Premium economy seats extra price

S&B

We have our tickets from SFO to Sydney on United with FF miles. To upgrade to the Premium Economy seats is an extra $169.00. If these seats do not sell out do they reduce the extra cost or will it always be $169.00. We were upgraded one time with no cost and now I am spoiled!! Didn't know it was so much better.

Thanks for any advice.

If you are a United gold or higher you can book economy plus no charge when you book -- if you are silver you can switch seat to Econ plus if available when you check in departure no charge. And no, I have not seen the price go down departure date approaches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, these prices do not go down. If they need to (in case of a full flight and not enough booked eco plus seats), they will seat change people, most likely in order of frequent flyer status. On some occassion, non-fqtv pax can be among the lucky ones to have a free eco plus seat.

Please be aware that on United these seats have more leg room and about an inch more recline, but that's it. The seats are the same width and the service is identical to regular coach.

Yes, along with what 6Rugrats posted, please please please everyone, do learn the difference between Economy Plus (or similar) and Premium Economy. It's one we see mixed up far, far too often around here, and it could really impact your travel experience. If you think you are paying for a Premium Economy experience (better seats, better food) and end up with an Economy Plus experience (a few extra inches legroom and nothing at all else), you could be sorely disappointed.

Kinda like direct vs. nonstop...critical difference that is often mixed up around here.

Is it the same difference (Economy Plus (or similar) and Premium Economy) regardless of the airlines?

This information is very valuable to those of us with less experience. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Is it the same difference (Economy Plus (or similar) and Premium Economy) regardless of the airlines?

This information is very valuable to those of us with less experience. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

In my experience, Economy Plus (or similar) is very much an American thing, and they're all pretty much the same - United Economy Plus, American Main Cabin Extra, and Delta Comfort. A few inches extra legroom, but otherwise you're in economy class (same seat, same meal, same in-flight entertainment (if there is any)).

Premium Economy is a global thing that has not really been done in the US, because it tends to be quite a bit more money. You get a bigger seat (sometimes very much bigger or very much better, as in the case with the new Air New Zealand Premium Economy which is extremely lovely), better meals (British Airways serves the Business Class meals in Premium Economy, rather than the economy class meals), sometimes larger TVs, etc.

So while Economy Plus (or similar) is pretty much the same across the board, since it's pretty much limited to US-based airlines, Premium Economy can vary drastically across airlines (and even across aircraft types within airlines, which makes things very tricky sometimes).

So while Economy Plus (or similar) is pretty much the same across the board, since it's pretty much limited to US-based airlines, Premium Economy can vary drastically across airlines (and even across aircraft types within airlines, which makes things very tricky sometimes).

One small addition - both AF and KL are in a joint venture with DL, and they both offer a version of seating akin to DL's "Economy Comfort". AF goes a step further in the confusion realm by also having a genuine "Premium Economy" class.

Caveat Emptor.

1. UA's EconomyPlus seats are nice but nothing special beyond the extra legroom and being towards the front of the cabin (one advantage of the extra legroom is it means the rows are spaced out further so the chances of finding overhead bin space for your carry-on is slightly better although if you don't have status, most E+ seats will be filled by those with status and they will have boarded before you).

2. Pricing for UA E+ is not the same for each seat. Exit row seats tend to be a little higher. Aisles and Windows are more expensive than middles but not by so much that it doesn't make sense to buy an aisle or window.

3. I personally find E+ to be worth it. I have status so I get it for free but have paid for it for numerous relatives ranging in height from 5'8" to 6'3" and everyone seems to appreciate the extra space. A relative who is 5'5" did however feel it wasn't worth it for her. There is no extra width in the seats.

4. I prefer AA/UA/DL/KL-style extra legroom seats (or as AA has on the 77Ws, extra width in Main Cabin Extra as its 9 across instead of 10 across) as the price premium is reasonably priced. I personally do not find BA's WTP or AF Premium Voyager to be worth the nearly 2x price of a regular economy seat.

5. If you want to chance it and all regular economy seats appear assigned, you may be able to get into Economy Plus for free upon check-in but it will likely be a middle seat assuming loads are strong as they have been for the past year.

Enjoy Australia!