Silhouette mechanical problem ? (Several Threads Merged)

cruzemaven

Hello there,

We're trying! At the time, we saw two different threads, and we issued a response to both. As more threads get created, are merged, or are erased, we sometimes may miss a thread - such as this one. Our statement can be found below:

Celebrity Silhouette is currently experiencing a slight restriction on its top speed, which has required us to make modifications to nine upcoming sailings.

It is important for us to assure our guests that this small restriction on the ship’s top speed does not impact, in any way, the maneuverability of the ship or the safety of our guests and crew.

Celebrity will contact travel partners and guests should additional modifications need to be made to future itineraries. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause to our guests.

Thank you, there are a couple of threads again, its a little hard to follow at times. A little tip, if you go to your name and click, under statistics there is a way to find all your threads and posts. This can help you in finding what thread you have posted in previously.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm just wondering how they pick and choose who to contact and advise about these schedule changes. We booked directly with Celebrity, have no shore excursions booked yet and only have reserved an alcove for 1 sea day.

About 3 days ago my DH received an automated voice message with the new schedule on his cell.

But get this, the message was from a cruise agency I've never even heard of or booked with before. :confused:

It was a really garbled message btw and could barely understand the automated voice but we got the gist.

Anyone else receive anything like this?

Hi Everyone,

A brief update...

Yesterday, I spent about 2 hours reviewing & merging several Silhouette threads, in order to put everything in one place. Unfortunately, I may have missed one thread in the process (Sorry !). Today, I noticed yet another thread, and have spent another hour reviewing our forum, and performing another merge.

Please refrain from starting new threads on this topic, as it only causes multiple discussions and confusion for our members. When noticing additional threads on this topic, or existing threads that should be merged, please use the alert traingle report.gif, which will get my immediate attention.

Thanks very much for your assistance and participation !

What article are you referring to?

The "official release" that was referred to here earlier just says it's not traveling at optimum speed.

I don't believe any ports have been missed yet, arrival and departure times have been modified and a couple have had ports substituted reasons may not even be related to the mechanical issue on the swaps.

Another cruiser on recent sailing with modified ports said they are going 19kts (versus its designed speed of 24kts) at the reduced speeds. My TA's have both been done at 18kts, so not even the speed of the reduced speed, so crossing should be no issue. Reflection did a TA 2 years ago with under reduced speed with no issue, Oasis sailed the caribbean for 6 months with similar issues requiring reduced speed before getting its repairs.

I'd say they will do the fix sometime in 2015, as the Thanksgiving periods are busy and they'd want to affect as few people as possible. Also they need time to organize a slot in dry dock, which slots are often booked years in advance so that means negotiating with

some other ship to swap space, and then that other ship needs to adjust its sailings too....be it a passenger vessel or cargo or some other type pot vessel.

There's no reason to believe will will be repaired immediately after the crossing either. Since it's not a full dry dock routine that takes a week or more, likely it only needs 2-3 days to accomplish whatever needs done to fix an azipod, if that's the issue at hand. And my assumption there is most of the time will be in getting the ship in and put of dry dock itself, not so much time to make the actual repair.

It was posts on FB on the cruise critic facebook page that had me confused no the article here. things on FB sounded much more negative Hey, I get confused a lot-not too swift so please do not get offended and get bent out of shape about it. perhaps I used the wrong word or term that seemed exaggerated, If I did I am sorry.

I said I was not as concerned since reading this thread, at least BEFORE your post that is. However, I am booked on the November 23rd cruise so I guess I have a right to be a little concerned because it could very likely affect my cruise this year.

Now I remember why I avoid the Celebrity board. Some posters here are just too mean which is why Host Andy I did not know this thread was here. I guess it had been buried (no longer on page 1)when I posted. I am sorry I did it and would have not if I had seen the thread as it gave me the info I wanted.

Now that we know the ship will be dry-docked on January 4 for repairs, do the rest of us sailing before that time have any cause for concern? Does such a mechanical issue ever cause problems with electricity, food preparation, sea sickness, etc.? I know that might be reaching a bit, but just want to make sure! :)

Now that we know the ship will be dry-docked on January 4 for repairs, do the rest of us sailing before that time have any cause for concern? Does such a mechanical issue ever cause problems with electricity, food preparation, sea sickness, etc.? I know that might be reaching a bit, but just want to make sure! :)

We're on the Transatlantic, and wouldn't even think of cancelling. In fact, I'm hoping it will take a couple extra days to cross the pond, as long as they don't run out of beer and wine. ;)

Assuming the mechanical problem is with 1 or both Azipods, this has no impact on the ship's ability to produce electricity. And it also should not impact on the ships motion except to perhaps reduce the motion due to slightly slower speeds. There is nothing new to having speed restrictions on Azipod Propulsion Systems. In some cases the cause is a simple as evidence of unusual bearing wear resulting in the ship taking the extra precaution of reducing the speed (and strain on the bearings) to prevent any major damage to the pods.

Hank

Assuming the mechanical problem is with 1 or both Azipods, this has no impact on the ship's ability to produce electricity. And it also should not impact on the ships motion except to perhaps reduce the motion due to slightly slower speeds. There is nothing new to having speed restrictions on Azipod Propulsion Systems. In some cases the cause is a simple as evidence of unusual bearing wear resulting in the ship taking the extra precaution of reducing the speed (and strain on the bearings) to prevent any major damage to the pods.

Hank

Wow, color me impressed! You seem to know what you're talking about. Thanks for making me feel better!

Right now I think it is no worse than we could lose an hour or so in each port, but maybe not even that. My cruise only has 3 ports, so the ship may already was slowing down, so I think we are okay. However, thanks to CC, I will keep a watch on things. My final payment is not until September so I have about 6 weeks to decide.

What if the Silhoutte is late for debarkation on final day of cruise and someone misses his flight home ? Will Celebrity pay for a new flight if this was a nonrefundable, non changeable rate ? Or if someone can then only fly out next day and has to find a hotel room ?

What if the Silhoutte is late for debarkation on final day of cruise and someone misses his flight home ? Will Celebrity pay for a new flight if this was a nonrefundable, non changeable rate ? Or if someone can then only fly out next day and has to find a hotel room ?

Another good reason for trip insurance. :)

That's precisely why we booked our flight the following day. You never know what's going to happen, even with customs/immigration coming home on a TA. There are several others on our cruise that are flying out the next day, so we arranged a post-cruise Happy Hour they day we return. :)

That's precisely why we booked our flight the following day. You never know what's going to happen, even with customs/immigration coming home on a TA. There are several others on our cruise that are flying out the next day, so we arranged a post-cruise Happy Hour they day we return. :)

Fortunately, we drive - 3.5 hours and we are home.

You could request a credit but my feeling is that =X= will probably not issue flight refunds if the delay in arriving in port is minor and/or communicated well in advance (a month or more). The cruise lines advise to leave a minimum of 4 hours between scheduled arrival in port and a departing flight. If the delay is greater than that (unlikely since they have to turn the ship around the same day for the next cruise), you might have a case. Otherwise, as others have pointed out, you may want to get travel insurance (or in the future book your outbound flight later in the day).

They have been very hush hush about the propulsion issue. I for one

am very concerned about our transatlantic crossing Nov 1. This will be our

5th, on this ship, and from previous crossings, the 7 day stretch from the Canary Islands is a pretty much full throttle run. With a speed gap of anything approaching 10%, the stretch may not be feasible. Now the August cruises have disappeared on the Celebrity web. A certain mystery!

Early November is a time in the Atlantic where engine power can be a

real must.

What are we to think?

I don't think this is true at all. They don't run close to full throttle the entire way. On our crossing this past November, we were on Connie, crossing with Equinox leaving the Canaries on the same day. We sailed ahead for the first few days at nearly top speed, to avoid some weather, they were just a bit behind. Then they had a serious medical issue (as reported by our Captain), so they sped on ahead to get close enough to land to do an evacuation. Most of the way, we sailed at 15-17 nm/hour, far from top speed after we slowed down.

Even though it is a 7 day crossing, you have almost 8 days (8 Nights and 7 days is really 7 days and 16 hours), from the 5pm departure in the Canaries to get to FLL on the last morning. Roughly 3900 miles is roughly 3400 nm, is just over an average of 425 nm/day or 18.5 nm/hour. With a top speed of somewhere near 24 nm/hour this is far from the top cruising speed needed and available.

Not only would I not be too worried, I would think Celebrity is being very careful and not risky too much. If you're worried, you could cancel and rebook on a different ship, many of the fall TAs still have cabins.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We have just returned from a sailing on the Silhouette (3rd July - 12 nights Adriatic cruise). Whilst it is fair to say the distance between each port was not great (approximately 100 nautical miles between ports), we never experienced any problems with delays. In fact, everything ran like clockwork with arrivals and departures on time. We stayed in a Sunset Veranda stateroom on the back of the ship.

Prior to the cruise, we were not aware of any possible problems. I do seem to remember however on one sailaway mentioning to my DH that we seemed to be churning out quite a bit of action on the wake, but were not moving very fast. I am not however very technical and neither am I an expert and this could have been ignorance on my part!

On the final sailway from Naples prior to arrival in Rome, our final destination, we noted extreme speed overnight which could be evidenced by a great deal of soot on the rear balconies and also in Oceanview café on the deck to the rear. No sign of any propulsion issues - the ship really did shift!

• 2 weeks later...
We have just returned from a sailing on the Silhouette (3rd July - 12 nights Adriatic cruise). Whilst it is fair to say the distance between each port was not great (approximately 100 nautical miles between ports), we never experienced any problems with delays. In fact, everything ran like clockwork with arrivals and departures on time. We stayed in a Sunset Veranda stateroom on the back of the ship.

Prior to the cruise, we were not aware of any possible problems. I do seem to remember however on one sailaway mentioning to my DH that we seemed to be churning out quite a bit of action on the wake, but were not moving very fast. I am not however very technical and neither am I an expert and this could have been ignorance on my part!

On the final sailway from Naples prior to arrival in Rome, our final destination, we noted extreme speed overnight which could be evidenced by a great deal of soot on the rear balconies and also in Oceanview café on the deck to the rear. No sign of any propulsion issues - the ship really did shift!

Being on the sunset veranda,could you tell us if the power of the two.screws were balanced or if one screw was doing more work than the other? If so, right or left?