Can anyone explain the freestyle dining on Norwegian cruises?

Tacoma1

I guess it all depends on the person, but I enjoy the idea of not having to be ready at a certain time for dinner or worry what type of people I will be seated with at dinner, I also do not care if a waiter remembers if I like bottled water v. Tap v. This or that. I honestly do not get the gripe about different waiters that everyone always mentions when comparing ncl freestyle to other lines set dinning. I like to be able to pay for something if I want it and even if I do not I am able to find something I want somewhere. I guess I'm just easy going and don't need the bells and whistles and waiters dancing on tables to keep me happy. I like being away from work and on vacation whether or not I'm on ncl or wherever.

I would agree with you. We have been on 24 cruises including all of the major lines. NCL offers a good product and we have enjoyed "freestyle" dining with them.

Edited by tip

Wow! I wouldn't mind waiting 15 minutes but 45 is ridiculous! It is really an eye-opener to hear "the rest of the story" about free style dining!

We also had to wait 45 minutes but we did have a party of ten. What was crazy was the fact that it would take 20 to forty minutes to get our drink orders filled after being seated. We had one set of servers that were good the whole week. The servers never get a chance to know you. Did not like anytime dinning at all.

I take it you never ate in the Main Dining Room?

OP, Freestyle dining is like eating at your favorite restaurant but showing up without reservations. If you are hungry when everyone else is then of course there will be a wait. If we receive a pager than we go to the nearest bar and have our pre-dinner drink there. Obviously Freestyle is not for everyone but we like it.

I wasn't aware there was anything but the "cafeteria". I ate all my meals there - 10 days worth; though I often had late night snacks in a small grill type bar, soups, burgers & fries type of food. This was an Atlantis chartered cruise and I'm sure the daily newspaper would have mentioned any dining rooms.

I wasn't aware there was anything but the "cafeteria". I ate all my meals there - 10 days worth; though I often had late night snacks in a small grill type bar, soups, burgers & fries type of food. This was an Atlantis chartered cruise and I'm sure the daily newspaper would have mentioned any dining rooms.

Like every other NCL ship the Star has two main dining rooms. They are on deck 6 on the deck plans.

Wow! Absolutely amazed that some people spend all that money on a vacation and don't take the time to find out what is available to them. Information on dining options is readily available on the cruise line's web site, on numerous review web sites, and even in the information binder located in every room. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

A more tricky situation to explain traditional dining to the un-initiated as it differs so much from anywhere else.

1) Eat at the same time every night

2) at the same restaurant

3) at the same table

4) with the same people

5) and make a big deal about having the same waiters

If you did this at home people would think you quite odd.

Edited by helpthejuggler

A more tricky situation to explain traditional dining to the un-initiated as it differs so much from anywhere else.

3) at the same table

4) with the same people

Well, technically I guess that is accurate...

But I DO enjoy having the same waiters and everything all cruise. They give you special attention, joke around, show you tricks.. I felt like I had much better service having the same waiters ~ and I always give them extra at the end of the week. (Above the gratuities that are prepaid). If you have different people every night ~ they have no incentive to make your time special.

This of course is just my opinion in my experiences. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But I DO enjoy having the same waiters and everything all cruise. They give you special attention, joke around, show you tricks.. I felt like I had much better service having the same waiters ~ and I always give them extra at the end of the week. (Above the gratuities that are prepaid). If you have different people every night ~ they have no incentive to make your time special.

I can see the possible advantages to having the same wait staff all week but tricks/singing/dancing? Waiters are for serving food - magicians are for tricks - singers are for singing - dancers are for dancing. (Yes, I can be a curmudgeonly, middle-aged b*gg*r at times):D

Does "freestyle" dining work well when a table for two is preferred/requested?

It probably works better for small groups (2-4) than large groups (8+)

If you look closely at the deck plans for the NCL ships, you will see the majority of tables in the MDR are 2 or 4 covers. Most groups of travelers are less than 4 pax hence the MDR reflects this.

We had a table of 7 on the NCL Epic last year and were seated with no problems. We never had a wait, and we dined at around 7 p.m. each evening. Maybe it was a fluke, but we have yet to experience long waits at MDRs on NCL. My parents sail NCL a couple times each year and also very rarely experience waits for tables for 2.

NCL's freestyle dining has worked quite well for us, and much better than RCCL's MyTime Dining did on our recent cruise with them. NCL has freestyle dining down! Other lines, IMO, do not seem to do it as well with the Anytime/MyTime dining options.

3) at the same table

4) with the same people

Here's a better way of explaining the difference:

Some people enjoy meeting others and becoming friends over the course of a cruise. At the very least, they have other people they can get to know for a week or two and enjoy sharing daily experiences with. These people prefer traditional dining.

Some people don't want to meet new people and prefer to dine by themselves where they don't have to make an effort to be friendly. They aren't interested in the lives of anyone else. These people prefer free style dining.

Some people enjoy meeting others and becoming friends over the course of a cruise. At the very least, they have other people they can get to know for a week or two and enjoy sharing daily experiences with. These people prefer traditional dining.

Some people don't want to meet new people and prefer to dine by themselves where they don't have to make an effort to be friendly. They aren't interested in the lives of anyone else. These people prefer free style dining.

I enjoy meeting new people just fine but would rather it be on my terms.

3) at the same table

4) with the same people

One of the reasons people like cruising is precisely the dining environment described.

What I find odd is that some people go on a cruise which offers something not offered ANYWHERE ELSE : traditional cruise ship dining - and then try to avoid it - apparently in large part because it is not what they do at home.

What they do select is a dining option which let's them wait for the same sort of dining experience they can get year round at Olive Garden, Applebee's, Ponderosa, etc.

I love it when my waitstaff sets down a plate of lemon slices every night for me without my asking after the first night. The waiter and I had a running joke when he came to our table with the pepper mill -- I didn't want any but my daughter and hubby did.

The first night you get all the intro questions out of the way (is this your first cruise, where do you live, etc) and on subsequent nights, you can just talk about what everyone did that day on board or in port.

It probably works better for small groups (2-4) than large groups (8+)

If you look closely at the deck plans for the NCL ships, you will see the majority of tables in the MDR are 2 or 4 covers. Most groups of travelers are less than 4 pax hence the MDR reflects this.

I looked at the NCL website deck plans and don't see the dining room tables in the dining room diagrams. Thanks for your reply. It's good to know we won't have any trouble getting a table for two.

Happy cruising!

I resemble that remark! :-)

Edited by Treven

<snip>

What I find odd is that some people go on a cruise which offers something not offered ANYWHERE ELSE : traditional cruise ship dining - and then try to avoid it - apparently in large part because it is not what they do at home.

<snip>

Being told what to wear; when to eat; where to eat and whom to eat with sounds to me too much like my army days! (Thankfully the food is way better:D)

Does "freestyle" dining work well when a table for two is preferred/requested?

My experience was that we sat by ourselves whether we wanted to or not. The first 3 nights of our Nov 2013 cruise, I think it was the Jewel out of NOLA, we would ask to sit with other people. Each night they would seat us at a table with 4 or 6 chairs, come back 5 minutes later and collect the other place settings without a word, then take our orders for dinner as we sat alone. The fourth night we invited the couple behind us in line to join us and made our own party of 4. We had dinner with that couple the rest of the cruise.

That reminds me of another thing I disliked about NCL Freestyle...several posts mentioned the beeper and the 15-45 min wait after checking in at the dining room. The couldn't even pass out the beepers fast enough to avoid a line to get a beeper! We were waiting 10-15 minutes in line BEFORE getting a beeper. Then the wait in the bar with our "champagne". Yeah, but it seems they were out of champagne so they were only offering the house red or white wine.

I also agree with the posts regarding the quality of the food and service being lower than expected, at least in the regular, free main dinning room. Besides ignoring our request to sit with another couple or more, cocktail sauce was not offered with shrimp cocktail until I requested it and horseradish sauce was not JUST not offered, the waiter had no clue what horseradish sauce was! He did have some difficulty with English, but he could have gotten someone who did. The meal was prime rib by the way. Isn't it common to offer horseradish with prime rib?

OK, in their defense (NCL), I did hear that many of the ship's experienced waiters had been sent to the new ship, Gettaway (or maybe Breakaway), and it was like the first or second cruise for about half the wait staff. Not only that, this was one of those inexpensive, lull-period cruises between Thanksgiving and mid-december that attract bargain hunting cruisers (like me) who do not want to pay an extra $300 to $500 for our 7 nightly meals but still want a sit-down meal, not a buffet. The pay extra dining rooms were mostly empty. Our friends shared their complementary loyalty reward coupons with us and treated us to the French restaurant one evening. There were about 10% of the tables occupied and this was around 6:30 pm.

That experience is why we've decided to stick with RCCL & CCL. Two NCL cruises were enough. Besides, it's hard enough to work your way up the loyalty perks ladder on just 2 cruise lines.

(Not that that is my main reason for cruising, but it certainly does make it more pleasant. Having free internet, free drinks, free laundry, a special dining room, a private lounge, and a special line at Guest Services and Shore Excursions won't be too shabby either. )

Sorry to get so far off topic.

I love it when my waitstaff sets down a plate of lemon slices every night for me without my asking after the first night. The waiter and I had a running joke when he came to our table with the pepper mill -- I didn't want any but my daughter and hubby did.

Or when they know you love lots of pepper and they bring out the the ship's galley giant 3 pound can of pepper for you, as a joke, as they did for my brother one evening.

Another time, another cruise...we were talking and laughing so much with the waiters, that we just about the last ones in the dining room. So the waiter picks up 2 pepper grinders, one each hand, and starts by telling us is we know about the ground crew people who direct the airplanes up to the jet-way at the gate. And do we know how they motion to the pilot by waving their lights, shaped something like these pepper grinders. So now he starts walking backwards towards the door, waving both pepper grinders up an back together in a come-along gesture. We all just cracked up. We had never enjoyed being thrown out of a place as much as that night.

Being told what to wear; when to eat; where to eat and whom to eat with sounds to me too much like my army days! (Thankfully the food is way better:D)

You must have been in a pretty fancy army: linen table cloths with real china - as opposed to stainless steel mess trays in the chow line like most armies have; table service from attentive waiters rather having to have some commissary man dump it on your tray; having table mates reasonably well-dressed and able to discuss various topics and travel experiences rather than a bunch in grubby fatigues complaining about their NCO's; having a choice of mess halls (apparently - so you were not told where to eat).

One of the reasons people like cruising is precisely the dining environment described.

What they do select is a dining option which let's them wait for the same sort of dining experience they can get year round at Olive Garden, Applebee's, Ponderosa, etc.

Wrong assumption. Many of us do anytime because that is what we prefer. We don't like having to make small talk with strangers on our vacation. We go on a cruise to reconnect with each other, not to connect with the others. That is why it is nice that the cruiselines are offering us that choice now. We absolutely hated it when we had to sit and dine with strangers before anytime came out. There was nothing wrong with our table mates, we just didn't enjoy the experience. If you do great...but don't assume that everyone else is the same as you. We don't enjoy it. It makes us uncomfortable and that is the last thing we want on our vacations. There are many, many reasons why we love cruising. The traditional dining experience you so enjoy is not one of our reasons. In fact to us it was one of the turn offs before anytime came about. I don't think I would ever be able to convince DH to sail a ship that only had traditional again.

That's needlessly harsh. For some people, the term painfully shy is not just a figure of speech. For those who are uncomfortable making small talk with strangers, and stress the whole time about sounding ridiculous/boring, that's hardly a relaxing vacation.