Amtrak Experiment from Ontario

lisakoivu

Hey, fellow Canucks

Just booked Amtrak for our Christmas cruise on BA to NY. We live near London. I was concerned about weather (never cruised at Christmas before) and agonized about driving, as we usually do. I also agonized about flying, which can have weather issues. Then I wondered about the train, but it took some experimenting to get that right too.

Round trip price for four from Niagara falls was $704,which was not too bad. That would be coming in Saturday and sleeping over, which we would do, never travel on the day of the cruise! LOL.

The catch is that the train left too early Sunday when we'd return.... we'd have to stay in NYC until Monday. It's not a terrible idea, but the costs start to add up then.

So then I looked at leaving from Depew, Buffalo. Many more trains from there and there is supposed to be ample parking. Round trip for all four of us is $496. If I had booked earlier, I think I could even have gotten a better fare. We'll be rolling in about 6:30 on the Saturday before we leave and then out at 3:40 on the Sunday after we dock. There is a 1:20 train, but I saved $200 by doing the 3:40.

If you deduct the $280 we'd spend on parking at the terminal, it's not a bad deal. I'm sharing it on this board as well as East Coast because I'm not sure it's a great way to structure cruises leaving from NJ, but it should work well for BA.

We live close to the NF border and have taken the train to New York several times from Depew. There is always lots of parking and as you've found out it is much cheaper. Easy to get around from Penn Station, lots of cabs and the subway is also right there. Don't venture too far from the train when it stops in Albany, the stop is usually quicker than most people think and we've watched many people race back to the train before it departs. Its great sailing out of New York.

We live on Grand Island, NY, near Niagara Falls NY. We have taken the train out of Depew many times it is excellent. NCL offers a discount for Amtrak transportation if you spend one night in NYC before the cruise, it is a 20% discount. V234 is the promo code. Plus they have free WiFi and a dining car available. Amtrak has great, free well lit parking for the duration of your cruise, we have never had a problem. Let me add that unlike Nia Falls and Buffalo, Depew is open 24 hours a day.

Edited by martinchem

Wonderful info. Wish I'd thought of this last year. We cruised mid-March out of NYC and I still had all the same weather thoughts as you, even if it was March. We were lucky...a freak snow storm hit Washington area but not NYC so we were okay. Will think of the train if I do this again.

Why don't you look at flying out of Toronto island, Porter Airline fly's into Newark and always runs 40/50 even 60 % off sales. Newark and LaGuardia are about the same distance to the pier.

You can easily bus it from London to Toronto direct in what an hour, get off at Royal York then hop on the Porter shuttle.

Edited by Ilovesailing

We love taking the train. We did amtrak from NYC to Montreal a few months ago beautiful trip. The only issue is it take so long. But it is relaxing Just don't sit close to the bathrooms, they are not serviced during the trip and tend to get a bit smelly and dirty

Here's another option you could consider. (unless you don't want to drive at all) You could drive from London to Albany (probably somewhere around 6 hours) the day before the cruise. Spend the night in a local hotel. The morning of the cruise you could take a Yankee Trails bus (About $90.00 per person roundtrip) which will take you directly to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Drops you off right at the pier. You can park the car right at the bus station (free parking for the week) We did this last September taking the Breakaway to Bermuda...loved it! If you don't want to Spend any time in NYC it is a great way to save some money and hassles!

That bus is another great idea. Thanks. We did drive to Syracuse and fly from there to New York. (We live east of Peterborough so going that way is easier than trying to cross the border at Niagara.) I looked into Amtrak but it sure left from there at an ungodly hour in the morning and I was also worried that it might run late but then I got a sale on the flight so that solved it.

Stupidly I booked the flight for the morning of the cruise. Never again. You have the right idea in wanting to arrive the day before just in case.... That was very stressful when we heard about this massive storm coming east and we were just so lucky that it hit south of NYC. Many cancelled planes that day but we arrived on time and had a wonderful cruise.

are they on time for these trips?

I take Amtrak on the west coast of the US, and they're ALWAYS late :D

Pretty much always late. Most of the trip is on rails not owned by Amtrak so it is a very slow trip

Amtrak may not have the greatest on-time record, but this mode of transportation sure beats buses and planes, at least for me. I've got reservations for my return to the Midwest from Seattle following a SB Alaska cruise-tour later this summer. I'm going south to Sacramento then east, so 3 nights on the train. I'm very much looking forward to the train parts of this trip, also including Anchorage to Fairbanks (12 hours) and Fairbanks to Denali on the Alaskan Railroad.

Pretty much always late. Most of the trip is on rails not owned by Amtrak so it is a very slow trip

I have to travel from Vancouver to Seattle for the cruise and am debating Amtrack vs Bolt bus. My son lives in Vancouver and he says Amtrack is late a lot even though they don't have to stop at the border since customs is done when you board. Anyone with experience train vs bus for this short trip?

I have to travel from Vancouver to Seattle for the cruise and am debating Amtrack vs Bolt bus. My son lives in Vancouver and he says Amtrack is late a lot even though they don't have to stop at the border since customs is done when you board. Anyone with experience train vs bus for this short trip?

DW and I took the Bolt bus northbound from Seattle to Vancouver following a roundtrip Alaska trip (the train schedule did not work). It was fine and got us there in plenty of time wander around Vancouver before boarding our train for Toronto. The morning train from Vancouver to Seattle is scheduled to arrive at 11:05, so this should be fine. One nice thing about the Bolt bus is that it takes you right to the ship.

Hi there :-) we are going on the Breakaway in September and I am planning on doing the same thing. We live southeast of London and I want to drive to Depew early Friday morning so we can do a bit of sight-seeing in New York. We want to book a hotel in Manhattan but because of parking issues we came across this option. Just hoping there will be a sale on seats soon so I can buy the tickets :-)

Sent from my A501 using Forums mobile app

Why don't you look at flying out of Toronto island, Porter Airline fly's into Newark and always runs 40/50 even 60 % off sales. Newark and LaGuardia are about the same distance to the pier.

You can easily bus it from London to Toronto direct in what an hour, get off at Royal York then hop on the Porter shuttle.

Doing the train instead of flying because I've convinced myself there would be fewer weather delays - I mean, the train would be delayed, but it would still run, whereas if there was a big storm, flights might be cancelled.

Other than the weather, I did look into Porter - the price to fly out was similar, you're right, but then we have to park a vehicle or pay to take the train into Toronto (we live about 2 hours out), figure out transportation from the airport in NYC and back - I still think this will be cheaper and easier, but we'll see...

Hi there :-) we are going on the Breakaway in September and I am planning on doing the same thing. We live southeast of London and I want to drive to Depew early Friday morning so we can do a bit of sight-seeing in New York. We want to book a hotel in Manhattan but because of parking issues we came across this option. Just hoping there will be a sale on seats soon so I can buy the tickets :-)

Sent from my A501 using Forums mobile app

You must live very, very near us...we live in the town that starts with A.

I use to take Amtrak from Albany to NYC then a taxi from Penn Station to the pier. The last couple of times I have taken Yankee Trails which is the same cost and drops you right at the pier and always have been on time unlike Amtrak. With Amtrak I would take the 8am train which would get me there around 1030am just in case something happens with the train

Ahhhhh...the train......

The great "Catch-22" of the US Transportation system.

It doesn't go anywhere because nobody rides it.

Nobody rides it because it doesn't go anywhere. :D

So many times we would opt for the train over other modes, but then I go to buy tickets and there are so few departure options, and prices near what it would cost to fly in a fraction of the time. Flying always wins!

The problem with trains through Buffalo is that you have just a couple choices East and a couple choices West each day!

They pass through here going from Chicago and points that way, to New York, DC, and points that way. The departure times are terrible!

While we love and prefer train travel as much as anyone else, it just doesn't work out for us any more. :(

P.S. We used to take the train from Buffalo to Toronto for fun, but it now takes about 5 hours (vs. 90 minutes to drive) and the departure times and ticket cost is prohibitive for a quick getaway. Can't wait to ride the rails in Europe again this Fall!

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

I much prefer taking the Train. I can't help you with the East Coast but I have taken the "Coast Starlight" quite a few times to Seattle to go on a NCL Cruise. We always get a Bedroom and make it a big part of the Vacation. I always meet other Cruisers and some going to the same NCL Ship. It is fun to meet every one. The Cascades Train to Vancouver is a Beautiful trip and as mentioned before you don't stop for Customs as you will in a Car which takes at least an hour. Have Cruised with a Couple that took the "Cascades" from Vancouver WA to Vancouver BC and it went well. I am taking the "Sunset Limited to Houston to take the Jewel to the Western Caribbean. One thing I have noticed on the last few trips to a Cruise is that Amtrak is not letting Passengers get off the Train and walk around and because of this we have been on time...Enjoy your

Cruise!

Is there free parking at Albany? Our cruise is an 11 day cruise from Monday October 27 to November 7. We were planning on arriving in Manhattan on Saturday and spend some time in NYC before the cruise so we are looking at close to 2 weeks parking in Albany.

Also, is a Yankee Trails bus an option if we are not going straight to the cruise?

Is there free parking at Albany? Our cruise is an 11 day cruise from Monday October 27 to November 7. We were planning on arriving in Manhattan on Saturday and spend some time in NYC before the cruise so we are looking at close to 2 weeks parking in Albany.

Also, is a Yankee Trails bus an option if we are not going straight to the cruise?

There is free parking at Albany, Amtrak website states 500 spots for short-term and 500 for long-term (overnight). It is a nice, modern station. I spent a couple hours there on January 4th, during a big snowstorm, on my way home from Ft Lauderdale.

Yankee Trails may or may not be an option. Their cruise express buses arrive the morning of the cruise and depart the day of return so there is no time to spend in NYC. They also have other one day tours etc so it *might* be possible to customize a trip but you would need to call to see if that was possible.

Edited by Red-Sol