Alaska: HAL vs Princess

Tarpeian Rock

While we see ourselves as leaning more toward Oceania in the future, we want to do Alaska, and have been assuming that meant HAL, and our research seems to point to the Oosterdam for the 2015 Alaska cruising season. (Have ruled out the Zandaam.)

But: the posted Oosterdam/Alaska reviews are pretty bad. While we've paid for some future cruise credit on HAL, we're wondering if we should just leave that on the table and think Princess instead. Recognizing that this is a HAL board, we still wanted to ask for advice from Alaska land/sea veterans: In view of the current corner-cutting which we know is going on throughout the industry, is HAL or Princess the better choice for Alaska? Our one Princess experience last year on the Grand was pretty good, and we certainly thought Princess managed the MDR better than recent HAL experiences.

While we see ourselves as leaning more toward Oceania in the future, we want to do Alaska, and have been assuming that meant HAL, and our research seems to point to the Oosterdam for the 2015 Alaska cruising season. (Have ruled out the Zandaam.)

But: the posted Oosterdam/Alaska reviews are pretty bad. While we've paid for some future cruise credit on HAL, we're wondering if we should just leave that on the table and think Princess instead. Recognizing that this is a HAL board, we still wanted to ask for advice from Alaska land/sea veterans: In view of the current corner-cutting which we know is going on throughout the industry, is HAL or Princess the better choice for Alaska? Our one Princess experience last year on the Grand was pretty good, and we certainly thought Princess managed the MDR better than recent HAL experiences.

While we've only done HAL to Alaska, it's my understanding that both HAL and Princess have excellent cruises (since they're the ones who've done them the longest).

I'll point out that cruising Alaska is primarily about Alaska, not the ship. We look over all itineraries (from all cruise lines going to Alaska) and decide from there what cruise we're going to take. So far, HAL has had what we wanted. But I wouldn't dismiss Princess.

All major cruise lines sail to Alaska :). It becomes a choice of where you are looking to sail to port wise, and which stateroom category you are looking for. Certain lines are known for some categories more than others. I will say that DW and I were on the O with my mother and several of my moms friends (I chaperoned a group of retired school teachers lol) in 2011 and she was fine. I know quite a bit can change in 3 years. We have also sailed on the Zaandam and I can say the same about her as well. The only ship that was in despicable shape that I have personally sailed on was the Statendam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

While I have not been on a HAL Alaskan cruise, I have been on a Princess cruise to Alaska. I have heard that they are comparable . I think the difference in itinerary is that HAL goes to Hubbard Glacier. Our princess cruise 2 years ago was on the Coral Princess and we have NO complaints. Nice, mid-sized ship, never felt crowded, food excellent.

Decide which itinerary appeals most to you. Make sure that there is good public deck space for viewing. Alaska is truly about the itinerary more than anything else.

Realize that in all likelihood, some of the reviews you have read about the Oosterdam, both good and horrid, are not entirely rational ;)

I know you said you ruled out the Zaandam, but we sailed on her to Alaska in July and absoulutely loved the ship, the cruise, the crew, the food, the service - basically loved it all. My sister who didn't want to cruise ever, came along because I talked her into it. She was blown away by the quality of the food and service. She's now bugging me about where we should cruise next. :D

Decide which itinerary appeals most to you. Make sure that there is good public deck space for viewing. Alaska is truly about the itinerary more than anything else.

Realize that in all likelihood, some of the reviews you have read about the Oosterdam, both good and horrid, are not entirely rational ;)

Not always true about the viewing space. If you book a balcony, you can sit outside as long as you want ;)

Not always true about the viewing space. If you book a balcony, you can sit outside as long as you want ;)

On a balcony, one sees a limited amount. I had a balcony for my most recent trip to Alaska, and barely used it. I found it too limiting. Most of my time was spent on public decks. Friends I travelled with NEVER used the public decks, and missed an incredible amount of scenery, and wildlife viewing.

I can not comment on the HAL ship you are considering, but either the Island or Coral Princess would be excellent choices. They have a lot of outside deck areas and were designed for Alaska in the summer and Panama Canal cruises in the winter. Princess has moved some of their larger ships to Alaska, and personally I would stick with one of these two instead as they hold far less passengers and have much more public space.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

throwing this into the hat,we sail HAL for the first time next year.As I see some of you have sailed DCL.We took a cruise to Alaska on Disney in late May,and loved both the ship and the ports.I just hated the cold,but dealt with it,as the scenery itself was spectacular,and so worth the trip!

When I sit on my balcony on Alaskan cruises I am wondering what I am missing on the other side!

igraf

We have cruised to Alaska twice on the Oosterdam. Both were wonderful cruises. I have read bad reviews for cruises we have been on, and I just cannot believe that these people were on the same cruise. Some people will not be happy about anything.

Not to say that Princess will be any less enjoyable.

igraf

igraf,we always sail balcony,and we're going on our 5th cruise next month.If you're worried about what you missed on the other side,than maybe you need to see Alaska a different way.I enjoy whatever I'm seeing,and if I don't catch something,I'm not upset.I'm thankful to be able to travel this way!;)

igraf,we always sail balcony,and we're going on our 5th cruise next month.If you're worried about what you missed on the other side,than maybe you need to see Alaska a different way.I enjoy whatever I'm seeing,and if I don't catch something,I'm not upset.I'm thankful to be able to travel this way!;)

Either that or go more frequently. We are going for our 3rd AK sailing.

The comment above about the Statendam being in "despicable" condition comes as some surprise to me, I was on it just 6 weeks ago in Alaska and I thought overall it was in excellent condition, almost impeccable. The only thing I noticed was that the light stanchions at the rear on the Navigation deck needed some refinishing.

We have cruised to Alaska twice on the Oosterdam. Both were wonderful cruises. I have read bad reviews for cruises we have been on, and I just cannot believe that these people were on the same cruise. Some people will not be happy about anything.

Not to say that Princess will be any less enjoyable.

igraf

I have to say that I've enjoyed all my cruises on the o as well. It's one of my favs. There is a poster on this board that I respect that did not have a pleasant cruise on the o and I completely understand. Does that mean he is happy with anything? I highly doubt that. It's never a good idea to make sweeping generalizations. I've had two cruise on the Westy, both not great. Lots of people are happy with that ship. I can tell you most folks weren't on my cruise.

The comment above about the Statendam being in "despicable" condition comes as some surprise to me, I was on it just 6 weeks ago in Alaska and I thought overall it was in excellent condition, almost impeccable. The only thing I noticed was that the light stanchions at the rear on the Navigation deck needed some refinishing.

I was on her last year

Did the HAL land/sea Alaska tour 6/9 - 6/22/2014 plus some extra days. Sailed on The Oosterdam. Lovely, well run ship, food and service was good, ship excursions that we took, in addition to some private ones, were very good. Had a grand time and found The Oosterdam to be in fine shape. Some people would never be satisfied with any ship.

Did Alaska on Princess many years ago. Princess owns Alaska - so if you are going to do a land package (either before or after the cruise) I would go Princess. If you are only going to cruise I don't think there is much difference between HAL and Princess.

Did Alaska on Princess many years ago. Princess owns Alaska - so if you are going to do a land package (either before or after the cruise) I would go Princess. If you are only going to cruise I don't think there is much difference between HAL and Princess.

Agree to disagree. HAL McKinley Explorer Train far superior! :)

Agree to disagree. HAL McKinley Explorer Train far superior! :)

I, also, don't agree. We did our cruisetour on HAL 12 nights into the Yukon, Denali, and 7 night cruise Seward to Vancouver. Loved the train from Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage. Sadly, they don't do the Fairbanks to Denali leg on the train any longer.

I checked the Princess site - they don't go into the Yukon, and their cruisetours are shorter. They have 1, 2 or 3 nights in Denali and then to the ship for a 7 night cruise.

I think, if you're going to do a cruisetour, you should go for as long as you can and cover as much ground as you can.

When I sit on my balcony on Alaskan cruises I am wondering what I am missing on the other side!

igraf

From our Oosterdam balcony we viewed and videotaped the Marjorie Glacier calving...we were so close to it...awesome! But we also went out on the bow to view more of Glacier Bay. That trip hooked us on balconies!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app.

If you're considering stricly the cruise to Alaska and not land cruisetours, then I'd seriously consider a ship that travels the Inside Passage northbound. The scenery, seas and weather are far superior between BC's mainland and Vancouver Island rather than cruises that travel outside (to the west and open seas) of Vancouver Island. Outside Vancouver Island, there is more wind, rain and a tendency to rougher seas. There are beautiful views going north between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Most cruise ships travel the Inside Passage southbound, but keep in mind that this is usually at night and the night before disembarkation. So IMHO, I'd try to cruise out of Vancouver and be on a ship that views this spectacular scenery travelling northbound.