The shadow alaska one year later

harbormaster

I sailed on the Silver Shadow in June of last year, just before the inspection that resulted in low scores and concern about food safety. After following posts about the changes and status of the ship, my husband and I decided to sail her again and see for ourselves. We believe she is the best alternative for us in Alaska. Our past Silversea cruises included multiple Wind, Shadow and a Spirit cruise. We also did Regent and HAL in Alaska. We have also sailed Seabourn a number of times and love it. Silversea meets our need for all inclusive without paying for excursions we don't need, although we are Gold on Regent. So Silversea it is.

After 5 beautiful days in the Anchorage area and the Kenai Peninsula, we drove into Seward, dropped off the rental car at Hertz and arrived at the terminal at 1pm. We were the only people there and went through security, quickly checked in, and were in our suite within 10 minutes.

For those of you who want to cut to the chase,

-the ship is clean and in good condition

-the suites and bathrooms are sparkling and in good repair

-the food is much better than last year with FRESH fish and artfully presented dishes,including special orders

-the crew is fabulous with friendly, accomodating service.

Our Terrace Suite was roomy, well located and very clean. We like the Terrace suites because they are well located, have large unobstructed views and remain private. Muhammed our butler appeared to welcome us and took notes on our preferences for drinks, pillows and toiletries. We changed out the Bulgari to Ferragamo and our bottle of wine and vodka appeared shortly after. We had a bottle of Dom Perignon and a $300 s/b credit from AMEX waiting as well. There was an invitation from the chef for a galley tour, and our tickets for an excursion booked later in the week. The Pratesi linens on the bed were crisp and clean, the bathroom spotless. We had a wonderful marble lined shower with lots of room, strong hot water flow and plenty of extra towels. We unpacked, explored the ship and went up to the pool grill for a bite to eat. It was a beautiful day and Nestor and Colin took great care of us.

The Shadow is not a glitzy ship and we are glad. It is very comfortable, does not feel crowded and has lots of spaces to find a corner to read or meet friends. Painting and maintenance were going on all afternoon and the ship looks good.

We attended the safety drill, enthusiastically and forcefully done by Cruise Director Don. We changed and went to the sailaway party for a drink, and to dinner.

We had made reservations for La Terraza for the first evening and, about 5 pm a card appeared at our door confirming a 7:30 seating. The restaurant reservation system remains a bit of a mystery. We booked both La Terraza and Le Champagne on My Silversea, but onboard they are unable to find the LC booking. We put our name in again and were told we would get a reservation card by 6 pm on the day we wished to dine. That seems rather late to know if we are booked when we booked two months ago. In addition, many people who had booked La Terraza now are being told that they are full and they do not have a reservations. Then, another couple we know were told they could choose either Sunday or Monday. No one seems to know, at the desk or in the restaurants, who has reservations when. It perhaps would be better if My Silversea were an actual booking site rather than a "I want to eat there but you can tell me later" site.

In fact, when we arrived at La Terraza the first evening Maitre'd Gilbert was attempting to assist a couple who insisted they had a reservation when apparently Gilbert did not have them on the list. Unfortunately, they left saying "Crystal would never do this" and the restaurant remained half empty all evening. A change in the system would improve understanding on both sides.

However, our dinner at La Terraza was well served by Mihaela with Oscar pouring the wine. We did not care for the two selections offered, so we ordered a Cabernet Shiraz blend. The food was fresher and better than last year, the antipasto interesting, the pasta perfectly cooked. We enjoyed the dinner more than I did last year when the fish was frozen and then overcooked.

After a sound sleep we awoke to smooth seas on our way to Hubbard Glacier. I went up to get us coffee from the Panorama Lounge and Fe was efficient and friendly in fulfilling our request. In past sailings, there usually has been an assortment of pastry on the sideboard, but there is only juice and coffee on this sailing.

In our mailbox this morning was an invitation to the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle at 10:30 am in the Observation Lounge. We first went to the terrace cafe for breakfast and Head Waiter Nicholas greeted us warmly and showed us to a window table. Mark brought us turbo coffee and we helped ourselves to the buffet. The fruit selection is a bit limited with no berries but strawberries, and the papaya is a bit unripe. There have been no raspberries nor blueberries all week. But there is enough fruit to make a nice selection. The bakery items were ok, but not as abundant or in variety as last year. Any egg dish like benedict or an omelet can be cooked to order by asking the waiter. Service was attentive and we enjoyed our coffee while watching the scenery change.

We arrived at the Observation Lounge to find a sign welcoming the CC M&M. Soon our fellow CC members arrived as did Cruise Director Don Fluke and Future Cruise Consultant Selvaggia. Waiters passed trays of mimosas, champagne, bloody marys or took orders. Hors d'oevres also were offered. It was fun to meet our fellow travelers, exchange plans and discuss cruising experiences. Don and Selvaggia were very generous with their time, very engaging and we appreciate them coming to support the CC Meet and Mingle. We were able to find trivia team mates among the CCers and our team has won the first two trivia games so far.

Our afternoon at Hubbard Glacier was spectacular! Bright sunshine, crisp and cool.

After the pilot boarded, he and the Captain were out on the bridge wings directing the ship to within 2 miles of the Glacier. The Captain said it was the closest they have been able to come all summer and that they had a difficult time last cruise due to pack ice. We were so close that we were able to see the side of the glacier almost to the tip of Henke Island. The ship turned 360 degrees and everyone enjoyed the gorgoeous blue ice and bergies.

We returned to our cabin to find that Muhammed had brought a plate of sliced fresh fruit and hors d'oevres which we enjoyed while dressing.

It was formal night, which was listed as "informal, formal optional, ties not required." Figure that one out. But, most people were dressed up nicely, most men in coat and tie, with a few stragglers in jeans and a coat. We did see a family turned away because the children were in jeans and casual clothes. They returned soon, dressed up in their best.

The Captain's reception was held in the evening with the normal greetings and presenting of the staff. Captain Rutigliano introduced Hotel Director Martin Blanar, Cruise Director Don Fluke, Chief Engineer Henri Guille and Staff Captain Dariusz Grzelak. Executive Chef is Anne-Mari Cornelius.

The ship is almost full. There is a Virtuoso group of about 60 onboard. There are 36 children, most of whom have been beautifully behaved.

Dinner this evening was wonderful. We had noticed terrine of foie gras had been on the menu the night before and asked if any was available for an appetizer. Within minutes Mark presented two plates with a delicious portion of terrine. Crab timbale appetizer also was very good. My Tournedos Rossini were cooked rare as requested. John's grilled lobster tail was perfect and accompanied his rare filet mignon. All delivered with lovely sides. The chocolate hazelnut dessert was a perfect finish to a beautifully served meal. Sommelier Max graciously brought us a full bodied Italian red rather than the wine of the evening. Both our wine and water glasses were filled constantly without us having to ask.

The Artists of Silversea did an outstanding presentation of their Abba tribute. Very enjoyable.

It is nice to see the crew members happy and upbeat. In speaking with one whom we have known over the years, we were told that the crew feels more relaxed now after the issues last year. We were told conditions were better and there was less pressure.

We did notice that staffing has been cut back a bit, although it does not really affect service. In the dining room, there are less Head Waiters apparent and the waiters are serving wine as well as dinner. There are less Assistant Waiters as well, so tables are cleared a bit slower than in the past. But individual service remains great. We are being called by name by a number of crew, in the bar, our drinks of choice are brought to us without asking by Dinesh and Anronne. There are less familiar faces than in the past, new hires abound. But overall morale seems high.

After a great night's sleep we awoke to sunshine as we glided into Sitka. The day proved to be in the 70s with no hint of rain. Sitka is a wonderful city with Russian history and we hav enjoyed visiting it on our past 5 trips to Alaska. We did the rounds of our favorite artist galleries and had a great time with our friend, totem carver Thomas Joseph. There was a Seafood festival and highland games going on at the campus and we walked down there to enjoy the event. There was much cheering at the throwing of the caber. The town marathon has just concluded.

We walked back to the ship marveling at the 7 days straight of beautiful sunny weather we've enjoyed. Our team won trivia again and we all love Don Fluke's funny and enjoyable antics, particularly in the 'Name the Beatles Tune" after quiz. He is quite a hummer. A really personable and fun Cruise Director.

There are fewer activities than last year taking place on the ship. There are two destination lecturers, Dr Philip Martin and Capt Richard Hayman. But there are no dancing lessons, no bingo, and too many personal shopping talks. The shopping talks and art talks are below the quality of enrichment we would expect from Silversea. This level of onboard activity is less than enticing for a Transatlantic, but is perhaps ok for port intensive Alaska.

There was no dinner reservation card at our door for our booking at Le Champagne. John asked at the desk and they said that apparently we were not given a table. So, we listened to Willy play piano in the Bar, and Dinesh and Anronne delivered chilled drinks as we sat down. We ate in the restaurant, which was half full, and enjoyed the chef's special FRESH halibut brought aboard today. Watched a movie and went to bed.

We were arriving in Juneau as we awoke this morning. Once again sunny and warm - what luck! Fe was in the Panorama and happily helped me get takeaway coffee for us to drink while we dressed. Many of the excursions left at 7:30 am so the Terrace Cafe was not full when we arrived there. Mark quickly brought cappuchino and double espresso. Omelets were delivered fresh and hot and the fruit was more plentiful, although still without berries.

Juneau was busy with 4 big ships and 2 small ships in port. We had the best docking location. Juneau offers activities for everyone, but we always conclude our visit with a bucket of king crab legs from Tracy's Crab Shack, right on the dock. Although the same great crab is served, Tracy's has gone a bit more upscale with a large tent with tables, a store and three stalls. The place was busy and the crab was superb. We'll skip dinner tonight and have small room service plates and drinks from our stocked bar, while relaxing. In the past few days, we also have had lunch in the Restaurant with British friends we have met, and at the pool grill. Both places have been excellent with delicious properly cooked food and quick service. A definite improvement from last year.

The internet is rather a source of irritation to us. We have not bought a package or used the ship's internet due to their new system of packages which are not user friendly. One can still go on at 50 cents per minute. But now, instead of being able to buy 60 minutes of time or 120 minutes of time, one must buy a package that is for 24, 48 or 72 consecutive hours. Therefore, if I want to use 60 total minutes over 7 days, there is no package and one pays full rate. Time bought must be used within the 24 hour period for example, whether one needs that much time or not for 24 hours. Luckily we have been in ports with excellent wifi and cellular access, so no ship internet for us.

Tomorrow is Skagway and we will try to post more from there.

Edited by harbormaster

Harbormaster, glad you are enjoying an overall fine cruise! We were on the Shadow from Hong Kong to Tokyo to Seward, ending in mid May. On the Tokyo to Seward leg they began the new internet program you described and said it was a one month trial on the Shadow and Cloud. Since it is still in effect, has it become the new standard on all the ships? I'd appreciate it if you could get an answer from the authorities onboard. Thanks, and hope the rest of your cruise is terrific!

I am very disappointed to hear about the internet plans on offer.

Some of us merely want to check internet once or twice a day and perhaps download a newspaper, etc. I usually use ~ 15-20 minutes/day.

If I correctly understand the new (trial?) system, it will force one to buy an essentially unlimited plan for a day and thus encourage as much surfing as the passenger desires. After all, looking at 100 websites costs no more than looking at 3, if the plan is unlimited per day. The likely consequence (given limited bandwidth by satellite) is likely to be more sluggish internet for every one.

Sad.

Thank you for the great detailed review. It's so nice to hear that the food is back up to the quality one would hope for. I am disappointed to hear about the cutback in staffing in the MDR, but possibly the i-pad ordering system has allowed them to be just as efficient with fewer people.

I would love to hear whether the change in internet pricing is a permanent change since we will be on a TA without the option to go ashore for free wi-fi.

Thank you for the great detailed review. It's so nice to hear that the food is back up to the quality one would hope for. I am disappointed to hear about the cutback in staffing in the MDR, but possibly the i-pad ordering system has allowed them to be just as efficient with fewer people.

I would love to hear whether the change in internet pricing is a permanent change since we will be on a TA without the option to go ashore for free wi-fi.

Echoing both the sentiments above and the Internet pricing concern.

Thank you for your kind words. I apologize for the typos and bad spacing. I am working only on an ipad and even with the keyboard, I am having some issues.

But, on to your question on the internet. The assistant is only there for two hours each day from 9 to 10 and 4 to 5 so I was not able to access him yet. But, we went to the front desk to ask if the new package was now policy and we were told yes it now is in effect. She tried to explain how this would benefit us, but we told her it actually did not and in effect raised the rates. So on a transatlantic I'm afraid there is no option. It is pay as you go 50 cents per minute, 24 hour periods for $30 each and you can buy 1000 minutes for $250. We will be looking for wifi and cellular in ports as much as possible. I agree that this program could slow up the bandwidth significantly.

Internet is one thing that cruisers look for more often. Crystal and Seabourn and Regent offer us free internet time because of our time cruised. Silversea might consider a different approach if Venetian members express their opinions. We do have Verizon extended cellular here, so frankly I am using that a lot.

The ship docked early in Skagway this morning and many people were off the ship by 7 am for excursions. The day started out sunny in this beautiful rugged city, but now is overcast with slight rain. This is the only rain we have had since a week ago Saturday. Two RCCL ships and a HAL ship are in port with us today. We docked about a 15 minute walk from town and were not on excursion. Therefore we had to wait 30 minutes for the town shuttle bus to pick us up. The trip is $2 each way per person or $5 for the whole day which includes a trip to the Klondike gold area, cemetery and gardens in town. The ship only had the excursion busses, no shuttles for passengers (it may not be allowed here).

We're now back at the pool grill as I type this, with our grilled ham and cheese and steak sandwichs served ably by Arnulfo. Most people are still off the ship on the White Pass railroad excursion. We are all aboard at 2:30.

We'll have Trivia again this afternoon and are having dinner with Don Fluke this evening which should be extremely enjoyable.

I'll post more later if I can get a connection. Happy to answer any other questions.

Someone from Silversea must have read my post. There were nice pastries in the Panorama lounge with coffee at 6:30 this morning, and there were beautiful cups of fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries available with the fruit. Thank you!

Once again Mark served an excellent omelet and refreshed juice and water without being asked. Very enjoyable morning.

The Internet ( or actually the charge for it) has been my major sticking point with silversea since they changed their smoking policy for the better. Not enough to make me not cruise with them, but a major irritation to the point that if I have to choose between silversea and regent for a trip, I will pick regent. Problem is that silversea goes a bunch of places which regent doesn't-- but if that were not the case, silversea would not be getting my business.

It is pay as you go 50 cents per minute, 24 hour periods for $30 each and you can buy 1000 minutes for $250. We will be looking for wifi and cellular in ports as much as possible. I agree that this program could slow up the bandwidth significantly.

Internet is one thing that cruisers look for more often.

It is good news that 1000 minutes for $250 is still available. For a 14 day cruise, that would come out to ~$18/day for 70+ minutes/day. That would be more minutes than I would want per day. Still, it's not as bad as unlimited for $30/day.

I do hope that Silversea will be sensitive to possible degradation of service because people will "abuse" bandwidth because they are forced to buy more minutes than they want or need.

Just wonder if they are trying the system that's on the silver galapagos. Internet was included every day and you could access it with all the phones, tablets and laptops you had in your room. We liked it, wonder what the daily costs are?

We just bought 2 days for $50 , a full week was $130 BUT only one device per cabin can be connected at any time.

Edited by frequent traveler

The issue with the internet for us is that it is in 24 hour periods, not time to be used across the week. 24, 48, or 72 hours limits use just to those times. And, the computers in the computer room have been slow, although my ipad is working well and quickly. Compared to the other all-inclusives, it is not as good.

We just bought 2 days for $50 , a full week was $130 BUT only one device per cabin can be connected at any time.

Thanks for the info. Our TA was telling us SS is rolling out a new internet package. I guess this new one will also not work for us. We will need to purchase two accounts for the same room if only one device can be connected at a time.

It would be worthwhile if someone (like Wes who I know is technically savvy)!tried using a travel router to see if several devices can be used at the same time within the suite .... In hotels the router becomes the single device and the hotel system is blind to everything connected to it.

I am of course not suggesting for a moment that several suites used the same router ......

;)

It would be worthwhile if someone (like Wes who I know is technically savvy)!tried using a travel router to see if several devices can be used at the same time within the suite .... In hotels the router becomes the single device and the hotel system is blind to everything connected to it.

I am of course not suggesting for a moment that several suites used the same router ......

;)

If I had known the situation I could have brought a router but honestly that is a pain in the backside. With as many minutes as we use we find the pricing to be very reasonable, much better than the other AI lines that we sail.

Edited by zqvol

On this particular item, Seabourn is sooooo far ahead of the pack. $400 for unlimited usage for length of voyage. Incremental free internet packages up to 250 points. Beyond that, free unlimited internet. Basically, anyone with over 170 days sailed would not pay for internet.

In a post in another thread, harbormaster says that 1000 minutes for $250 is still available. I think that the Silversea plans have always provided access to only one device at a time.

Here is another instance where it would be helpful to have someone from headquarters explain precisely what is afoot. There is lots of priceless information available on these boards. These boards also contain their share of misinformation. Having a corporate voice would be very helpful. It is difficult to imagine that headquarters is not monitoring this board.

If I had known the situation I could have brought a router but honestly that is a pain in the backside. With as many minutes as we use we find the pricing to be very reasonable, much better than the other AI lines that we sail.

I looked into those travel routers and if I remember right: they need to plug into a CAT 5 port and then it will become a hot-spot, transmitting wireless for whoever to use. I think only hotels still have the ports in the room to use. On cruise ships they removed them all and only have wireless access pads around the ship.

I looked into those travel routers and if I remember right: they need to plug into a CAT 5 port and then it will become a hot-spot, transmitting wireless for whoever to use. I think only hotels still have the ports in the room to use. On cruise ships they removed them all and only have wireless access pads around the ship.

No, current models can also work as a wifi repeater. By coincidence they have a Netgear one on Amazon today for £14.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

No, current models can also work as a wifi repeater. By coincidence they have a Netgear one on Amazon today for £14.

Jeff, thanks. Will be looking at them again. Will be on the Cloud soon and need to get lots stuff (work) done while I'm on-board. The wife will also want to be on to communicate with friends and kids.