Purchasing drinks package...where on ship?

janecambridge

Please could anyone tell me where we go when we embark Emerald this week,to buy the drinks package?

Will we have to get it straight away before we purchase our first drink for sail away, or will the beer costs go straight to our account and be transferred to the package deal once we get to buy? Thank you.

Please could anyone tell me where we go when we embark Emerald this week,to buy the drinks package?

Will we have to get it straight away before we purchase our first drink for sail away, or will the beer costs go straight to our account and be transferred to the package deal once we get to buy? Thank you.

You can also pre purchase it by calling Princess. We did this and the stickers were on our cruise cards when we boarded.

Wavelet.i did do this but realised as we were being charged in pounds, we were paying £256 per package which equates to about $61 a day.so per cabin per day they were making $10 per day..we cancelled and will buy with dollars on embarkation.but thank you for the reply.:)

Thank you all.the other but was,can we have a drink before we buy the package?

I've never seen this question posted so I'm not sure what the correct answer is. However, I would "guess" that you would be charged separately for the drink in addition to your daily charge for the package. I would also think you could go to Passenger Services and get an adjustment after you buy the package

Why not buy the package when you board? It's easy to find a table where they are being sold (we bought ours in the atrium) and then you won't have to worry about getting an adjustment later.

Edited by msmoger

I prefer to buy the package on board so I can use up OBC, but wondered if they charge sales tax if still in port. Sailing on Emerald out of Houston if that matters...

No on board sales tax in Texas yet.

Edited by caribill

No on board sales tax in Texas yet.

On the question of tax, NCL cruises leaving ports in Spain and Italy I believe are required to charge vat @15% on drink. Has anyone experience of this. I am deciding whether the drinks package will be worth it as I am told the tax is not applicable if the package is paid in advance. Using the spreadsheet by Wichitastatecruiser in another forum I am about break-even, the 15% would make the difference. Buying drink on board with the 15% gratuity plus 15% vat makes it expensive drink even more expensive.

On the question of tax, NCL cruises leaving ports in Spain and Italy I believe are required to charge vat @15% on drink. Has anyone experience of this. I am deciding whether the drinks package will be worth it as I am told the tax is not applicable if the package is paid in advance. Using the spreadsheet by Wichitastatecruiser in another forum I am about break-even, the 15% would make the difference. Buying drink on board with the 15% gratuity plus 15% vat makes it expensive drink even more expensive.

Any embarkation port that has a sales tax on sales while in territorial waters will not have that tax applied once the ship has left those waters. If wanting the package if embarking in such a port, check with the cruise line to see if a beverage package will be put on your account before or after leaving those waters. If the package would be put on your account while taxes would apply, just wait a few hours to buy the package.

Wavelet.i did do this but realised as we were being charged in pounds, we were paying £256 per package which equates to about $61 a day.so per cabin per day they were making $10 per day..we cancelled and will buy with dollars on embarkation.but thank you for the reply.:)

I think you will find that the extra $10 per day that you are being charged is the 15% gratuities they add to each drink. Any time we have purchased a drinks package 15% has been added to the advertised cost.

As CCFC said, Atrium, deck 7 - but of course they might move it to deck 6 or 5 depending on the mood of the staff. You can't miss the table as it is the only one with all the alcohol on it. You cannot buy the AI package at any other table on the ship. Any drinks purchased before getting the sticker will be charged to your on board account.

Possibly too late, but you can buy it in advance via Princess in Southampton and there will be a voucher in your cabin that you take to the table to get your sticker.

The first thing I did when I got on the Emerald was buy this as I knew anything consumed after that should be a zero cost.

Check you room statement, the bottle of wine I bought on the first night didn't have the 40% off and another odd drink appeared on my (usually 10 pages long but was one page to my surprise, so much so I thought the machine was broken) statement.

Customer services took the spurious charges off, its not infallible.

Any embarkation port that has a sales tax on sales while in territorial waters will not have that tax applied once the ship has left those waters. If wanting the package if embarking in such a port, check with the cruise line to see if a beverage package will be put on your account before or after leaving those waters. If the package would be put on your account while taxes would apply, just wait a few hours to buy the package.

Thanks for your response.I can buy a package in the UK prior to sailing without paying VAT. I am trying to establish if, along with the 15% gratuity, VAT will be added to all drinks purchased if I do not take the package.The wording in the terms and conditions is vague, I quote "A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases and on cruises from/to Spain and Italy we are required to charge an additional 15% VAT." Reading it literally VAT will be charged on packages on cruises going to/from Italy and Spain. No mention of territorial waters or drinks not bought in a package. Have contacted NCL but whoever I spoke to seemed just as vague. Best information would be from someone who has sailed from these countries and can verify if VAT is added.

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port.

An Italian 22% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from an Italian port.

An Italian 22% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from an Italian port.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that all shop purchases and photo purchases and spa merchandise purchases will cost 22% more the entire cruise if the cruise starts in Rome or Venice?