We are on the 1/18/15 sailing of the Silhouette for our honeymoon. It is my fiancée's

GabbyKeira

Got cut off....my fiancées first cruise and my third (which was a long time ago). We live in the northeast and am concerned flying to FL in January. Do most folks fly in the night before? Also, all that is open was open seating or the 8:30 seating. What are your experiences with open seating? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we always buy insurance and leave from NYC airports we now take the risk and fly in the same day the cruise begins. LGA and JFK have many many flights a day to Miami so we figure if something is delayed or canceled we can get on another flight. You do take a risk though. We always cruise in January and been lucky so far. Formerly we did fly in ithe night before, but it was always so cold we couldn't even use the pool at the hotel. Good luck!

With possible bad NE weather be safe, travel the day before and enjoy the sunshine in Miami/FLL.

Select Dining with Celebrity is very good with either making a reservation or just showing up. I prefer the reservation route.

I'm in NH and will be one of the sad faces you see as we disembark the day you board. We always fly at least one day ahead. I've been on flights and seen people who will not be making it to the port on time....not pretty. Too many things can happen with winter weather, go start your vacation early.

I was able to book the early seating but also booked the four night specialty dining package. Looking forward to trying the different restaurants. I've had select dining with RC and loved it but can't give you any info for Celebrity.

Enjoy your planning...I certainly am!

Can you make the reservations ahead of time? I'm giving my TA the deposit tonight, but just like to have all the info. Also, if you do open seating, do you usually pre pay gratuities?

Can you make the reservations ahead of time? I'm giving my TA the deposit tonight, but just like to have all the info. Also, if you do open seating, do you usually pre pay gratuities?

Hi,:) yes, if you book "select dining" your TA should know....all gratuties

are paid up front...not usually....but always;)

Yes pre-paid Gratuities are required for Select Dining.

On the same cruise. Come over to the Roll Call, we have a great group! You cannot reserve seating in Select Dining in advance. You do pre pay gratuities if you are in Select. What some to to avoid this is chose Traditional, where you don't prepay and then switch to Select when you board. Of course there is a risk that a select will be full, but I doubt that this would happen on this particular cruise.

Do come to Florida a day or two prior to the cruise. Not worth the stress to wait in order to save a few dollars.

We will be celebrating our 48th on this cruise and wish you many years of happiness.

Edited by Orator

DEFINITELY fly in the day before (or even more!). The northeast was pummeled last winter and who knows what we'll get next year.

There are plenty of hotels in FLL close to the cruise port to choose from.

My experiences with select dining have all been favorable honestly. I always choose it. Rarely do we wait.

Have a great vacation! If you have any other questions, ask them!

Thank you all so much and I will definitely head over to roll call!

We actually didn't get select dining at this time, but "open" dining. I'm guessing it just gives us a window!

Anyone do the beverage package? Worth it?

Thank you all for being so kind and sharing your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We actually didn't get select dining at this time, but "open" dining. I'm guessing it just gives us a window!

The value of a beverage package would be based on what you drink and how often you drink. What package interests you?

Open dining and Select dining are the same thing, Select dining is just Celebrity's name for it.

Not sure where the term "Open" came from, either it is Traditional or Select Dining.

Those of us who have been on the boards a long time have read lots of sad posts from people trying to fly same day as their cruise during the winter months. Especially from your location, I would think it is critical. And also allow your luggage to catch up with you should there be a mishap

Not sure where the term "Open" came from, either it is Traditional or Select Dining.

I guess folks just use their own terms;).....select dining would be

the same thing as open:D

Heck I live on the West Coast of Florida and go over a day early :) We do it because I get my parking included for 1 night hotel cost plus we get to start our vacation a day early. No way I'd risk flying in the day of in January.

We always get Select dining. We love it, some prefer traditional. We got the beverage package and I don't even drink. Wife drinks a bit but this just gives us freedom to order what she wants without worrying about a bill. I can get all the good coffee, non alcohol drinks, water, etc. without worrying about the bill. A lot better deal than gratuities or OBC.

Have a great time!

We've had select dining on our last three cruises and doubt we'd ever go back to fixed dining again. We usually try to sched our dinner around the showtimes and have never had to wait more than five minutes.

Last cruise I did reserve a select dining time for one specific night ahead online. It was possible then but a previous poster says you can't so maybe that's changed...worth a try though, if you can't find the correct site, have your TA arrange it.

If you're not sure about the beverage package, you can always just pay as you go for a day or two and see if it makes sense for you and then purchase the package on the ship at any bar...it'll be charged for the remainder of your cruise but not for the first days when you didn't use it.

We always go down a day ahead, our winters can be just as bad if not worse than yours and I'd never want to risk missing the start of my cruise, even with insurance! Have fun...you'll love the Silhouette!!

Yes, the right side of the menu changes daily. The left side stays the same in case you can't find anything you like on the daily menu.

I agree with the others in that you should fly in a day ahead. There is something very special about being in the city the cruise departs from, the day before.