Freedom of the Seas drydock

We just switched staterooms for our Freedom cruise in August. We went from a regular OV on deck 2 into one of the new rooms on deck 12 - the supposedly larger "corner" stateroom 1864 (and actually saved $150!). Is it expected that the new rooms on Freedom will more or less be identical to the ones on Navigator? Reviews of that room on Nav seem to be good, so I hope so.

DW will likely be recovering from double knee replacement in March, and stairs will not be an option for her either. I wish they would designate an elevator for pax with ADA requirements (maybe key card activated?) that would alleviate the problems.

What a great idea! I can't do stairs either due to the need for total knee and hip replacement!

Your wife is a brave lady having both knees done, I'll have to chat with her!

What a great idea! I can't do stairs either due to the need for total knee and hip replacement!

Your wife is a brave lady having both knees done, I'll have to chat with her!

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. Will people with the magical cards also get to ride the normal lifts. :confused:

Thanks, it seems the movement of the private dining rooms wording creates an optical illusion that they were not there prior.

I saw them directly this time on your link, but they are still missing from many deck plans out there at agencies and deck plan websites, which is what I was commenting on that I found interesting, not the fact that they did not exist prior.

It is amazing how much 'incorrect' info is still out there on these cabins, that seem to have existed for some time now.

I'm confused -- were the private dining rooms moved or are being moved? Will FR still have private dining rooms? Wonder what it does to the DR capacity -- especially as I posted earlier -- First seating is "hot" in the fall/winter sailings as many folks like to eat earlier. I don't think the private DR are used as much during second seating, which is when we dine.

Seeing as they are overhauling the Azipods on the Freedom, can anyone speculate as to whether will they be doing a test run before the 28th to make sure everything is working correctly?

Someone on a Facebook group I belong to said Freedom was on the move right now. Not sure how they know this but if true, Im assuming thats what they are doing.

They can place 4 of them in each unit. They each hold 200 passengers. That means that they can hold 800 passengers each in about the area of one current life boat.

I think their greatest advantage is that they can be used in various 'list' situation and they also have a 'chute' system for disabled, the elderly and children that improve the evacuation.

Ha. The chute embarkation is for everyone, just that they have designed it to accommodate special needs better than previous chutes and slides. And if you think folks have complained that they would get seasick in a lifeboat, just try it in a raft. Been there, done that. While I assume that IMO has approved these for use, I'm not sure they are approved for all uses, especially large cruise ships for passengers. Also, class would have something to say, and would need to give approval. My worries with all chute evacuation systems is what happens in rough weather, as I doubt that these systems, even the best of them, receiving the best certification, are tested in Force 8 seas, with real people, to see if the system tears itself apart before everyone can get onboard.

I see that Portifino's has been replaced with Giovanni's Table. We enjoyed going to breakfast at Portifino's as suite guests. Does anyone know if Giovanni's will offer the same perk? Or will we have to go elsewhere....thanks !

No one will know these types of details until the ship starts sailing again.

Does anyone know if there is an exit/entrance from the new rooms on deck 12 to deck 12. It's hard to tell from the deck plans on Royal's site. I would like to assume, but wanted to see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.

If they are like Navigator, then you can enter the passenger corridors from two doors on the outside part of deck 12.

If they are like Navigator, then you can enter the passenger corridors from two doors on the outside part of deck 12.

There is no access to the passageway to these cabins from inside the ship??

Never mind, I understand your post now.

Edited by Ocean Boy

There is no access to the passageway to these cabins from inside the ship??

Never mind, I understand your post now.

Good point, my post was unclear. I should have said you could also enter the passenger corridors ...

I see that Portifino's has been replaced with Giovanni's Table. We enjoyed going to breakfast at Portifino's as suite guests. Does anyone know if Giovanni's will offer the same perk? Or will we have to go elsewhere....thanks !

We enjoyed the dinner menu at Portifino's over Giovanni's, more of a selection and the dessert menu was wonderful

We cruise the Freedom often and I was sorry not to see a Park Cafe when I checked the new deck plans. That means it will have to wait for the next dry dock. Boo hoo.

Confused as usual, forgive me :confused: isn't the cafe near Guest services where we can sit and have sandwiches, cookies and coffee the Park Cafe? :confused:

Confused as usual, forgive me :confused: isn't the cafe near Guest services where we can sit and have sandwiches, cookies and coffee the Park Cafe? :confused:

That's the Cafe Promenade and it doesn't have the roastbeef sandwiches like at the Park Cafe.

That's the Cafe Promenade and it doesn't have the roastbeef sandwiches like at the Park Cafe.

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up! CP/PC same initials, different order! ;)

Seems to me either on the Seranade or Explorer we had those delicious roast beast sandwiches :confused:

So many ships, so many choices:rolleyes:;)