Sea Band on only one arm

duchess nan

I have just found out that due to recent surgery I cannot wear a Sea Band on my right arm. Has anyone ever tried wearing a Sea Band on one arm only?

Does wearing only one band vs. two lessen the effectiveness?

Wearing only one Sea Band on either wrist will not lessen the effectiveness of the band. A study done and published by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Bologna University, Bologna, Italy, demonstrated that effectiveness was not lessened when only one band was worn on either wrist instead of the two band principle. [De Aloysio, D. and Penacchioni, P.; Morning Sickness Control in Early Pregnancy by Neiguan Point Acupressure; Obstetrics & Gynecology Vol. 80, No. 5 November 1992]

There is nothing to lose by wearing it on one and hoping it will suffice and be effective.

Were it me, I would have Plan B in mind in case one band does not prove to be enough protection.

Edited by sail7seas

I have just found out that due to recent surgery I cannot wear a Sea Band on my right arm. Has anyone ever tried wearing a Sea Band on one arm only?

I don't know about wearing it on only one arm but have you had problems with seasickness in the past? Will this be your first time to try them?

I'm asking because I have found them to be useless. Non drowsy Bonine or Dramamine works better for me.

I don't know about wearing it on only one arm but have you had problems with seasickness in the past? Will this be your first time to try them?

I'm asking because I have found them to be useless. Non drowsy Bonine or Dramamine works better for me.

I would at least try it. I have a mild case of asthma and Bonine caused me to have difficulty breathing.

Does wearing only one band vs. two lessen the effectiveness?

Wearing only one Sea Band on either wrist will not lessen the effectiveness of the band. A study done and published by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Bologna University, Bologna, Italy, demonstrated that effectiveness was not lessened when only one band was worn on either wrist instead of the two band principle. [De Aloysio, D. and Penacchioni, P.; Morning Sickness Control in Early Pregnancy by Neiguan Point Acupressure; Obstetrics & Gynecology Vol. 80, No. 5 November 1992]

Did they find that sea bands were effective for preventing sea sickness? I figure that sea bands are placebos and the dosage would not matter. One arm, two arms, no arms, same difference.

Did they find that sea bands were effective for preventing sea sickness? I figure that sea bands are placebos and the dosage would not matter. One arm, two arms, no arms, same difference.

This came from the Sea Band web site FAQ.. There is the possibility of some bias on their part..happy cruising

Absolutely true story.....

My best girlfriend's DH is a physician. Their family loved to cruise but she always had terrible sea sickness. He prescribed everything you can imagine to help her and some gave some relief but none were great for her.

She and I were talking on the phone and he overheard us. She said to me she wanted to try sea bands, which we had just heard about. When she described them to me I was skeptical but knew they couldn't hurt her so what was there to lose. Her DH started laughing and took the phone. He told me we were being silly and those things likely would do no good. I asked him if there was any harm in her trying them and he said certainly not. I asked if he was totally pleased with the results of all his previous recommendations to prevent her seasickness and, of course, his answer was no. I said to him so go ahead and let her try them. Who cares if its in her head if they work. Don't tease her, let her be and see what happens.

She used them on that cruise and about 10 more since and has never again been seasick.

Take from this whatever you wish. He is now a 'believer'.

The British Navy uses them. :)

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. I am particularly thrilled to see the response stating one band would be effective. I am not especially prone to sea sickness, but have problems when seas get on the rough side, and the Sea Bands have always worked for me. I always have Dramamine, both formulas, as a back up, but prefer the non chemical means whenever possible. Placebo effect? Maybe, but they work for me like a charm and I will be happy to use them on one arm and report my, hopefully successful, results on return. Will look into the ginger capsules, as well. Again, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. If you have ever been seasick it is something you never forget!