What makes Cruise Critic special?....The People!

kazu

Due to personal circumstances the left handed one fingered bandit has had time time to reflect and appreciate what these boards are all about.

It's not just cruising, it's also about the people on these boards. The people you have met on roll calls, maybe even some helpful advice you have gotten here.

In the last few weeks I have had many kindnesses extended to me: help with the Future Cruise Listing and Bon Voyage threads (rafinmd aka Roy ), taking on the load on HALfacts & the Westerdam spreadsheet (0bnxshs aka Rich) and now The spreadsheet for the Prinsendam cruise (CastellanoCruiser ).

not to mention many kind wishes.

This is a community of like minded people and for one minute let's forget the contentious threads and rejoice in this community and what we have gleaned from it and whom we have been lucky to meet in person or here

Speaking for myself, I am a very fortunate person:D

Indeed! I have always found this to be the most helpful forum, and find more niceness than the opposite. You're one of the best, so I'm glad you got all the help! And heal fully soon!

I'm not familiar with the Westerdam spreadsheet, but we're sailing on her in December. Is that publicly available? (I did search, but didn't find anything).

We are all very fortunate to be here at the HAL forum, Jacqui.

Over the years, I, personally have gained a great deal of insight from the many veteran HAL cruisers that contribute regularly. The only thing they have to gain from it, is helping someone else's cruise be maybe just a little bit better.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Indeed! I have always found this to be the most helpful forum, and find more niceness than the opposite. You're one of the best, so I'm glad you got all the help! And heal fully soon!

I'm not familiar with the Westerdam spreadsheet, but we're sailing on her in December. Is that publicly available? (I did search, but didn't find anything).

Sorry, that spread sheet is for our cruise. It's in my signature - if anything is of any help please feel free to copy and paste, it's not copywrited;)

You are very kind

With all the events that have happened in the world this week, we should all feel blessed that we can look forward to a cruise. Despite some differences in opinion expressed on this board, we are so fortunate to live in a peaceful society.

I think this community has reached the point where the ugly, attacking post by an odd poster is more often ignored now than in the past. There used to be some 'jumping on the bandwagon' but thankfully, hopefully, we've grown up a bit and stopped that kind of gang up piling on. When someone writes a mean message now, the vast majority know it reflects far more on the poster than on the person they are slamming.

Thanks for posting this thread, Jacqui.

With all the pain and violence in the world right now, a peaceful, friendly place to escape is a treasure. The good people here have certainly been helping me through a difficult time and I am appreciative.

So happy to see your arm is healing and you can type more now. :)

Kazu, you are so right. I have "met" some wonderful, caring people here on CC. From help with photos, people arranging excursions, the ladies who recycle clothing (I was able to get two beautiful handbags), and suggestions on insurance to information on ports of call, discussions of various cruise lines, and our lively sail-away threads, Cruise Critic is a great way to talk with others who share the cruising obsession. It is also fun when you get to meet some of your CC friends in person.:)

I definitely agree. I love this site. As my cruise gets closer and closer I'm on here 2 or 3 times a day. I don't post as much as some, but I read a lot of posts. The help I have gleaned from the posters on here is immeasurable. thanks to all.

In the year and a half since I joined Cruise Critic I have made friends and learned a lot. I do think that the "Critic" part is taken a bit too seriously by some, and we should perhaps be "Community" instead, but as Sail said, it's best just to ignore the contentious issues. Thank you all.

I have to say, I have met some wonderful people on my cruises via Cruise Critic, through roll calls and special threads. Some life-long friendships have been made. I've even had members I've never met offer to meet us in their home port and play tour guide for us (and we have done exactly that for others) - and had a wonderful time. However, just like real life, things flare and ebb, arguments break out - and let's face it, it would be really boring if we all agreed on the same things and there's nothing wrong with a good debate.;) We just have to keep our heads and try to remain polite and civil.:)

Edited by Lizzie68

.However, just like real life, things flare and ebb, arguments break out - and let's face it, it would be really boring if we all agreed on the same things and there's nothing wrong with a good debate.;) We just have to keep our heads and try to remain polite and civil.:)

Well said. And, agreed!

I have only been involved in using Cruise Critic for a short time, and feel I have "met" many wonderful people. I am looking forward to actually meeting them all on our cruise. Big thanks are due to Kazu for carefully tutoring me on using forums and on setting up private tours.

Happy Cruising to all,

Sorry to voice a slight qualification to KAZU's comment, but I must.

I've found that it is the people on the Cruise Critic HAL board who are considerate, kind and helpful. There are a few exceptions, just like in real life, but the exceptions are few and far between.

I've cruised on other lines and been on their related forums. They are not like HAL's.

Maybe it is because the crew of HAL vessels is so considerate, kind and helpful that the spirit just follows?

Sorry to voice a slight qualification to KAZU's comment, but I must.

I've found that it is the people on the Cruise Critic HAL board who are considerate, kind and helpful. There are a few exceptions, just like in real life, but the exceptions are few and far between.

I've cruised on other lines and been on their related forums. They are not like HAL's.

Maybe it is because the crew of HAL vessels is so considerate, kind and helpful that the spirit just follows?

What a lovely post. Thank you for mentioning the special crews.

Isn't it fitting to include the very special crews of HAL in a conversation about HAL ! For me, HAL has always been about the people. DH and I love HAL crews and with rare exception find them very beautiful people.

I tried to think of all the special people I have met as a result of CC and I gave up because there are just so many. Even my husband, who pooh poohed the idea at first, looks forward to meet and greets now that he too, has met so many nice people.

Aside from the people I have had the pleasure of meeting, I have learned many tips on cruising, hotels and flying. CC has been an amazing resource

I would add a few. Both halfacts and the future cruise project were started by others, I know of GmaPajama and English_in_Spain on the future cruises and Sppunk helping get halfacts off the ground as well as Joanie for providing the service for several years and providing the inspiration.

This generally seems to be one of the friendliest forums. It's the only one where I've met several people I haven't yet cruised with (Joanie, Shiela, Kazu).

It's a really nice community where I think people are inspired to help out.

Roy

I'm a fairly active participant on maybe ten different forums with diverse subjects from auto racing to gambling to shooting sports, even a few professional related forums. And, I must say this forum is far and away the most civil, polite and helpful forum I read and participate in. People here have their opinions, but the opinions of others are always respected and welcomed. Every other forum I read has a number of degenerates that are only there to be condescending, argumentative and insulting and contribute nothing of substance. Such is rarely if ever the case here. That is very commendable and most appreciated.

Well done fellow HAL cruisers! ::applause::

Although the kindnesses I spoke of have come from the HAL board, and it's where I am home....i do spend time in the ports boards. There are pile of helpful, knowledgeable people there happy to help.

Kind, helpful people that you may not see here.

There are a lot of wonderful people on cruise critic :)

Edited by kazu

Due to personal circumstances the left handed one fingered bandit has had time time to reflect and appreciate what these boards are all about.

It's not just cruising, it's also about the people on these boards. The people you have met on roll calls, maybe even some helpful advice you have gotten here.

In the last few weeks I have had many kindnesses extended to me: help with the Future Cruise Listing and Bon Voyage threads (rafinmd aka Roy ), taking on the load on HALfacts & the Westerdam spreadsheet (0bnxshs aka Rich) and now The spreadsheet for the Prinsendam cruise (CastellanoCruiser ).

not to mention many kind wishes.

This is a community of like minded people and for one minute let's forget the contentious threads and rejoice in this community and what we have gleaned from it and whom we have been lucky to meet in person or here

Speaking for myself, I am a very fortunate person:D

Although the kindnesses I spoke of have come from the HAL board, and it's where I am home....i do spend time in the ports boards. There are pile of helpful, knowledgeable people there happy to help.

Kind, helpful people that you may not see here.

There are a lot of wonderful people on cruise critic :)

Agree whole heartedly Jacqui.. And you are one of the best! :):)

I'm a fairly active participant on maybe ten different forums....And, I must say this forum is far and away the most civil, polite and helpful forum I read and participate in...Every other forum I read has a number of degenerates that are only there to be condescending, argumentative and insulting and contribute nothing of substance. Such is rarely if ever the case here. That is very commendable and most appreciated.

Agreed. And I always appreciate how civil and helpful folks are answering questions that they've probably answered over and over. I try to search out threads before asking, but search results are not always easy to mine, so I really appreciate the patience and civility exhibited here.

Edited by thetexasaggiecruiser

This seems like a good thread in which to put my thank you note to the Cruise Critic people posting on this board. I hope this isn't considered hijacking it.

I believe reading these forums certainly enriched my cruise experience. Because of the enthusiastic people here I sought out and found the bread pudding, the fig cart, and the women's bathroom with the ocean view. I tried the eggs Benedict, the creme brulee, and the fruit soups(I can definitely say I wouldn't have tried a fruit soup without the good reviews here). I confidently used my Explore 4 beverage card at the Explorations Cafe, for bottles of water, and for the glasses of house wine in the MDR. I may have done of this without Cruise Critic shared knowledge, but it certainly helped.

So thank you Cruise Critic posters very much for enriching my vacation! Whoo hooo! Everyone take a pat on the back!