Celebrity Millennium Sailings Affected - 9/11/15, 9/27/15, 10/11/15

Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

Please be advised that two Celebrity Millennium 14-Night Japan cruises sailing on September 27, 2015 and October 11, 2015 have been chartered. Due to these chartered sailings, the 15-Night Japan Jubilee cruise sailing September 11, 2015 has been slightly altered and will now end in Shanghai (Baoshan). As a result of these changes, all guests who are currently booked on the chartered sailings will need to be moved.

Re-book on select Celebrity sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate.

Receive $300 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $500 onboard credit for suites when you re-book any Celebrity sailing.

A special help desk has been established to assist. The desk opened on Friday, August 8, 2014 and will remain open until Friday, August 22, 2014.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48846

For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48923

For Consumer Outreach: 1-866-521-7245 ext. 18881

Edited by Celebrity Cruises

Dear Celebrity,

After having my second Japan cruise with Celebrity cancelled, I am not very happy. I called the Individual Reservations number you provided and noone there knows anything about what you posted. We are still out to lunch.

Can you provide more details on the Transpacific itinerary, PLEASE.

Hi Celebrity Cruises

I just called the number you posted and they do not have a list of the "select Celebrity sailings" yet. Could you please post them when available?

Thank you

Hello there,

Please see below:

Select Celebrity Sailings:

Celebrity Millennium: December 7, 2014; October 25, 2015; November 8, 2015; December 6, 2015; January 17, 2016

Celebrity Solstice: November 2, 2015; November 14, 2015

Dear Celebrity,

After having my second Japan cruise with Celebrity cancelled, I am not very happy. I called the Individual Reservations number you provided and noone there knows anything about what you posted. We are still out to lunch.

Can you provide more details on the Transpacific itinerary, PLEASE.

Hello there,

Please find the updated itinerary below:

revised.jpg.a888f9172c258155972f6fdfdeda90ca.jpg

Hello there,

Please see below:

Celebrity Millennium: December 7, 2014; October 25, 2015; November 8, 2015; December 6, 2015; January 17, 2016

Those Celebrity Solstice cruises are Sydney to Auckland and Auckland to Sydney going around NZ. Long way from Japan. :D

Hello there,

Please see below:

I, personally as an Elite member, DO NOT thank you. You have dodged everyone's queries on this for weeks. Although you are simply a mouthpiece for the C suite, I hope you feel a least some morsel of guilt for this mess. Celebrity has now proven that it cannot be trusted AT ALL. I am in charge of a group which has booked the entire Reflection suite area on another 2015 cruise, spending over $100,000. We will be canceling. SHAME!!

Celebrity, this is an extremely unprofessional way to handle cruises being cancelled. I realize you are only interested in your profit margin, but you could show some consideration to those booked on these sailings. It seems to me like Celebrity is trying to relinquish responsibility with these posts which do not have any contact name.

Is one of the options for those of us whose cruise was cancelled to transfer to the Transpacific cruise leaving Vancouver on Sept 11, 2015? This was not listed on your "select" options which are very narrow. Do we lose the 123 promo we had as well as onboard credit? Do we now have to pay a higher price? Please let your agents at the numbers you listed know the answers to these questions when we call. It is the least you could do.

I, personally as an Elite member, DO NOT thank you. You have dodged everyone's queries on this for weeks. Although you are simply a mouthpiece for the C suite, I hope you feel a least some morsel of guilt for this mess. Celebrity has now proven that it cannot be trusted AT ALL. I am in charge of a group which has booked the entire Reflection suite area on another 2015 cruise, spending over $100,000. We will be canceling. SHAME!!

I little bit vitriolic I'd say.

No one is out any money on this, cruise is 13+ months away - airfares nor hotels can be booked for another month and a half, plenty of time to find options on the table for choosing.

Charters happen, they can't become official until the organizations chartering actually signs a contract and pays the appropriate deposits. It's not "dodging" anything, its waiting until there is something factual to present, not a possibility or a what-if or a maybe, probably, but not really sure.

That you thought something was up for months, is enough to know something is up...and no more information than was possible to let out until today.

All lines charter, not just X, so canceling with X and booking another line, you have the exact same chance of a charter happening there too, but of course do as you feel appropriate.

What cruise are you giving up the Reflection wing on, it would be a good one for some of us to look into, likely they would put those rooms on sale with such a large bulk cancellation....enquiring minds want to know! And be sure to avoid booking on RCI and AZ, otherwise you aren't doing anything to take money from the company, even though in reality your 10 canceled cabins will likely be booked anyhow by someone else...

Edited by cle-guy

No one is out any money on this, cruise is 13+ months away - airfares nor hotels can be booked for another month and a half, plenty of time to find options on the table for choosing.

Charters happen, they can't become official until the organizations chartering actually signs a contract and pays the appropriate deposits. It's not "dodging" anything, its waiting until there is something factual to present, not a possibility or a what-if or a maybe, probably, but not really sure.

That you thought something was up for months, is enough to know something is up...and no more information than was possible to let out until today.

All lines charter, not just X, so canceling with X and booking another line, you have the exact same chance of a charter happening there too, but of course do as you feel appropriate.

What cruise are you giving up the Reflection wing on, it would be a good one for some of us to look into, likely they would put those rooms on sale with such a large bulk cancellation....enquiring minds want to know! And be sure to avoid booking on RCI and AZ, otherwise you aren't doing anything to take money from the company, even though in reality your 10 canceled cabins will likely be booked anyhow by someone else...

I most certainly understand the feelings of anger and disappointment of those affected. For some of those in a group this might have been the only date where they could all cruise together. But, Cle-guy is correct.Celebrity will sell those cabins and probably at a higher price since there was most likely a very attractive group rate for these prime cabins. Personally I don't know if I'd like to be on Reflection with a group holding all those cabins and perhaps overwhelming Michael's Club if they decided to go as a group. Do as you wish, but try not to allow anger to influence sound judgment.

Cle-guy,

I have read many of your thoughtful posts and respect your opinion.

Still, I understand killineybay's anger.

You make plans, and do it early, then get punished for that.

Sure, we can get our deposit back. Yes, we can book another cruise. However, Celebrity narrows our choices so that we couldn't even transfer to the transpacific.

Celebrity has not handled this very well.

1) This is the second and third Around Japan cruises that have been cancelled, leaving NONE for 2015. It is too early to book for the unknown cruises in 2016, and even if we could, I might be concerned that Celebrity would cancel that Japan cruise once more. We booked the first Century Around Japan for April 2015, which was cancelled due to the sale of the ship. Fine, we found a second choice, then booked the 27 Sept as soon as it was released. Now we are punished again for planning early.

2) killineybay's booking was quite large and quite a commitment. I understand his anger. I understand why he expected more from Celebrity. Why didn't Celebrity just say it was considering a charter? Instead, it kept us in the dark, adding to the anger.

3) Also, Celebrity need's to consider that instead of chartering both Japan cruises for a group, it abandoned its customers, eliminating any Around Japan cruises for the entire year. I am sure both cruises would have sold out, without a charter.

4) Celebrity could have handled the cancellations more professionally. It's first post implied that we could transfer to any cruise. Now, we are told only a handful. Further, after calling the phone number listed on the first post, I reached a nice young lady that knew NOTHING about this cancellation. She works in the resolutions department, designed for assisting people like killineybay and myself. I discovered this evening that I needed to call back on Monday and that perhaps someone could help me.

Also, we have a deadline to decide on our option, August 22.

5) I do notice that one of the options to transfer my booking is the October 25 cruise that starts in Tokyo and ends in Hong Kong. However, that cruise ports is Shanghai, which requires a Chinese visa. Last time I visited China, it cost me $200 pp for visa. If I take this cruise, I would have to pay even more than the $300 OBC offered. Still, it might be a good cruise, despite the fact that the price is significantly higher than what I booked on the 27 Sept cruise. Also, it visits only three Japanese ports.

In summary, I suggest that you open up more cruise options for those that have loyally booked these Japan cruises early. Also, could you please inform your resolutions department how to handle our bookings prior to Monday morning.

Finally, if we decided to wait for another Around Japan cruise in 2016, please don't cancel that cruise. Three times would be a strike out. After that, we might have to consider Princess.

a few years ago, same thing happened to me on Holland America line...they cancelled an April sailing which had a lot of Japanese ports, although not exclusively around Japan - it was chartered. the transPacific crossing which followed was still open for bookings.

I had been booked on both segments as a Collector's cruise.

In that case, I was advised of the cancellation BEFORE IT WAS PULLED from the website... Not like today, when I searched for my cruise ( I had booked the Oct 11 sailing 5 days ago! ) and found it missing:eek:

In addition, I was also awarded $300 OBC on ANY future cruise, not just on 5 or 6 select cruises. All my previous OBC was transferable along with any other programs/offers applicable.. I hope my 123GO offer and reduced deposit still applies should I choose one of Celebrity's limited offerings.

Why the OBC is restricted to a handful of cruises, I have no idea. It would have been a nice gesture to just offer it to any future sailing -

Carol

Cle-guy,

I have read many of your thoughtful posts and respect your opinion.

Still, I understand killineybay's anger.

You make plans, and do it early, then get punished for that.

Sure, we can get our deposit back. Yes, we can book another cruise. However, Celebrity narrows our choices so that we couldn't even transfer to the transpacific.

Celebrity has not handled this very well.

1) This is the second and third Around Japan cruises that have been cancelled, leaving NONE for 2015. It is too early to book for the unknown cruises in 2016, and even if we could, I might be concerned that Celebrity would cancel that Japan cruise once more. We booked the first Century Around Japan for April 2015, which was cancelled due to the sale of the ship. Fine, we found a second choice, then booked the 27 Sept as soon as it was released. Now we are punished again for planning early.

2) killineybay's booking was quite large and quite a commitment. I understand his anger. I understand why he expected more from Celebrity. Why didn't Celebrity just say it was considering a charter? Instead, it kept us in the dark, adding to the anger.

3) Also, Celebrity need's to consider that instead of chartering both Japan cruises for a group, it abandoned its customers, eliminating any Around Japan cruises for the entire year. I am sure both cruises would have sold out, without a charter.

4) Celebrity could have handled the cancellations more professionally. It's first post implied that we could transfer to any cruise. Now, we are told only a handful. Further, after calling the phone number listed on the first post, I reached a nice young lady that knew NOTHING about this cancellation. She works in the resolutions department, designed for assisting people like killineybay and myself. I discovered this evening that I needed to call back on Monday and that perhaps someone could help me.

Also, we have a deadline to decide on our option, August 22.

5) I do notice that one of the options to transfer my booking is the October 25 cruise that starts in Tokyo and ends in Hong Kong. However, that cruise ports is Shanghai, which requires a Chinese visa. Last time I visited China, it cost me $200 pp for visa. If I take this cruise, I would have to pay even more than the $300 OBC offered. Still, it might be a good cruise, despite the fact that the price is significantly higher than what I booked on the 27 Sept cruise. Also, it visits only three Japanese ports.

In summary, I suggest that you open up more cruise options for those that have loyally booked these Japan cruises early. Also, could you please inform your resolutions department how to handle our bookings prior to Monday morning.

Finally, if we decided to wait for another Around Japan cruise in 2016, please don't cancel that cruise. Three times would be a strike out. After that, we might have to consider Princess.

I heard that Princess had a lot of their Japan cruises chartered out also... May be time for a cruiseline or offshoot to base themselves in Asia, similar to Princess with P&O in Australia.

Carol

Orator, were you or Cle-guy booked on one of these cancelled cruises as you both seem to have such words of wisdom?

No, I wasn't booked on these particular cruises. However, the situation is not unknown to me. Most who cruise more than a few times experience cancelations and delays. They are always upsetting, especially when you really looked forward to the cruise. Ships have unscheduled dry docks and are taken out of service for Charters. People handle situations differently. I was simply saying that one should not act too quickly. Give some time to process the situation before you react. My biggest regrets resulted from reacting too quickly.

I have rarely been a fan of how Celebrity handles situations. Just review some of my past posts on the implementation of the new point system. In my view they should have contacted those affected prior to any public announcement. They should contact you, not you them. It is what it is and everyone makes a decision that works best for them.

I hope that all of those who are deeply disappointed are ultimately made whole.

4) Celebrity could have handled the cancellations more professionally. It's first post implied that we could transfer to any cruise. Now, we are told only a handful.

With all due respect, Celebrity didn't imply that you could transfer to any cruise on the first post. What they said was: Re-book on select Celebrity sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate.

I am booked on the cruise. Totally understand that this is a possibility from booking very far out. Had a nice chat with a lady at the deployment number and asked her about the next cruise Oct 25th and she told my that if that is what we wanted to do, our reservation just was transferred over, same price and same cabin category with all perks intact like 123, OBC etc plus $300 OBC for the move over.

If I chose a cruise that is not listed ie the trans pacific, I would still keep all perks plus the new OBC but have to pay the going rate. Our group is sad as we were really looking forward to it even though it is still far away. I think we will hold off rebooking and see if the same itinerary comes out in 2016l

I am sorry, but no one can say that no one is out of pocket if a cruise 13+ months out is cancelled. You cannot possibly know everyone's circumstance. Wed are not affected by these cancellations but were about the charter of the April 2014 TP. Our travel insurance in VERY expensive. Being responsible people, we take out travel insurance as early as possible. for our insurers it is 18 months pre-cruise. It cost us nearly US$3,000. Celebrity do not sell travel insurance in the UK and were totally uninterested in making good our losses. Luckily, our insurers were more helpful, made an exception for us as a goodwill measure and refunded most of the premium. We are now loyal customers of our insurers but have a less trust in Celebrity. We still like the product but always have this bad taste in our mouths over this issue.

Agree there are a number of circumstances in which people may be out of pocket directly or indirectly so blanket no one statements are not entirely helpful just now for those impacted

Thirteen months out is also an issue where you have worked the cruise around other plans that might involve flights etc some of which could now be booked.

It looks like as others have said that booking for the Far East is a massive lottery given the propensity to take on charters in that area.

I still believe the cruiseline should accept NO charters after a ship has been placed on general sale. Yes I know all the economics Orator and Cle Guy but I also know about customer trust. I have no issues with charters so long as they are determined ahead of publication of schedules.

I feel really sorry for those about to have to replan their trips next year. Been there, it is an awful feeling. We had pencilled in one of these trips and had provisionally scheduled business trips in China round them. Funny the Chinese do not do change when they are calling the shots so I expect the business trips will go ahead and we will be scratching around for a holiday option (no I do not want to join the charter with 2000 locals :) )

Edited by uktog

With all due respect, Celebrity didn't imply that you could transfer to any cruise on the first post. What they said was: Re-book on select Celebrity sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate.

You are correct NLH, perhaps I wanted to read more into the message. I suppose we would still get the $300 OBC on any other sailing, just not at the protected rate.

I am just not sure that I want to hold out for 2016 and another Around Japan cruise and have it cancelled once more.

We are looking at the 25 Oct 2015 Japan and China. We have done China and its expensive visa process doesn't appeal to us, but I suppose we could manage.

I think Celebrity should consider that its customers might just want to do the Around Japan cruise at some point.

First, It's weeks not months. And most of us booked on these cruises have been asking X for the last couple weeks what was going on. We heard nothing or were told it's "only a minor inventory reconciliation'. Bottom line, they lied. Second, they ripped the guts out THREE cruises, giving us no option to see Japan on board. Third, X handled this in an extremely unprofessional manner. They are in the guest service industry. They should understand what that means. Fourth, I am also a shareholder..a very unhappy one right now. Fifth, I am not a newbie and am certainly aware that RCI owns all three lines, so please. Finally, 6/15. Knock yourself out.

Orator, were you or Cle-guy booked on one of these cancelled cruises as you both seem to have such words of wisdom?

I have not, although I have been booked onto a Charter that replaced a scheduled itinerary on Summit, and have others booked in the future as well.

Charters are part of the cruise business, and sometimes are known over a year in advance like this one is, others can cancel as close as 6 months out, as one I booked on did.

My words of wisdom are accept it move on, find an alternate vacation. It's the only thing to do. The sooner one moves on the better chance they have of finding an alternative before others take the good alternatives.

It's OK to be upset, but it isn't going to do anything to resolve the issue at hand is all. Good news here is, no one has airfare or hotels booked as they don't accept bookings this far out.

Agree there are a number of circumstances in which people may be out of pocket directly or indirectly so blanket no one statements are not entirely helpful just now for those impacted

Thirteen months out is also an issue where you have worked the cruise around other plans that might involve flights etc some of which could now be booked.

It looks like as others have said that booking for the Far East is a massive lottery given the propensity to take on charters in that area.

I still believe the cruiseline should accept NO charters after a ship has been placed on general sale. Yes I know all the economics Orator and Cle Guy but I also know about customer trust. I have no issues with charters so long as they are determined ahead of publication of schedules.

I feel really sorry for those about to have to replan their trips next year. Been there, it is an awful feeling. We had pencilled in one of these trips and had provisionally scheduled business trips in China round them. Funny the Chinese do not do change when they are calling the shots so I expect the business trips will go ahead and we will be scratching around for a holiday option (no I do not want to join the charter with 2000 locals :) )

I totally agree! People do make plans far out for specific reasons, and usually pay more to do so. We have been to Asia, and probably would not go back, but for those of you, it is bad business!