most likely a dumb question

SuperGrace2002

I am planning my second cruise.

On my first cruise I think I spent most my money in ports on lunches - when I could have just gotten back on the boat, this time around hoping to spend less on food, when I already paid for food on the cruise.

So my question, well guess its a two part question: Can we bring snacks on the boat & if so could we bring snacks with us into ports?

Cruise I am looking at Ports in, St Kitts, St Marrten, PR, Grand Turk.

Thanks for any input.

On my first cruise I think I spent most my money in ports on lunches - when I could have just gotten back on the boat, this time around hoping to spend less on food, when I already paid for food on the cruise.

So my question, well guess its a two part question: Can we bring snacks on the boat & if so could we bring snacks with us into ports?

Thanks for any input.

Typically, you're only allowed to take pre-packaged food off the ship in ports. Like granola bars, individual cereal boxes and the like. No fruit, or meat (perishable) products. And the cruise lines we've been on only allow the same (pre-packaged) type snacks to be brought onboard. No homemade stuff.

Typically, you're only allowed to take pre-packaged food off the ship in ports. Like granola bars, individual cereal boxes and the like. No fruit, or meat (perishable) products. And the cruise lines we've been on only allow the same (pre-packaged) type snacks to be brought onboard. No homemade stuff.

Agree, although I have heard that some have ordered room service sandwiches and taken them off.

As others have said, only pre-packaged, factory-sealed type foods.

Knowing our family had a several-hours long shore excursion on a fishing boat booked in Freeport, I planned ahead and bought single-serving size bags of trail mix, individual (mini) Pringles packs, and individual-sized bags of peanuts before the cruise. I packed them all in my carry-on. And then, the day of the excursion, popped them all into my backpack. The snacks were seen by security staff each time. No problem with them going on or off the ship. My family as well as the captain of the fishing boat and the other couple onboard were all happy to have them (I had more than enough to share and the 7 of us had the boat to ourselves).:)

The exception to this rule is if you're in Alaska or Hawaii. In Hawaii, we took off fruits, cheeses, and breads and it was fine there.

Nope, you just weren't caught! Many ports have AgDogs. When the cute Lab sits down next to you, don't feel special. Next to her is a guard who will rummage thru your bag.

Yes, bugs can be brought in by cruiseships. I've had the pleasure of sharing my raw asparagus with a bug onboard Princess. It crawled out of the tip.

In the early 90's Southern California was horribly invaded by the Mediterrean Fruit Fly. Vector Control couldn't contain them. We had restrictions on moving backyard fruit.

It got so bad that whole swaths of Greater Los Angeles was infected. Vectrol Control decided that Malathion was the best way to get rid of these flies.

The best was to disperse Malathion was thru cropdusters, over residential neighborhoods. Had to take in all outdoor animals (no idea what the horseownwers did), take in all outdoor things, cover what couldn't be taken inside. (I got real good at wrapping the swingset.) The next morning we had to unwrap and wash anything the kids could touch.

Had to do this at least three times, maybe more.

Oh, it was summer, in SoCal. Couldn't use the air conditioner as they didn't want outside air, with the Malathion, coming into the houses.

Every spring we see the Vector Control traps. Now we have an Asian Psylliad threatening our crops.

As others have said, only pre-packaged, factory-sealed type foods.

Knowing our family had a several-hours long shore excursion on a fishing boat booked in Freeport, I planned ahead and bought single-serving size bags of trail mix, individual (mini) Pringles packs, and individual-sized bags of peanuts before the cruise. I packed them all in my carry-on. And then, the day of the excursion, popped them all into my backpack. The snacks were seen by security staff each time. No problem with them going on or off the ship. My family as well as the captain of the fishing boat and the other couple onboard were all happy to have them (I had more than enough to share and the 7 of us had the boat to ourselves).:)

Instead of purchasing your own snacks, you can take boxes of the cereal they have out for breakfast (if you like the cereal they off that is). It's by the rules and it's free! :)

Instead of purchasing your own snacks, you can take boxes of the cereal they have out for breakfast (if you like the cereal they off that is). It's by the rules and it's free! :)

Yes, that is all true and a good tip for others. But I knew I would need something with less sugar and a lot more protein (I have hypoglycemia) than cereal. Most of those cereals are nothing but junky, over-sugared carbs. I try to avoid eating that junk or allowing my kids to eat it.:o The peanuts we snacked on had two ingredients: peanuts and salt. And the trail mix had a lot of good stuff in it, as well. I'm not gonna pretend the choice of Pringles had anything to do with nutrition, though. Sometimes, you just want some junk food.:p

The exception to this rule is if you're in Alaska or Hawaii. In Hawaii, we took off fruits, cheeses, and breads and it was fine there.

I agree that you just didn't get caught. When we got off our Hawaiian cruise in 2005, our bags were checked at the airport to make sure we weren't taking any fruit, etc. home with us. Canned stuff like Macadamia nuts was OK.

Edited by Sparky2

We always bring lance crackers and granola bars for snacks on board and excursions. Favorite memory - we took a box of goldfish crackers on the pirate cruise excursion in Puerta Vallarta. We were very popular with the pirates - they kept coming by for a handful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for any input.

Only packaged and sealed by the manufacturer snacks are allowed.

You should consider making sure you and yours eat a good breakfast on the ship. When you return from your time in port, you can get something from the grill. :)

LuLu

They seem to really be cracking down in Cozumel specifically. I did four cruises in July/first of August (2 B2Bs), and although we only got off in Cozumel a couple of times, each time we did, a security guard searched our bags before we 'dinged out,' and guards on the pier stopped us to let their sweet pups 'sniff' our bags. This did not happen at any other port.

Nope, you just weren't caught! Many ports have AgDogs. When the cute Lab sits down next to you, don't feel special. Next to her is a guard who will rummage thru your bag.

Yes, bugs can be brought in by cruiseships. I've had the pleasure of sharing my raw asparagus with a bug onboard Princess. It crawled out of the tip.

In the early 90's Southern California was horribly invaded by the Mediterrean Fruit Fly. Vector Control couldn't contain them. We had restrictions on moving backyard fruit.

It got so bad that whole swaths of Greater Los Angeles was infected. Vectrol Control decided that Malathion was the best way to get rid of these flies.

The best was to disperse Malathion was thru cropdusters, over residential neighborhoods. Had to take in all outdoor animals (no idea what the horseownwers did), take in all outdoor things, cover what couldn't be taken inside. (I got real good at wrapping the swingset.) The next morning we had to unwrap and wash anything the kids could touch.

Had to do this at least three times, maybe more.

Oh, it was summer, in SoCal. Couldn't use the air conditioner as they didn't want outside air, with the Malathion, coming into the houses.

Every spring we see the Vector Control traps. Now we have an Asian Psylliad threatening our crops.

When we were in Hawaii they told us we could because we were on an American registered ship and Hawaii is a US state...I assumed it would be the same for Alaska. Maybe they've changed the rules since we cruised Hawaii.

I agree that you just didn't get caught. When we got off our Hawaiian cruise in 2005, our bags were checked at the airport to make sure we weren't taking any fruit, etc. home with us. Canned stuff like Macadamia nuts was OK.

We didn't take anything home, didn't want to...it was just fruits, cheese and bread from the ship while in port, and we didn't take anything back onto the ship. Our cruise to Hawaii was in 2007. Good grief. I thought the OP was asking if she could take food from the ship to the port for lunch. That's what we did.

Edited by Terre

There were guards dumping food people were trying to take off the ship at Alaskan ports. It's been a few years ago, but I can't imagine that rule has changed. I think that's a universal rule around the world. No food that isn't prepackaged is to be taken off the ship. It's to protect the environment.

Edited by Grannycb

When we were in Hawaii they told us we could because we were on an American registered ship and Hawaii is a US state...I assumed it would be the same for Alaska. Maybe they've changed the rules since we cruised Hawaii.

We didn't take anything home, didn't want to...it was just fruits, cheese and bread from the ship while in port, and we didn't take anything back onto the ship. Our cruise to Hawaii was in 2007. Good grief. I thought the OP was asking if she could take food from the ship to the port for lunch. That's what we did.

You were on the NCL ship?

Most come from the mainland or Asia.

This was some years ago, but we were standing in line waiting to get back on the ship in Aruba. There was a young woman with a baby in a stroller in front of us and she was holding a big bucket of KFC. Everyone was looking at her like WOW! There is so much great food on the ship! A passenger in front of her asked why she was bringing chicken onto the ship, she crinkled her nose and said, "I can't stand all that fancy food!". LOL Security let her on - No questions asked.

All good info. all but KFC we have that here - do need to bring that back on the ship. Though when I was in Naussa I did see a sign for a Chicken Big Mac at their Mcd's lol but we ended up at Fish Fry - that was better.

I will make sure that we eat a breakfast before hand and pack our lance crackers. That's what I was more afraid of - was could we bring lance crackers from home in our carry on so we had them in the port - and it seems I can. So I am good. So that will hold me off until we get back to ship for some Guys burgers or whatever else they may have on the ships.

Thanks yall :)

You were on the NCL ship?

Most come from the mainland or Asia.

We were on Pride of America, an NCL ship. We flew into Honolulu and got on it there. Again, we were not bringing food back onto the ship. We know we can do that. We were taking food off the ship because we were driving the Road to Hana that day and there was no where along the road to get anything. Ship's crew knew about it and was okay with it. Why am I being interrogated about this?

Edited by Terre

Pride of America is ported in Hawaii. Supplies are loaded there. With other ships their foods come from other ports, cities. Taking food off Pride of America would not be introducing anything new to the environment since it comes from the same environment. I think that is why there is different rule for that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pride of America is ported in Hawaii. Supplies are loaded there. With other ships their foods come from other ports, cities. Taking food off Pride of America would not be introducing anything new to the environment since it comes from the same environment. I think that is why there is different rule for that ship.

Thank you!!!

Edited by Terre

We were on Pride of America, an NCL ship. We flew into Honolulu and got on it there. Again, we were not bringing food back onto the ship. We know we can do that. We were taking food off the ship because we were driving the Road to Hana that day and there was no where along the road to get anything. Ship's crew knew about it and was okay with it. Why am I being interrogated about this?

Because in other ports it is not allowed and you did not specifically state you were on the POA.

Edited by SadieN

I typically take beef jerky, peanut butter and cheese crackers, Special K bars, and Fruit Roll Ups (for real hypoglycemia or irritable kids). I bring Vitamin C candies and sugar free Werther's or other sugar free candies to keep my kids busy and quiet or to quiet a cough, especially during the shows, waiting for dinner to arrive, on tour buses, etc.

When we were in Hilo, we stopped at a grocery store and got a veggie tray and a sub sandwich to split while we drove a rental from one attraction to another. A lot of ports have Walmarts, or other groceries, nearby, but I don't want to waste time shopping during our limited time off the ship (if you are disciplined and just go in for healthy snacks and cheap souvenirs you will be fine).

When we flew, I carried a gallon bag of treats for the plane rides and time in the airports and cabs, and other bags filled with goodies for our port days (packed in our suitcases).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app