Silhouette mechanical problem ? (Several Threads Merged)

cruzemaven

I would like to know also when they are scheduling the repair. We are on her Nov 16th . Her first sailing out of FLL after her TA. Do you think they would schedule repair before TA or wait to get her to freeport ??
I do not know when they are scheduling repairs, but we are on the Nov 1 TA and our schedule has been altered a little in two ports, so it sounds like it will not be fixed by then.

Hi all, Celebrity Silhouette is currently experiencing a slight restriction on its top speed, which has required us to make modifications to nine upcoming sailings. It is important for us to assure our guests that this small restriction on the ship’s top speed does not impact, in any way, the maneuverability of the ship or the safety of our guests and crew. Celebrity will contact travel partners and guests should additional modifications need to be made to future itineraries. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause to our guests.

This was just posted by Celebrity. We are on the very next cruise and we were not contacted by Celebrity about any changes in Port arrival times. Hopefully, this means that the Silhouette will be arriving in Venice at the scheduled 9am time on Saturday, July 26. If anyone has heard differently, please post it here. We are scheduled to disembark the ship at 11:30 and would need to make new arrangements. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi all, Celebrity Silhouette is currently experiencing a slight restriction on its top speed, which has required us to make modifications to nine upcoming sailings. It is important for us to assure our guests that this small restriction on the ship’s top speed does not impact, in any way, the maneuverability of the ship or the safety of our guests and crew. Celebrity will contact travel partners and guests should additional modifications need to be made to future itineraries. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause to our guests.

This was just posted by Celebrity. We are on the very next cruise and we were not contacted by Celebrity about any changes in Port arrival times. Hopefully, this means that the Silhouette will be arriving in Venice at the scheduled 9am time on Saturday, July 26. If anyone has heard differently, please post it here. We are scheduled to disembark the ship at 11:30 and would need to make new arrangements. Thank you.

I would suggest you call the Captain's Club first thing in the morning. Also, what are they saying on your Roll Call -- anyone get notified of any delays?

Edited by Wine-O

I would suggest you call the Captain's Club first thing in the morning. Also, what are they saying on your Roll Call -- anyone get notified of any delays?

Good idea..will call in the morning.

FYI Celebrity Silhouette - I just received a text message and phone call from celebrity regarding our arrival in Venice on the 22nd of September instead of getting in at 10 a.m. We will not arrive until 12 noon this is provided for your information. Has anyone else receive this text or phone call?

I have posted this on the Sep 12, 2014 Roll Call, too.

Yes. We received an email a few days back.

We're on the August 3rd cruise and received an email a few days ago that one of our excursions had changed times. That's how I noticed the change in the itinerary. In addition we received an email this morning letting us know about the change in the schedule. On our cruise all changes are really minor. We even win an hour in Kusadasi (if I'm not completely mistaken). We're on holiday, want to relax and as long as they return us safely back to Venice after 7 days we'll be very happy campers (or in this case cruisers).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm so disappointed in this fact and they should just fix the ship!!! We've lost 6 hours in Israel and that is a massive time change! We've lost opportunities because of the Silhouette and I'm really thinking of not cruising again because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm so disappointed in this fact and they should just fix the ship!!! We've lost 6 hours in Israel and that is a massive time change! We've lost opportunities because of the Silhouette and I'm really thinking of not cruising again because of it.

A bit extreme...stuff happens and if you aren't missing a port that's not so awful....we missed 2 days in Egypt a few years ago....the entire reason we had booked THAT cruise....still had THE BEST cruise we've ever had.....

Fixing the ship would probably entail a much greater delay or the possible cancellation of an entire cruise...I would much rather lose a few hours than have my trip cancelled at the last minute....

A bit extreme...stuff happens and if you aren't missing a port that's not so awful....we missed 2 days in Egypt a few years ago....the entire reason we had booked THAT cruise....still had THE BEST cruise we've ever had.....

Fixing the ship would probably entail a much greater delay or the possible cancellation of an entire cruise...I would much rather lose a few hours than have my trip cancelled at the last minute....

+1

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

News on Cruise Critic site:

(6:50 a.m. EDT) -- Shrapnel from rockets fired in the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict landed on the deck of German cruise ship AIDAdiva as it left the Israeli port of Ashdod on Monday night (July 7).

Do not be surprised if Israel is cancelled from your ports of call.

Really?

+1

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Not upset about possible changes in port schedules hours but really need to be notified if arrival time in final destination port of Venice is delayed. As long as Celebrity knows these changes in advance, they should notify all passengers involved. Notification would enable us to make our disembarkation plans in advance and without undue stress. I noticed on our roll call board that one passenger stated that they actually received a text from Celebrity informing them of a change of one of our ports on our Itinerary. Celebrity has all our contact information, yet we received no notification that we are now going to Katakalon instead of Chania. I don't mind if they change ports but why only notify a few people when they stated they will inform their passengers of changes. Please Celebrity,if you know that the arrival into Venice on the upcoming July 15 cruise will delayed by several hours as it will be on the next identical itinerary in September please let us know. We are also Captains Club so our info is on file with Celebrity. Our cruise begins in five days.

Yes. We received an email a few days back.

Should I assume that our arrival into Venice on July 26 remains at 9am since I did not receive a text or an email from Celebrity informing us of a change in arrival time? After all, wouldn't Celebrity inform every passenger and not just a few? At this point they stated that they have made a few changes on 9 upcoming itineraries and they would notify passengers of changes. I guess they forgot to email me about the change in ports at the end of our cruise, though they did notify others.

Should I assume that our arrival into Venice on July 26 remains at 9am since I did not receive a text or an email from Celebrity informing us of a change in arrival time? After all, wouldn't Celebrity inform every passenger and not just a few? At this point they stated that they have made a few changes on 9 upcoming itineraries and they would notify passengers of changes. I guess they forgot to email me about the change in ports at the end of our cruise, though they did notify others.

Have you checked your roll call to see if anyone else has received notice from Celebrity?

In order to repair the ship it would probably require a short dry dock (one week). At this time no one really knows the specifics on what is actually wrong with the ship so there is no way of knowing if the ship will need to be pulled out of service. To do that Celebrity would have to cancel at least one cruise. Would you rather they cancel your cruise or adjust the schedule? I know that it's disappointing to have changes made but that is the chance one takes when cruising.

When on a cruise no ports are guaranteed. There are times that you may arrive late or not at all. If cruising to a specific port if that important then one would be better to fly directly to that port. I hope that you're able to enjoy your cruise even with the changes.

Edited by cruisingator2

In order to repair the ship it would probably require a short dry dock (one week). At this time no one really knows the specifics on what is actually wrong with the ship so there is no way of knowing if the ship will need to be pulled out of service. To do that Celebrity would have to cancel at least one cruise. Would you rather they cancel your cruise or adjust the schedule? I know that it's disappointing to have changes made but that is the chance one takes when cruising.

When on a cruise no ports are guaranteed. There are times that you may arrive late or not at all. If cruising to a specific port if that important then one would be better to fly directly to that port. I hope that you're able to enjoy your cruise even with the changes.

Just what I said a few posts back....

News on Cruise Critic site:

Do not be surprised if Israel is cancelled from your ports of call.

Sadly, just what I was thinking. I think we may be near the point where some cruise lines will be doing just that.

Lou

I booked direct with Celebrity in Australia, and not through an agent. It was Celebrity in Australia that contacted me.

This is what I received on 4 July:

Dear Celebrity Silhouette Guest,

Please be advised that there has been an amendment to the itinerary for the Celebrity Silhouette,11 Night Eastern Mediterranean & Greek Isles Voyage sailing on 12th September 2014. The full details of this change are included in the attached communication.

(See attached file: SI 09.12.14.pdf) **

We hope that you have not been inconvenienced by this change, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Silhouette.

Please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 754 500 should you have any

queries.

Kind regards

Astrid Carolina Aquino Hernandez

Cruise Administration

**The only alteration to the schedule shown on the PDF was the later arrival at midday in Venice on Monday 22 September.

Cheers,

Ian.

Did Celebrity actually ever say anywhere that the problem is mechanical? I did not see that in what I have read, at least on this thread. I also presume that it is, but perhaps that is not the case?

See post #17 from Celebrity.

They said "experiencing a slight restriction on its top speed"

We once sailed on a Princess ship which had the same issue that they had to shorten port times because of propulsion problems. In this case they had to replace a propeller and it had to be done in dry dock. The ship continued to sail its itineraries until they could get a dry dock space.

Port times scheduled for Venice take in consideration the "no wake".

We must have been on the same Princess ship.:D

A message to Celebrity: To quote Larry the Cable Guy "Gitr done":D

We were on the June 22 Silhouette sailing from Venice. As a previous poster noted, we received a note in our cabin outlining the change in port times (for us, departing Dubrovnick early and arriving in Rome an hour late). During one of the sea days I attended a Q&A with Captain Alevropoulos, Master of the Silhouette. The Captain was asked about this specific issue and the note in the cabin. The Captain confirmed that the slower speed was because of "maintenance on one of the pods". Although I do not recall the Captain using the word "routine" to describe the work being done, his answer suggested to me that whatever the problem/maintenance, it is something that needs to be addressed from time to time and can be performed while the ship is underway. Captain Alevropoulos seems to be a direct and frank individual and he clearly took it personally when the guest asking the question suggested that he or Celebrity was hiding something from the guests or might be somehow compromising passenger safety. The Captain also noted that it is difficult to disseminate information of a technical nature to the whole ship when doing so will likely just cause more confusion and misunderstanding.

As an additional observation, in watching the navigation monitors in the cabin and around the ship, the highest speed I noted during the cruise was 19 knots.

It was a great cruise and the only port times affected were those initially listed in the note from Celebrity. We arrived every other port on-time or early.

As an additional observation, in watching the navigation monitors in the cabin and around the ship, the highest speed I noted during the cruise was 19 knots.

Sillie's cruise speed is said to be 24 knots. Anyone know if "crusie speed" (from X website) is top speed or normal speed?

I don't think I've ever seen the ship's speed exceed 20kts on my cruses, my TA's we were only at 18kts the whole way, I've had some in the caribbean be as slow as 10kts

Not upset about possible changes in port schedules hours but really need to be notified if arrival time in final destination port of Venice is delayed. As long as Celebrity knows these changes in advance, they should notify all passengers involved. Notification would enable us to make our disembarkation plans in advance and without undue stress. I noticed on our roll call board that one passenger stated that they actually received a text from Celebrity informing them of a change of one of our ports on our Itinerary. Celebrity has all our contact information, yet we received no notification that we are now going to Katakalon instead of Chania. I don't mind if they change ports but why only notify a few people when they stated they will inform their passengers of changes. Please Celebrity,if you know that the arrival into Venice on the upcoming July 15 cruise will delayed by several hours as it will be on the next identical itinerary in September please let us know. We are also Captains Club so our info is on file with Celebrity. Our cruise begins in five days.

You simply need to assume you are going to experience a change in your schedule, and wait to board to find out. Ports and times change all the time for varying reasons, and here you have heard from several there are changes going on so the logical conclusion is yes you too will have some modifications.

I'd have a "Plan B" ready since the evidence here is yes things will be changed.

Maybe they emailed you, and it's lost in the internet, maybe a spam blocker stopped it maybe they sent to your TA and TA never sent along or lost it in spam. Lots of things happen to inter web mails.

MAYBE your cruise will remain unaffected...but the smart money is you need to assume you will have a modified port schedule.

Pied Piper has a gay group on this July 15th sailing (I was going to be on this, but changed for the Eclipse TA last minute this spring instead), and I contacted the group leader on Facebook, so far he's only aware of a port swap of Katakolon for Chania, Crete, and he's in regular contact with Celebrity about things. SO MAYBE no change will be done on this one....