Reason to transfer Carnival Booking to a Travel Agent?

TMac125

Hi!

I booked on Carnival.com my cruise for April 2016. I've read a few posts where people did that and then transferred the booking to a TA. But I don't see too many reasons on why one would do that.

We only have one mom and pop TA here in Casper. I know we can't give names promoting companies. So, if this is something I should do for my Carnival booking, how would I go about finding a TA I should use? Reasons why? I am thinking about adding another for a B2B in April for both legs the Dream does.

Thanks

tmac1502@yahoo.com

Edited by TMac125

Hi!

I booked on Carnival.com my cruise for April 2016. I've read a few posts where people did that and then transferred the booking to a TA. But I don't see too many reasons on why one would do that.

We only have one mom and pop TA here in Casper. I know we can't give names promoting companies. So, if this is something I should do for my Carnival booking, how would I go about finding a TA I should use? Reasons why? I am thinking about adding another for a B2B in April for both legs the Dream does.

Thanks

tmac1502@yahoo.com

Guess it depends on the person! I have a TA that I have used for over 20 years so if I book on board I transfer it to him.

The price is usually the same, sometimes the OBC is different, sometimes not. But I know I can call him on his personal cell from anywhere at anytime if we have any issues at all.

He has become a great friend, and is sailing with us on the Dream this month.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Agreed with previous poster bra plain. I have used same TA for over 13 years just for cruising. I found her by posting my cruise wishes on a best price type cruise sight where they "compete" and her bid was great, met my criteria of a real email and phone #. By pure coincidence was 45 minutes from us.

Cruise lines have become harder for TA's to allow for discounting especially Carnival, but find she helps with military discounts, price watching and availability.

Nothing wrong with a Carnival PVP if you get a great one, and if they stay.

And my reason for NOT transferring? I like total control of my booking. If for some reason I do have a question I can call the 800 number and it's handled pronto. Guess it depends on if you want control or give the control to someone else. Used a TA one time and while he was fine, I had to go through him for everything from questions to price drop matching. Not something I wished to go through again.

I use a TA because he is a friend in a small town. Just him and a part timer in the office.

Small business so doesn't offer obc or cake or wine. However small business so he really takes care of booking, price drops, and dealing with cruise line.

If he retires before I stop cruising I guess I will deal directly with Carnival by phone. I have too many questions to book on line.

That's just me. This is a personal decision.

And my reason for NOT transferring? I like total control of my booking. If for some reason I do have a question I can call the 800 number and it's handled pronto. Guess it depends on if you want control or give the control to someone else. Used a TA one time and while he was fine, I had to go through him for everything from questions to price drop matching. Not something I wished to go through again.

This is why we also book directly with Carnival.

I'll add that I've read that some travel agencies charge for any transactions, like price drops.

Since Carnival banned any incentives from outside agencies, there really isn't a reason to book elsewhere.

But for my Royal Caribbean cruises, I booked thru Costco Travel because the rates were the same but thru Costco, I get $300 in OBC whereas Royal offers nothing and I get 3% back on the entire cost of the cruise.

Since Carnival banned any incentives from outside agencies, there really isn't a reason to book elsewhere.

Carnival bans other TAs from publicly advertising lower price than them. But Carnival cannot ban incentives from outside agencies. We've booked with other TA's that provide "incentives", or lower prices.

We booked our upcoming cruise while we were on a Carnival cruise last year, and got $100 OBC. We then transferred our booking to a TA affiliated with our credit card, that gives 4.5% back for each Cad$1 spent. There is no charge for changes, or dealing with price drops. In fact, we had several price drops.

As for ability to call Carnival for questions, there is nothing preventing you from calling Carnival, as long as it's not something dealing with the booking that's with a TA. Well, we did contact Carnival directly to apply our Future Vacation voucher, and shareholder OBC. That you have to deal with Carnival.

But if it's questions about the ship, or the ports, usually the CSR's of Carnival don't really know the answer. We get answers from this forum or elsewhere. Once we had a Carnival CSR saying there's no pier in Cozumel, and another time one said there is pier in Belize.

But for my Royal Caribbean cruises, I booked thru Costco Travel because the rates were the same but thru Costco, I get $300 in OBC whereas Royal offers nothing and I get 3% back on the entire cost of the cruise.

We use to book through Costco but not anymore. They no longer accept Discover card where we get some good cash back rewards. So, we book directly with the cruise line and receive the same on board credits. Also, Costco no longer does Carnival bookings.

As for ability to call Carnival for questions, there is nothing preventing you from calling Carnival, as long as it's not something dealing with the booking that's with a TA. Well, we did contact Carnival directly to apply our Future Vacation voucher, and shareholder OBC. That you have to deal with Carnival.

But if it's questions about the ship, or the ports, usually the CSR's of Carnival don't really know the answer. We get answers from this forum or elsewhere. Once we had a Carnival CSR saying there's no pier in Cozumel, and another time one said there is pier in Belize.

True. The CSRs who handle service related issues for existing reservations (taking payments / applying Voucher funds / changing dining assignments etc...) are not highly trained for shipboard knowledge or port information. That doesn't mean you may not get someone on the line that is knowledgeable about cruising thru their own personal experience. But it's primarily a clerical position where the focus of training is on working the reservation programs for service related issues.

Can anyone confirm how long you have to transfer to a TA? I have read some posts that say within 30 days of booking & have read others that say just before final payment. My only reason for possibly transferring would be for OBC. With the cabin I have booked (6K), most likely my only chance for OBC will be what a TA will offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always book through a PVP at carnival. He always looks for the best prices and is just great! But, I had heard it was better to book through a TA for Celebrity so I tried that a couple of months ago. Her price ended up being about $300 higher for same category of room. She was doing nothing extra for me so I canceled with her and booked directly through Celebrity. I know I could have her price match but it wasn't worth it. I wanted to book through a TA to make things easier not more difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can anyone confirm how long you have to transfer to a TA? I have read some posts that say within 30 days of booking & have read others that say just before final payment. My only reason for possibly transferring would be for OBC. With the cabin I have booked (6K), most likely my only chance for OBC will be what a TA will offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

Before final payment is made on Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

My two cents -

I have used a private TA for over 14 years now, and she is so apologetic that she cannot offer me lower rates than Carnival. however some OBC can be offered. Best she could due recently was $125 for a Southern Caribbean cruise in cabin level OS. Perhaps each cruise date will vary. She also could not match an online company budget offer as it was internal company offer. The TA hands are tied with amount they can offer now, she said other lines give her much more negotiable rates for her customers.

I have not used TA in a long time. The PVP I use is pretty good I usually book ES with him so if a deal comes up on the Internet I just call him and get the lower price. If I book an ES with a TA the TA has to change the booking which may take time and the special may be gone.

Gary

We started with Carnival PVP from day one and he has been great. We booked our second cruise while at Disney World and the PVP was at home on his day off. He stopped and went on his home computer to book the cruise. Could not ask for better service.

It used to be before final payment years ago. But that changed. It's 30 days after your booking or before final payment, whichever comes first.

I will start out by saying that I am a TA myself and I will admit I love having control of my own booking as well. Any TA worth their weight in gold will look out for you without having to be prompted and will let you know when prices drop/new sales and the such.

On the other hand, sometimes we do not have the answers at our fingertips like PVP's do and we have to call in and get the answer from Carnival (and like a PVP, sometimes we get the wrong information :( )

Choose whatever route is best for you. You should get the same price via TA/PVP. You may get better service from a TA but will have to depend on them to answer your questions because Carnival will not talk to you then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband was told by 2 Carnival employees (before and after we booked)that he had until final pmt to transfer our most recent booking. It made sense to him because our previous carnival cruise was booked 6 weeks from sailing and we had 48hrs to transfer. Come time to transfer they gave the agent ( also my husbands mother) a hard time and wouldn't make the transfer stating that the limit was 30 days.. Husband called and explained what he had been told. They had both conversations recorded and therefore obliged and transferred the booking even though "it was too late". I would stick with the 30 days, unless its after final pmt which was ( in our experience) a 48hr time limit.

agreed with previous poster bra plain. I have used same ta for over 13 years just for cruising. I found her by posting my cruise wishes on a best price type cruise sight where they "compete" and her bid was great, met my criteria of a real email and phone #. By pure coincidence was 45 minutes from us.

Cruise lines have become harder for ta's to allow for discounting especially carnival, but find she helps with military discounts, price watching and availability.

Nothing wrong with a carnival pvp if you get a great one, and if they stay.

would love to have a great go to person :) i too have used the compete site for the past few years. I'd like someone to call & say we are off this certain week, we can go anywhere find me a deal......... Looks like we are almost hoosier neighbors if you don't mind sharing your ta my email is maryhou88 at gmail

If it's not a friend, I wouldn't do it.

This upcoming cruise alone I have called carnival twice after midnight for a price drop. Both times, the new lower rate was gone by 8am. If I had a TA, I would have to wait until they were in the office, and at that point, the price was no longer cheaper. I use a PVP with carnival, even still I can call anyone to take care of any issue. with a TA, carnival will only give you general information, EVERYTHING that deals with your booking must go through the TA.