Aida - in fare

Cunard - grills £8.37, britannia - £7.13

HAL - £6.20

P&O - £3.95

P&O Oz - in fare?

Princess - suites -£7.44, others - £7.13

Seabourne - in fare

I am somewhat confused as why the rates can be so different

do P&O pay the crew better than the rest? If not surely crews would prefer to be employed by any other line :confused::confused:

Dave,

In general 80 to 90% of all staff come from Goa or India. Some female staff come from the Philippines and just a few Thailand. P&O have a collage in Mumbai to train staff. This connection with Goa has gone on for generations, I think back into the 19C. That is why the staff are far less cosmopolitan than with other lines.

Most of the crew come from families with a long link to the company. As far as I know very few move over to other lines.

The crew of the ships, ie the sailors tend to come from Bangladesh. These are the guys who man the tenders and are seen painting the ship. Again they have a long connection with P&O and other British shipping lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have always left the auto-tipping on and give extra to those who deserve it.

On our last cruise and for the first time we had very poor service from our waiters in the dining room. It certainly affected our enjoyment of the cruise. We didn't turn up on the last evening because we really couldn't thank the waiters for very poor service. In spite of this, we didn't remove the auto tips because others would have suffered.

I'd be happy if P&O paid the staff more and increased the cost of cruising. It seems to work on Saga according to 'balf'.

On our next cruise we'll be seriously deciding whether to remove the auto tips and tip only those who give good service.

Regarding individual tips; whilst those who receive them may be grateful that their hard work is being directly recognised i believe that it has been stated on this forum that those tips will still enter the collective pot.

I reckon I would have to agree totally with your post.

On offering a small token of our appreciation to our cabin steward for looking after us for a fortnight, when I asked if he had to declare this extra money to any sort of higher authority, his face seemed to say it all.

Dave,

In general 80 to 90% of all staff come from Goa or India. Some female staff come from the Philippines and just a few Thailand. P&O have a collage in Mumbai to train staff. This connection with Goa has gone on for generations, I think back into the 19C. That is why the staff are far less cosmopolitan than with other lines.

Most of the crew come from families with a long link to the company. As far as I know very few move over to other lines.

The crew of the ships, ie the sailors tend to come from Bangladesh. These are the guys who man the tenders and are seen painting the ship. Again they have a long connection with P&O and other British shipping lines.

OK, but why do they get less tips :confused:

good eavning lad,s just reading your comment,s as reguard,s tipping not showing my age worked on old QUEEN MARY back in early sixties,s as commi,s waiter and 1ST class waiter for three year,s having to work seven day,s a week and twelve hour,s aday loved every hour of it OH and my wage was £37 12 /6 amonth doing 5 trip,s on 1trip of

I reckon I would have to agree totally with your post.

On offering a small token of our appreciation to our cabin steward for looking after us for a fortnight, when I asked if he had to declare this extra money to any sort of higher authority, his face seemed to say it all.

They do not have to declare any extra as long as you have left the auto tip on.

It's when the auto tip is taken off they have to hand over what they get in cash.

OK, but why do they get less tips :confused:

I suspect that they company have felt that if they increased the tips more then more stingy cruisers would not pay and it could end up with the staff getting less.

Personally I have increased my tips over the last 5/6 years because I felt they were not high enough.

It's when the auto tip is taken off they have to hand over what they get in cash.

Auto tipping was honoured. My gesture was an attempt to make matters a little more personal. There are that many differing responses I must assume nobody knows for certain.

Auto tipping was honoured. My gesture was an attempt to make matters a little more personal. There are that many differing responses I must assume nobody knows for certain.

I have read so many different opinions about tipping one thing I am sure of is that NO customer knows for certain.That is why on almost every cruise forum the argument goes on ad infinitum.:rolleyes:

dai b

Your comments: sorry cannot work out how to add a quote!!

How would they know who you have tipped? we don't just tip the cabin steward we tip waiters who we have had a good service from in the bars, MDR, buffet including the guys who clear up after us, we tipped the guy painting the ship last year which we really had to force him to take off us. We tip as and when not at the end of the cruise. I some times remove all of the auto tips, sometimes a proportion of it and sometimes leave it on it will depend on how much we have tipped as we go through the holiday, we usually allow $250 - $300 for tips when budgeting our spending money for a 2 week holiday and that's the same if we have 2 weeks in the Maldives.

dai b

Your comments: sorry cannot work out how to add a quote!!

How would they know who you have tipped? we don't just tip the cabin steward we tip waiters who we have had a good service from in the bars, MDR, buffet including the guys who clear up after us, we tipped the guy painting the ship last year which we really had to force him to take off us. We tip as and when not at the end of the cruise. I some times remove all of the auto tips, sometimes a proportion of it and sometimes leave it on it will depend on how much we have tipped as we go through the holiday, we usually allow $250 - $300 for tips when budgeting our spending money for a 2 week holiday and that's the same if we have 2 weeks in the Maldives.

Some points.

The auto tips are for the services of the cabin steward, the two waiters in the MDR and the head waiter. The latter a very small amount.

If you leave the auto tips on the company do not want to know about any other tips you give out.

If you take off the tips the company will ask the above people to hand over the tips given to them by cruisers who have done this. These tips are then put into the pot as above and shared out.

The staff have to know who has stopped the auto tip so they know who to expect tips from so it can be accounted for.

With regard to the other people you tip. The company are not concerned at all with what tips they receive as they are not involved with the auto tips pot.

The auto tips do not go to bar staff or wine waiters as they have 15% put on all bar prices. Which unlike most other companies is included in the prices we pay.

A lot of that information, especially who the auto tip goes to is to be found on the P&O web site. It is not a dark secret.

Hope that helps.

If you leave the auto tips on the company do not want to know about any other tips you give out.

If you take off the tips the company will ask the above people to hand over the tips given to them by cruisers who have done this. These tips are then put into the pot as above and shared out.

The staff have to know who has stopped the auto tip so they know who to expect tips from so it can be accounted for.

If this is true then it rather makes a joke of the tips being discretionary if they are controlled in this fashion. It also means that a customer who removes the auto-gratuity and pays the staff directly is being deceived as to where their money is going.

If this is true then it rather makes a joke of the tips being discretionary if they are controlled in this fashion. It also means that a customer who removes the auto-gratuity and pays the staff directly is being deceived as to where their money is going.

No the money goes into the pot and is shared out to the staff involved as in the list above. It is a way of making sure everyone gets a fair share and does not suffer by having a number of stingy passengers they serve. Also this is the only way you can do it if you have freedom dining.

It was the introduction of freedom dining which brought in auto tipping.

Our cruise earlier this year was on Holland America, linked with P and O to their owners Carnival. tipping was nearly double the amount paid on P and O, but I go with the flow. That's the tipping amount for that ship so that's what we pay. We always opt for freedom dining (or whatever name its given by that particular cruiseline) so gratuities are paid up front. I know we've paid, the staff know we've paid, but as we eat 80% of our meals in the buffet does that mean cruisers are looking at us thinking we are trying to get out of tipping?

Yes, I would prefer the gratuity to be added to cruisefare.(as long as the staff get it)

We are going on NCL in oct, think gratuity probably dearer on there too and the drinks!!! Now that could get me starting another thread- P and O fly cruises to the med being midweek- no good for us workers, cant afford to take three weeks off work for a two week cruise.:(

Our cruise earlier this year was on Holland America, linked with P and O to their owners Carnival. tipping was nearly double the amount paid on P and O, but I go with the flow. That's the tipping amount for that ship so that's what we pay. We always opt for freedom dining (or whatever name its given by that particular cruiseline) so gratuities are paid up front. I know we've paid, the staff know we've paid, but as we eat 80% of our meals in the buffet does that mean cruisers are looking at us thinking we are trying to get out of tipping?

Yes, I would prefer the gratuity to be added to cruisefare.(as long as the staff get it)

We are going on NCL in oct, think gratuity probably dearer on there too and the drinks!!! Now that could get me starting another thread- P and O fly cruises to the med being midweek- no good for us workers, cant afford to take three weeks off work for a two week cruise.:(

P&O will be very aware of the problem but i guess all cruise lines want weekend departures and P&O, being 'new' to the fly cruise game will have to make do with what departure dates are left.

Dai mentioned 15% added to drinks on P&O going to the waiters. Given the busy nature of a lot of the bars they will be getting over £1 per service on average, a nice little earner and possibly more than the cabin steward would expect. They do rotate the waiters around the bars so everyone gets a go at the choice ones.

P&O will be very aware of the problem but i guess all cruise lines want weekend departures and P&O, being 'new' to the fly cruise game will have to make do with what departure dates are left.

Dai mentioned 15% added to drinks on P&O going to the waiters. Given the busy nature of a lot of the bars they will be getting over £1 per service on average, a nice little earner and possibly more than the cabin steward would expect. They do rotate the waiters around the bars so everyone gets a go at the choice ones.

Hi Dave,

Yes the waiters rotate so that everyone gets a chance at a busy bar when there are more tips. That is why the bar stewards always get the wait staff to put your drinks in the system when you sit at the bar. So that they get the tip element. The bar men are on different contracts.

No the money goes into the pot and is shared out to the staff involved as in the list above. It is a way of making sure everyone gets a fair share and does not suffer by having a number of stingy passengers they serve. Also this is the only way you can do it if you have freedom dining.

No, it was the waiters going on strike in Seatle when Arcadia went to Alaska in 2011 that saw the introduction of auto tipping throughout the fleet. They were protesting about the lack of tips.

Incidentally P&O tips have increased by about 26% in the last 2 years and I can't help but think that this is to cover the people who don't tip.

No, it was the waiters going on strike in Seatle when Arcadia went to Alaska in 2011 that saw the introduction of auto tipping throughout the fleet. They were protesting about the lack of tips.

Incidentally P&O tips have increased by about 26% in the last 2 years and I can't help but think that this is to cover the people who don't tip.

Janet, that may have played a part but the real reason was freedom dining. They may have gone up recently but for the previous 10 years or so they hardly moved. Very unfair on the staff.

Edited by daiB

So if we remove our auto-tips and tip only those we think deserve it, the tips will nevertheless go to those we don't wish to tip. Can I ask how you seem to have insider information on what happens to the tips given in an envelope to the staff ? as reading several forums there seems to be several opinions.

Also it was my understanding too that auto-tips were brought in because of the strike on the Arcadia.

So if we remove our auto-tips and tip only those we think deserve it, the tips will nevertheless go to those we don't wish to tip. Can I ask how you seem to have insider information on what happens to the tips given in an envelope to the staff ? as reading several forums there seems to be several opinions.

Also it was my understanding too that auto-tips were brought in because of the strike on the Arcadia.

Generally that is my understanding through being involved in many forums and having it confirmed by people I know. Secondly the staff would have to report any tips received as they could not get double tips form you and the pot.

Can I ask you what do you mean by "we only tip those who we think deserve it"? Who do you mean. As stated above the only people to benefit from auto tips are your cabin steward and table waiters. These are the only people whom you were suggested you tip in the old system.

If anyone is on freedom dining then no one would be tipping every night so you need auto tips. If you wish to tip any other members of the crew then that is a totally different matter and has no bearing on auto tips.

Not sure what you are getting at. It is this kind of discussion which confirms my thoughts that it should be included in the cruise fare and then everyone pays.

Generally that is my understanding through being involved in many forums and having it confirmed by people I know. Secondly the staff would have to report any tips received as they could not get double tips form you and the pot.

Can I ask you what do you mean by "we only tip those who we think deserve it"? Who do you mean. As stated above the only people to benefit from auto tips are your cabin steward and table waiters. These are the only people whom you were suggested you tip in the old system.

If anyone is on freedom dining then no one would be tipping every night so you need auto tips. If you wish to tip any other members of the crew then that is a totally different matter and has no bearing on auto tips.

Not sure what you are getting at. It is this kind of discussion which confirms my thoughts that it should be included in the cruise fare and then everyone pays.

You have obviously misunderstood me. We have ALWAYS tipped and in fact have always given EXTRA tips to staff. So please don't mistake me for some tightwad. I find your last comment extremely insulting. In fact, I personally would much prefer that tips were included in the price of the cruise. In my previous post ( which you obviously didn't read) I said that we had deplorable service from our waiters in the MDR and please let me assure you (before you make the assumption), we are ALWAYS polite and friendly. We left the auto tips on but really given a choice we did not think our waiters deserved a tip. We have NEVER felt like that before. That is why I said I would prefer not to tip those who DON'T deserve it because they didn't. How dare you infer that I am someone who would withhold tips without a good reason. I may be new to this forum but I have been reading forums for a number of years now. I remember you from the old P&O forum. I don't pretend to be a fountain of knowledge regarding how tips get paid to the staff, I just wondered why you speak with such conviction on the matter.

You have obviously misunderstood me. We have ALWAYS tipped and in fact have always given EXTRA tips to staff. So please don't mistake me for some tightwad. I find your last comment extremely insulting. In fact, I personally would much prefer that tips were included in the price of the cruise. In my previous post ( which you obviously didn't read) I said that we had deplorable service from our waiters in the MDR and please let me assure you (before you make the assumption), we are ALWAYS polite and friendly. We left the auto tips on but really given a choice we did not think our waiters deserved a tip. We have NEVER felt like that before. That is why I said I would prefer not to tip those who DON'T deserve it because they didn't. How dare you infer that I am someone who would withhold tips without a good reason. I may be new to this forum but I have been reading forums for a number of years now. I remember you from the old P&O forum. I don't pretend to be a fountain of knowledge regarding how tips get paid to the staff, I just wondered why you speak with such conviction on the matter.

Sorry I meant, no insult to you at all. I did not say you withheld anything. I could not understand what you meant by giving to those who deserve it! On the thread there has been talk of giving tips to other staff.

My comments at the end were based on the thread in general and as you can see there have been a great deal of posts. I admit that I had not put you two posts together. However I was still not inferring that you with held tips.

Regarding the point about auto tipping and how it works, I picked up a great deal of information from US boards and when I have asked those in the know they have confirmed that it works in very much the same way, ie as I have described above.

I feel that this is one of those times when, if we had had this conversation face to face we would not have had the misunderstanding.

I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my intention.

Sorry I meant, no insult to you at all. I did not say you withheld anything. I could not understand what you meant by giving to those who deserve it! On the thread there has been talk of giving tips to other staff.

My comments at the end were based on the thread in general and as you can see there have been a great deal of posts. I admit that I had not put you two posts together. However I was still not inferring that you with held tips.

Regarding the point about auto tipping and how it works, I picked up a great deal of information from US boards and when I have asked those in the know they have confirmed that it works in very much the same way, ie as I have described above.

I feel that this is one of those times when, if we had had this conversation face to face we would not have had the misunderstanding.

I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my intention.

You are quite right Dai. As I said I remember you from the old P&O forum and I always thought you were a very reasonable person. I should have realised you meant no offence. I'm afraid I overreacted. So I apologise for that.

On our last Oriana cruise we kept auto tips on but gave a few people, including the cabin steward, a small tip over and above. We didn't mention it was extra.

On the morning of departure, we had breakfast, then sat quietly in our cabin for a few minutes contemplating the journey ahead.

We could not believe that the steward came in and stripped the bed around us (this was about an hour before chuck out time!). I was sitting there with bed linen round my feet. He made no comments, explanation or apology for being busy, just stripped the bed.

It did cross our minds... did he think we had taken off auto tips and just given him a small amount?

We also wondered... what if we had overslept.. would he have tipped us out on the floor?????;):)