blu - mdr menu

fiona page

We are booked in blu for upcoming cruise. Aqua class same price as balcony.

Previously done blu and whilst like the restaurant not keen on menus.

if we prefer the mdr menu some evenings can we request it? or just try to book into mdr ? Advice?

A few months ago in BLU we asked very nicely if we could have something that was being served as an entree in the MDR and were told, very nicely that they couldn't do that. Several of the every day desserts and apps from the MDR were available daily, but they were almost apologetic and said "no dice." Others on that cruise had the same results. And it would have been relatively easy since this was an M-class ship and the MDR kitchen is right there by BLU.

Perhaps it varies by maitre'd or by ship, but on the Millennium it was no go.

PS: I feel the same as the OP. Love the venue. The menu and food … "meh."

A few months ago in BLU we asked very nicely if we could have something that was being served as an entree in the MDR and were told, very nicely that they couldn't do that. Several of the every day desserts and apps from the MDR were available daily, but they were almost apologetic and said "no dice." Others on that cruise had the same results. And it would have been relatively easy since this was an M-class ship and the MDR kitchen is right there by BLU.

Perhaps it varies by maitre'd or by ship, but on the Millennium it was no go.

PS: I feel the same as the OP. Love the venue. The menu and food … "meh."

Yes, I agree that she cannot order from the MDR menu in Blu. I was suggesting that she talk to the Matre D in the MDR if she wanted to eat their, instead of Blu on some of the evenings. I believe that was what she was asking.

Here is how it works. You cannot order from the MDR menu when you are dining in Blu, although on our last cruise (in Blu) on the Eclipse they did have a "secret" Blu menu (not listed) of a few items such as French Onion Soup, Escargot and Cheesecake.

If you decide you would prefer to eat in the MDR on any night, you need to stop by Blu and talk to the Maitre'd (or whoever is working at the desk) and tell them you want to dine in the MDR. Depending on the situation on that particular cruise they will either arrange for you to go to the MDR as a Select diner, or they might insist that you go to either the first or 2nd sitting in the MDR. They arrange this with the Maitre d in the MDR (this only takes a minute). Where and when you go depends on where they have extra capacity in the MDR.

Hank

Here is how it worked for us on our March 2014 Equinox Blu experience (link below). The answer is YES we could order from the MDR menu each night and were greeted each evening by the Blu Hostess offering us the MDR menu.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42324078&postcount=99

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Good, for the 1st time we will be in BLU for upcoming cruise on the Eclipse in October. My reason is we will be Elite after this cruise :).

I am happy to see my wife will not be denied her escargots. That was a major concern in booking Aqua. :D

I just have a question, when I booked this cruise with my TA (it was about 7 or 8 months ago) it states on the documentation a 6pm seating. I always thought BLU ran like Select Dining. Do we have seats in the MDR for the early seating also?

Thanks, Al and Cathy

Edited by Banjo

Good, for the 1st time we will be in BLU for upcoming cruise on the Eclipse in October. My reason is we will be Elite after this cruise :).

I am happy to see my wife will not be denied her escargots. That was a major concern in booking Aqua. :D

I just have a question, when I booked this cruise with my TA (it was about 7 or 8 months ago) it states on the documentation a 6pm seating. I always thought BLU ran like Select Dining. Do we have seats in the MDR for the early seating also?

Thanks, Al and Cathy

No. You are in Blu and they just put 6:00 on your seating time. Blu is open dining, you can eat at any time you please Enjoy

Granted, it was a year and a half ago that we last cruised (on Milly), but my understanding is that the "standard luxury" items on the MDR classic menu (like lobster thermidor, filet mignon, classic cheesecake, escargots) is always available in Blu as a "default" choice, should nothing else interest you.

Thanks, Al and Cathy

Blu is a little different and that is the reason you are listed at a seating time. On a Celebrity reservation there are only three choices on the dining time drop down, early, late, or select.

In the past if you were in an Aqua class stateroom and chose Select as your dining option you would be set to dine in the select section of the MDR. That's why everyone working on a Aqua class reservation chooses either early or late. You are then assigned to Blu as your dining room. Once assigned to Blu you will utilize Blu's policy of open seating.

I know it is counter intuitive but that is the system we have to deal with. I hope the explanation is understandable. :):)

Thanks, Al and Cathy

You will probably have this on your bed when first get into your stateroom.

CE2014_Env_Blu-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Here is how it worked for us on our March 2014 Equinox Blu experience (link below). The answer is YES we could order from the MDR menu each night and were greeted each evening by the Blu Hostess offering us the MDR menu.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42324078&postcount=99

Regards,

Kevin Reid

While you may have lucked out with this amazing extra service I find it highly unlikely that it is a common occurrence. So I would suggest to the OP not to get their hopes up but more likely expect that if there is something on the MDR menu they would like they can get a table in the "Select" section of the MDR through the Blu Mtrd.

You will probably have this on your bed when first get into your stateroom.

CE2014_Env_Blu-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

That note is so misleading.....

You can dine anytime in blu....including the first night. Even the folks in Blu don't know why that note keeps being sent out.

You can't make reservations in blu unless you have a party of 7 or more. We recently sailed on the Infinity with two other couples (all of us in aqua) and they said, "no reservations. Come any time and we'll try to seat you together." That was a bit frustrating, to say the least, given that we received the same letter.

There is no need for anyone else to go to the "resrevations desk" or call that extension.

Just got off Reflection this morning. We were Aqua Class but didn't care for menu in Blu and we're accommodated in MDR. On last day in Naples had breakfast in Blu, great menu and incredible service. Dinner menu in Blu seemed bland to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Equinox in May and were able to eat off the main dining menu every night. Blu had a copy of the MDR dining room menu. I had called one night to ask about dining in the MDR since I did not like any of the items on the BLU menu and was told to just come to BLU. On following nights we would be given both the BLU and MDR menus. Even for breakfast we were able to order hash browns form the MDR.

I was also able to make one of the appetizers into a main course when I wanted that and also offered variations on the menu when I asked.

I do not know if this is specific to the Equinox.

We are just back from the Eclipse yesterday and we could not order from the MDR. I don't like fish and there was one evening I asked about something alternative or from the MDR and was politely told "unfortunately not". They do try their best to accommodate though, so perhaps it's down to how busy the cruise is. Our cruise was almost full.

We like to look at both menus which are posted each day. We've always stayed in AQ since =X= introduced this category, and we really enjoy Blu. On our last cruise I remembered that the MDR was serving prime rib one night, and I asked our Blu server. He brought over Vladamere, the Maitre'd and employee we always find on our cruises, and have built a relationship with. He apologized profusely that they were not permitted to serve us off the MDR menu, but stated we could change our dining location to the MDR if we chose to.

We didn't! Love Blu, the smaller portions and healthier approach to food preparation. :)

Thank for all your replies. I guess we will go with the flow and see what happens. I know last time the blu maître de seemed very upset that we had gone to the main dining room. Guess we will just talk to him on arrival and see what happens.

One things for sure.. we wont starve!

Good to know there are dinning options for everyone.

I was checking out the MDR menu one night with some other gentlemen. I didn't see anything that appealed to me, but the other were pointing out that they wanted the daily fair of chicken and steak. I thought that was pretty boring, but then remembered that not everyone wants to eat quail in tamarind reduction. :D

Something for everyone, and yes we won't starve.

We tentatively have a cruise booked for January in the Caribbean. TA is suggesting Aqua class which sounds good. As you can see from my signature, we have experience on both Regent for the deluxe experience and Holland America for the more mid-market.

This discussion brings out the difference between luxury and mid-market. On Regent, if you ask for it, they will do it if humanly possible. For example, my wife told the maitre'd she would love to have beef wellington. The next night they had made an entire beef wellington (something that cannot be made in one portion) so they could serve her a slice.

I don't expect this kind of service on HA or X, but this is an example of why, every once in a while, we like to travel in luxury and aren't prone to complain about much on a cruise where we're paying a lot less.

Good to know there are dinning options for everyone.

I was checking out the MDR menu one night with some other gentlemen. I didn't see anything that appealed to me, but the other were pointing out that they wanted the daily fair of chicken and steak. I thought that was pretty boring, but then remembered that not everyone wants to eat quail in tamarind reduction. :D

Something for everyone, and yes we won't starve.

:D LOL, you are so right! Let them eat chicken and steak - we'll enjoy the quail in tamarind reduction with you two! We really do enjoy most all of the dishes prepared in Blu. I only wish they would mix up the hummus every night. Throw a little spice in there, or alternate another simple noshie. :)

Thank for all your replies. I guess we will go with the flow and see what happens. I know last time the blu maître de seemed very upset that we had gone to the main dining room. Guess we will just talk to him on arrival and see what happens.

One things for sure.. we wont starve!

The best approach is to ask the Blu Maitre 'D to arrange for you to dine in the MDR in advance... He/she may call the Select Dining Host[ess] on your behalf or just instruct you to go to the Select Dining podium at one of the entrances to the MDR... But in either case he/she will appreciate knowing that you will not be dining in Blu that evening; it helps them to better anticipate the number of suite guests--and timing, based upon when you typically arrive for dinner--they can accommodate who have access to Blu on a space available basis...

I doubt that the Blu Maitre 'D was upset by your decision to dine in the MDR but, if there was heavy demand for Blu among suite guests on your sailing, he/she might have appreciated knowing of your plans to go to the MDR...