This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

There is a message in your post that HAL should be 'hearing'.

If 'many of the other vacation choices have smoking restrictions' must be what a vast majority of people want?

Vast majority of smokers wish to retain smoking on balconies.:cool: I think HAL can hear well enough.

The Bill of Rights was included in the Constitution as the first 10 Amendments so that the minority would not suffer at the hands of the majority and have to live by majority rule in all things.

Like. We thankfully do not live in a world where the majority rules, and this includes cruise ships.

There was a cigar smoker two cabins forward from our verandah on the Navigation deck this week. It would have been nice to be able to sit out on the deck without gagging from the smoke. This was the first time someones smoking on the verandah had been an issue for us. Comments regarding this matter were submitted to HAL on the e-survey we filled out today.

Watching this thread "blow up" the last week or so has reminded me that there are two important points I need to remember:

1. HAL will run its ships as it sees fit

2. I will vote with my wallet if the way they choose to run their business is not my cup of tea

Since some where kind enough to suggest that I find another cruise line, I already have thank you. Some of the vitriol and in-your-face militant smokers has made the decision much easier. And such a shame as HAL is a fine line but HALs smoking policy and the attitudes of some have made the HAL choice less palatable to even consider.

And before I get blow back, I'll say it for you - I promise not to let the door hit me on the way out :p That being said, I wish all of you smooth seas and many happy cruises in 2015.

I've heard it a lot on this thread. Why do you keep booking with hal? I also have no cruises booked with hal. I think this is the first time in at least 10 years that I haven't had a cruise booked with them. I will continue to press hal to end balcony smoking although I doubt that it does a thing. Likewise for smokers. I'm quite sure hal will end balcony smoking by mid 2015.

Edited by cruz chic

Watching this thread "blow up" the last week or so has reminded me that there are two important points I need to remember:

1. HAL will run its ships as it sees fit

2. I will vote with my wallet if the way they choose to run their business is not my cup of tea

Since some where kind enough to suggest that I find another cruise line, I already have thank you. Some of the vitriol and in-your-face militant smokers has made the decision much easier. And such a shame as HAL is a fine line but HALs smoking policy and the attitudes of some have made the HAL choice less palatable to even consider.

And before I get blow back, I'll say it for you - I promise not to let the door hit me on the way out :p That being said, I wish all of you smooth seas and many happy cruises in 2015.

Well said, we have nothing booked with HAL and I didn't even buy a future cruise credit during our most recent disappointment. . We have two Oceania, one Princess and one Disney cruise planned.

The smoking situation is almost laughable as we enter 2015, I feel like I'm in a time warp.

I've heard it a lot on this thread. Why do you keep booking with hal? I also have no cruises booked with hal. I think this is the first time in at least 10 years that I haven't had a cruise booked with them. I will continue to press hal to end balcony smoking although I doubt that it does a thing. Likewise for smokers. I'm quite sure hal will end balcony smoking by mid 2015.

I canceled the cruise I had booked for January. My reasons included I was not willing to risk having smokers beside me denying me use of my verandah. I have chosen, at the moment, to stay home for a cold winter rather than put up with smoke. For about the last 22 or so years, I was never without a cruise booked. We almost always had three, four or more cruises booked and my late DH refused to go on a cruise if he did not know for when/where our next was booked.

I am debating whether to book Canada/NE or Bermuda or both. I am waiting to see if there is an announced change to smoking policy.

Edited by sail7seas

Why couldn't we just all try to co-operate with each other, seeing as the issue with smoking remains as it is. I would be perfectly happy to talk to my neighbour about when we're out smoking. Instead of getting angry that you're getting it blowing onto your balcony, why not just go next door and ask. Most people are reasonable and will accommodate you. I know I would gladly. I don't want to ruin anybody else's cruise, and I believe most people don't. To smokers, how about asking the neighbor to the south of you if they mind if you smoke and if not, maybe stagger the times you are out there. It's really not that hard. We did it gladly on our last cruise. Then by the time the nonsmokers are out, the smell will have drifted away. What do you think, all???:)

Why couldn't we just all try to co-operate with each other, seeing as the issue with smoking remains as it is. I would be perfectly happy to talk to my neighbour about when we're out smoking. Instead of getting angry that you're getting it blowing onto your balcony, why not just go next door and ask. Most people are reasonable and will accommodate you. I know I would gladly. I don't want to ruin anybody else's cruise, and I believe most people don't. To smokers, how about asking the neighbor to the south of you if they mind if you smoke and if not, maybe stagger the times you are out there. It's really not that hard. We did it gladly on our last cruise. Then by the time the nonsmokers are out, the smell will have drifted away. What do you think, all???:)

I am willing to tolerate the smokers...I was one myself once. But, the cigar smokers.....they know most people can't stand the smell and it lingers. I know cigarette smoking is allowed...but cigars...that is just plain rude.

Thank you Peddie for capturing my sentiments about this subject.

Edited by qsuzi

I am willing to tolerate the smokers...I was one myself once. But, the cigar smokers.....they know most people can't stand the smell and it lingers. I know cigarette smoking is allowed...but cigars...that is just plain rude.

C'mon, Linda. No, they probably aren't thinking that most people hate the smell. They're just enjoying the freedom. It isn't rude behavior. Can you give a little? Man, I think this is what's wrong with this world. We want to change everybody and everything around us and not give an inch. :o

Not everyone is willing to 'work it out'. One of two weeks on Eurodam was absolutely impossible for us. My DH was a very diplomatic person, certainly knew the polite way to approach people and when we tried to use our verandah and asked for some cooperation, we were told 'it's allowed' and that was that. In a perfect world, your philosophy may work but in the real world of smokers on HAL verandahs, my personal experience says it is not to be counted on and realistically I don't even hope for it anymore.

I will need to know I have my verandah to use and enjoy particularly for my first cruise in the future. I cannot count on that for January so I canceled that cruise with my friends.

I cannot stand the smell of smoke. It isn't a question of a once in a while smoker next door. Some smokers light the next cigarette from the one they are then smoking. I'm not sure the woman smoker on that Eurodam cruise ever left her verandah. We had to leave ours.

Did you have anything to say about the smoking policy on HAL?

I am a non-smoker Lizzie and support HAL policy now and whatever it may be in the future. I don't see how sniping and being disrespectful to each other resolves anything. There are better ways to win hearts and minds on here and with HAL.

I do book verandah cabins. I don't object to people smoking on their verandahs. I think HAL's policies are fine as they are.

Well is isn't with us! Our cruise on the Maasdam had 3 neighbours who not only chain smoked cigarettes but also cigars and then marijuana. Need I say more:(

Exactly right. If the stats are right, 20% of US adults are smokers. We are not but we also are not bothered by an occasional whiff of smoke on our balcony. There's no way to know if we are typical or atypical of the average "no smoker" on HAL. However we have encountered neighbors who get a bit loud on their balcony, especially when entertaining, they turn down the noise when requested. I really think most smokers will also accommodate similar requests.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Not everyone is willing to 'work it out'. One of two weeks on Eurodam was absolutely impossible for us. My DH was a very diplomatic person, certainly knew the polite way to approach people and when we tried to use our verandah and asked for some cooperation, we were told 'it's allowed' and that was that. In a perfect world, your philosophy may work but in the real world of smokers on HAL verandahs, my personal experience says it is not to be counted on and realistically I don't even hope for it anymore.

<snip>

[/B][/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sow There']Exactly right. If the stats are right, 20% of US adults are smokers. We are not but we also are not bothered by an occasional whiff of smoke on our balcony. There's no way to know if we are typical or atypical of the average "no smoker" on HAL. However we have encountered neighbors who get a bit loud on their balcony, especially when entertaining, they turn down the noise when requested. I really think most smokers will also accommodate similar requests.[/QUOTE]

[B] I related one of my experiences on HAL trying to get any accommodation from our smoking neighbors. :rolleyes:

[/B]

[quote name='Sow There']With 12 HAL cruises under our belt, I will say that we've seen a lot of folks who have been drinking too much but we can't recall anyone who has gotten "out of control."

It's just very uncomfortable when sitting at the dinner table when one or more of our tablemates imbibed a bit (or a lot) before joining us. It makes conversation rather awkward and, frankly, encourages us to excuse ourselves and try the Lido buffet. That has happened more than a few times.

I guess, because we're both non-smokers who have more years behind us than we'd like, and because we're originally from the NY area where we used public transportation a whole lot, we're used to smoking on trains, airplanes, restaurants, on cruise ships, etc., and thus don't find it so bad on a ship that it prevents us from enjoying the veranda experience. Conversely, when the prevailing winds while under way occasionally blow the smoke from the stack(s) through our veranda we have to leave the veranda. Should HAL prohibit using diesel fuel as well?

No, we don't particularly enjoy drifting cigarette smoke but it's hard to imagine that we would ever let it spoil our cruise. However trying to have a congenial dinner conversation with someone who has had too much to drink is no fun at all. Neither is breathing the belching exhaust of engines burning bunker C diesel fuel.

That's why I agree with the "live and let live" notion expressed earlier. Nothing will ever be perfect; not even a HAL cruise.[/QUOTE]
I've been reading most of this entire thread. Thank you for your thoughtful and reasoned comments. I only wish more were like you!

[quote name='peddieplease']Why couldn't we just all try to co-operate with each other, seeing as the issue with smoking remains as it is. I would be perfectly happy to talk to my neighbour about when we're out smoking. Instead of getting angry that you're getting it blowing onto your balcony, why not just go next door and ask. Most people are reasonable and will accommodate you. I know I would gladly. I don't want to ruin anybody else's cruise, and I believe most people don't. To smokers, how about asking the neighbor to the south of you if they mind if you smoke and if not, maybe stagger the times you are out there. It's really not that hard. We did it gladly on our last cruise. Then by the time the nonsmokers are out, the smell will have drifted away. What do you think, all???:)[/QUOTE]
Many non smokers simply won't use their balcony rather than having a conversation or confronting their neighbord. Not everyone is as accommodating and understanding as you are either. My wife would never ask a smoker to cease, she would forego the balcony. Grudgingly. That's how a lot of people treat the situation in real life.

What if your neighbor asked you to cease and then spent 8 hours straight out there? I mean you agreed, but what is reasonable? How long is a piece of string?

ultimately though the decision has been made. Overwhelming public sentiment plus insurance risks plus the desire to reduce maintenance and housekeeping vosts. You will have public venues to smoke. None private. I do wish every cruise line had both a cigarette smokers lounge and a cigar lounge with coffee, snacks, bar service. Unfortunately the numbers don't bear out using spaces in that way.

I appreciate your post and tone but you are in a club of exceptionally few. I smoked for near 20 years and thought I was a considerate smoker. I now realize that in many public settings the only consideration was abstention

[quote name='LMaxwell']Many non smokers simply won't use their balcony rather than having a conversation or confronting their neighbord. Not everyone is as accommodating and understanding as you are either. My wife would never ask a smoker to cease, she would forego the balcony. Grudgingly. That's how a lot of people treat the situation in real life.

What if your neighbor asked you to cease and then spent 8 hours straight out there? I mean you agreed, but what is reasonable? How long is a piece of string?

ultimately though the decision has been made. Overwhelming public sentiment plus insurance risks plus the desire to reduce maintenance and housekeeping vosts. You will have public venues to smoke. None private. I do wish every cruise line had both a cigarette smokers lounge and a cigar lounge with coffee, snacks, bar service. Unfortunately the numbers don't bear out using spaces in that way.

I appreciate your post and tone but you are in a club of exceptionally few. I smoked for near 20 years and thought I was a considerate smoker. I now realize that in many public settings the only consideration was abstention[/QUOTE]

[B]Thank you so much for capturing some important points in a civil way. I recognize there are some nonsmokers who find it very difficult or impossible to be on their balcony when someone next door is on their balcony smoking. I am a non-smoker and also understand issues related to those who are life long smokers who have made multiple attempts to quit permanently. Some of these smokers have mobility issues that make it very difficult for them to go to other smoking areas frequently because of high pain levels for example. We have been fortunate in our 30 plus cruises to not have that type of smoker on our next door balcony where we needed to flee our balcony. But we may not be as sensitive to smoke as some are.[/B] Edited by qsuzi

[quote name='CruiseWhere'][B][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Well is isn't with us! Our cruise on the Maasdam had 3 neighbours who not only chain smoked cigarettes but also cigars and then marijuana. Need I say more:( [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]
Did they share?