Serenade of the Seas - New Orleans

I am going on the 7 night western Caribbean cruise on this ship from New Orleans in November. This will be our first RCI cruise and only our second cruise ever. I (41) will be traveling with my wife (44), our children (15 y/o girl and 13 y/o boy), and my mother (68).

Our ports are Falmouth, Jamaica, George Town, Grand Caymans, and Cozumel. We are scheduled to be at each port for about 8 hours. This will be the first time any of us have been to any of these destinations.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any information about this ship or any of the ports. I'm particularly interested in information about safety at these destinations. Jamaica and Cozumel both seem to have somewhat dubious reputations. When we travel we usually like to explore by foot but I'm a bit nervous about doing that in these places.

I would also appreciate recommendations of shore excursions. The RCI website has what i consider minimal information about them. The girls definitely want to hang out at the beach. My son and I prefer more active excursions, but nothing involving snorkeling or diving. I'm terrified of fish!

All information is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

For Jamaica check out Courtney Taylor Tours.

http://www.courtneytaylortours.com/

We used them last March to see Dunn's river falls and river rafting. Had a great time.

Many things to do in Cozumel and it is one of the ports that I have felt the safest in. Totally different than mainland Mexico. There are a few all inclusive beach resorts.

Check out he ports of call section.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Just to add to he previous post

I also like exploring but would not think of it in Jamaica.

In Cozumel my son and I ended up in the local market about 5 blocks into town off the main street. Interesting place and very friendly people with no sales pitches.

Have a great trip! We are due to be on Serenade over Christmas but have gone on Navigator out of New Orleans before. Such a great experience to be able to go down the Mississippi River.

I've been to Jamaica nearly 10 times for vacation and for a cruise stop and have nothing but great things to say about the people and the port. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want. I've stayed in the Falmouth complex and enjoyed a Red Stripe and walked around and i've also done excursions or day passes at nearby resorts.

As for Cozumel, I can't say enough about Nachi Cocom Beach Club. Look it up! For the price you can't beat it. EASY cab ride to spend the day on the beach, in the pool, or at the swim up bar! :)

I was curious about the cabs but in Cozumel it's VERY regulated and you will know the price before you get in the taxi. I'll look forward to reading your review before we depart in December!

We did not do that itinerary as it's also available from Galveston for a shorter drive. That being said we've done Cozumel twice and GC/Jamaica 3 times. While quite a few others are fans of Jamaica I am not, and having been thru the marketplace area at Falmouth once I just consider it a sea day with no wait for a treadmill and no shortage of poolside chairs. Love Georgetown, watch for the "World's Safest Crosswalk" right by the port, those people are SERIOUS that drivers stop for the pedestrians there. I enjoyed Stingray City but the tours booked thru the ship seemed very 'everyone for themselves' getting back to the ship. We threw caution to the wind last time and just went with someone holding up a sign to see Hell, Tortuga Store, and the other sights and it was infinitely more organized. Cozumel... I've got 'rock star' hair and never before or since had I been asked if I wanted to buy weed that many times in a single day. Cozumel was a bit more civilized than Falmouth, but not "I could live here' civilized like Georgetown. Got some tasty Enchiladas Verde at a place the Health Dept would have fallen down laughing at.

We were, however, very pleased with our experience aboard Serenade. We stayed pre-cruise at the Convention Center Marriott with a park-for-the-week deal and while it's away from the normal French Quarter and Bourbon Street excitement it was a clean and quiet place to stay and quite literally walking distance from the port. Lots of onshore eye candy after you're under way as it's not going to be until late at night you finally leave the Mississippi river for the Caribbean. Not sure what ship your other cruise was on abut Rita's Cantina on the Radiance was a full-menu deal and Rita's on Serenade is basically munchies to go with Margaritas. After 5 cruises I really consider Radiance class to be a "just right sized" ship, and well-designed

I was just very impressed with the New Orleans and Cruise "ensemble" but unless the lotto Gods smile on us I don't think we've got another shot at it before they go. Enjoy your trip.

I am going on the 7 night western Caribbean cruise on this ship from New Orleans in November. This will be our first RCI cruise and only our second cruise ever. I (41) will be traveling with my wife (44), our children (15 y/o girl and 13 y/o boy), and my mother (68).

Our ports are Falmouth, Jamaica, George Town, Grand Caymans, and Cozumel. We are scheduled to be at each port for about 8 hours. This will be the first time any of us have been to any of these destinations.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any information about this ship or any of the ports. I'm particularly interested in information about safety at these destinations. Jamaica and Cozumel both seem to have somewhat dubious reputations. When we travel we usually like to explore by foot but I'm a bit nervous about doing that in these places.

I would also appreciate recommendations of shore excursions. The RCI website has what i consider minimal information about them. The girls definitely want to hang out at the beach. My son and I prefer more active excursions, but nothing involving snorkeling or diving. I'm terrified of fish!

All information is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.

We did this exact cruise/itinerary in March. It was outstanding! Here is the link to my review. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have:)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=252590

We are in the "Not a fan of Jamaica" group. If we have it on our itinerary, we stay on the ship. Our first time there, we did a tour, and Dunn's River Falls is worth seeing. I suggest you check out the private tour company that you were given the link to. Have you joined the roll call for your tour yet? Be sure to do that. You can get about 10 people together for a group to get it cheaper than the ship.

All the other ports are fine. If you haven't been advised yet, stay away from Diamonds Int'l. Huge scam and there are private shops that have better quality items.

We will be on the Serenade in February, but we have been on the Radiance, her sister ship. We loved it! Perfect size.

Enjoy your cruise!

Since we've done so many cruises to these locations, we don't bother getting off the ship any more, so I'd like to talk about Serenade. We sailed on Serenade out of New Orleans in February of this year. We have sailed with RC over 50 times and the Serenade cruise was one of the best cruise experiences we have had. The crew was excellent, the ship is maintained in beautiful condition and we felt the food and service were both outstanding.

Looks like you are sailing on the Nov 22 itinerary. Keep in mind that is the first stateside cruise the same day the ship arrives after the Transatlantic. There may be a learning curve for the crew getting used to a new embarkation port and it sometimes means additional inspections are required. I also get the impression that there can be substantial crew turnover. The point is, there may be a few hiccups including short delays. Nothing too serious, just keep an open mind and keep smiling.

Looks like you are sailing on the Nov 22 itinerary. Keep in mind that is the first stateside cruise the same day the ship arrives after the Transatlantic. There may be a learning curve for the crew getting used to a new embarkation port and it sometimes means additional inspections are required. I also get the impression that there can be substantial crew turnover. The point is, there may be a few hiccups including short delays. Nothing too serious, just keep an open mind and keep smiling.

Great tip! I just learned yesterday that my cruise immediately followed a Transatlantic sailing. It didn't occur to me that it might cause delays. That's cool though. I've been through customs at ATL. Everything is downhill from there :D

I am so excited to see favorable reviews about Serenade of the Seas and this itinerary! My husband and I will be on the ship over Christmas. This is my first cruise and I am beyond excited!!

Thank you everyone for the reviews and suggestions!

You'll find lots of information on ports in the various forums. You might also want to check out North American Homeports - Gulf Coast Departures. I posted a review of New Orleans there which I hope you find informative.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615754

Wow! Amazingly detailed review. Well done, sir!

Great tip! I just learned yesterday that my cruise immediately followed a Transatlantic sailing. It didn't occur to me that it might cause delays. That's cool though. I've been through customs at ATL. Everything is downhill from there :D

I wouldn't expect anything too major -- you might not even notice, but being aware may help you get over minor bumps in the road. Certainly nothing to reschedule over.

I am so excited to see favorable reviews about Serenade of the Seas and this itinerary! My husband and I will be on the ship over Christmas. This is my first cruise and I am beyond excited!!

Thank you everyone for the reviews and suggestions!

Wow! Small world. We'll be on over Christmas as well.... and yes.... we're from Memphis!

I'm interested in hearing how the sailing goes, a group that I travel with will being the same route in dec. I have never been on a radiance class, and have been looking for pictures, but most of them are from before the refit.

I'll write a review during my trip and post it when we get home. I intended to spend a good amount of time exploring the ship. I'm not much of one for lounging.

You'll find lots of information on ports in the various forums. You might also want to check out North American Homeports - Gulf Coast Departures.

Yes - check out the forums for each destination.

Please don't listen to the "don't do Jamaica" posts:rolleyes: The island is beautiful, and there is lots to see and do. Dunns River Falls, Rafting Trips, beautiful beaches, etc etc etc. Don't listen to the naysayers. We've done land vacations on Jamaica 3 times and visited on cruises 3 times, and can't wait to go back next winter:)

Edited by bouhunter

The crew will debark first and go through immigration. Probably won't be a delay.

Coming back from Dunn's River Falls there were craft tents set up and we were accosted by pretty much all of the keepers telling us their stuff was better than the other guys. It was like walking through a gauntlet. No thanks!

And you were sad because there were no cheese curds or brats ...

Go Bears!!!

:D:D:D

On a more serious note, some people have no issue with "aggressive" sellers, carnival barkers, and the like but other people do. To each their own. ;)

We have been to Jamaica 4 times on cruises and 1 time at an all inclusive resort and I have felt very safe all 5 times. If you want a beach day there-try Resorts for a Day! In Grand Cayman you will be tendered in and the port area has lots of shops all within walking distance of port. If you are scared of fish, but your family is not-then try sting ray island on a catamaran. We have done it on seadoos and also on a catamaran. My sister in law is deathly scared of fish, but she loved seeing everyone else handling the sting rays. Mexico is my favorite port stop and been there many times on cruises and also on vactions. Never felt unsafe any visit there. The port area is very large and lots of shops to visit. We have done cooking classes, beach trip, and just shopping trips there.