Passport on Alaska

topaz123

If we take a cruise from Seattle and return to Seattle....do we need a passport? I know when we cruise carribean, if it is a "closed loop" cruise...just drivers id and birth cert. Does this apply when we go on an Alaskan cruise from Seattle?

Even if it turns out you don't need a passport, it can be invaluable if problems come up. There are CC posts over the years where people missed the ship in Florida and could not catch up to the cruise. The airline could not board them on the flight leaving the US without a PP. More relevant in Alaska, one couple had a dire family emergency at home. They could not leave the cruise a day early in Victoria and fly home to the US because they only had PP cards. The risk versus cost of a PP is a decision only you can make. (Be sure you understand exactly what is and is not acceptable birth certificate copy).

As others already commented, a birth certificate/standard driver's license isn't valid for a bus or train tour from Skagway into BC or Yukon. You need at least a PP card or an enhanced driver's license if your home state even has them.

Many cruise lines *require* a full passport even for closed-loop cruises. They are very clear you will not be allowed aboard even if you comply with government regs. Definitely check your cruiseline's printed or online information....the phone agents are notorious for wrong information.

All this assumes you're US citizens.

Edited by kenish

or Victoria?

It does not matter for Victoria. It is a port stop on a closed loop cruise. You can go into Victoria without a passport.

Skagway and the Yukon are different, because you are in a US port and have to cross the border into Canada. (Actually, British Columbia at that point.) A land border crossing requires a passport or EDL from a state that provides them.

We had one member of our party this summer without a passport. He had no problem doing the cruise with only a birth certificate and drivers licence, and we went into Victoria with no issues. None of us were even asked for ID other than our cruise cards in Victoria.

It does not matter for Victoria. It is a port stop on a closed loop cruise. You can go into Victoria without a passport.

This is not totally correct. As stated in my post above, about 8-10 cruise lines exceed government regulations and *absolutely require* a PP for closed-loop cruises out of SEA that visit Victoria. I agree that most of the major cruiselines do not require a PP...but if required, boarding will be denied in SEA if you don't meet their requirements.

OP- Do a google search on the subject and you will get abundant information on the regulations regarding PP and the possible risks to consider. Be sure to check the date an article was written- requirements have changed several times over the past 10 years. Of course the sole and final authority is your cruise contract....since we don't know your cruiseline, citizenship, etc. and the consequences of getting it wrong could be getting left on the dock in SEA, you need to do your own due diligence and not rely on generic info from anyone here (me included).

Edited by kenish

This is not totally correct. As stated in my post above, about 8-10 cruise lines exceed government regulations and *absolutely require* a PP for closed-loop cruises out of SEA that visit Victoria. I agree that most of the major cruiselines do not require a PP...but if required, boarding will be denied in SEA if you don't meet their requirements.

Perhaps what I should have said is that IF the cruise line allows you to sail without a passport, then you can go in to Victoria without a passport. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from cruise this weekend RT from Seattle. We had to show our passport to Canadian border agent who entered our shuttle bus on our way from Skagway to Yukon. Passport was not required in Victoria. We also had to show our passport to border agent when we disembarked in Seattle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An American citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada but an American does need a passport to re-enter the US so at air, land and most sea ports of entry CBSA does want to see a passport only to ensure that you can go home. ;)This requirement is waived in Victoria on a closed loop cruise or if you take the WP&YR only to the Summit as in that case you only enter a few yards in BC and no longer can alight from the train....however anything beyond that does require a passport or EDL. That all said, is always a good idea to travel with a passport as technically you could be prevented or at least delayed in flying home from Canada in the event of an emergency.

On the WPYR "Bennett Scenic Journey" a passport IS required. When the train stops in Fraser, everyone remains seated while Canadian officials pass through the train checking passports. After clearance, the train continues to Bennett and Carcross. Coming back into the us via the van was pretty much a wave through when Mike handed them a manifest. We did this via Chilkoot and it is stated, in ALL CAPS, that a passport is needed and they ask to show yours before beginning the trip. The trip to the border (White Pass) and back its not necessary.

I cross the border coming and going from Alaska to Whitehorse all the time....I need a passport...they check EVERY single time....New rules, new times...When you drive a dogsled across the border, such as in the Yukon Quest....you need a passport in order to enter the race....It goes through customs at either end that you start....Fairbanks or Whitehorse. Even the dogs need "passports". i.e. their health certificates which are signed by the state vet....so get a passport or a PP card...but be aware, the PP cards are not useable for air travel to and from. Only driving...

If you want to travel at all outside of the USA, get a passport. It is the best ID you can have. You can use it instead of a driver's license for TSA clearance in any USA airport as well. Better to have one and be glad you did, than to get stuck in some port or denied boarding simply because you don't have one with you.

Why wouldn’t you want to get a Passport? I don’t understand why everyone is so resistant to get a Passport. If I didn’t have one I’d have been screwed a few times. Just get one and be done with it. You never know when you might need to use it.

On a closed-loop cruise if you are a US citizen, no you do not need a Passport.

The exception would be if you are planning the rail excursion in Skagway.

As you have read in this thread, many believe it is a good idea anyway.

It's a personal decision, you need to decide what will work best for you.

Good luck and happy cruising.

For the *third* time on this thread, I *must* emphasize this is not universally true. You accurately state the US government's minimum requirements...but 8-10 cruise lines impose higher requirements and require full passports for their cruises that visit non-US ports. They tend to be smaller or premium cruise lines and the bulk of Alaska passengers aren't affected, but the only definitive and final answer is in the printed cruise contract and docs. There was a case on this board where the cruiseline agent gave out wrong info and the cruisers waved bye-bye from the pier.

Since the OP does not state the cruise line, there's a chance a full PP is required.

Edited by kenish

Following up on Kenish's comment ... because of the Jones Act, the term "closed loop" cruise is a bit of a misnomer. It may be closed loop, but every cruise originating from a mainland USA port is required to make at least one stop at a non-US port before it returns to its starting port. Hence, using an Alaska cruise as an example, every Seattle ship will stop at a Canadian port before returning to Seattle. Even if you decide to remain on the ship in the Canadian port, every passenger is required to prove they are legal residents in the US before they can board the ship in Seattle. A standard drivers license is not enough ... you must have a passport, a birth certificate, an enhanced drivers license, or any of several other forms of legal ID.

because of the Jones Act, the term "closed loop" cruise is a bit of a misnomer.

Actually it's PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) for passengers....Jones Act is for freight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

A standard drivers license is not enough ... you must have a passport, a birth certificate, an enhanced drivers license, or any of several other forms of legal ID.

....and not all official copies of County birth certificates meet Federal requirements.

Edited by kenish

The exception would be if you are planning the rail excursion in Skagway.

Let's just be very clear about the trains in Skagway. The train ride that goes up to the summit of the pass and back down again does NOT require a passport. Yes, you go a few hundred feet into Canada, but you do not get off the train, and you turn right around and come back down.

The trains that go further into Canada and make stops there may require passports - I suspect they do, but I can't speak directly to that as I haven't done those.

We have never been asked for our passport when re-entering the dock at Victoria, although we do have them with us just in case.

I agree with everyone on this: Get a passport. It's a one time expense that may well pay off handsomely in the future.

We did the Bennett Scenic Journey in July which travels all the way to Carcross. We were required remain seated on the train and present our passports to Canadian officials as they walked through the train. Chilkoot ' s (and WPYR's) clearly state, in all caps, PASSPORT REQUIRED. Chilkoot had us show our passports to our guide before even taking us to the train. Returning to the US passports were not required ( at least that time.)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk