Found the hidden cookies

Laurie2cats

Just spent seven days on the Oosterdam. Didn't find the cookies in Lido dining until day 4 because they are not on display. You have to ask for them from the person who scoops ice cream.

Also, unless the bowl of strawberries are (infrequently) available at either breakfast or lunch, one has to ask for a (small) bowl which will (eventually) be delivered directly to you at your table! :)

Sometimes they even hide the bread pudding behind the Ice Cream counter, too.

From my observation, without questioning a Lido Manager, the large bowl of Bread Pudding appears to now be located BEHIND the Ice Cream station, presumeably for 'regulated' portion distribution, rather than (formally) having been made available in a 'publically' accessible location! Really, just another type of cutback! :(

Doesn't bother me to have to ask for the bread pudding. I have visions of it on one of the cruises and it had been totally wrecked by people mooshing it around instead taking nice, neat portions. It just didn't look edible. As for the cookies, it has always been too easy to put six in a napkin and take them back to one's room. Maybe it is better to have to ask for them also!!

From my observation, without questioning a Lido Manager, the large bowl of Bread Pudding appears to now be located BEHIND the Ice Cream station, presumeably for 'regulated' portion distribution, rather than (formally) having been made available in a 'publically' accessible location! Really, just another type of cutback! :(

For whatever reason this is likely a good idea, especially with the bread pudding and sauce. Some pax make a serious mess with both, spilling all over the counter and it often takes ages for someone to clean it up.

Cutbacks ... or portion control? Its absurd that people have to do their Oliver "please, sir, I'd like some more" Twist routine to get what once was available commonly to all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

You know it costs more when you take something that was self service and add in labor to serve it, right?

Yes, I understand that. I suppose HAL believes they'll go thru less food and save $$$ by (possibly) adding staff to ration certain foodstuffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

For whatever reason this is likely a good idea, especially with the bread pudding and sauce. Some pax make a serious mess with both, spilling all over the counter and it often takes ages for someone to clean it up.

If stuff is seriously messed up...I will not eat it!!! There used to be a very popular steak house in another town near us...the place to go on Saturday night...they had an awesome salad bar...with nice bread and wheels of cheese...and a beautiful bowl of sardines for your salad...except as we used to say around 9 or so on a Saturday night...forget the sardines...some drunk had gotten to it and they would be all miss-mashed up:eek: Taking something very yummy and edible and making it..at least to me inedible!! I say good idea the bread pudding is not self serve:D

I'd bet it was health inspectors/regulations or a concern to keep Noro at bay that lead to the decision to keep it behind glass if I was a gambling woman. :cool:

I too feel better knowing that it is being dished by someone who is presumably trained in correct food handling techniques! :D ;)

Edited by localady

I'd bet it was health inspectors/regulations or a concern to keep Noro at bay that lead to the decision to keep it behind glass if I was a gambling woman. :cool:

I too feel better knowing that it is being dished by someone who is presumably trained in correct food handling techniques! :D ;)

AMEN to that!

One could just assume the negative angle on this one and start shouting "CUTBACK".

But we all know that anagram of the word "Assume".

Although it is hard to understand how a dish made primarily with leftover stale bread )that is normally thrown away) could be part of a cutback program.

Or one could ask the staff and find out that the US Public Health Service is cracking down on any buffet food items that are not located behind / under the required sneeze guards.

Leaving an uncovered chafing dish on a buffet counter for self service is no longer allowed.

Several cruise ships recently lost points on USPH inspections for this very reason.

One could just assume the negative angle on this one and start shouting "CUTBACK".

Although it is hard to understand how a dish made primarily with leftover stale bread )that is normally thrown away) could be part of a cutback program.

Or one could ask the staff and find out that the US Public Health Service is cracking down on any buffet food items that are not located behind / under the required sneeze guards.

Leaving an uncovered chafing dish on a buffet counter for self service is no longer allowed.

Several cruise ships recently lost points on USPH inspections for this very reason.

Gosh, I wish I was a gambling woman! ;)

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, HAL was complying with new and improved health regulations.

Edited by localady

what? common sense? don't you know that is not allowed :p:D

Thank you Bruce - makes total sense - and probably wise as well;)

For years I would not eat the Bread Pudding because it looked so awful after other cruisers had :eek: "played in it." Our last couple of cruises I very much liked the fact that a HAL server dished it up at the Ice Cream station.

As for the Cookies - same thing. Too many people "touching" a Cookie I might want to eat an hour later.

I recently took a cruise on Norwegian. There almost everything in the buffet was self-serve. This was a cruise with a lot of kids on it, but I never saw any messes or abuses (I was surprised). But what really struck me was how smoothly and quickly things went. On HAL you have to wait for a long time for every item, you have to practically beg for larger portions, and of course there is gridlock at the stations.