Hunkey Dory

Calgon1

Is he still working for Holland America? And, if so, which ship???

I was on the Ryndam in March. A Hunky Dory was pushing a coffee cart at breakfast on the Lido deck. Not sure if he is the original though.

I think he is now a dining supervisor.

Yes Judy yo are correct. He goes by his real name now because as he told me on Zuiderdam 2011, Hunky Dory just does not look as good when you are attempting to be promoted up the ranks. In Sept 2011 he posed with me outside the Lower Dining Room in His Assistant Dining Room Manager's Uniform. (2 Photos attached of he and I) Just an FYI, it was his idea to pose with the tray:)

sm-HD-Imam-Sept-2011-2.jpg.13743c8179d70062f08e41bef441d596.jpg

Joanie

sm-HD-Imam-Sept-2011-1.jpg.fe5a9c6c5420a8da367238dc4cac6500.jpg

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Head steward!

I didn't know HAL had such a position as Head Steward in the Dining Room.

Learn something new everyday.

I always call the section supervisors (in the suit jackets rather than steward uniforms) Dining Supervisors. They each have a section in the MDR for which they are responsible though certainly they do what is needed.

I didn't know HAL had such a position as Head Steward in the Dining Room.

Learn something new everyday.

I always call the section supervisors (in the suit jackets rather than steward uniforms) Dining Supervisors. They each have a section in the MDR for which they are responsible though certainly they do what is needed.

You are correct, S7S! HAL does not have a position called "Head Steward" in the dining room under the Food Service Department. The Dining Room Manager (the former Maitre d') runs the dining room and he falls under the COM (Culinary Operations Manager) Under the DRM fall several Asst. Dining room managers (the former Area supervisors) and AYWD Hosts.

There is a supervisory position called "Head Deck Steward" but it falls under the Beverage Dept.

Yes Judy yo are correct. He goes by his real name now because as he told me on Zuiderdam 2011, Hunky Dory just does not look as good when you are attempting to be promoted up the ranks. In Sept 2011 he posed with me outside the Lower Dining Room in His Assistant Dining Room Manager's Uniform. (2 Photos attached of he and I) Just an FYI, it was his idea to pose with the tray:)

[ATTACH]316732[/ATTACH][ATTACH]316733[/ATTACH]

Joanie

Thanks Joanie

Great pictures!!

Thanks for the info everyone. Good to hear that he's still w/HAL. Just know that we'll eventually see him as, if not a Culinary Manager, at least a Senior Dining Room Manager (Maitre d')! Apparently HAL does realize what an asset he is. Know we all appreciate him. :)

- - - -

Ahoy There Loralee!

Good to see you back, calgon!

Didn't someone post awhile back that he was promoted and was using his real name?

Have been bouncing around CC for awhile. Last two (and the next one) have been w/Princess. :eek:

Will be getting back w/HAL once I retire (April 2016).

Sent you an e-mail.:D

Edited by Calgon1

Is Hunky Dory the one who remembers everyone's names?

Yes Hunky Dory played the name game along with John Wayne, Sly, and I can't remember the few others who also remembered many guests names.

It was funny when we were on a b-to-b with Hunky Dory and he had a name he called DH the whole first cruise. First day of the second cruise, DH saw him and Hunky Dory had no idea he'd ever seen him before in his life. :D He had wiped his slate clean, it seemed.

:) We sailed for 56 days on the Statendam in Jan 13 and Imam was the AYWD host. His wife was also on that sailing. He remembered our names from a cruise 2 or 3 years before. Not only that but he remembered that we understood Polish and spoke to us in Polish almost every night. It seems , He dated a Polish girl many years ago and picked some up. Funny guy.

I was on the Zuiderdam in 2005 and our waiter would remember everyone's names. He told us to be on dock at the next port to watch him recite people's names as they came off the ship. We could not believe remembered everyone's names.

I was on the Zuiderdam in 2005 and our waiter would remember everyone's names. He told us to be on dock at the next port to watch him recite people's names as they came off the ship. We could not believe remembered everyone's names.

I just remembered. It was in 2004. I was on NCL Jewel in 2005.

Do you mean an assistant DR manager or a head steward (like the open seating host)?

I am wondering how fast he will go up to DRM.

I thought we had heard some time ago that he was indeed promoted to another position in DR.