Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

3 hours ago, ouse456 said:

I was on the Holland America Volendam recently. The sauna is not located in the locker room. It is located in the spa hallway.(For the men's sauna turn left exitting the back locker room door. The sauna is several yards down the hall on the right. I think many were not aware its existence or location.)

Thanks for the info, does it have a window onto the ocean?

3 hours ago, ouse456 said:

Just got off the Emerald Princess. The locker room sauna and steam rooms were removed during a recent refurbishment. The ship's deck plan and the VacationTo Go deck plans have not been updated. I have updated the locker/steam room chart.

OMG that is so disappointing, we are on the ship in March and now think we will cancell the trip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ouse456 said:

Just got off the Emerald Princess. The locker room sauna and steam rooms were removed during a recent refurbishment. The ship's deck plan and the VacationTo Go deck plans have not been updated. I have updated the locker/steam room chart.

So disappointed to hear about this. I was on the ship last September and both rooms were still there

On 1/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, natefish95 said:

I got back a few days ago from a B2B on the Summit. Really nice ship with a free sauna in the locker room off the solarium.

The sauna is weird because it's a wall of windows facing into the locker room, but better than nothing I guess. It can hold about 4 people comfortably. The first cruise, it was pretty crowded most times. The second cruise it was barely used. Crazy how things can be so different cruise to cruise. 

Since it's also connected to the solarium, you get guys coming in to use the bathroom, and then they'll peak around into the sauna, sometimes lingering a bit longer than normal checking things out...

Will be on the Summit in August.  4 people? Geez! 

On 2/1/2023 at 7:57 PM, alexdw said:

OMG that is so disappointing, we are on the ship in March and now think we will cancel the trip.

I agree with you, when you book a cruise and a facility or feature that you are looking forward too is removed, it is work canceling.

• Like 1

Looking way ahead to Apr. 5, 2024, there is a Koningsdam cruise out of San Diego that includes a total solar eclipse and a few days in Hawai'i. 22 days long with plenty of sea days, and a free single-sex sauna with big windows to the sea. Worth considering...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshuaLifter said:

I agree with you, when you book a cruise and a facility or feature that you are looking forward too is removed, it is work canceling.

We always get the best insurance coverage but those was a last minute booking and we did not so we will suck it up and go but will not be sailing this ship again.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Looking way ahead to Apr. 5, 2024, there is a Koningsdam cruise out of San Diego that includes a total solar eclipse and a few days in Hawai'i. 22 days long with plenty of sea days, and a free single-sex sauna with big windows to the sea. Worth considering...

We are doing Koningsdam in Feb San Diego to San Diego 35 nights to Hawaii and Polynesian. Looking forward to that and I know they will not be removing the sauna which we both love.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexdw said:

We are doing Koningsdam in Feb San Diego to San Diego 35 nights to Hawaii and Polynesian. Looking forward to that and I know they will not be removing the sauna which we both love.

So jealous!!! OMG! On my bucket list...just can't this year. Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Since cruise companies are fairly secretive about changes made during dry or wet dock refurbishment, it might be useful to know if and when a ship is being refurbished and whether the locker rooms are involved. Earlier warning  of any "expected" changes could influence choice of future cruises. Perhaps this could be accomplished in a separate blog or reported on this blog. What do you think? The 'List of Ships with FREE sauna and/or steam' blog is very useful but is updated after the refurbishment by bloggers. It doesn't deal with expected future or newly made changes that haven't yet been noted.

A great concept - but from where do you propose the "early warning" come? I can't see the cruise lines sharing, becauce each refurb I've ever seen is a downgrade to the spa facility, no matter how they try to spin it.

15 hours ago, ouse456 said:

Since cruise companies are fairly secretive about changes made during dry or wet dock refurbishment, it might be useful to know if and when a ship is being refurbished and whether the locker rooms are involved. Earlier warning  of any "expected" changes could influence choice of future cruises. Perhaps this could be accomplished in a separate blog or reported on this blog. What do you think? The 'List of Ships with FREE sauna and/or steam' blog is very useful but is updated after the refurbishment by bloggers. It doesn't deal with expected future or newly made changes that haven't yet been noted.

I agree, we are booked on Emerald Princess leaving in 2 weeks time and recently found out through this site that they have removed the free sauna and steam. This is very disapointing and had we known we would not have booked this ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybeachboy said:

I have been looking at cruises out of Southampton, for this & next summer, the number of ships with single sex  sauna/steam facilities is dwindling rapidly, which impacts my choice of cruise line & pushes me back towards land based holidays. 

Cunard Queen Victoria has free Sauna, PO Ventura has both [ when working]

From Southampton 

Just got off Azura that had both too

But shes  in the canary Islands atm

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, twodjs said:

A great concept - but from where do you propose the "early warning" come? I can't see the cruise lines sharing, becauce each refurb I've ever seen is a downgrade to the spa facility, no matter how they try to spin it.

Inferences can sometimes by drawn. For instance the Carnival Freedom is going from Florida to Barcelona September 21 to October 4 and then returns to Florida from Barcelona on October 21. And online, there is a comprehensive list of upcoming refurbishments for only $399  🙂. And there are occasional online articles on upcoming refurbishments but schedules are changed and online articles are often not dated so it is sometimes difficult to determine if they are current.  ( Was considering the Freedom from Florida to Barcelona and then returning on the same ship, but the chances of having the s/steam refurbished on out in Barcelona kept me from considering it seriously.)

Edited by ouse456
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, alexdw said:

I agree, we are booked on Emerald Princess leaving in 2 weeks time and recently found out through this site that they have removed the free sauna and steam. This is very disapointing and had we known we would not have booked this ship.

Where did you hear that? The deck plans still show the sauna and steam room.

This thread is good for the most part, but people also post a lot of incorrect information.