cruise checkin confidentiality questions

seagoat338

I once broke up with a guy because he lied to me about his age. And only by about 6 years.

Wouldn't have mattered if he lied by 6 years or 60. The problem was...He was a LIAR.

You can not be trusted, I hope your girlfriend reads this thread and/or your cruise docs. :mad:

It makes me sad that so many people here are supporting you in your dishonesty. My heart goes out to your probably soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend

I am with you

Honesty is the base for any relationship both personal and business

I told my soon to be fiancée things about me thinking she would break up with me

Well let's just say it didn't even cause an issue

Honesty is utmost importance but apparently in society is not as much anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I once broke up with a guy because he lied to me about his age. And only by about 6 years.

Wouldn't have mattered if he lied by 6 years or 60. The problem was...He was a LIAR.

You can not be trusted, I hope your girlfriend reads this thread and/or your cruise docs. :mad:

It makes me sad that so many people here are supporting you in your dishonesty. My heart goes out to your probably soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend

I think a lot of posters were simply staying on topic - and simply not expressing their value opinions. OP just wanted to know if his vital statistics would be blurted out.

While a lot of us may have felt the whole deal seems creepy, going beyond the question raised is comparable to commenting on the bad decisions smokers make on a thread questioning how long it will be before HAL bans balcony smoking.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching the Steve Harvey talk show and caught the end of some woman asking for advice about going on a cruise with some guy that apparently she barely knew (didn't catch how long they knew each other and it didn't sound like they were, at the time, in a "romantic relationship"). Steve was just rolling his eyes as was the rest of the audience at the whole idea.

I know the OP hasn't asked for relationship experience but it doesn't sound very mature to be so intent on keeping that kind of secret. I don't understand what the big deal is about a handful or less of years. And I wonder how many of his buddies are keeping a pool going about how long the relationship will last (harsh, but I'm willing to bet without knowing either of them that a year from now, they won't even be in touch with each other).

It's not the age factor that's a problem, it's the stranger situation.

And to those who castigate others who gave an opinion, he volunteered info (maybe TMI).

If you don't want 'people in your business', don't invite them!:eek::D:p

??? They've known each other a month - I think in today's society, and as they're both grown-up, that's long enough to dispense with the chaperone. (Fixed your formatting problem, btw ;))

And to those who castigate others who gave an opinion, he volunteered info (maybe TMI).

If you don't want 'people in your business', don't invite them!:eek::D:p

This is exactly what went through my mind. If one asks a question like this, don't be surprised if some of us don't want to ignore the obvious.

And for the poster above, I think jwm51 is just trying to emphasis why he/she disagreed with your comment.

Not at check in, but at customs when we returned.

In Miami last year, our party had 4 last names. My daughter A, my husband B and my hyphenated A-B, plus my Mom's C, which is now my middle name.

The customs agent asked us each a different combination of full name, birth date, place of birth and something else -- he asked when I'd been in India (big sticker/stamp), and how long my daughter had had her current passport (which had recently been renewed).

Not sure why we got the drill, but maybe that was this particular agent's way of detecting forgeries or something. It was quick, but all out loud.

If your date enters her own passport info on the website, she can easily click over to see yours. If she thought about looking, she could certainly find it there... or simply in your wallet.

FWIW, I usually have something said about my date of birth whenever we travel, at the airline check-in counter, by TSA, cruise check-in, customs agents, etc. Things like "Oh, you're a Christmas baby", or "really, Christmas Day?", however they've been kind enough to never mention the year.

As one who is married to someone nearly 14 years older, I'd say tell her your true age, because the numbers really don't matter when you feel like you were meant to be together.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm not a gambler, but I'd be willing to bet she already knows your age. A quick google search would pull it up.

I've never had anyone at check in for any cruise line discuss personal information about an adult.

I have been verbally asked about age/birthday on several recent cruises at check-in, but two members of our party have the same name and that's the differentiating factor they fall back to by default. My wife and daughter were not asked so it seems unlikely to be an issue for you.

Coming back through customs it seems not uncommon for them to ask about birth dates, middle names, and the like. However of the 4 of us who usually travel together I'm the only one who uses a passport. The others are on birth certificates from a state/county which doesn't use an embossed/raised seal so those already seem to garner additional scrutiny (sometimes, not always)

She knows I'm older. She's 24, I'm 38. She guessed my age one night over drinks at 33. She likes older more mature men.

Makes no difference if you've known each other a month or a year, nor does it matter that you are older and she is younger. If you want to cruise together, enjoy! And they won't announce your age at check in as others have said.

But I do find your highlighted comment interesting - how mature is it to be hiding your true age?? :D:rolleyes: Just tell her.....

(And BTW, while not quite the same as 14, I am 8 years older than my wife of 32 years - which she new the day we met).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Ok, I've been on a cruise before, but do not recall the specifics on check-in as it has been a while.

I'm traveling with my brand new girlfriend who is younger then me. I've not lied about my age to her, as she knows I'm older then her, I just don't think she knows, "how much older" :) and for the time being, I'd like to keep it that way.

So my question is, when you check in, is you birthdate, name, address and all other personal information blurted out loud by the person checking you in? If so, any suggestions on how to avoid this? I recall walking up to the counter, giving a credit card and showing proper ID, passport etc. But do they repeat stuff back to you, like, "Kevin Williams, your birthdate is...."

I think you get the idea. This might seem trivial, but it's important to me. If they do say you personal info for her to hear, any suggestions on how I might avoid this scenario.

Thanks!

Have never had this problem. :)

If you are so seriously worried about your girlfriend learn such a basic thing about you as your age that you came to a public internet forum to learn if you can continue to deceive her....... you just might want to give this relationship some serious thought.

You really want to take her on a cruise but you won't be honest with her?

You are both over over 21 years old and can make your own choices but if you don't want our opinions and comments, you probably should have expected something like this to happen.

Whatever happens, Good Luck and Best Wishes to you both.

As to your question. I seriously doubt your date of birth will be mentioned when you check in.

Go have a good time, don't worry about the age thing, bring it up when the time is right. I prefer older women so I have been on the opposite end...I knew they were older, but I let them tell me when they were ready how much older.

Ok, I've been on a cruise before, but do not recall the specifics on check-in as it has been a while.

I'm traveling with my brand new girlfriend who is younger then me. I've not lied about my age to her, as she knows I'm older then her, I just don't think she knows, "how much older" :) and for the time being, I'd like to keep it that way.

So my question is, when you check in, is you birthdate, name, address and all other personal information blurted out loud by the person checking you in? If so, any suggestions on how to avoid this? I recall walking up to the counter, giving a credit card and showing proper ID, passport etc. But do they repeat stuff back to you, like, "Kevin Williams, your birthdate is...."

I think you get the idea. This might seem trivial, but it's important to me. If they do say you personal info for her to hear, any suggestions on how I might avoid this scenario.

Thanks!

Um whatever, I think this is so cute. I read about half of the first page and the shade people were throwing was unbelievable. I don't have an answer to your question but I think this post is adorable, so there's me throwing my opinion in the mix!