainment in the theater has always been so-so. Sadly, in the last ten years I can only remember one headliner and Chicago on the Allure. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers are always 4 singers and 8 dancers where the only part of the formula that changes are the songs. Although I have noticed the costumes and scenery have improved in the last few years.

There's lots more. The Quest, Ice shows, the old Love and Marriage show, and most bars have some sort of entertainment every night. At the end of the day, it's up to us as individuals to determine if the changes are worth the cost.

We are booked on the Quantum and have reserved our time for Mamma Mia. Will we pay for entertainment on ships, nope, will sit on the balcony and enjoy the wonderful world of the sea before paying for entertainment.

We have paid to go to some of the specialty restaurants and we will be going to Chops on quantum, but that is a birthday and retirement celebration. We have enjoyed this restaurant several times on the other ships and will do it again. As far as entertainment, Allure and Oasis had some of the best we have ever seen on a cruise, but not sure we would actually pay extra for it.

So, no matter who they schedule for their lead entertainers, we won't pay to attend and depends on who it is, may not even make an attempt to attend even when it is included.

But, this is just us, others may have different views than us.

Imagine the embarrassment for both the cruiseline and the so-called "name entertainer" if the entertainer or the show ends up performing in front of a half-empty theater because people refuse to pay the "upcharge". :D

unless I am paying to see the London Cast of CATS or the latest Cirq du Soleil incarnation, no way. I don't see the free ones as it is.

There's no way I would pay for Cats or Cirque. Saw "O" at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and after a few dives and trampolines feats it became redundant and almost fell asleep. Give me a good comic or a singer act and keep the rest.

I've seen a remake of Jersey Boys and ABBA on RCL ships and they were enjoyable and entertaining.

I'm going on the Oasis in 3 weeks and my wife and I have already agreed that we're not there for the entertainment, or at the very least, not Hairspray, which is what I'm assuming they'd charge for.

We'll go to the Aquatheater and the comedy show, and thats it. If they were going to charge us to go to either, we would avoid.

There's too many other free things to do on the ships nowadays for us to pay to do any of it.

There are no upcharges for any entertainment on Oasis. You would be making a big mistake not to enjoy what is being offered free of charge. Millions have paid good money to see Hairspray, Ice Shows with professional skaters, a Circ de Soleil style water show in the Aqua Theater, and comedians in the Comedy Club that have been on tv and do the club circuit.

The entertainment is good enough that they request that you make reservations so that you are assured a seat. People who don't bother are seated after those with reservations on an as available basis. Your reservation is coded into your Seapass so there are no tickets to keep track of.

Why would you think that there is a charge for anything?

We are booked on the Quantum and have reserved our time for Mamma Mia. Will we pay for entertainment on ships, nope, will sit on the balcony and enjoy the wonderful world of the sea before paying for entertainment.

We have paid to go to some of the specialty restaurants and we will be going to Chops on quantum, but that is a birthday and retirement celebration. We have enjoyed this restaurant several times on the other ships and will do it again. As far as entertainment, Allure and Oasis had some of the best we have ever seen on a cruise, but not sure we would actually pay extra for it.

So, no matter who they schedule for their lead entertainers, we won't pay to attend and depends on who it is, may not even make an attempt to attend even when it is included.

But, this is just us, others may have different views than us.

I was going to say exactly that. I'll be sitting watching the sea. Why would I pay extra for some show when the best entertainment on the ship is already included in the cruise fare.

Aren't there some NCL ships where they charge for entertainment? If they can make it work I am sure other lines will follow unfortunately. :(

I believe you are correct. And coupled with "dynamic dining", which looks a lot like an NCL concept, so much for Royal's self proclaimed innovation. If RCCL starts to look and feel more like NCL . . .

But what do I know? I'm not in marketing, I'm just a long time cruiser who really enjoys the RCCL product, and I won't pay for entertainment.

I believe you are correct. And coupled with "dynamic dining", which looks a lot like an NCL concept, so much for Royal's self proclaimed innovation. If RCCL starts to look and feel more like NCL . . .

But what do I know? I'm not in marketing, I'm just a long time cruiser who really enjoys the RCCL product, and I won't pay for entertainment.

Yes NCL has a dinner show that people have to pay for. I just can't see with all of the dining stuff already put out on Quantum that there would still be another dining option. Hopefully it's all an error in the story reported but it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing something like the article says. They won't get me to participate. I'm not thrilled in the Quantum class at this point anyway. I'm on the inaugural sailing but at this point have no inclination to even think about booking Anthem.

On current sailings there are promo's for 'theme cruises' (themecruisefinder dot com) which are booked through a specific TA sponsoring the themed cruise. You may only attend the special entertainment/events when booking with the sponsoring TA. Many people pay big bucks to the TA to attend the entertainment ie wine cruises, golf cruises, poker cruises, rock and roll cruises, celebrity cruises etc. I suppose there are a fair amount of people filling cabins for the themed cruises so why shouldn't RCL try to get a slice of the pie. RCI isn't going to solicit big names for free or for what I pay for a cruise and frankly I'm happy with paying 1/4 the price and enjoying the free food and entertainment. I would not pay extra for any of the current entertainment options and can't imagine paying extra for entertainment (ok maybe Bette Midler) but it could be a good option for people who can & want to spend the big bucks. The beauty of a cruise is that everyone can have an individual experience based upon their personal interests.

My girlfriend who always gets at least an Owners Suite for thousands of dollars is always ticked off when I tell her how I enjoyed the same cruise for $800 to $1000 pp for a balcony. When you look at the suite amenities they are not really getting that much more for the extra money. Perhaps more options for more money would be good options for them as well.

Edited by travelbuddies

DH received a survey from

RCI yesterday all about Broadway type entertainment. They listed maybe 15 or so shows and asked several questions about them - one being would you pay to see this show. His answer was NO on all of them.

Anyone else get the survey?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

RCI yesterday all about Broadway type entertainment. They listed maybe 15 or so shows and asked several questions about them - one being would you pay to see this show. His answer was NO on all of them.

Haven't received it but my answer to paying would be the same. Hope I get it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Guest maddycat

I didn't get the survey, but wish that I had. I frequently go to Broadway shows. Most cruise ship entertainment is mediocre at best. The "headliners" are mostly has beens and one hit wonders. There is no way that I would pay for entertainment on a cruise ship.

The only entertainment I can conceive of paying for on Quantum is the fights that break out over seats after the Mamma Mia intermission.:eek: Does RCI have a plan? Surely RCI can't be so clueless to not see this causing problems.

Thom

I don't mind paying for some things, like specialty dinners or experiences such as Chef's Table. I would draw the line at paying for entertainment, though...I wouldn't even book a ship that charged for entertainment, unless it was for something very special such as a concert. We have season tickets for Broadway in Houston, so I don't see the need to pay for entertainment on a ship.

We cancelled Quantum..if I wanted thd Norwegian concept I would sail Norwegian..I don't for a reason

Agreed...

NCL kills you with the charges...I can not see paying almost $4000 for a cruise then paying for dinners and entertainment.