Thinking of trying Princess for next cruise, thoughts?

john91498

After several cruises with Carnival, my wife wants to try another line. A co-worker of hers has been on a few Princess cruises and she likes them. So, anyone have comments, thoughts, recommendations on Princess?

Thanks in advance

Edited by john91498

Wait, you can use Carnivals past guest for discounts???

I was told this benefit was discontinued on Princess when I called to book the Caribbean Princess earlier this month. Ended up on the Conquest due to a great past guest rate + upgrade.

Edited by bgh10788

We have only been on one Princess cruise and it was not for us. Maybe it was the time of the year or just luck of the draw, but we have never been so bored in our lives.

We were not really interested in anything they had going on and although we are not young, the crowd was very, very sedate. Seemed after about 8pm every night there was not a soul around. And I wasn't interested in listening to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin around the pool or watching a 1980's Barry Manilow concert on the big screen.......:o

We sailed on the Emerald Princess just after she came out and it was one of the prettiest ships we have ever been on. The crew was great and the food was pretty good but it was not enough to make us want to go back on Princess again.

Of course that is just our situation......I'm sure yours could be quite different because a lot of people really love them.

After several cruises with Carnival, my wife wants to try another line. A co-worker of hers has been on a few Princess cruises and she likes them. So, anyone have comments, thoughts, recommendations on Princess?

Thanks in advance

After 27 cruises on Carnival we tried Princess. We now have a new favorite cruise line!! Much nicer ships, food that is equal or in many cases better, still has the elegant dining room service and far far better entertainment!!!

Using a good travel website you can often get Princess cruises for prices at or even in some cases better then Carnival. Five Princess cruises so far with another one scheduled in November. Go for it and "experience the difference".

After many, many west coast cruises on Carnival we jumped over to Princess for a few cruises.

Basic cabins--

IS and OV cabins are smaller on Princess. They have a coffee table that is just always in the way. The IS quads have the bunks on the wall. On Carnival that's not a big issue. On Princess you need to be a contortionist when the lower is a king.

When we travel in a triple well do no smaller than a mini suite on Princess

No wall hooks on Princess.

Open closet arrangement.

Showers on Carnival are larger and have handheld shower heads. On Princess you really do need to soap up the curtain and turn.

Bathroom Vanity setup is better on Carnival, except on the Fantasy class

Both have the same dispenser setup in the shower.

Good suite amenities on Princess, almost nonexistent on Carnival.

Princess Dining--

Buffet on Princess is set up in stations.

No Hot Chocolate machines

Soft Serve Ice cream is served only til 6 or 8 pm

Pizza is comparable to Carnival's new pizza

Hamburgers are replaced by BBQ at night.

Some ships have an International Cafe open 24/7

MDR-

Can make reservations for ATD

Each MDR has a specialty that's not on the menu, ask

WCMC isn't offered every night

Ship life-

No tear off on the Patters, have to take the whole thing with you

Non linear timeline for dining. It divides by location.

Shows are decent. No sing along piano bar. Don't even remember karaoke being offered.

A mellow cruise experience.

We've enjoyed our Princess cruises but miss the vibrancy (and the hot chocolate machines) on Carnival.

The Past Guest program on Princess is better in some ways. Perks start to really accumulate on your sixth cruise. Extra Credit is given for solo and booking suites.

Edited by SadieN

I was told this benefit was discontinued on Princess when I called to book the Caribbean Princess earlier this month. Ended up on the Conquest due to a great past guest rate + upgrade.

I can confirm this. BUT there is a rate that can be booked. Forget the name of it. It's not Past Guest but something else. Does take a few dollars off.

A group of us are booking a short Princess cruise and they've been able to use this other rate. Our TA found it, probably need to call about it.

Edited by SadieN

I have sailed on Princess, RCCL, Carnival, and Holland America. Each line has its' own focus. (About 14 cruises total.)

I am Platinum an Princess. Great destinations. Lots of families, a bit older crowd. Laid back pool activities. Cabins seem to be bigger than CCL. We usually get mini-suites for the 2 of us.

Holland, HAL, very similar to Princess, but still a bit older crowd. Priced similar to Princess, both are more expensive than CCL. A bit more elegant than other 2 lines.

Like all cruise lines, depends on what you like. Suggest you talk to a few travel agents that specialize in cruises, so that you can find the line that best suits you and yours. What I love about 1 line, you might not find so enjoyable. I am sailing on Carnival because my BIL is getting married on board. Would I have chosen this cruise or cruise line with out the wedding? No. But I love to cruise and am looking forward to a great time.

Hope you enjoy which ever cruise line you choose.

Princess is the best all around fit for us and our favorite cruise line. :)

Still, we cruise on Carnival and some others from time to time.

It's sometimes fun to "Sleep Around". :D

LuLu

I don't mind "sleeping around", but my wife doesn't like it...:D

After our first cruise we got a great deal on a Princess cruise and we took it. We liked it ok but we like Carnival so much more. I would do Princess again if the prices were similar but generally they aren't.

The dining room food on Princess is great, pretty seafood intensive, we were always satisfied.

But, a lot of the entertainment is just not for us on Princess. I'm not a "big band" type of person and I am not going to go to the atrium and listen to the big band before dinner. But a lot of people enjoy that. It's just not me. I find the entertainment to suit us better on Carnival and there was more for us to choose from if we weaned to attend something.

I thought the breakfast options on Carnival were better too. People complain about the eggs on carnival, but at least carnival has the Omelet station. Princess had advertised it, but not once the entire week did we ever see anyone working at it.

After many, many west coast cruises on Carnival we jumped over to Princess for a few cruises.

Basic cabins--

IS and OV cabins are smaller on Princess. They have a coffee table that is just always in the way. The IS quads have the bunks on the wall. On Carnival that's not a big issue. On Princess you need to be a contortionist when the lower is a king.

When we travel in a triple well do no smaller than a mini suite on Princess

No wall hooks on Princess.

Open closet arrangement.

Showers on Carnival are larger and have handheld shower heads. On Princess you really do need to soap up the curtain and turn.

Bathroom Vanity setup is better on Carnival, except on the Fantasy class

Both have the same dispenser setup in the shower.

Good suite amenities on Princess, almost nonexistent on Carnival.

Princess Dining--

Buffet on Princess is set up in stations.

No Hot Chocolate machines

Soft Serve Ice cream is served only til 6 or 8 pm

Pizza is comparable to Carnival's new pizza

Hamburgers are replaced by BBQ at night.

Some ships have an International Cafe open 24/7

MDR-

Can make reservations for ATD

Each MDR has a specialty that's not on the menu, ask

WCMC isn't offered every night

Ship life-

No tear off on the Patters, have to take the whole thing with you

Non linear timeline for dining. It divides by location.

Shows are decent. No sing along piano bar. Don't even remember karaoke being offered.

A mellow cruise experience.

We've enjoyed our Princess cruises but miss the vibrancy (and the hot chocolate machines) on Carnival.

The Past Guest program on Princess is better in some ways. Perks start to really accumulate on your sixth cruise. Extra Credit is given for solo and booking suites.

Its interesting to note that you could not find one thing that Princess does better than Carnival.

What about nicer ships on Princess?

What about not having to get your own beverage in the buffet?

What about the complimentary food at the coffer bar?

What about the two different pizza locations with one a complimentary table served version?

What about only five cruises to reach Platinum which among other things includes at minimum, 150 minutes of free internet?

What about the Princess version of the Piano bar that includes far better talent then Carnival?

What about live stage shows with a live orchestra?

What about the elegant dining rooms that still have tablecloths and a far more comprehensive menu than the "American Table"?

What about always having at least one pool that is heated on Princess?

I could go on but I detect you are addicted to Carnival and nothing else will meet your expectations. Bottom line in my mind, is that the "vibrancy" of Carnival is a thing of the past.

Go on one of the ships from Florida and you should have a great time. The majority of ours have been Carnival but have done 5 with Princess and have loved them. We still like to have fun and party and we have always found places on Princess to have fun!!

Its interesting to note that you could not find one thing that Princess does better than Carnival.

Obviously you didn't read my first line or the whole post.

What about nicer ships on Princess? That's a matter of opinion. On Carnival we like to sit on the interior promenade and watch the ocean go by. Carnival's ships have seating for '200' and Princess only '50' (I'm guessing on the numbers.) Passengers are less snooty (or is that know-it-all?) on Carnival.

What about not having to get your own beverage in the buffet? At times it can take a while to get on Princess.

What about the complimentary food at the coffer bar? International Cafe is in my previous post.

What about the two different pizza locations with one a complimentary table served version? Not all Princess ships have Alfredo's. The Lido Pizza was better.

What about only five cruises to reach Platinum which among other things includes at minimum, 150 minutes of free internet? Past Guest program was in my previous post, last line. On Carnival you get the next levels persk on the cruise that earns them. On Princess you get it on the cruise after you've earned them.

What about the Princess version of the Piano bar that includes far better talent then Carnival? The Princess Piano Bar is not interactive. The one's I've seen on my Princess cruises were 'lounge' shows, not interactive sing alongs.

What about live stage shows with a live orchestra? Walked out of the Princess ones, they were that bad. The orchestra was excellant.

What about the elegant dining rooms that still have tablecloths and a far more comprehensive menu than the "American Table"? Had the same excellant service on Princess as we've had on Carnival. Have been able to find things on all menus to eat. A tablecloth does not indicate 'Fine Dining' to me.

What about always having at least one pool that is heated on Princess? Didn't comment on that as I don't swim in public pools or Jacuzzis. Exception are natural hot pools.

I could go on but I detect you are addicted to Carnival and nothing else will meet your expectations. Bottom line in my mind, is that the "vibrancy" of Carnival is a thing of the past.

Answers in Blue.

No where did I say disliked Princess, I said we ENJOYED our Princess cruises. The question was "Thoughts on Princess". I interpreted that to be what's different. Those are the differences, as I see them.

FWIW, we have two Princess and two Carnival cruises booked.

Edited by SadieN

We took our first cruise with Princess last Oct for the coastal cruise. We really loved it. It was so relaxing. I did not feel rushed. The crew was awesome. I came to know the pizza guy real well, always went for lunch and snack. I really enjoyed the MUTS. They now have the chocolate creations going on. Look on their website and read about it. Look forward one day for getting to try it. :D

The only way for you to find out if it is for you is to try it. Our last cruise was on Ruby Princess, it was also our first time on Princess. While we had a good time, it is our least favorite cruise to date in comparison to CCL, NCL, and DCL and I doubt we will be sailing Princess in the near future unless I find a really good deal. I found the balcony chairs so uncomfortable that I couldn't sit out there for more than a few minutes plus I didn't like that when I looked out from my balcony I was looking down unto others like a peeper. I really enjoyed my baclony on CCL and NCL but I felt like the extra money we spent for a balcony on Princess was a complete waste. I also didn't like that the MDR was not very accomodating for couples who chose to dine alone in ATD. After 2 attempts and rolling eyes from the hostess both times we quit trying and ate in the buffet. Food is subjective but from what we tried we either really liked it or really hated it (in equal amounts). There didn't seem to be a middle ground of good. I did like the MUTS. I did not like the Karaoke. I don't know where the young people went but you can only listen to people sing "My Way" so many times and the night clubs got pretty repetitive. This cruise was in March out of Florida in the middle of Spring Break season but I rarely saw any teens or kids. The main demographic of our cruise seemed to be Snow Bird Couples from the MidWest and groups from the retirement villages in Florida with an average age range of 65-80. We did enjoy the shows, better than CCL, but not better than NCL or DCL.

Having said all that I still think that the best thing is for you to form your own opinion and decide for yourself if Princess is right for you. It is definately right for others....just not us at this time.

After about 25 cruises on Carnival did a TA on Princess in May and we loved it. Doing another one next year.

Much more elegant dining and more sophisticated entertainment including classical music and opera. Still had comedy and singers and entertainment staff had more imagination than the ones on Carnival.

I sailed on Princess once......Caribbean Princess.......and i really liked it. I would totally sail with them again, but I'm a Carnival guy and they will always be my first choice, but i have nothing bad to say about Princess. If you decide to go with Princess, have a great cruise!!