Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

3 minutes ago, STLCRUISIN said:

At my gym a lot of guys use the sauna fully dressed, including shoes. I shake my head everytime I see it....just don't understand it. I think it's become a generational thing.

I agree re generational to some extent, but I think a large part of it is the ever growing distance between fitness/gym pursuits and spa pursuits, and particularly spa etiquette.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bejwee said:

I agree re generational to some extent, but I think a large part of it is the ever growing distance between fitness/gym pursuits and spa pursuits, and particularly spa etiquette.

You have a really good point there!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, STLCRUISIN said:

At my gym a lot of guys use the sauna fully dressed, including shoes. I shake my head everytime I see it....just don't understand it. I think it's become a generational thing.

I think that the older we get the less inhibited we get. I remember being young and shy about being naked.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, happytraveller said:

I was on the Carnival Glory in January. It has a single sex steam and sauna both with windows looking out to see. Also a seated area in changing room. There are also about 5 showers including a disabled one.

The steam sauna was never full

Thanks for the info. That would be great. 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:07 PM, GigglewolfOfTheSeas said:

Understood. Odd set-up, but as long as the door to the sauna down the hall read’s “Men” on it, that should maintain privacy, lol.

Feel-free to message me directly at Steamcruiser at gmail, twodjs.

The door does say "MENS SAUNA" but as soon as you open it you are looking straight into the sauna thru it's glass doors!!  So there's that......................

SM

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruisingfun28 said:

Hello enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. Any updated list of the Royal ships that are left with the free single sex saunas left? I enjoy the steam rooms but seem to be less and less common to find them on Royal without paying 

What ports do you cruise out of? 

10 hours ago, happytraveller said:

I agree, we have what we have why be ashamed or try to hide it?

In north Asia, visiting onsen is a popular leisure activity. Onsen usually is in single sex setting. Everybody is naked and equal. We can spend entire afternoon in there, benefit from the hydrotherapy and feel refreshed afterward. It is part of our culture. I guess in north America, sauna is just an add-on amenity to the gym and gym is a very body conscious place.  

I realize this topic has appeared often in this thread, but after researching the matter via “a certain website” with deck plans of RCI’s Voyager-class ships recently, it appears that as of early 2023 only the Freedom, Voyager & Navigator might’ve had their sauna & steam facilities removed from the port side of Deck 11 (where I believe such facilities were/are located on all the Voyager class ships). I’m not 💯% certain of this and would welcome the firsthand input of others who’ve recently sailed the Adventure, Explorer, Independence, Liberty or Mariner.

Having sailed often on the Voyager-class ships in the early 2000’s, I’m certain the men’s locker rooms on those ships were always on the port side (not sure if Deck 11 or 12, though) and recall the saunas had windows with fixed wood slat blinds because there was a narrow outdoor walkway just outside. I believe the locker rooms were on Deck 11, because the much-wider outdoor walkway on Deck 12 wrapped around the main gym area and included the jogging track (and Deck 12 is where all of the Voyager-class ships have had cabins added).

Thoughts or other actual firsthand accounts with better recall, gents??

And while we’re at it: What’s the latest on RCI’s Radiance-class ships as of early 2023: Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade & Jewel?? These ships also had excellent dedicated (if slightly smaller) steam and sauna facilities in the men’s locker rooms located on their Deck 11. According to “a certain website’s” current deck plans for these ships, only Jewel appears to have had cabins added to the starboard, ocean-facing side of the spa (which I believe housed the heated loungers facing the ocean); yet even on this ship, where the men‘s/women’s locker rooms (rectangular -shaped sections running parallel to each other along the center of the ship on Deck 11) might be appear to be intact (??).

The group’s input will be much appreciated. 😌

On 3/23/2023 at 5:42 PM, GigglewolfOfTheSeas said:

Adventure, Explorer, Independence, Liberty or Mariner.

Yes, all of these ships are still fully intact and have not had the free saunas/steam rooms removed. 

As for Radiance class ships, I think only Brilliance may have had some changes to the spa area so I can’t confirm. But Jewel, Radiance, Serenade are all still the same with their great setup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ships and Dip said:

Yes, all of these ships are still fully intact and have not had the free saunas/steam rooms removed. 

As for Radiance class ships, I think only Brilliance may have had some changes to the spa area so I can’t confirm. But Jewel, Radiance, Serenade are all still the same with their great setup. 

Sailed the Independence, Mariner, and Navigator last fall.  Only the Navigator had the free wet area removed.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, huntnewt said:

Does anyone have any experience with Carnival ships? I only have experience with Carnival Splendor that has a shared pool and steam rooms and a small sauna in the men’s locker room.

Is there a particular Carnival ship you're looking at? I've been on the Conquest, Magic, and Spirit.

Spirit and Conquest had single-sex steam rooms and saunas. Magic had a small single-sex sauna in the locker room, and an additional-charge larger co-ed spa facility with steam rooms, heated loungers, etc.

Are you familiar with the spreadsheet posted in the other thread in this section? It has a nice listing of many cruise ships and the steam room and sauna setups on them: Sauna/Steam Room Spreadsheet

• Like 3

6 hours ago, knagl said:

Is there a particular Carnival ship you're looking at? I've been on the Conquest, Magic, and Spirit.

Spirit and Conquest had single-sex steam rooms and saunas. Magic had a small single-sex sauna in the locker room, and an additional-charge larger co-ed spa facility with steam rooms, heated loungers, etc.

Are you familiar with the spreadsheet posted in the other thread in this section? It has a nice listing of many cruise ships and the steam room and sauna setups on them: Sauna/Steam Room Spreadsheet

Not necessarily. Planning a cruise for Summer 2024 and looking at several ships - Legend, Mardi Gras, Panorama, Magic, Celebration, Vista, and Horizon

7 hours ago, knagl said:

...Are you familiar with the spreadsheet posted in the other thread in this section? It has a nice listing of many cruise ships and the steam room and sauna setups on them: Sauna/Steam Room Spreadsheet

A friendly reminder to any first time users to the database...

Best viewed on desktop or laptop.

Steam/Sauna database

As a reminder to all, ANY change you make to the database is auto-saved. There is no temporary change while you are on it. That means if you highlight ships to compare them. It is permanent. If you change the formatting of the data in any way, it stays that way when you exit.

The DB then needs to be cleaned up (not that hard to do) but still takes time.

• Thanks 3

On 3/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, ShipWalker said:

A friendly reminder to any first time users to the database...

Best viewed on desktop or laptop.

Steam/Sauna database

As a reminder to all, ANY change you make to the database is auto-saved. There is no temporary change while you are on it. That means if you highlight ships to compare them. It is permanent. If you change the formatting of the data in any way, it stays that way when you exit.

The DB then needs to be cleaned up (not that hard to do) but still takes time.

Thank you so much for the efforts, the database is incredibly helpful.

• Like 1