Tipping on P&O

lostboys

as P&O state 100% of the amount is distributed i think the tipping pool just includes the staff mentioned.

I personally take "tipping pool" to mean is that the auto gratuities are collated at head office for all the ships into one big pool and then distributed to people as mentioned.

I personally take "tipping pool" to mean is that the auto gratuities are collated at head office for all the ships into one big pool and then distributed to people as mentioned.

I hope not, because if so you are auto tipping people on another ship.

P & O state this:

"100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that have looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool. "

So your auto tip only goes to your steward etc.

If someone removes the auto tips and pays the cabin steward with an envelope, how on earth would P&O know that he had been tipped. He might have got nothing?

Simple. They will use mystery shoppers (people on corporate deals). Take the autotips off, and get them to hand over a specific amount. If it is not declared, then guilty and sacked.

Or at least that is the rumour they will spread amongst the staff.

I think this thread demonstrates that we are all guilty of second guessing how P&O, and other cruise lines, deal with the disribution and management of the auto tip pool.

Truth is none of us really know, and even information from crew members is possibly suspect because they cannot trust us not to snitch to management.

However what should be accepted is that most crew members are happy with their career choice and its remuneration, the majority of which comes from tips, otherwise there would not be a waiting list for cruise jobs.

But everyone should continue to tip to at least the full auto tip amount to ensure that these hard working staff continue to be adequately rewarded.

I think this thread demonstrates that we are all guilty of second guessing how P&O, and other cruise lines, deal with the disribution and management of the auto tip pool.

Truth is none of us really know, and even information from crew members is possibly suspect because they cannot trust us not to snitch to management.

However what should be accepted is that most crew members are happy with their career choice and its remuneration, the majority of which comes from tips, otherwise there would not be a waiting list for cruise jobs.

But everyone should continue to tip to at least the full auto tip amount to ensure that these hard working staff continue to be adequately rewarded.

I agree, although there may not be much else with regard to a career choice - hence the waiting list.

'But everyone should continue to tip to at least the full auto tip amount to ensure that these hard working staff continue to be adequately rewarded.'

Couldn't agree more, heywood.

Edited by Scriv

'But everyone should continue to tip to at least the full auto tip amount to ensure that these hard working staff continue to be adequately rewarded.'

Couldn't agree more, heywood.

Likewise, on our last cruise on Oceana we were less than happy with the cabin on arrival. However it was put right and the steward tried hard (too hard to be honest) to make sure we were happy thereafter. Never any question of removing or reducing his tip.

As an aside we found the waiters at freedom dining the most helpful we have ever come across, it was more like we were accustomed to wit club dining

• 5 weeks later...
Without wanting to cause a massive lash back, why don,t P&O pay their workers a decent wage. I work very hard, in a care home, for minimum wage, I don,t expect tips to bump up my salary. As Davecttr says, tips are included in fare on Thomsons, the staff are happy with this and send money home etc, we have only cruised with Thomsons before and we always tip our cabin stewards, bar staff, waiters and the man who spent the whole 2 weeks cleaning the hand rails!! So if I appear mean, so be it, I will have auto tips removed, and will tip who I feel deserves one, I have never paid up front for good service and I am not starting now.

Completley agree with you. P&O should pay a decent wage, We are going on our first cruise in November. I have worked in the service industry in the past and have recieved tips myself. But never upfront. I will tip when I recieve good service. This is one of the points that has put me off cruising in the past. When the staff know they will be given tips regardless of service then they please themselves.

Completley agree with you. P&O should pay a decent wage, We are going on our first cruise in November. I have worked in the service industry in the past and have recieved tips myself. But never upfront. I will tip when I recieve good service. This is one of the points that has put me off cruising in the past. When the staff know they will be given tips regardless of service then they please themselves.

All my cruises have been on ships with either tips included in the fare or a auto gratuity in place. I have found the crews to be overwhelmingly professional, courteous, competent and friendly. There is no evidence that service standards reduce because of auto tips,

I'm not sure if any if you are aware, but many of the staff have more than one role. My husband (very observant by nature) drew my attention to the fact that some of the bar waiters had actually served us in the restaurants on previous nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure if any if you are aware, but many of the staff have more than one role. My husband (very observant by nature) drew my attention to the fact that some of the bar waiters had actually served us in the restaurants on previous nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're right. Your husband is observant. The crew have many many roles to fulfill. They work 7 days a week (no days off, unless they have GI); for between 10 and 12 hours a day; sometimes in one shift, mostly split between 2 shifts; for up to 9 months at a time. They may be missing home or feeling unwell; they are often in pain from walking for hours, or (even worse) standing for hours; but they have to smile and provide a tip-top service to every passenger, every day. They are constantly watching the clock, as they have other roles to fulfill and if one department/task makes them late for the next, it is no excuse.

I believe we should all cut them a little slack and (especially due to the crew demographics on P&O) drop the 'empre state of mind'. Just my opinion, but it's something I feel very strongly about.

I step on board any ship knowing full well what the 'custom' is for that particular line. If I am not keen on their policies, then I will not book with them. When in Rome etc etc...

I am happy to have the autotips added to my account and always charge my on board account with the entire amount over the holiday a few days before sailing. That way, I know that the amount is covered. In addition, I also work out what our bar spend (always manage to underestimate that one!) and our shore excursions are likely to amount to and add this to my on board account too. This way we are less likely to have any nasty surprises on the last day of the holiday.

Edited by wobblybob74

We have not cruised with P&O for a number of years but have now booked one. On this thread there is a suggestion that the auto-tip is £3.95 per person per day. Is this figure correct please for all cabin categories or are there two levels like on Cunard?

I ask because I have 2 current P&O brochures and there is much about auto-tipping but I could find no reference to the amounts involved.

Let's be honest, many passengers who remove the auto tips have no intention of paying anything. So they get a big financial advantage over all the others who don't. They are the ones who are missing from the dining room on the last night.

And I guess a fair number of passengers who do slip the envelope to the waiters and steward don't put anything near the £3.95 pd inside.

British people don't have a tipping culture, this has crept in from across the pond, and as P&O is a Carnival company!!!

I would be overjoyed to see P&O add the tip to the cruise price and pay the staff a proper wage. Saga do and I have never sailed with a happier staff.

David.

Let's be honest, many passengers who remove the auto tips have no intention of paying anything. So they get a big financial advantage over all the others who don't. They are the ones who are missing from the dining room on the last night.

And I guess a fair number of passengers who do slip the envelope to the waiters and steward don't put anything near the £3.95 pd inside.

British people don't have a tipping culture, this has crept in from across the pond, and as P&O is a Carnival company!!!

I would be overjoyed to see P&O add the tip to the cruise price and pay the staff a proper wage. Saga do and I have never sailed with a happier staff.

David.

Totally agree.

I have been on ships in the past when it seemed that a quarter of the seats in the dining room were empty on the final night. The looks on the staffs faces was not nice to see. Far better if the tips were added to the cruise price.

David.

That has to be the best option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you expected to pay additional tips above the 'auto-charge' to waiters and thus are best to avoid dinner on the final night if you choose not to for whatever reason as you would encounter dirty looks?

Should your cabin attendant be tipped extra as a courtesy (i'm aware that this is supposed to go into the shared pot) as not doing so would cause offence?

Are you expected to pay additional tips above the 'auto-charge' to waiters and thus are best to avoid dinner on the final night if you choose not to for whatever reason as you would encounter dirty looks?

Should your cabin attendant be tipped extra as a courtesy (i'm aware that this is supposed to go into the shared pot) as not doing so would cause offence?

No you do not have to pay extra to either the waiters or cabin steward. They will know if you have left the auto tips on. There will be no offence if you do not tip extra.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No probs at all leaving the auto tip on for us. I totally disagree with the comment that if the staff know they are getting the tip they don't care. Our last 3 cruises were with Thomsons with tips included in the fare and have had the most amazing service from every member of staff.

On our last cruise we deliberately booked for the Ocean Grill on our last night as a celebration of our first cruise. We will probably be doing the same on our cruise next month.

We did however definitely pay our auto-tips, it wouldn't have crossed my mind not to.

So no, not everyone is missing on the last night so that they don't pay tips.

Likewise, on our last cruise on Oceana we were less than happy with the cabin on arrival. However it was put right and the steward tried hard (too hard to be honest) to make sure we were happy thereafter. Never any question of removing or reducing his tip.

As an aside we found the waiters at freedom dining the most helpful we have ever come across, it was more like we were accustomed to wit club dining

We had a similar experience on Oceana - our cabin steward and our waiters were excellent. We left the auto-tip on, and gave them a small tip each in addition.

Contrasted with our experience on Azura, cabin steward less than useless and waiters disorganised, slow and inaccurate. On this occasion, after asking management to resolve the problems and seeing no improvement, we reluctantly adjusted the auto tip downwards.

I just checked out tipping on Carnival Corp lines

Carnival - £7.44

Costa - £6.40

Aida - in fare

Cunard - grills £8.37, britannia - £7.13

HAL - £6.20

P&O - £3.95

P&O Oz - in fare?

Princess - suites -£7.44, others - £7.13

Seabourne - in fare

I am somewhat confused as why the rates can be so different

do P&O pay the crew better than the rest? If not surely crews would prefer to be employed by any other line :confused::confused: