Does HAL offer a "behind the scenes" ship tour?

JimAOk1945

I just showed the pic to my DH. In November 2010 the Zuiderdam tour visited the Engine Control Room, but did not visit the Engine Room. When HAL started these special ship tours the Engine Room was included, but IIRC they told DH they has to stop doing that for security reasons.

Question: Can someone tell me how I would find out about the free tours?

Thanks

I think probably the best way would be to check with the Front Office as soon as you get on board. I did look on the HAL site, but I don't see any listing in the "Purchases" you can make beforehand. It may have been connected with a cooking class, but I'm not sure.

We are very recently off the Amsterdam and the only free tour offered was the galley one. Last year, on the Oosterdam it was one of the galley and a backstage tour to meet the singers and dancers. I did the paid tour ($150.00 and the day we were in Ketchikan) and DH was very jealous. He has mobility issues and it would have been way too much walking and stairs for him. It was defininitely not scooter friendly!

Karen

Question: Can someone tell me how I would find out about the free tours?

Thanks

The only "free" tours of the ship I'm aware of are the Art tour on embarkation day by the CD or Emcee, the main galley tour and, if they have one, the question and answer session with the ship's cast in the main show lounge, followed by a back stage tour. All three will be in the daily program

Edited by Copper10-8

The only "free" tours of the ship I'm aware of are the Art tour on embarkation day by the CD or Emcee, the main galley tour and, if they have one, the question and answer session with the ship's cast in the main show lounge, followed by a back stage tour. All three will be in the daily program

Thanks. This is what I needed to know.

I did this tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was on the Noordam just over three years ago. I considered it as a shorex at sea! The cost was on par with what one can pay for a regular shore excursion of three hours/four hours.

I have read that they now have to split the tour over two days as they are no longer allowed to have bridge tours while at sea.

I'm becoming more and more interested in doing this tour. Thanks so much for posting the pictures!

You're welcome! Just be advised I don't believe the tour includes going down to the engine room anymore, just the ECR!

Many thanks for the pictures, Copper! When I did the tour on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2011, after we were done in the ECR, the Chief Engineer said, "Now, we will go down into the engine room." I could hardly believe my ears! This was totally unexpected and all of us on the tour were delighted to experience it. Really interesting and thankful that I got to do it!

Many thanks for the pictures, Copper! When I did the tour on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2011, after we were done in the ECR, the Chief Engineer said, "Now, we will go down into the engine room." I could hardly believe my ears! This was totally unexpected and all of us on the tour were delighted to experience it. Really interesting and thankful that I got to do it!

I think that was the way it happened with my DH, too. It was not on the agenda, but after the ECR, the guide suggested that anyone who was interested could pick up some ear protection and go down into the bowels of the ship. Who was going to refuse that offer! :D

Just got off the Veendam this morning and did not see such a tour offered. Maybe I missed it but the list of activities is usually very well indicated.

The behind the scenes tour? That's because (as mentioned early in this thread) it's only offered on the Vista and Signature class ships.