Appropriate attire for ladies.

We are doing the Barcelona to Monte Carlo cruise in September. The information on line regarding evening apparel for women is very confusing. This is our first Regent's Cruise and also our first in Europe. What is Elegant Casual for the two major dining rooms, and how does that compare to the other evenings. Thank you.

You can wear slacks/nice top/jacket or a dress but no need for anything majorly fancy.

Used to be when we first started cruising on Regent, folks would have gowns and tuxes for formal nights. Those days are long gone ...thankfully

We are doing the Barcelona to Monte Carlo cruise in September. The information on line regarding evening apparel for women is very confusing. This is our first Regent's Cruise and also our first in Europe. What is Elegant Casual for the two major dining rooms, and how does that compare to the other evenings. Thank you.

I've only cruised to Alaska on Regent, but felt very comfortable with black slacks and "nice" (button down - kind of thing I normally wear to work) blouses and comfortable (for me = flat) shoes on all nights of the cruise.

Also, make sure to take a light sweater or blazer to wear to dinner, because sometimes it can get cold in the restaurants.

Also, you can repeat outfits easily for dinners, so don't over-pack.

Since I will be packing for the Baltics today and tomorrow, this has been a topic uppermost in my mind!

Enjoy your cruise!

We were looking for something special for our upcoming 50th anniversary and thought a small ship, luxury cruise would be ideal. But, I've noticed some rudeness directed toward "newbies."

As a possible Regent cruiser, this sort of exchange here where people are anonymous, makes me wonder what the real life experience on board would be like.

The real life experience on board is fine. The problem is not rudeness towards newbies, or rudeness towards any other particular group, but that some people are easily annoyed and give little thought about others' feelings when they express that annoyance. There may be some connection between being easily annoyed by others, yet unaware that others may be annoyed by them. You'll always find a few folks like this in any group, including guests aboard any ship on any cruise line. Fortunately, aboard ship, you may never run across them. In a closed environment like this forum they are more readily observable.

Goodness gracious, this person is new to CC and is asking a legitimate question. Let's be nice.

To answer the question. I usually wear short cocktail dresses or black slacks with a sparkly top. But anything you would wear to a nice restaurant at home will be fine. I am a bit (well, a lot, if you ask my husband) of a fashionista, so I tend to lux things up. But it is not at all required. My husband wears dress pants and a nice dress shirt. Occasionally he will add a blazer. But he hasn't taken a tie on regent in years.

Just got off the Voyager.....John wore a jacket with a sports shirt once. We brought two jackets.. a waste of packing space! I'm a great fan of dressyish (I know that's not a word, but you get the idea) caftans.......throw on a pair of dressy "flip flops" and you're good to go! It works wonders towards the end of the cruise, when dress pants are getting a little snug. They also require a minimum of complicated under pinnings! Be comfortable! Actually had two crew members comment on how nice it looked! I consider that a coup!!!

I wasn't sure either when we went on our first Regent cruise. I did wear a dressier outfit on two occasions - the Captain's welcome and one other night. My husband wore a navy sport coat those 2 nights. I always include a wrap, mine is usually a balck shawl; as the OP pointed out, it can get cool in the restaurants and lounges. Some people dress up more, but I never felt out of place.

My standard packing for evening is usually 2 pair of black pants and various tops. If it's hotter climate, then maybe a dress, too or even dressy capris. Have seen sweater sets and slacks or a nice skirt. People run the gamut.My DH usually wears a dress shirt and slacks. He may wear a tie when he has a sport coat on, but not always. We found everyone we met very welcoming and my guess is you will, too.

Welcome aboard Regent and please post again. I have learned a great deal from the CC Boards.

I wear something similar to the Chico's Traveler Starter Kit to dinner and I jazz it up with some costume jewelry. I buy my outfits at the thrift store where I volunteer. I always wear flats.

DH wears a golf jacket instead of a sports coat. That want he can wear it out on excursions, and he is not cold in the restaurants.

I truly hope that you enjoy your experience on Regent. We really like Regent.

Regent has become relaxed in good taste from what I hear from my friends. I would not stress over this. The last thing you want to have is stress on your cruise. Just go and enjoy. All the fashion police have been arrested and are in the briggs.

We were looking for something special for our upcoming 50th anniversary and thought a small ship, luxury cruise would be ideal. But, I've noticed some rudeness directed toward "newbies."

As a possible Regent cruiser, this sort of exchange here where people are anonymous, makes me wonder what the real life experience on board would be like.

Everyone on Cruise Critic was a newbie at one time - some are more helpful

than others! That's life!

Happy Anniversary! And 50 MORE!

Edited by TedC

Not to worry, Starry Eyed, we all had these same questions. I always appreciate it when someone asks. What others here have suggested is all very appropriate. Please know that when you meet others from/on the ship, you will find them all very friendly and the atmosphere to be lovely. Have a great trip!

For the most part, I wear dress pants (elastic waist works wonders!) with a nice top, sometimes adding a light sweater. I also wear dresses occasionally, but I like to play dress up, and I am not referring to the corporate dress code. The only times we really "put on the ritz" is for New Year's Eve which is usually a more fancy affair and for the time we were invited to the Captain's table for dinner - those were about the only two occasions where I will wear hose while on vacation. On evenings when we really don't want to change for dinner, we either order room service, which can be quite addicting, or go upstairs which is much less formal but still has the no jeans after 6:00pm dress code. We don't like to over pack so we will wear the same outfit more than once and for the longer cruises may wear the same thing many times - so far no citations from the fashion police.

gnomie :)

Aloha Starry,

We find the Regent dress code from their website quite clear and easy to follow:

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

Because we are both unused to air conditioning, and do not like it much, I was happy that I decided to take a sport coat; I wore it several evenings, not because I felt I needed to wear a jacket in order to feel that I fit in while dining in the restaurants; rather, I found the dining areas to be too cold. My wife wore a wrap of some sort almost everywhere on the ship as she too gets cold very easily!

Just pack to the code and do not worry about anything.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Crystal does allow nice dress jeans on resort casual nights. Some tours return late and you are still in port and hungry. I really don't think Regent is any diffrent. We wear black smart jeans and a nice shirt when it is resort casual. Regent allows it as well as far as I know.

I can't recall ever seeing dress jeans in the evening, but to be honest, I don't pay that much attention.

The advice about having a sweater or other wrap should be taken. The restaurant can be a bit chilly, and the show lounge downright arctic at times. I always carry a shawl (aka "blankie") in the evening.

I can't recall ever seeing dress jeans in the evening, but to be honest, I don't pay that much attention.

The advice about having a sweater or other wrap should be taken. The restaurant can be a bit chilly, and the show lounge downright arctic at times. I always carry a shawl (aka "blankie") in the evening.

You missed the point about dress jeans. Late arrival back from a tour which happens and dinner is already going on. Just look nice. You will not be thrown off the ship, especially when the ship overnights and people are coming and going on and off the ship.

Edited by Suite Travels

We are currently on the Voyager. The "dress police" that we see are in the Observation Lounge (the bartenders, head bartenders, etc.). They are very watchful but also very kind. If you enter the lounge after 6:00 p.m. wearing jeans, they serve you one drink but then ask that you please change because of the dress code. This has occurred several times on our cruise over the past three weeks. No one gets upset as it is done discreetly.

Actually, if you simply avoid jeans or shorts, you will not have any problem. Tallship described it well and I agree that there was no reason to be nasty when a question is asked. This question is asked frequently and is important to people that are new to Regent. Regent has a has a friendly crew and passengers and the majority are very happy to answer questions -- no matter how many times they are asked:)

Edited by Travelcat2

I don't think the allegedly "nasty" response was aimed at the OP at all.

I think it was referring to the fact that threads on dress code too often degenerate into some people trying to impose their personal dress preferences on others, instead of simply answering the question as to what is required by the cruise line (as was done by tallship in post #2). This then leads to a rather unpleasant, here-we-go-again, back-and-forth on the subject, and I think this is what posting #3 was expressing concern over.

Edited by marinaro44

On our first Regent cruise I brought alot of clothes. We were with a group of 20 and I thought I'd wear something diffferent every night. One of the ladies (she'd sailed with Regent alot) wore black slacks every night with a top and jacket or sweater. She changed the color of the top but that was it. On my second Regent cruise I sure didn't pack as much and didn't worry about it. I hate jeans so that wasn't a problem :D

Think Chico's and you can't go wrong (minus blue jeans in the evening of course)! Have a great time :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

TravelCat2,

I like the way they are handling the dress issues on your cruise. We have seen this approach on several of our Regent cruises. Not offensive but assertive.

Nana541, I agree with you Chico's or Soft Surroundings work for me. One long black skirt and one pair of palazzo pants with cute tops.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I have done several 10- to 14-night cruises on Regent and are gearing up for a 28-nighter (!). We live in a very rural area of the U.S. and have to fly quite a distance to hook up with an embarkation point -- both of which mitigate against even having formal wear, let alone packing it for a vacation!

I have been happy and, I think, well-enough dressed by packing a single long sleeveless black dress, a pair of black evening pants, and a few simple camisoles or tank-type tops. None of these take up much weight or room in your suitcase. Add a few colorful scarves (my secret weapon), a couple of long sweaters, maybe an elastic belt to shorten the dress if you like, some chunky jewelry and a pair of gold or nude wedge sandals -- much kinder to the feet than heels IMHO -- and you will look smashing every evening. Plus, you'll be comfortable and your luggage won't weigh a ton.

Notice that I said "well-enough dressed" above; and I mean that. You want to be comfortable "in your own skin," as the French say (although it sounds better in French, of course) but you needn't feel like you're on parade. Just remember that no one is looking at YOU; they're far too busy thinking about what THEY look like!

Edited by montanarose12

Thank you everyone for the valuable tips on packing for this cruise. I have a tendency to overdress and am delighted that my Chico wardrobe will suffice. You are all very gracious and I am so looking forward to sharing this voyage with others like you!