What next?

Can'tstopcruising

Honestly! Why should you have to ask for a facecloth? If I have to ask for one there won't be an additional tip at the end of the cruise. Today a facecloth tomorrow it will be a pillowcase.
Only one poster reported that they didn't have washcloths, so I'm guessing it was a one-off, since no one else reported it. Things happen and possibly they were still in the laundry or the cabin steward just plain forgot. Let's wait until there are more reports of the same thing, before we assume that is the way it is going to be or that it will happen again to another passsenger. Edited by NLH Arizona

I use my hands. I didn't realize that was not a common concept:eek:

Meeeee too! I honestly don't remember the last time I have used a face/washcloth for anything other than dusting my furniture or as an opposite color to the hand towel underneath it when staging my spare bathroom.

Washcloth seem gross to me they just collect germs and then you wipe them all over and spread them, unless of course you wash them after every single use, and at home, I have better things than to do a load of wash cloths every other day so certainly don't need to change my procedure when not at home.

icky.

As to the cotton swabs (not Q-tips) I can't stand the plastic stick ones, so I always travel with my trusty Qtips brand sturdy cardboard stick ones. I'm a creature of habit who love my creature comforts.

Now that they offer the drink package as a free perk I don't see the need for stocking the minibar to begin with unless there is a request by the passenger. Then the passenger can request exactly what they want.

The money is made off the items being there when the whim or late night craving hits. I don't think anyone goes to the cabin thinking thursday at midnight i'm gonna want a late night drink. It's there to offer an alternative then the whim hits.

Emptying it takes away the revenue potential from when that craving hits.

When I do hit it up, it's normally 3 am and I'm dying for a bottle of water, or have an upset stomach (certainly not from over imbibing with the drink package) and want a ginger ale.

Washcloth seem gross to me they just collect germs and then you wipe them all over and spread them, unless of course you wash them after every single use, and at home, I have better things than to do a load of wash cloths every other day so certainly don't need to change my procedure when not at home.

I always use a face cloth when washing my face, especially when needing to take off make up. As a matter fact I always ask for extra towels to be left every day. That's just how I roll. And yes I use face clothes at home all the time.

Edited by CruisingChick

Only one poster reported that they didn't have washcloths, so I'm guessing it was a one-off, since no one else reported it. Things happen and possibly they were still in the laundry or the cabin steward just plain forgot. Let's wait until there are more reports of the same thing, before we assume that is the way it is going to be or that it will happen again to another passsenger.

I would have to agree as I can't see them cutting out facecloths. My guess is that they ran out because they were bleaching out the make up from the women who were expecting to use the cotton balls that they were always provided with. Not everyone reads these boards and even though I don't have the opportunity to cruise a lot I still monitor the boards so I'm aware of any changes. My wife buys cotton balls by the gazillion at BJ's so she is good to go. We didn't know that Celebrity provided them when we sailed for the first time so it was a nice surprise for her when she saw them. Glad we got to sail at least once before the change.

Just off the Summit two weeks ago in a Sky suite. We had to ask for ice several times, just had one vanity pack (but I brought my own Q Tips and don't use an emory board after a pre cruise manicure or cotton balls ever) and had to ask for more shampoo and conditioner toward the end of the cruise as it was never refilled for two of us. Towels were two of everything each day. I use two towels for each shower so that was sparse. Towel animals...one for the entire week but it was an awesome lobster! Chocolate covered oreos were delivered on our pillows every night even though we never ate them on the cruise. They have been devoured since!! :)

Although we've only sailed NCL in the past and never had to ask for anything, we never felt slighted by the lack of re-filing or towel animals. When we wanted anything we asked the butler or steward and it was done.

I have no point of comparison as I've only been on one Celebrity cruise, but all in all, it was pretty seamless as far as having what we needed in the cabin once we asked.

Just my newbie (Celebrity) two cents! We had a great cruise and plan on cruising with Celebrity again.

A small charge for dinner in the MDR.

A little more for dinner w/a reservation.

$$$ is good for the bottom line. Surcharge could upgrade the MDR w/better food, service, less crowding

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

Towel animals...one for the entire week but it was an awesome lobster! .

Just a note on towel animals. Have sailed Celebrity 200+ days in the last 10 years. Towel animals: 1.

We don't expect them, and on lines where they are fairly common (RCL/Princess) we tell the room attendant to skip our room so they can spend an additional 5 minutes napping in their cabin:)

Wow, six pages about cotton balls, Q-tips, facecloths and chocolates!

Haven't cruised on Celebrity yet, but won't miss cotton balls (only use them to remove fingernail polish, and I wouldn't be doing that on a cruise). DH always brings own Q-tips. Never use a facecloth -- I'm a lather and rinse person -- and if the chocolates are like the ones on Princess or Disney, don't really need them -- lots of other stuff to eat on board.

But, one last thought on the vanity pack. I'm willing to bet there are time studies about how many seconds it takes to do each task for a room steward, and replacing a pack containing several toiletry items probably shaves time off of refilling individual containers.

Continue on.....

Wash cloth shortage happened to us, too...however, there were always plenty rolled up in the ladies room everywhere on the ship...it was rather odd.

Can't speak for the ladies rooms, but in the mens rooms they aren't face clothes, they're hand towels.

Depending on the room's location and the time of day, they can be in short supply. On the infrequent times they run out, I never assumed that it was due to a Celebrity cut back.

But, one last thought on the vanity pack. I'm willing to bet there are time studies about how many seconds it takes to do each task for a room steward, and replacing a pack containing several toiletry items probably shaves time off of refilling individual containers.

More important is the limited space on the housekeeping cart. Only so many places for individual items, and having to have stock for 25 or so cabins on the Cart. having 1 vanity pack location versus a cubby for loose cotton balls and another for loose quips is a consideration. Also why lots of hotels have a "condiment" pack instead of separate sugar, creamer, stirstick, low calorie sweetener.

We had a staff member at the Marriott whose job overnight was to do nothing but restock all the housekeeping carts for the morning. It is a LOT of work! rom memory, here;s what goes into a Celebrity cabin daily:

• Shampoo
  • Codiitioner
  • Bath Gel
  • Soap, shower
  • Soap, vanity
    • (and remember different cabins categories get different brands within the bath
    • product range!)
    • nail kits in some cabins
    • sewing kits in some cabins
    • lotion in some cabins

[*]washcloths

[*]hand towels

[*]bath towels

[*]fitted sheets, king and twin

[*]top sheets, king and twin

[*]pillow cases

[*]trash bags

[*]trash can liners

[*]vanity packs (or seperate cotton and swabs)

[*]Notepads

[*]Pens

[*]room Service door hangers

[*]glassware

[*]stationary kits

[*]other printed collateral materials

Like many things in business, Celebrity needs to constantly ask "What do we need to change and update?"

When I think of a couple of little mint/chocolates on my pillow at night, that's fine, but on an S Class ship which has about 2500 guests that 5000 packages of mints a night or 35000 mints for a 7 night cruise, for goodness sake, multiply that by 10 ships sailing every week and it 350,000 mints. . Even at $0.03 each that's over $10000 a week spent on mints, most of which are wasted.

My guess is, almost everything people have mentioned could easily appear if any of us simply let our stateroom attendant know on the first day of the cruise the things we appreciate and the things we do not. The people next to us on our last cruise told the attendant how much they get a kick out of towel animal and had some little creature appear every night, my wife always tells the attendant she does not want any late night chocolate but said in passing how she wished they put fruit in the room late at night, and from then on she had a pear, plumb, or strawberries appear on a plate on her pillow.

Edited by aquaclass

The people next to us on our last cruise told the attendant how much they get a kick out of towel animal and had some little creature appear every night, my wife always tells the attendant she does not want any late night chocolate but said in passing how she wished they put fruit in the room late at night, and from then on she had a pear, plumb, or strawberries appear on a plate on her pillow.

What a great point! to get excellent, personalized service on needs to get a little personal with the cabin stewards and other staff members so they can have a better idea how to give the best personalized service!

I;ve told my steward I like to munch on cheese and crackers late at night, and when I have, every night a cheese and cracker tray was awaiting my arrival. Crackers, they left an entire box, so they didn't get soggy in the covered plate with cheese--a VERY nice touch I thought.

As to towel animals, on my 7 cruses in the last 2 years, not once have I had one, not once have I asked for one. Others have that I've see in on my cruises. I also could care less about that amenity. I;m certain however if I mentioned it, I'd have had a zoo of critters by the end of my sailings.

Edited by cle-guy

Like many things in business, Celebrity needs to constantly ask "What do we need to change and update?"

When I think of a couple of little mint/chocolates on my pillow at night, that's fine, but on an S Class ship which has about 2500 guests that 5000 packages of mints a night or 35000 mints for a 7 night cruise, for goodness sake, multiply that by 10 ships sailing every week and it 350,000 mints. . Even at $0.03 each that's over $10000 a week spent on mints, most of which are wasted.

My guess is, almost everything people have mentioned could easily appear if any of us simply let our stateroom attendant know on the first day of the cruise the things we appreciate and the things we do not. The people next to us on our last cruise told the attendant how much they get a kick out of towel animal and had some little creature appear every night, my wife always tells the attendant she does not want any late night chocolate but said in passing how she wished they put fruit in the room late at night, and from then on she had a pear, plumb, or strawberries appear on a plate on her pillow.

What they really need to change is the butter? in the main dining areas...wth is that stuff?

What they really need to change is the butter? in the main dining areas...wth is that stuff?

I have always gotten, unless it's a recent change, a 3-compartment dish, 1 has hummus, 1 has sour cream and chive infused butter, and the last is no salt added whipped butter as far as I could tell.

The no salt whipped butter is my least favorite. The SourCream and chive infused is my favorite. I think I'd like to microwave it and drink it straight up. :D

I have always gotten, unless it's a recent change, a 3-compartment dish, 1 has hummus, 1 has sour cream and chive infused butter, and the last is no salt added whipped butter as far as I could tell.

The no salt whipped butter is my least favorite. The SourCream and chive infused is my favorite. I think I'd like to microwave it and drink it straight up. :D

I don't think it's butter...it's much too yellow for butter

I don't think it's butter...it's much too yellow for butter

Maybe margarine?

I do know when I travel in the UK and Europe the butter there is very much more yellow than ours is, also the eggs yolks are a far richer yellow color too.

Even worse than the pseudo-butter is the pretend cream for your coffee...but that's not just on Celebrity - It is hard to get milk or cream in some restaurants. those little don't-need-to-be-refrigerated containers of "cream" are nasty.

I ask for milk instead of cream - at least then it has a chance of being an animal product instead of a chemical creation.

Maybe margarine?

I do know when I travel in the UK and Europe the butter there is very much more yellow than ours is, also the eggs yolks are a far richer yellow color too.

IDK...what I do know...butter should never be grainy...not sure why that fake stuff they serve is grainy

Edited by 20pluscruises

My next cruise I will be checking to see if they have converted to for pay toilets in the public areas. LOL.

I don't think that any of the disappeared items mentioned so far make much difference to us as far as our overall cruise enjoyment. But I might admonish Celebrity about its continued use of the slogan "Modern Luxury". If it goes too far eliminating the sort of small things that in the minds of many are equated as comprising that marketing slogan then they might just be shooting themselves in the foot.

My next cruise I will be checking to see if they have converted to for pay toilets in the public areas. LOL.

I don't think that any of the disappeared items mentioned so far make much difference to us as far as our overall cruise enjoyment. But I might admonish Celebrity about its continued use of the slogan "Modern Luxury". If it goes too far eliminating the sort of small things that in the minds of many are equated as comprising that marketing slogan then they might just be shooting themselves in the foot.

I agree!

I would be fine with taking away all of the little things and bumping the quality of food back to what it once was. (and I was in Blu)

As long as we cruisers continue to demand lower fares and more perks, things will disappear and evolve.

My grocery bill has increased dramatically this past year. Sometimes people forget that businesses are not immune from cost increases. So cotton swabs get swallowed up in a higher price for beef ...

I agree wholeheartedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The changes in the food quality, and the vendors makes more of a difference to me than the vanity items in the bathroom.

As I've previously posted, I noticed the change at the Tuscan Grill on Reflection in April. We enquired about the poor quality and thin cut of the steak. The host told us that many people commented on that. They changed meat vendors and were butchering the steaks a little thinner.....

The changes in the food quality, and the vendors makes more of a difference to me than the vanity items in the bathroom.

As I've previously posted, I noticed the change at the Tuscan Grill on Reflection in April. We enquired about the poor quality and thin cut of the steak. The host told us that many people commented on that. They changed meat vendors and were butchering the steaks a little thinner.....

The first night in Blu my DH tenderloin steak was good, mine was horrible. The wait staff must know as the didn't even question the huge fatty pieces left on my plate.

Thanks for the heads up on Tuscan...in December 2013 on the Reflection it was excellent. Actually a very tender, juicy, cooked perfectly filet. Sad to hear there are now new vendors. :(