Using a Quad Copter to get footage onboard

I agree with the others. There are no laws against that. In fact, there are no laws against taking pictures of ANYONE without their consent (assuming they're in public, etc, etc, etc)

Ok.......I give in.

Maybe we have different laws in Uk.

I have no idea about the rules and legality of using drones on a cruise ship. However, my concern would be how confident would the operator of the drone be about landing it on a moving ship when you have to deal with the wind plus you have no idea about how all the electronics on a ship might affect the operation of a drone. If you are having a problem landing it on the ship it could be a very expensive "oops moment" if for whatever reason the drone does not land successfully - aloha drone and camera. It's doubtful that there's a drone overboard drill. Maybe it would get a great picture as the ship sails into the sunset, if someone eventually finds the camera.

I have no idea about the rules and legality of using drones on a cruise ship. However, my concern would be how confident would the operator of the drone be about landing it on a moving ship when you have to deal with the wind plus you have no idea about how all the electronics on a ship might affect the operation of a drone. If you are having a problem landing it on the ship it could be a very expensive "oops moment" if for whatever reason the drone does not land successfully - aloha drone and camera. It's doubtful that there's a drone overboard drill. Maybe it would get a great picture as the ship sails into the sunset, if someone eventually finds the camera.

That "oops moment" could be even bigger if the drone would hit and damage the Radar or satellite Equipment.:eek:

Finally managed to get photos working. These were taken last October on Allure of the Seas while at full speed in the open ocean. I do not know who was controlling the drone, but they seemed to be very good at it and had no trouble keeping it with the ship. I actually assumed it was an RCCL employee using it either for ship inspections or possibly for the DVD they sell.

DSC_0316_zps67d0a48d.jpg

DSC_0327_zpsabab1063.jpg

Edited by DerekB
corrected spelling

He was wondering if it would be a problem to bring in onboard a ship and get some footage while its leaving port, during a sea day, or of the ship while he's on land during an excursion. If allowed, he would probably only use it once or twice for a maximum of 20 minutes each time as not to be annoying. Is there an official policy regarding this?

You can get written permission from the ship's master. However, you will be limited to how the drone can be used due to environmental and safety concerns. RCI does not have an official policy regarding drone use, but its use may fall under the auspices of prohibited/non-prohibited items. Again, it is wise to be proactive and contact the ship, directly and get written permission signed by the captain.

As far as on land, many countries have not created laws/restrictions. The FAA and the National Park Service in the States have restricted drone use.

On a more personal note, having worked with professional drones I advise amateurs to be extremely careful... especially anywhere near water and/or crowds. Drones have a peculiar tendency to crash land in water, and several people have taken it upon them self to play... let's say... air traffic control...

• 2 months later...

Looks like RCI has updated their website and now lists drones as a prohibited item.

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Imagine if 40 people brought drones on the ship and decided to fly them on the ship, maybe all at the same time.

Last week there was an incident in England with a drone flying near an airliner while on approach to landing.

http://www.itproportal.com/2014/10/27/drone-in-hair-raising-airliner-near-miss-over-southend-airport/

And here's another close call in the USA:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/travel/unmanned-drone-danger/

While I am not a fan of expanding government, as a pilot, I feel that in the USA at least, the FAA needs to get involved, and drones and their operators be licensed and regulated.

You know, it might just be a matter of time when a drone is equipped not with a Go Pro camera but a small amount of plastic explosive and a cell phone detonator and flown into a stadium or other crowd.

Imagine such a rig, flown from land, and flown into a ship leaving port, perhaps at the bridge.

Sorry, but I do not think I am far off base with my thinking here.

It looks like the RCI question has been answered. As for in ports, even if you got it on the boat, took it on shore and flew it. All it takes is some local cop or official to decide he doesn't like it(or wants it himself) and they could confiscate it for investigation and you'd probably never see it again. Whether they could legally do it or not, by the time you could prove it one way or another, you would need to be back on the ship and gone. RCI certainly isn't going to step up and get it back for you, and no one local is going to side with the foreigner versus a local official. It definitely isn't worth the risk.

It looks like the RCI question has been answered. As for in ports, even if you got it on the boat, took it on shore and flew it. All it takes is some local cop or official to decide he doesn't like it(or wants it himself) and they could confiscate it for investigation and you'd probably never see it again. Whether they could legally do it or not, by the time you could prove it one way or another, you would need to be back on the ship and gone. RCI certainly isn't going to step up and get it back for you, and no one local is going to side with the foreigner versus a local official. It definitely isn't worth the risk.

Agreed!

Imagine if 40 people brought drones on the ship and decided to fly them on the ship, maybe all at the same time.

Crank Ride of the Valkyries over the PA, get Rober Duvall up on deck... man that would be awesome. But the nofunicks at RCI probably woulnd't like it.

Here is someone in FLL pretty far away launched their quadcopter and flew over Lady O!

As innocent as it was, it shows how hard it is to provide security in this day and age expanding on Lou thought!

I guess no fly zones need to be instituted. Good luck getting our government to do anything.

Good luck getting our government to do anything.

No, this is right up their alley. Taking away our freedom. They love laws, makes it look like they are doing something. Much easier making stupid laws then enforcing laws that actually protect us.

Don't have a drone. But I think they are pretty neat. Feel free to fly past my condo and zoom in on the windows. Just remember, what is seen may never be unseen.:D Yoga in the buff.....

Edited by Tutankhamen

As noted before, this has been answered for RCI, but Carnival has updated their prohibited list to allow drones to be brought onboard, but not to be operated onboard. And given the Bahamas' policy of shaking down tourists for minor pot violations, and other made up crimes, I'm sure they will be quick on the trigger to start jailing cruisers for using a quadcopter.

This technology is increasingly becoming both cheaper and continues to grow capabilities such as auto hover and flying to routes based on GPS without manual control. I suspect over time, the answer will be similar to car insurance. Users will have to have insurance to fly legally. Won't stop all all bad actors but will make it manageable.

Just what I'm hoping for, to see a drone in my view of a sunset.:rolleyes:

Somewhat similar to 30 lit up Ipads and phone screens popped up in the dark theater in front of me.

You must have been in he same Cats showing behind the segregated elite rows where there were no less the five cameras filming most of the show.

The libertarian side of me says make no laws restricting use as long as I'm immune from prosecution for shooting them down if they enter my home's air space. ;)

So, do you shoot at airplanes when they fly over your home' air space? Are satellites safe or do they need to go too?

Every time I hear something like this I think of this:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/conn-woman-arrested-assaulting-teenager-flying-drone/story?id=24076891

Edited by tanzer22pilot

So, do you shoot at airplanes when they fly over your home' air space? Are satellites safe or do they need to go too?

Every time I hear something like this I think of this:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/conn-woman-arrested-assaulting-teenager-flying-drone/story?id=24076891

Legally, airplanes cannot flight at such an altitude and the satellite I can't see or hear. Ironically, I live in a the flight path of a small state airport and it doesn't bother me at all. Someone buzzing my house with a camera mounted drone deserves what ever projectile comes the drones way.

Legally, airplanes cannot flight at such an altitude and the satellite I can't see or hear. Ironically, I live in a the flight path of a small state airport and it doesn't bother me at all. Someone buzzing my house with a camera mounted drone deserves what ever projectile comes the drones way.

You do that and you may not be cruising for awhile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/10/02/man-arrested-for-shooting-down-a-neighbors-drone/