CAn HAL implement this?

jaspersmycat

Since Stein Kruse managers Seabourn too, can this from the CC News feed be implemented on HAL?

"Passengers on Seabourn no longer have to leave their awareness of the day's news behind when they head out to sea. The line has launched PressReader Offline, a customizable digital newspaper and magazine service. The service enables passengers to download full editions of more than 2,500 global newspapers and magazines to a pre-downloaded app on their personal Apple or Android mobile devices while in port or at sea without going online. Instead, Seabourn will download the requested content and store it on the ships' local network. The app will automatically sync with the ships' network and pull in the requested newspaper or magazine. Those without personal digital devices can borrow one of a small number of tablets kept onboard"

I'm not sure if it is technically relevant in terms of capability and overload, but HAL ships carry more guests/crew. Could the system handle all those more people on a Signature Class ship?

Can they do so and will they do so are two different questions. ;)

I agree. Since HAL seems to be incapable of implementing simple technology (like viewing charges or daily "On Location" on in-room TV), I'm not sure they could even implement this with help from Seabourn.

Sounds like a major expense to implement and we are guessing that the majority of HAL cruisers would not benefit from or enjoy this.:confused:

However we could certainly be wrong about both presumptions.

For the tech savvy folks among us>

Would it require a large capital investment to equip HAL ships with the technology other cruise lines seem to provide such as menus on the tv, view on board accounts, dining reservations, book excursions and the like? Is it a big deal to accomplish that?

Edited by sail7seas

While not technically very difficult to achieve, even for HAL, the set up costs and day-to-day operational costs would be quite high. I don't see this as a free service being offered to HAL passengers any time soon, if ever.

Sounds like a major expense to implement and we are guessing that the majority of HAL cruisers would not benefit from or enjoy this.:confused:

However we could certainly be wrong about both presumptions.

I'm not disputing that you might not be correct, don't get me wrong, but I'm just wondering why you think the majority of HAL cruisers would not benefit or enjoy this. My feeling is that HAL absolutely has to invest in modern technology in the cabins now. Years ago other cruiselines were making the investment in interactive tv capability. HAL has allowed itself to get left behind as the world has changed.

Would it require a large capital investment to equip HAL ships with the technology other cruise lines seem to provide such as menus on the tv, view on board accounts, dining reservations, book excursions and the like? Is it a big deal to accomplish that?

I'm no expert, but IIRC, several years ago Bruce Muzz may have answered this question with a simple answer. It would cost a couple of million dollars per ship to retrofit a system to do this.

I did experience this online TV service on Carnival, and it was verrry slow, and my onboard account was not accurate. OBC from my TA never showed on the TV version, but it did show on a printed statement from the front desk. It was quicker for me to go to the MDR to view the menu than it was to have it load on the TV.

I'd rather see enhancements to the onboard entertainment, and longer service hours in the Lido buffet.

While not technically very difficult to achieve, even for HAL, the set up costs and day-to-day operational costs would be quite high. I don't see this as a free service being offered to HAL passengers any time soon, if ever.

I'm no expert, but IIRC, several years ago Bruce Muzz may have answered this question with a simple answer. It would cost a couple of million dollars per ship to retrofit a system to do this.

I did experience this online TV service on Carnival, and it was verrry slow, and my onboard account was not accurate. OBC from my TA never showed on the TV version, but it did show on a printed statement from the front desk. It was quicker for me to go to the MDR to view the menu than it was to have it load on the TV.

I'd rather see enhancements to the onboard entertainment, and longer service hours in the Lido buffet.

Thanks.

Good information from both of you. :)

I'm not disputing that you might not be correct' date=' don't get me wrong, but I'm just wondering why you think the majority of HAL cruisers would not benefit or enjoy this. My feeling is that HAL absolutely has to invest in modern technology in the cabins now. Years ago other cruiselines were making the investment in interactive tv capability. HAL has allowed itself to get left behind as the world has changed.[/quote']

There are some cruisers, like myself, that have no issue with technology being left behind. I have never turned on my TV on a cruise. I try to leave as much "technology" as possible on my desk when I leave for vacation. No internet, no laptop, no tablet, no phone. For me, that's what makes a vacation a vacation.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Technically, it's not hard. If you are providing the hardware for everyone, it's expensive. If you have to support a system with onboard technical help, it's even more so.

I like the ability to check your account on your television. I absolutely hate television based room service. (And it's not that I'm a technophobe.

Edited by POA1

Technically, it's not hard. If you are providing the hardware for everyone, it's expensive. If you have to support a system with onboard technical help, it's even more so.

I like the ability to check your account on your television. I absolutely hate television based room service. (And it's not that I'm a technophobe.

Never having experienced it, POA, I'm curious what is the down

side to television based Room Service?

The TV in your stateroom is "one-way". In order to make it interactive, allowing you to request and receive information, would in fact run into some big bucks.

One thing that could be done with little cost would be to allow access to a web page for free (think New York Times) that would at least show the offerings in the various dinning venues for that day. That could also be shown on one of the TV channels.

Me too. I love the interactive TVs on Celebrity and always order room service for breakfast without difficulty. Perhaps different systems on different lines are less user friendly?

Since Stein Kruse managers Seabourn too, can this from the CC News feed be implemented on HAL?

"Passengers on Seabourn no longer have to leave their awareness of the day's news behind when they head out to sea. The line has launched PressReader Offline, a customizable digital newspaper and magazine service. The service enables passengers to download full editions of more than 2,500 global newspapers and magazines to a pre-downloaded app on their personal Apple or Android mobile devices while in port or at sea without going online. Instead, Seabourn will download the requested content and store it on the ships' local network. The app will automatically sync with the ships' network and pull in the requested newspaper or magazine. Those without personal digital devices can borrow one of a small number of tablets kept onboard"

I can't see this happening on Hal, maybe 20 years from now. Way to costly. As long as Hal is giving away cabins at $300. for a week, no.

I just find that one can fill out the card quite quickly compared to navigating through all the menus using the TV remote. Adding special instructions - if allowed in really tedious since there is no keyboard.

The best analogy I can use is that of setting up a recording on your DVR. (If you don't have one, I'll have to come up with another analogy.) Imagine if ordering a hamburger was like setting up a DVR recording. Actually a little more like setting up a series recording if you can specify temperatures and other options.

Some people love it.

Here's a video from the Oasis of the Seas. It's the most cutting edge system out there. Please note that no one actually orders anything in this video. They just flip through the menu system.

Me too. I love the interactive TVs on Celebrity and always order room service for breakfast without difficulty. Perhaps different systems on different lines are less user friendly?

Possibly. But in this case it's definitely me and my preference. I can order breakfast in under a minute. Not so on the interactive television.

It would definitely be costly to do newspapers, daily programs, menus, etc. for viewing on the TV, etc.

It is a rare occasion when we actually watch something on the TV other than location, how many nautical miles we have traveled, how many nautical miles to the next port, etc.

I don't want my cruise fare to go up just for something we would never use.

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver who offer an App for Mobile check-in-service and accessing other facilities within the hotel.

Also available:

.....first hotel in Canada to provide iPad2 devices with Interactive Customer Experience technology throughout all 377 guestrooms and suites allowing guests to make spa reservations, order in-room dining, access guestroom controls, and much more.....

We found it very easy and user friendly to use the technology offered to order room service, arrange for our room to be cleaned at a time convenient to us, arrange wake-up calls etc........

I'm thinking this kind of technology will become more of the norm throughout the travel industry within the next few years and adapted to be used on folks own Tablet devices.

Edited by Fontana