Size Ladies XL for tops

I am wondering why stores stock fewer choices of styles in Ladies XL tops. The smaller sizes have more offerings.

Many times, if an item is fitted and stretchy, I need the XL rather than the large, and I can't always find it in the next size. I would love to see more tops in relaxed fit not stretchy cotton, rather than polyester, which can be very uncomfortable in hot weather.

Womens' plus size is too big. Ladies XL is perfect for me.

Try Jjill. Their XL size seems to be reasonably sized for size 18s.

Also, if you are on the athletically built side, not just overweight/obese, try Athleta for their size 1x/2x. I wouldn't recommend them for the average overweight woman who wears a 1x/2x, though.

It's one thing to vent here, but have you spoken with a manager in the stores where you shop, someone who might actually be able to get you what you want? Many stores will ship items free to the store or your house if they don't have your size in the store.

If you want the best selection (of sizes, of styles) you shop early and pay full price. Pre-order online.

If you want the best deals, you shop sales and hope that you find what you want in your size. That's shopping life, no matter what you're looking for.....

Guest maddycat
I am wondering why stores stock fewer choices of styles in Ladies XL tops. The smaller sizes have more offerings.

Many times, if an item is fitted and stretchy, I need the XL rather than the large, and I can't always find it in the next size. I would love to see more tops in relaxed fit not stretchy cotton, rather than polyester, which can be very uncomfortable in hot weather.

Womens' plus size is too big. Ladies XL is perfect for me.

Try LLBean. They carry XL and have a large selection of 100% cotton tops. You can't beat their quality.

http://www.llbean.com/

Edited by maddycat

I'm 66. I'm still pretty shapely but my body has changed over the years. I have the "pot belly" that I can't get rid of, I've lost my waist, I have "side boobs" and I'm broader across the back that I used to be. For some reason, my rear is smaller than it used to be. My legs are slim. Thus, I have to buy clothes that fit my biggest part and that's a size 16. I don't want to dress like a teenager, but I'm not ready to dress like my 90-year-old mother, either.

Stores don't seem to realize that women in their 60's still want to look fashionable but can't fit into clothing made for anorexic 18-year-olds. We need looser waists, clothes broader across the back, lower armholes, etc. My Scottish ancestry makes me say "H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS TO THE NO!" am I going to pay the annual gross economy of a small third-world nation to find something that fits. So I haunt Ross, Marshalls, etc. and what do I find in size 16? Brown sack dresses, old lady clothes in hideous prints, ugly t-shirts and for some unfathomable reason, hot-pink spandex mini skirts. The stores are missing out on a demographic that has *buying power*. I've tried sewing......I don't have the "sewing gene", apparently.

I've been on a campaign for years now, complaining to managers, writing to headquarters. So far, I seem to be batting my head against a brick wall.

I'm 69. My figure is still decent, but like the previous poster, not quite in the same places as in my younger years. I do not want to dress as if I'm 90 or 16. I like to look stylish but not silly wearing things to0 young for me.

It is a continual challenge finding cute and fashionable clothes--it involves lots of trying on and a discerning eye. Sometimes I am lured to the young side by a great price or a style I like that really doesn't work.

I like a lot of the newer tees and blouses but they are often cut way too small for me as I no longer want a skin tight look. I only wear a size 8-10, depending on the brand, but in tops at least have to go to a L or even XL.

Don't stores ever notice how many smalls are left on the racks, especially in more mature styles?

I have the same problems and have said for a long time that designers and clothing manufacturers were missing a big market for the more mature bodies to be dressed stylishly. One thing they should think of is that for some of us it is the first time we could afford to indulge in designer clothing and it is too late.

I find that the big department stores are useless these days and I have started looking at smaller brands. I like some of Chico's things and I can always find something that fits there .. likewise White House Black Market (they are the same company) has some very nice dresses and tops.

The biggest improvement to my wardrobe came after I found the Soma Sensuous Sides Bra (eliminates that side-boob nicely) and they have other great styles for other problems and after I started wearing some sort of a smoother depending on what I am wearing (some clothing takes a bit more muscle than others). I sent several hours at our outlet stores this weekend and found tops in an XL and L at Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, Loft, Dress Barn and Maxstudio ... I was amazed but they were all on sale for rock bottom prices.

It is a dilemna ... for sure.

I have the same problems and have said for a long time that designers and clothing manufacturers were missing a big market for the more mature bodies to be dressed stylishly. One thing they should think of is that for some of us it is the first time we could afford to indulge in designer clothing and it is too late.

I SO agree! I have the money to buy great stuff and it seems like all those designers top their sizes out at 10. And even if they have a 12 or 14, it's sized way too small.

Edited by JanineM

I think they stock many, but it's not enough because many of us want larger sizes in the form fitted styles that are popular today. There are always a lot of size Smalls left come sale time.

I have a hard time finding smalls. Usually XL, L, and XS are what's left by the time I get there.

I'm 66. I'm still pretty shapely but my body has changed over the years. I have the "pot belly" that I can't get rid of, I've lost my waist, I have "side boobs" and I'm broader across the back that I used to be. For some reason, my rear is smaller than it used to be. My legs are slim. Thus, I have to buy clothes that fit my biggest part and that's a size 16. I don't want to dress like a teenager, but I'm not ready to dress like my 90-year-old mother, either.

If you have side boob, it's because your bras aren't the right size or style for your breasts. Get yourself fitted at a good department store.

Your rear is smaller because you haven't been giving it enough exercise. Begin walking at a brisk pace for an 30-60 minutes every day, and not only will you build muscle on your legs, but also on your rear. It will look fuller and will raise up. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to make this change--you'll start to notice the difference after about three months.

The reason for the pot belly is that you have no core muscles to keep your abs tight. You need to do exercises specific to your core--planks are a good place to start. Hold the plank for 60 seconds, take a short break, then back to the plank again for sixty seconds--repeat five times daily. Make sure you are keeping proper form--shoulders over elbows over wrists, core engaged, heels pushing back, and no arching or swaying in the shoulders and lower back--straight as a board. Of course you also need to diet to get rid of excess fat if you have any, but you can been skinny as a rail and still have a pot belly if you have no core strength.

Planks will also build bicep, tricep, and lat muscle to help prevent "turkey neck arms."

Stores don't seem to realize that women in their 60's still want to look fashionable but can't fit into clothing made for anorexic 18-year-olds. We need looser waists, clothes broader across the back, lower armholes, etc. My Scottish ancestry makes me say "H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS TO THE NO!" am I going to pay the annual gross economy of a small third-world nation to find something that fits. So I haunt Ross, Marshalls, etc. and what do I find in size 16? Brown sack dresses, old lady clothes in hideous prints, ugly t-shirts and for some unfathomable reason, hot-pink spandex mini skirts. The stores are missing out on a demographic that has *buying power*. I've tried sewing......I don't have the "sewing gene", apparently.

I've been on a campaign for years now, complaining to managers, writing to headquarters. So far, I seem to be batting my head against a brick wall.

I'm in my 50's and can wear junior sizes, although 95% of the styles are obviously far too young. I don't want misses clothing cut wide in the waist and thighs--it looks like I'm wearing a sack. I don't want low armholes, because I don't want my bra to show.

I don't find a lot at Ross and Marshalls in any size, it's not just you.

I'm in my 50's and can wear junior sizes, although 95% of the styles are obviously far too young. .

Great for your body shape, but when I was 15 and in great shape I couldn't wear "junior" sizes because they're quite narrow and I have an hourglass shape. Try being 15 with H cups, a teeny waist, and actual hips & thighs....

Sizing doesn't make sense, and there isn't any continuity across (or sometimees within) brands, so fit your largest part and tailor from there.....

Interesting point in the New Yorker article about sizing - for the most efficient use of fabric, you should be selling 2 mediums for every small & large.....

Great for your body shape, but when I was 15 and in great shape I couldn't wear "junior" sizes because they're quite narrow and I have an hourglass shape. Try being 15 with H cups, a teeny waist, and actual hips & thighs....

Sizing doesn't make sense, and there isn't any continuity across (or sometimees within) brands, so fit your largest part and tailor from there.....

Interesting point in the New Yorker article about sizing - for the most efficient use of fabric, you should be selling 2 mediums for every small & large.....

I'm hourglass as well. (35-24-35) I don't need to get my clothing tailored, but if they started to cut things so they fit like bags, I would.

I do agree that continuity in sizing is a problem, although I wear the same size in most stores that I shop in. My biggest problem is the same as the earlier poster, some things are too tight across the upper back.

Adding to my problem is that we live 2.5 hours from any major shopping. My choices are Target, Walmart, Shopko, Penney's, Herbergers, Christopher Banks, Schewsers and several teen stores.

You are a perfect candidate for on line shopping. Some stores charge no shipping if you purchase as little as $50 or $75. Once you find brands you like, you'll know the companies from which to order.

These days you can buy almost everything you could want on line.

I don't have Dillard's in the Northeast so I purchase from them on line. I like many of their tops. :)

You are a perfect candidate for on line shopping. Some stores charge no shipping if you purchase as little as $50 or $75. Once you find brands you like, you'll know the companies from which to order.

These days you can buy almost everything you could want on line.

I don't have Dillard's in the Northeast so I purchase from them on line. I like many of their tops. :)

I do shop online, just not for clothes; I don't know if I have a weird shape or what, but when doing real time shopping I usually have to try on multiple items before finding something I like that looks good, fits and is comfortable.

I've had very bad luck shopping online for clothes to the point that I don't want to return another thing. I find returns to be a pain.

Probably my own fault for being so picky about fit and comfort. I can find things that fit, but I don't like (Christopher Banks) or that I like but don't fit (many stores).

Herbergers is similar to Dillards and I do find some things there.

Great for your body shape, but when I was 15 and in great shape I couldn't wear "junior" sizes because they're quite narrow and I have an hourglass shape. Try being 15 with H cups, a teeny waist, and actual hips & thighs.......

And being hit on by guys you don't even know, because they assume if you're amply endowed, you're also easy. DD at 15, H must have been worse.

If you have side boob, it's because your bras aren't the right size or style for your breasts. Get yourself fitted at a good department store.

Your rear is smaller because you haven't been ...

The reason for the pot belly....

I think many of us KNOW what could or might make a difference in our figures, but we are what we are. Regardless of our size or level of fitness, we are all frustrated when we can't find something that fits.

I was always easy to fit & could buy any medium off the rack. Then I hit 50 and my body betrayed me. I run, I walk, I lift weights ... And I still need a large or XL depending on the cut & designer.

With all respect, if we have trouble fitting into clothes then we probably beat ourselves up. Can we just be supportive here? :)

And being hit on by guys you don't even know, because they assume if you're amply endowed, you're also easy. DD at 15, H must have been worse.

Yeah, it wasn't pleasant. 15 yr old boys are not kind. I did have a reduction at 19, though, so college was better! (I was in boarding school for high school so my "exposure" to adult males was somewhat limited so truly inappropriate hitting on was rare)

I think many of us KNOW what could or might make a difference in our figures, but we are what we are. Regardless of our size or level of fitness, we are all frustrated when we can't find something that fits.

I was always easy to fit & could buy any medium off the rack. Then I hit 50 and my body betrayed me. I run, I walk, I lift weights ... And I still need a large or XL depending on the cut & designer.

With all respect, if we have trouble fitting into clothes then we probably beat ourselves up. Can we just be supportive here? :)

Have you had your thyroid checked?

I meant no disrespect, but you'd be surprised how many people aren't wearing the right bra size and don't realize that they have a belly because they have no abdominal muscle.

Have you had your thyroid checked?

I meant no disrespect, but you'd be surprised how many people aren't wearing the right bra size and don't realize that they have a belly because they have no abdominal muscle.

I don't have a thyroid issue. I am a normal woman whose metabolism slowed considerably after hitting peri menopause. And I have a strong core ... Can do multiple reps of 60+ seconds of plank. Some women, like my mother, are blessed and their figure barely changed as they aged. Others of us work very hard but it is a struggle. So we're on the hunt for L, XL and maybe even XXL.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a belly that disgusts me but it happened almost overnight from paralysis. You lose those musclesjust from walking and nothing supports your inner organs. Then the metabalism slow down hit and if I want to lose any weight I need to starve.

Anyhoo...I used to really like Chico's and still like their tops and blouses. But I don't know what idiot is running their pants and jeans area. Anything that goes past the upper ankle is either that seriously icky feeling acetate knit used in their travelers line or shows off more of my backside that could use some padding than I want to at 55. I thought I was right in their target customer range until they came up with gold and silver lame jeans in cigarette leg style. I found 2 pairs of casual white pants at Coldwater Creek in their sale area before they went bankrupt for this winter's cruises. One pair of nice jeans that cover my butt and have a slight bootcut and a 33" inseam. The second pair are a very nice white denim trouser that with my 3/4 sleeve orange cashmere sweater a wonderful sales woman at Nordstroms found me 3 states away in a large for 2/3rds off. After CC went bankrupt and no signs of Chicos changing their styles I found a pair of very dressy brushed cotton jeans at J.Jill in their clearance online. Now to find a nice pair of black formal night worthy pants that don't require a girdle. Talbots often have nice tropic weight wool or good quality polyester crepe dress pants. I would really love to find another evening pants suit like Maggy London made over 10 years ago. Or a J Kara shell and light jacket with a bit more room around the lower hems... I don't make the womens sizes yet either. I do try to check the online sales areas year round for cruise wear and round that wardrobe out and my home closet with trips to the nearest LL Bean.