Sticker shock on excursions

uvasag

I just started researching for a family trip to Alaska. First was the airfare from Detroit that almost made me cancel our plans. Now the excursions. They are so costly !!! I see most of the fellow cruisers kind of doing the same popular excursions - Whale watching, train in Skagway etc. but they are all so expensive and for a family of 4 everything is times 4. Not to sound too cheap but how much are you guys spending on excursions total ? I think per person it could easily be a $1000 . Am I wrong ?

I just started researching for a family trip to Alaska. First was the airfare from Detroit that almost made me cancel our plans. Now the excursions. They are so costly !!! I see most of the fellow cruisers kind of doing the same popular excursions - Whale watching, train in Skagway etc. but they are all so expensive and for a family of 4 everything is times 4. Not to sound too cheap but how much are you guys spending on excursions total ? I think per person it could easily be a $1000 . Am I wrong ?

It could easily be more, or it could easily be less. On our first trip to Alaska my wife thought it was just two people, until after we got on board... and our two kids woke her up just before the muster drill (she was shocked and dumbfounded)! We did not spend near $1000 per person. Closer to a $1000 total and we stayed busy. Here is a link to the trip on youtube:

Edited by fishin' musician

We are doing our first Alaska sailing next month and we too had to adjust to the high prices of the excursions. Compared to sailing in the Caribbean it's crazy. We have booked our tours independently of the cruiseline but even then it wasn't really cheaper, we just hear you get a better experience as the number of participants is usually less. I think you're best to pick one exceptional excursion if money is an issue. For me, it would be the White Pass Rail trip in Skagway. We booked ours through Chilkoot Tours, 7.5hrs including lunch and time with the dog sled puppies $179 ea. We did book whale watching in Juneau but you will likely see whales right from the trip so you could easily pick something else there that doesn't involved alot of money like the glacier, Mt Roberts Tram. In Ketchikan you can really spend the day seeing the town, etc and not have to spend alot. It really depends on your interests. A person could go nuts bookings float plane trips, etc that would really add up.

I've come to the conclusion that Alaska is just plain expensive right from the cost of the cruise to everything else.

Many on here have mentioned doing a round trip from Seattle to keep airfare costs down. We're in western Canada so that wasn't really an issue for us. This was cheaper than cruising out of FLL for us in regards to air and we have to fly home from Anchorage.

Good luck in your planning. I've learned alot from the Alaska boards so just keep reading.

You can have a great time at each port and spend less than $25pp. Perhaps budget for one special trip, something that will be memorable and unique to Alaska. Are you doing a RT Vancouver?

- Ketchikan is a lovely and has an interesting history. The visitor centers have maps for free walking to visit Creek St ( where the brothells were), the salmon ladder, etc. Take the town bus for $2 out to Totem Bight to see all the totems then walk along the waterfront before returning to town.

- Juneau - the shuttle to mendenhall glacier is $20pp. For a family it might be a better choice to rent a car. then you can drive to Mendenhall on your schedule, plus drive to Douglass Island then out to the coast to Roads End, stopping at the Shrine of St Therese and Eagle Beach.

- Skagway -- skip the train and rent a car. Drive yourselves to the Yukon!

Borrow some Alaska travel books from your library and do a little research. There are only 6-7 ports. Learn about each port, and the sights and activities available at each one. MAke lists of activities at each port and ask the family to vote.

Also, each town has a web site to support local tourism and vendors.

ie http://www.skagway.com and http://www.traveljumeau.com

Another option ... skip the cruise. Fly into Anchorage and rent a small RV for a week or 10 days.

We are a family of four and cruise to Alaska frequently, and yes the cost of excursions can be very high. We generally splurge at one port and then are more cost conscious at others. A very good way to really get out and see the ports and surrounding areas where you truly find the beauty of Alaska is to rent a car. This is a much more cost effective option and we have had some of our best days in Alaska exploring at our own pace with our own wheels.

When you can, avoid the ship excursions as they are slightly more expensive generally than booking direct, although even booking direct is pretty pricey depending on the excursion. Things we tend to splurge on include fishing and whale watching, but even those can be done more economically.

Orca Enterprises is an excellent company for whale watching in Juneau and we found their prices very good, especially as they offer both a child and junior rate.

Also generally cost effective are walking tours, museums, hiking and tours with local guides.

You don't have to fill up your itinerary with every expensive ship exursion to have a good time in Alaska. Do some research here and on Trip Advisor and you will find plenty of ways to keep costs down and still do and see plenty!

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. Following were the activities that were really interesting and I would love to do them. Can you suggest cheaper alternatives.

1. Whale watching - was thinking of doing Harv and Marv at Juneau

2. Bear watching - was thinking of doing this in Icy Strait

3. Glacier - Might do Mendenhall at Juneau

4. Kenai Fjords at Seward

5. Chilkoot train - Somebody already mentioned that we could rent our own car and do it by ourselves. Would the scenic ride be the same ?

Thanks and pardon me if my questions are still naive. I'm still in the beginning stages of my cruise planning.

So you're doing a one-way cruise ?

I would also encourage you to read trip reports. Look at the STICKYs above for 2013 and 2014.. For 2013 go right to reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline. First hand accounts of excursions and activites are hard to beat. Lots of great photos too.

@mapleleaves - So far I've decided to do a cruise North to South. Either from Seward or Whittier. The ports of calls would be Juneau, Skagway, Icy strait and Ketchikan. I've been reading trip reports and the excursions I listed above seem to be the common theme. I will read some more.

Thank you all for your replies.

The port towns are directly at the port so you can get off the ship and explore. Contact all the local towns and get all their free info. We have done AK 3 times and really did not spend much on excursions. Icy Strait is the only port I havent visited among your ports. The towns are quaint if you just want to walk around. Mendenhall Glacier is a short bus ride away and the visitor center included if you have a National Parks pass.

if you want to invest in bear viewing, be sure to do your research. There are peak periods of time at each location, usually dependent on salmon runs. And some of those trips are primarily black bears if that makes a difference to you.

(Read the recent comment about an Icy St excursion)

Excursion, along with most everything, are expensive in Alaska. We usually book the cruise when it becomes available and then book excursions every few months to spread out the cost. Harv & Marv run a good whale watch, as does FISHES in ISP. We don't do float planes, which are really expensive, because my DH does not like to fly.

Mary Lou

I agree that most of these towns can be explored on your own. I just don't want to miss out on unique Alaskan things like whales and bears(grizzly if I could) and other incredible wild life. I went to Africa last year on a safari and went cheap and decided on a 3 day Masai Mara trip vs 7 days. Worst mistake of my life. At that time I thought I was being frugal but to go that far and not see to your heart's content !!! So even though some excursions are going to be expensive I don't want to regret not doing it. I know I'm kind of sending mixed signals here but just trying to figure out cheaper options for the same invaluable experiences.

I fully understand when you see all the excursions that Alaska has to offer, you want to do them all, as they all sound so enticing. Obviously you can't , but what you need to do is get the family together and decide on ONE excursion that everyone wants to do more than anything else. DO THAT. For the other ports, renting a car is your best bet. Like in Skagway, you can rent from AVIS for about $125 and make your own tour. Alaska is not hard to navigate. Sure the train sounds like fun, but with a car, you can almost mirror the train trip and a whole lot more. Pack a picnic lunch and take a ride into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. You will not regret it.

Same for Juneau, rent a car and ride to Mendenhall and explore other parts of Juneau. Ketchikan is a small town, and very easy to spend a day without breaking the bank. You could do the Lumberjack show, or the tram up to Mt Roberts. Either won't break the bank.

Obviously a whale watch cannot be done by yourselves, so if that is the one thing to splurge on,. go for it.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time. There is simply no need to break the bank and run around like maniacs trying to see and do everything.

Cheers

Len

Many have provided great recommendations.

I'll make a few comments. I have heard great things about Harv & Marv's, but we went with another tour operator our first trip in Juneau for the whale watch. They were about $100 per person. We booked on the pier because our Heli-dog mush got cancelled (low clouds). Anyway, it was GREAT. All of the whale watch boats go to the exact same place. I would recommend still going independent for the smaller tour size/boat size, but I did notice a large difference with Harv/Marv vs. others like Orca Enterprises. We are going back (next week! Yay!) and I have booked with Orca this time. It's hard for me to justify the extra $60 per person. That can really add up for a family of 4. And Orca is not a large boat compared to the ship sponsored excursions. Something to think about...that savings could pay for the rental car in Skagway, or something else.

As for the Bears in Ketchikan, I have not gone to Anan and have heard great things. It is very expensive. I would do a lot of research of the time you are going. The price isn't cheaper even when the likelihood of seeing bears is much less. It is also quite a bit of travel time (albeit gorgeous scenery on the way, I'm sure). Just something to think about there. I would only want to spend that money out if I knew i had a high chance of seeing what I was going for. The totem pole parks are decent as well as the walk around town. It's a great port for keeping low key and save money compared to Juneau and Skagway. This trip, we booked the Ketchikan Taxi Tour and are hoping to go to Herring Cove and see more outside of the city itself. There is a chance (smaller chance than Anan and other places) of seeing bears. I'll report back and let you know if I think it's something to consider for others.

If you choose not to rent a car in Skagway, I would recommend a combination shuttle/train trip to Emerald Lake. We went through Dyea Dave and took their small shuttle up into the Yukon. It was astounding! Then they dropped us off at the Railroad in Fraser to take the train back to Skagway. It was a little more expensive doing it this way, but I enjoyed the train experience. I did see some kids asleep, it's a long day. If I had kids, I think I would forgo the train part as it might not be as exciting for them. I don't think I would do the round trip train to the summit and back. You will get some nice scenery, but not as much as you could get going to the Yukon.

Have fun planning--I remember how overwhelming it was for my first trip, but it does get easier when you start nailing down confirmations, etc.

Edited by reney313

Excursions are half of an Alaska trip in my opinion- meaning, if you have not plans, and just wander the shopping district, you are missing out significantly.

I do the tours I want, and don't have any limits. This is my preference and what works for me. First, you may want to determine the amount you actually want to spend, then narrow the search. There is little point in tour selection until that is determined in my opinion.

I do see a lot of reports with budget restrictions, that do make good use of their Alaska time enjoy their trips. BUT, if there truly things you wish to see and do, and it's just not possible due to funds, some hard choices need to be made. It could involve holding off on the trip until the funds are there (which will allow those choices much faster), or compromising- if you wish to do so????

I know costs can be way up there. I'm in Alaska now, and 4 of my nights are running over $5000 total. :) (out of a 4.5 week trip)

Don't put off a cruise to Alaska because of high priced excursions...We didn't on our first cruise there and did no excursions..We walked the ports and enjoyed just being on a cruise to Alaska with the amazing scenery. Enjoy !!

@reney313 - Excellent advice. I'm going to start looking into other tour operators who provide the same experience but at a lower cost. I also read someone's blog online(It came up on google search and wasn't thru cruise critic) but she said she got off the ship and took the furthest booth for excursion and they were the cheapest. So that could be an option. Not book ahead of time and just see what local operators have to offer.

I'm now convinced that I'll rent a car in Skagway and do the trip on my own. Bear watching seems hit or miss for a lot of money so just might skip it.

We rented 2 minivans in Skagway when we went previously and drove out to Emerald Lake. We had a wonderful time, saw bears eating berries along the way and stopped whenever we wanted. Our grandchildren and adult children think that was one of the best parts of our Alaskan Cruise even above Whale Watching (but they live in So. Cal and see whales all the time). This year kayaking is on the agenda and a wilderness adventure to see bears! We've saved for over 2 years for this trip for us & our family of (19). In some ports we are just walking around soaking up the culture. Your trip will be memorable no matter what you choose to do. YOU ARE ON A CRUISE. That's pretty great all by itself!

I am feeling your pain and we are only two adults. I found it much easier to plan our Mediterranean cruise tours. We were able to find tours that accomodated groups of 8 and then recruited CC members to split the costs. The first thing I noticed when booking tours for Alaska was that the price is a per person price and not a group price. We do have another couple going with us so at least when we rent cars, we will be able to split it.

We are splurging on the Anan Creek tour because I am obsessed with seeing bears catch salmon. I researched the time and it appears we will be there during a good time to see them. Originally I wanted to do the helicopter/dogsled tour but doing both would be too much so I decided on the bears.

In ISP we are booking the guys for halibut fishing and the girls will do a whale watch.

In Juneau, we had originally planned for all 4 of us to go on a whale watch but I have switched it to ISP. Here we will do Mendenhall and I was looking into a float trip.

In Skagway we are renting a car.

One more question on the Harv and Marv whale tours. There are BOGO coupons in the tour savers and northern lights coupon booklets. Will using those coupons make the price comparable to other cheaper operators ? Also, for a family of 4 can I use 2 of the BOGO coupons ?

We will be doing a cruise tour next summer. I am doing a lot of research at the cities and ports we will at doing our tour. There is so much information on these boards. I learn so much from the reviews that people have written about their trips. This will most likely be the one and only time we ever get to this location. So with that in mind we are going to things we will never get to do again and arrive a day early to explore Fairbanks and staying 2 days in Vancouver when our trip ends. In Juneau we will do a whale watch , Mendenhall glacier and try to get to the Alaskan Brewery--what company perhaps Harv and Marv, Weather Permitting or Orca. Still making the decision. In Haines/Skagway well I am considering the Davidson Glacier tour, some may want the train excursion or we may just rent a van and go on our own. We did a tour in Roatan Honduras with a company called Bodden Tours excellent if you ever go. Back then we got our own guide for the entire day took us wherever we wanted to go or where he recommended--$25 per person. Of course we gave a nice tip. So much cheaper than in Alaska. In Ketchikan I think we are going to just going to walk around the town. It looks like such a lovely port to explore. I have made notes about places to eat in each town and port. We will have 8 to 10 people, so I do not expect everyone to choose the same excursion. It is fun reading and planning it out! Good luck with your choices!

I understand completely, the excursions are quite pricy, especially x 4.

I'm doing this trip and there are 3 of us. What I've planned mirrors most of the advice given above:

prices are approximate *** add in daily costs for food and snacks***

Vancouver - just walking around the city and park - cost $0

Ketchikan - bus to totem parks, tram, walk around, Dolly museum - $50

ISP - walk to town, see eagles, whales from shore, cannery shops - $0

Juneau - car rental+gas, hike to glacier, drive around - $90

Skagway - car rental, drive to Yukon, suspension bridge, visit puppies - $275

Seward - Sealife Center - $50

Transfer to Anchorage - Alaska Railroad, Goldstar Service - $420

Fly home!

Grand total - $885 + 5 lunches, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, lots of snacks

so see, not so terrible if you pick and choose what you do. if you opt for regular train service instead of Goldstar the cost is half.

You might want to check out other cruises, your South to North hits the same ports as round trip from Seattle hits and your air will be much less. We got flights from DTW to SEA for about $540.00 but you can do better with some stops. We sail the Caribbean quite often and had to double check excursion prices for Alaska.

J.

Thank you Travgurl and sparklebee. Sparklebee I like your breakup of ports and activities and how much it's going to cost. It gives me and many others an idea of what can be done and how much it will cost.

Anything that involves a helicopter (common transportation in Alaska) is very expensive. Definitely skip the cruise sponsored tours because they're more expensive. I agree that it's worth it to spend money on tours to get away from the touristy ports if it's in your budget.

I really liked Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan. They are $60-80/person, less for kids.