Can anyone explain the freestyle dining on Norwegian cruises?

Tacoma1

You must have been in a pretty fancy army: linen table cloths with real china - as opposed to stainless steel mess trays in the chow line like most armies have; table service from attentive waiters rather having to have some commissary man dump it on your tray; having table mates reasonably well-dressed and able to discuss various topics and travel experiences rather than a bunch in grubby fatigues complaining about their NCO's; having a choice of mess halls (apparently - so you were not told where to eat).

You miss the point - I want the choice of who I converse with at dinner (or not); when I go to dinner; where I go to dinner etc.. The fancy tablecloths etc. are a given (well except on Carnival now apparently).

Britsh Army - choice of messhalls - you are having a laugh aren't you?;)

Wrong assumption. Many of us do anytime because that is what we prefer. .... I don't think I would ever be able to convince DH to sail a ship that only had traditional again.

Of course everyone has their own preferences. However, I do not believe there are any lines (mass market, certainly) which only have traditional dining. Sadly, a number of lines which have both, have dedicated so much space to anytime that people who want traditional often cannot get their choice of time - and sometimes (if they book late) cannot get traditional at all. On the other hand, NCL only offers Freestyle - putting them out of the picture from my point of view.

Some people don't want to meet new people and prefer to dine by themselves where they don't have to make an effort to be friendly. They aren't interested in the lives of anyone else. These people prefer free style dining.

This really isn't true at all. I travel with my family and prefer to be at a table with just them. When we are on a cruise, the kids (both teens) are off during the day doing their own thing. Dinner is the one time that we make sure the kids join us and we all get together. While I enjoy meeting new people during my cruise, I prefer to be with my family at dinner. Now, all that being said, we have always chosen traditional dining. Its nice not to have to think at dinner. You know what time to be there and where to go. The waiters are a friendly face waiting for you when you get to your table. We find it to be a very pleasant part of our vacation.

Of course everyone has their own preferences. However, I do not believe there are any lines (mass market, certainly) which only have traditional dining. Sadly, a number of lines which have both, have dedicated so much space to anytime that people who want traditional often cannot get their choice of time - and sometimes (if they book late) cannot get traditional at all. On the other hand, NCL only offers Freestyle - putting them out of the picture from my point of view.

Cunard is the only one I know only offers traditional 2 sittings in the MDR.

Being told what to wear; when to eat; where to eat and whom to eat with sounds to me too much like my army days! (Thankfully the food is way better:D)

I never felt I had to do anything on my cruises, other than going through security to get on, doing the muster drill, and getting off the ship on disembarkation day. I like knowing that I'll be eating at 8 (or whatever) and not twenty or thirty minutes after standing in line outside the dining room if wanting to eat when others want to. We have a mid-afternoon nosh to tide us over (another excuse to get the delicious Princess cookies:)) and that's that. If for some reason (which is rare when we have traditional dining), we decide to eat earlier, we go to the buffet or grab one of those delicious grilled chicken burgers at the poolside grill. I never felt I had to pass some fashion test to get in -- and don't feel bad about not wearing shorts to the MDR as to me, it's a special occasion, even if it's not formal night.

I know that both HAL and Celebrity offer early and late traditional dining times.

Princess also offers early and late traditional.

I know that both HAL and Celebrity offer early and late traditional dining times.

Princess also offers early and late traditional.

All the lines (other than NCL) still offer both. But what I think helpthejuggler was saying' date=' based on the post he was responding to, was that Cunard [b']only[/b] offers early and late traditional seating. In other words, no Anytime option.

All the lines (other than NCL) still offer both. But what I think helpthejuggler was saying, based on the post he was responding to, was that Cunard only offers early and late traditional seating. In other words, no Anytime option.

No - Cunard does offer anytime option as well.'

That experience is why we've decided to stick with RCCL & CCL. Two NCL cruises were enough. Besides, it's hard enough to work your way up the loyalty perks ladder on just 2 cruise lines.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I appreciate your honesty and the description of your experience!

We enjoy RCCL and like their loyalty program. After comparing NCL to RCCL, I'm not sure whether we will give NCL a try. I will continue to do more research before making a final decision.

Edited by JimAOk1945

No - Cunard does offer anytime option as well.'

Brittania Club rooms offer this but not in the Brittania MDR.

There is a separate Club dining room.

Only passengers in Club balcony rooms have use of this dining room.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Well that is definately not sad news to me because the more ships with anytime the more options we have.

Well that is definately not sad news to me because the more ships with anytime the more options we have.

Oceania only has open dining I believe...i.e. freestyle. As pointed out only Cunard still only has set times BUT it too has alternative dining if you don't want to dress up. I have traveled Cunard and will again...even though it means a lot of extra clothes...

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly,, freestyle dining is a major reason my hubby and I continue booking Ncl (3rd coming up august),,, haven't waited more then 15 minutes,,, tried each dining room service

A few times and food was great , except one we paid fee for! Personally don't enjoy being told when we have to eat, and love dining together,,,:)