Moveover Offer?

css5

Hold out for a better offer.

It's like an overbooked flight at 17:00 at LGA.

Don't jump up for a bag of peanuts and a later flight.

Wait for full refund, and replacement cruise.

When someone from yield management calls you directly on the phone

(bypassing travel agent) then you know you have the power.

Somehow I think if you don't take them up on their initial offer, they'll move on to another passenger with the same or a slightly better offer. I never heard of anyone mentioning they got a counter offer.

The day before our first Princess cruise, we found a message on our answering machine telling us not to worry, we still have our cabin, but as the cruise is overbooked, they are offering a full refund (yes, a full refund) of our fare plus an upgrade to a balcony cabin (we had the lowest category inside, which means the lowest category for the whole ship) if we would postpone our cruise for a few weeks. Maybe it was a popular sailing because it was Valentine's Week.

We didn't take them up on the offer (even though we were driving to the port the next morning) for many reasons. Plus we paid a "friends and family fare" so it was a relatively low fare for the three of us and we weren't interested in a balcony with an active 5-year-ol.

We got another moveover offer a couple of years ago, but this was for half the fare and some sort of upgrade. But we were limited by the school calendar and could only go on that one sailing to Hawaii.

Somehow I think if you don't take them up on their initial offer' date=' they'll move on to another passenger with the same or a slightly better offer. I never heard of anyone mentioning they got a counter offer.[/quote']

I got several offers -- better and better and better.

They called Mrs. Pablo, and she told them she was unable to find me.

They thought she was negotiating, but she was just being honest.

They increased the offer.

Finally around 4:30 Friday afternoon (for a cruise that left the next day)

a gent from yield management called me directly.

We got free cruise a few weeks later in full suite, full refund,

and all our one-time obc moved to the next sailing.

They immediately cancelled the reservation, and I had credit-card

refund by saturday morning.

This is one of the reasons I think the "refunds take 2-3 billing cycles"

claim is funny. The refund takes as long as princess wants it to take.

I have seen the same on overbooked flights, where on a friday afternoon

no business person will give up their seat and stay in Newark one

second longer than necessary. The flight is delayed while the gate

agent begs and begs.

They immediately cancelled the reservation, and I had credit-card

refund by saturday morning.

This is one of the reasons I think the "refunds take 2-3 billing cycles"

claim is funny. The refund takes as long as princess wants it to take.

When Princess says it will take 2-3 billing cycles, I think they mean until it shows up on a statement in the mail.

When you saw it a couple of days later, you saw it on the credit card web site, not on a statement in your mailbox.

If your closing date had been the day before the posting, then it would be the second billing statement, probably to be received about six weeks later, that you will see it in the mail.

I was offered a move-over on our SA cruise in January, 2013. We were in a mini and were offered full refund, and full suite and OBC if we would wait a year. We decided to turn it down, due to some health circumstances.

We loved the cruise and have no regrets about letting that "suite" offer go.:)

Somehow I think if you don't take them up on their initial offer' date=' they'll move on to another passenger with the same or a slightly better offer. I never heard of anyone mentioning they got a counter offer.

[/quote']

I had 3 offers on the same trip. I said no and then the next day they came back with a better off and then a much better offer. In the end, the trip would have been entirely free with an upgrade to a much better cabin but I had used FF miles and booked private excursions and had hotels purchased on hotwire/priceline - I just kept saying no.

I have heard on some very over sold trips, towards the end, you can negotiate as sometimes they are very desperate.

When Princess says it will take 2-3 billing cycles, I think they mean until it shows up on a statement in the mail.

When you saw it a couple of days later, you saw it on the credit card web site, not on a statement in your mailbox.

And, there are lots of complaints here that it doesn't happen in

'a couple of days'.

Last year I turned down a move over offer to change from a NY eve cruise to another week

in January. NOT the same thing. Declined.

Edited by pablo222

Sorry for the late update - late last night they upped the offer to 100% of the cruise fare. Of course we are in similar circumstances as many, with several tours booked, but the biggest change would be with my sister - she is watching the kids at her house for 3 weeks!! (starting on Saturday)

These offers can be much more attractive to folks who are retired - especially if they are leaving out of a local port. If you aren't losing out on your high-cost airfare and are free to snag another cruise so you still get a vacation when planned (or reasonably close assuming there are any cruises available) then a full refund with a full suite, etc. would be wonderful. Maybe someday when I'm retired...

In 24 Princess cruises, we were only offered one moveover deal, but it was a good one....originally they offered, to cancel our 15 day Transatlantic from Copenhagen to Ft Lauderdale inside cabin last Fall in exchange for a 15 day or so Mediterranean balcony a few months later. i told her on the phone that we had already seen the Med, and how about if we had the Round Australia 28 day in a balcony 14 months later? She put me on hold, then came back to say yes. Our $3000 cruise was cancelled, we got all $3000 back as cabin credit and a free $14,000 value cruise with free insurance/port charges/taxes. Our only loss was our non-refundable airfare of $800 each. Not a bad deal and there would be no way could have afforded this "bucket list" destination otherwise. Lesson learned: Always counter-offer for a better cruise WAY in the future, because that seems to make the deal easier for them to accept. Yes, being retired makes it easier to be flexible!

In 24 Princess cruises, we were only offered one moveover deal, but it was a good one....originally they offered, to cancel our 15 day Transatlantic from Copenhagen to Ft Lauderdale inside cabin last Fall in exchange for a 15 day or so Mediterranean balcony a few months later. i told her on the phone that we had already seen the Med, and how about if we had the Round Australia 28 day in a balcony 14 months later? She put me on hold, then came back to say yes. Our $3000 cruise was cancelled, we got all $3000 back as cabin credit and a free $14,000 value cruise with free insurance/port charges/taxes. Our only loss was our non-refundable airfare of $800 each. Not a bad deal and there would be no way could have afforded this "bucket list" destination otherwise. Lesson learned: Always counter-offer for a better cruise WAY in the future, because that seems to make the deal easier for them to accept. Yes, being retired makes it easier to be flexible!

what a smart request you made !!!;)

This past Dec. 28 we got a similar offer from Princess. Give up our Feb. 14 day SA cruise in return for a refund, a free 14 day cruise of our choice, an upgrade from balcony to mini suite, and payment to cover the $200. charge that we would incur to cancel our award air tickets.

We are retired so we jumped at it. Selected a Feb15 cruise in Australia. Leaving Canada to go to SE Asia in Dec. and hoping to pick up another last minute cruise at some point...or just enjoy the beach.

A couple of years ago, I got a call offering a "double-up" offer. I was sailing with my parents and our bookings were linked; they were in a mini-suite and I was in an inside cabin and paid double due to the solo supplement. Princess asked if we would be willing to double-up and they would upgrade us to a penthouse suite, refund my solo supplement, and give each of us $500 OBC (so total of $1500). I told them I had to talk to my parents and I would call them back within an hour. Since my parents and I get along great, we accepted. Worked out great for us and if they ever offer it again (unlikely I know), we'd definitely accept.

why are move over offers not offered to uk residents as the july 10th sailing is from Southampton surely it would inconvenience people less to move if they were based in the uk and princess wouldn't have to offer so much as generally flights would not be involved.

Yes, that would be more likely to be accepted. But not sure what Princess' algorithm is for deciding the order they offer moveovers. Maybe it was because we had an inside cabin? we were Elite status? Maybe we had not had an offer before? or maybe they had indeed offered to UK passengers before....not sure how they make the decisions. I think we ALL would like at least the offer as often as possible, because there are opportunities to get a good deal....this is why I often am willing to take an airline's deal for voluntary bump for exchange to free flight voucher or upgrade to first class, if it does not involve much inconvenience. Good luck with future offers!

Yes, that would be more likely to be accepted. But not sure what Princess' algorithm is for deciding the order they offer moveovers. Maybe it was because we had an inside cabin? we were Elite status? Maybe we had not had an offer before? or maybe they had indeed offered to UK passengers before....not sure how they make the decisions. I think we ALL would like at least the offer as often as possible, because there are opportunities to get a good deal....this is why I often am willing to take an airline's deal for voluntary bump for exchange to free flight voucher or upgrade to first class, if it does not involve much inconvenience. Good luck with future offers!

th?&id=HN.608016319619662857&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

why are move over offers not offered to uk residents as the july 10th sailing is from Southampton surely it would inconvenience people less to move if they were based in the uk and princess wouldn't have to offer so much as generally flights would not be involved.

I am from the UK and I was offered it (not taking it though).

My thoughts as well. We are 90 miles from Southampton and could easily change from the 10th July. But we have not been offered it.

Last year on our United Kingdom/Ireland cruise we received a move-over offer. We were booked in an interior and the offer was if we took a later sailing they would refund us one cruise fare back in the form of OBC (We had gotten a great deal, paying only about $800 ea for the cabin), and upgrade us "Up to a mini suite based on availability" My TA told me that meant we could end up back in an interior. We had purchased E-Z Air so that was all covered. We turned it down because the later sailings meant I would miss my father's visit, and my husband, who is in commission sales wasn't about to lose working Labor Day Weekend, but the biggest problem was that our Tattoo tickets would have gone to waste, and that was our #1 reason for going. In 11 Princess cruises that was only our 2nd move over offer.

Are these offers also made to people who book through a TA or only direct bookings?

Both, apparently. At least one poster has said, however, that their TA didn't notify them promptly, and they lost out on the offer. If you use a TA, you might want to discuss this in advance. One CCer had worked out a deal with their TA preapproving a move-up offer up to a certain amount. Just a thought, anyway.

Edited by Ryndam2002