Houston

Quantum Wino

My wife and. I are planning to take the Emerald out of Houston in January and since we have never gone through this port I have a few questions.

We are flying in to Houston the day before. What is a good place to stay? Should we arrange our own transport or go with Princess? I understand the actual Port is a fair distance from the Airport.

Any advise would be appreciated!

My wife and. I are planning to take the Emerald out of Houston in January and since we have never gone through this port I have a few questions.

We are flying in to Houston the day before. What is a good place to stay? Should we arrange our own transport or go with Princess? I understand the actual Port is a fair distance from the Airport.

Any advise would be appreciated!

You might also post your question on the ports board too. ;)

I can fly into either airport, I know Hobby is closer, however Princess does not have a hotel and transfer deal other than out of Bush. I think if I fly into Bush it would probably work best through Princess as it is $195 including transfer to the ship at the Marriot. Flying into Hobby we would be on our own for the hotel and getting to the ship. So I am just figuring out which way to go.

I can fly into either airport, I know Hobby is closer, however Princess does not have a hotel and transfer deal other than out of Bush. I think if I fly into Bush it would probably work best through Princess as it is $195 including transfer to the ship at the Marriot. Flying into Hobby we would be on our own for the hotel and getting to the ship. So I am just figuring out which way to go.

You can book a xfer to the ship from either IAH or HOU without having a Princess booked hotel. Just have to make your way back to the airport baggage claim area on embarkation day.

(Is that $195 for two people or the price for each person?)

we are on the Emerald on Jan 11 th , will fly into Houston a day ahead due to flight issues on our end , and arranged with Princes ( our TA ) for hotel package at bush international ( Marriott ) for $195 a night before & after cruise , saved enough $$$ changing from princess air to booking our own to pay for room :D

• 1 month later...

I will be sailing out of the new port of Houston for the first time next month (previously I have mostly sailed out of Galveston), but I do know the area around the port fairly well and up until a couple of years ago I drove along Hwy 146 that goes by the port at least 5 or 6 times per year. The area around the port (8-10 mile radius) is all very industrial with few motel choices, the ones that are there are overpriced in my opinion. If you are flying in early enough to have some free time in the evening the day before the cruise I would suggest flying into Hobby and getting a motel/hotel near the Kemah boardwalk which is about 8 miles south of the cruise terminal right down Hwy 146. There is one hotel on the boardwalk development property itself and 3 or 4 others within easy walking distance. The boardwalk itself is a commercial venture with a mix of carnival rides, national casual dining options, art galleries, etc. and the surrounding area has a number of cottage shops next to the marina. The holiday Inn Kemah is probably the newest of the hotel options built in 2010, and located about 1/4 mile from the boardwalk (most of the area between it and the boardwalk will be the above mentioned cottage shops, and outlying parking)

for taxi prices see http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by PenguinLife

We stayed at Springhill Suites near Hobby last year -- not a great area but the hotel was very nice & a good rate. They had a free shuttle to & from the airport (where the next morning we got the Princess bus), as well as free shuttle to restaurants (in a 5-mile radius), Wal-Mart, etc. Worked for us as we really just needed a place to stay the night...

Nice to hear WisCruiser. That's where our family is staying. Since we are coming from 3 different parts of the country, each person can just take the shuttle to the hotel whenever he arrives. Then we'll use the shuttle in the evening to take us someplace to eat.

Springhill Suites is a good chain and we sure couldn't beat the price!

We sailed from Houston back in November last year. We booked a night at the 4 seasons with Princess transfers.

We liked it a lot. The hotel was great and the transfers were no hassle. It is about 45 min to an hour to get to the port from downtown Houston.

Princess transfers are really the way to go. The idea of not using a princess hotel sounds nice on paper, but the ride back to the airport is a long one and is probably not worth the cost or the hassle.

Agree with Springhill Suites near Hobby. Kind of weird location (behind a sports bar), but price was good, swimming pool was nice, great people and decent included breakfast. When we were there some people were waiting for a transfer to the Caribbean Princess, apparently arranged through the hotel. Others were taking cabs.

In our case we took our IAH rental car .7 miles to Hobby airport, car shuttle to the airport, and then private transfer to Galveston. But there were also lots of folks in the baggage area signing up on the spot for transfers to RCI, Carnival and Princess ships. So you do have a lot of options.

I am driving a rental car from San Antonio to Houston with my 81 year old mother the day before we leave on the Emerald. Because my choices were so limited at the Houston port to return my car (limited locations and weekend times) I decided to drive to Houston International Airport, turn my rental car in at their 24 hour operation, stay at the Marriott (which I guess is attached to the Airport) and take advantage of the cruise line's hotel and transfer option. I thought it was a reasonable price - and once I get her checked into the hotel I am hoping that it will be "smooth sailing" from then on. :D

We will be returning the same way.

I decided to drive to Houston International Airport, turn my rental car in at their 24 hour operation, stay at the Marriott (which I guess is attached to the Airport)

Yes, the Marriott is part of the airport. It can be reached from the terminals by the underground train that goes between the terminals.

I don't understand why the cruise lines are staying in Galveston and Houston. The cruise prices are ridiculously low, the port charges are ridiculously high and the transfer charges from the airports are rediculously low. Moral - go straight to the ship from the airport to the cruise terminal NOW. This can't last long.

I don't understand why the cruise lines are staying in Galveston and Houston. The cruise prices are ridiculously low, the port charges are ridiculously high and the transfer charges from the airports are rediculously low. Moral - go straight to the ship from the airport to the cruise terminal NOW. This can't last long.

To entice Princess and NCL to the Houston Bayport Terminal, the Port of Houston has waived the port charges making the port economically viable for the two cruise lines.

Remember the new Houston Bayport cruise terminal was built on the if we build it they will come theory, at a cost of over 100 million dollars and it sat practically empty for the first 5 years it was in operation, only being used for a handful of cruises diverted there due to storm damage in Galveston.