Celebrity Millennium Sailings Affected - 9/11/15, 9/27/15, 10/11/15

Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity, I AM FURIOUS!!!!!

I don't have a problem with the ship being chartered, but why are UK clients not being afforded the same customer care as USA clients.

I contacted my TA on Saturday about this and he was told by Celebrity that it would be Monday before we could do anything.

After several phone calls from him to Celebrity this morning he has been told that the reservations team will not allow them to actually do anything until the options are confirmed and finalised their end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY CELEBRITY, WHY??????

After I posted this, I emailed Michael Bayley and was most surprised to recieve a phone call from a lady called Shirley in his office.

We spoke at length about the fact that UK clients were unable to transfer bookings etc, she explained that UK legalities were different and this issue had to be addressed first. I also pointed out that this cruise had been taken off the website three weeks ago, and it was the lack of information that was so frustrating.

Shirley contacted the Uk office to keep an eye on the situation and I was delighted to recieve another call from her this afternoon to say that the options had been sorted and we were to get the same offer as USA clients, a transfer of booking at no extra charge, retaining offers and $300 OBC.

Shirley did acknowledge that the issue had not been handled in the best way and hopefully,they have learnt from this.

Just asking a question here. But do any UK customers who cancel outright due to the canceled cruise actually forfeit their deposits? I realize normally when they cancel for customer reasons they do, but if the line cancels the cruise, can the line actually also keep the deposit as some have suggested?

I would agree that that is an issue of so, from reading here I think there has been supposition on that matter, but haven't been able to confirm that is in fact the case.

Hi Curt,

you are correct in that we have much more stringent consumer law here in Uk, which is why it has taken Celebrity UK until this afternoon to release options for us here .

If we cancel, we are breaking the contract and do not get the deposit returned, but, in this case, Celebrity are breaking the contract, so the deposit is refundable.

Anne

Hi Curt,

you are correct in that we have much more stringent consumer law here in Uk, which is why it has taken Celebrity UK until this afternoon to release options for us here .

If we cancel, we are breaking the contract and do not get the deposit returned, but, in this case, Celebrity are breaking the contract, so the deposit is refundable.

Anne

The same here in Germany

Has anyone been able to determine what group(s) has chartered these?

Any chance one can join the charter group and sail still? Obviously it'd be a new booking thrum the grow at the group rates but curious pif anyone knows the nature of the charter.

Like Atlantis, of one wanted, you could join up. Or there are some music themed charters anyone can join onto. But others may be reserved in full for a special corporate event and therefore find it fully private.

I've posted this question on the roll call as well because I still don't have a clear statement about how re-bookings are handled. I do know that I can choose one of the alternative cruises offered and transfer my booking without losing anything and getting 300 OBC on top ( 500 for suites). I can cancel at no charge and will get my deposit back. But what happens when you are interested in re-booking ANOTHER cruise - be it to Alaska, Hawaii, the Med or whatever? We'll keep the 300 $ compensation and have to pay the prevailing price ( which is almost always more than a few months ago :mad:) - but what about the extras or promos you had been offered? Can you keep those as well? Anybody who has been in the same situation and can tell us what happened when they re-booked? Any official statement? Our travel agency has contacted Celebrity but hasn't got a reaction, as yet. And I'll have to re-book or cancel in the next 48 hours... Getting quite fed up with the situation...

I've posted this question on the roll call as well because I still don't have a clear statement about how re-bookings are handled. I do know that I can choose one of the alternative cruises offered and transfer my booking without losing anything and getting 300 OBC on top ( 500 for suites). I can cancel at no charge and will get my deposit back. But what happens when you are interested in re-booking ANOTHER cruise - be it to Alaska, Hawaii, the Med or whatever? We'll keep the 300 $ compensation and have to pay the prevailing price ( which is almost always more than a few months ago :mad:) - but what about the extras or promos you had been offered? Can you keep those as well? Anybody who has been in the same situation and can tell us what happened when they re-booked? Any official statement? Our travel agency has contacted Celebrity but hasn't got a reaction, as yet. And I'll have to re-book or cancel in the next 48 hours... Getting quite fed up with the situation...

I just rebooked a cruise for March 2016 that was chartered. I did not book one of the "alternate" cruises, as they didn't fit with my work schedule. I booked another cruise entirely. We were able to keep all of our existing credits and perks as well as adding on the suite bonus offered to those affected. So in short, whatever you have (aside from fare), should remain the same if you book another cruise.

I just did this yesterday.

Hope that helps.

Shawn

At this time the 123 is in effect, so perks are standard on bookings at this point in time. Do you have any specific perks from Celebrity you are concerned about that are not 1-2-3 related?

At this time the 123 is in effect, so perks are standard on bookings at this point in time. Do you have any specific perks from Celebrity you are concerned about that are not 1-2-3 related?

350$ OBC because of booking onboard - it's not much but it helps to alleviate the hurt...

350$ OBC because of booking onboard - it's not much but it helps to alleviate the hurt...

That's a very good and pointed issue. Perhaps the X rep can comment.

My research shoes that generally when changing a reservation that was "booked on board" for a specific sailing (and not an open passage or whatever it is called today) people are told they have to cancel then rebook, losing their BOB perks and replacing with whatever perks are presently on offer. There are posts saying that a few have been successful in keeping them after some back and forth.

It certainly would be proper for X to honor Book on Board perks if they book another sailing due to this cancellation.

Celebrity Representative, - can you comment?

Generally, perks remain with the original booking number, so the best strategy is to retain that number and transfer the booking.

Hope it works out OK for all affected.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Generally, perks remain with the original booking number, so the best strategy is to retain that number and transfer the booking.

l

This is true, but from what I've read the special "Book on Board" reservations where you select a specific sailing are not "changeable" otherwise people would book those instead of the "open passage" ones that are changeable (and come with reduced OBC offers due to their flexibility) so they get better perks.

This is true, but from what I've read the special "Book on Board" reservations where you select a specific sailing are not "changeable" otherwise people would book those instead of the "open passage" ones that are changeable (and come with reduced OBC offers due to their flexibility) so they get better perks.

When a booked cruise is cancelled or chartered, there are different rules. It was not my decision to book a different cruise. X left me no choice. That's when you get to keep your perks and credits from having booked on board.

Thank you all for your answers - I'll try to reach a supervisor tomorrow to hand in my claim for my "consolation prize" again. As I said: The extra money is not really much compared to what I lose: one of the best balcony cabins on the ship on a cruise I tried to book twice now in exchange to a mediocre lower class cabin that costs more money for a cruise I didn't want to book at this time of year. Well - that's the way the cookie crumbles ! And there's always the chance of an upgrade fairy flying to my rescue...

And I STILL love the product - the ships, the crews, the atmosphere and listening to the sea from a (hopefully) quiet spot...

Has anyone been able to determine what group(s) has chartered these?

Any chance one can join the charter group and sail still? Obviously it'd be a new booking thrum the grow at the group rates but curious pif anyone knows the nature of the charter.

Like Atlantis, of one wanted, you could join up. Or there are some music themed charters anyone can join onto. But others may be reserved in full for a special corporate event and therefore find it fully private.

I do not know who has taken the charter in this case but I believe that it was reported at the time that our 2014 transpacific was cancelled and morphed into a different cruise chartered by National Geographic.

I am not sure what "extras and promos" you are referring to. We had various OBCs attached to our cruise which we were promised we could keep in addition to the compensation OBC but it then took a fight of about 10 months to actually get them all applied. During that time, no one actually said that we could not have them but I must have sent the documentary proof at least 6 times and it was only the final time, when I sent everything by snail-mail, when anything happened. I doubt that I would have had the energy to achieve what I did if it was not for the combination of the value and the principle involved.

I do not think that you are referring to purchased extras but ours, specialty dining in our case, were refunded at the start by Celebrity.

I am not sure what "extras and promos" you are referring to. We had various OBCs attached to our cruise which we were promised we could keep in addition to the compensation OBC but it then took a fight of about 10 months to actually get them all applied. During that time, no one actually said that we could not have them but I must have sent the documentary proof at least 6 times and it was only the final time, when I sent everything by snail-mail, when anything happened. I doubt that I would have had the energy to achieve what I did if it was not for the combination of the value and the principle involved.

I do not think that you are referring to purchased extras but ours, specialty dining in our case, were refunded at the start by Celebrity.

As you say: it has become a matter of principle. I'm on the brink of cancelling without re-booking ANYTHING , leaving Celebrity Cruises for a few years and looking at what other lines have to offer. Perhaps I'll slink back after a while, perhaps I won't, depends on what I will find, if the grass is really greener or as green elsewhere. As we cruise 3-4 times a year the 350 $ OBC ( for booking onboard) we're talking about is a tiny amount compared to what we used to spend these last years - and we had a lot of fun giving it to Celebrity Cruises for something we came to love. But it really is a pity that such a good product is getting tainted by the way things are handled by a disinterested customer service. To keep a single , if loyal customer, happy is obviously not worth the trouble. I'll start a last effort today to obtain the necessary information and confirmation.

Actual cruises booked on board ARE "changeable" and allow perks to be retained. What wvufan stated is correct. The perks remain with the original booking number. Have done this with no problems whatsoever.

Actual cruises booked on board ARE "changeable" and allow perks to be retained. What wvufan stated is correct. The perks remain with the original booking number. Have done this with no problems whatsoever.

So why would anyone ever book the open passage with its lower OBC, versus booking outright and changing it over and over again....?

Actually, having read the T&C's it seems they don't say anything about losing perks for canceling in fact say that reserved are changeable.... So I really do wonder now, why would anyone book an open passage versus booking and changing....? Extra $300 OBC and can add 1 other promotion to it...and applicable to group sailings....

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/13033187_CEL_Onboard_Passages_Form.pdf

So why would anyone ever book the open passage with its lower OBC, versus booking outright and changing it over and over again....?

Actually, having read the T&C's it seems they don't say anything about losing perks for canceling in fact say that reserved are changeable.... So I really do wonder now, why would anyone book an open passage versus booking and changing....? Extra $300 OBC and can add 1 other promotion to it...and applicable to group sailings....

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/13033187_CEL_Onboard_Passages_Form.pdf

I agree. Under their new rules, it makes no sense to book an open passage.

Thanks richsea and Cle-Guy. You are absolutely correct. The best benefit to our guests is to book a Cruise Now reservation where you choose a specific ship and sail date. This is where you can get up to $500 OBC and another benefit from 123go!

The reservations are flexible, meaning, you can change the ship and sail date and the onboard benefits go with you to that new ship and sail date. Your reservation will go to prevailing rate as you are electing a different vacation experience. And your onboard benefits will adjust with the new ship and sail date that you have chosen. But the truth is, that your onboard benefits will go with you. They may not be exactly the same as they are dependent upon voyage length, stateroom category, and destination. However, your benefits do go with you.

Cruise Later (Formerly Open Passage) is now our "Gift Program". For only $100 you can give the gift of travel to a friend or family member complete with a gift voucher. These are great for special occasions and holidays. Why give an every day gift card when you can give a Cruise Vacation with benefits? They will get up to $200 onboard credit and the ability to combine with another offer available on land.

The real benefits are with the Cruise Now reservation for you, and then give the gift of travel with a Cruise Later to someone else. So for everyone who has booked onboard and for whatever reason needs to change their ship and sail date, YOU CAN DO THAT all the way up to 90/75 days prior to sailing and your onboard benefits will go with you.

You need to qualify that statement because of the footnote on the terms of the 123Go offer. "To qualify for the 123go Shipboard Offer, the following requirements must be satisfied. . . .excludes Xpedition, Transatlantics and Transpacific cruises...." As an elite plus, I have done almost all Celebrity itineraries so, being unable to find a replacement cruise, I opted for a transatlantic (can take a land vacation in Europe) and will, thus, lose my perks. I'll get the $300 plus a negligible amount my TA is offering. I did want Japan and so have deposited for a Princess sailing on 8/19/15 despite the weather at that time of year. Now I have the headache of trying to have my already paid for travel insurance (for the chartered cruise) transferred to the Princess sailing.

Someone said that the charter did not cause any out of pocket loss, but, of course, this overlooked the fact that to cover pre-existing conditions, insurance had to be purchased almost immediately after making a first cruise deposit. Also, with the travel agency I use, cancelling a cruise w/o re-booking means a $100 per person fee (to avoid the fee is why I booked the transatlantic).

Agree there are a number of circumstances in which people may be out of pocket directly or indirectly so blanket no one statements are not entirely helpful just now for those impacted

Thirteen months out is also an issue where you have worked the cruise around other plans that might involve flights etc some of which could now be booked.

It looks like as others have said that booking for the Far East is a massive lottery given the propensity to take on charters in that area.

I still believe the cruiseline should accept NO charters after a ship has been placed on general sale. Yes I know all the economics Orator and Cle Guy but I also know about customer trust. I have no issues with charters so long as they are determined ahead of publication of schedules.

I feel really sorry for those about to have to replan their trips next year. Been there, it is an awful feeling. We had pencilled in one of these trips and had provisionally scheduled business trips in China round them. Funny the Chinese do not do change when they are calling the shots so I expect the business trips will go ahead and we will be scratching around for a holiday option (no I do not want to join the charter with 2000 locals :) )

How far out can you book flights in Scotland?