Breakaway: super cheap to Bermuda

lah66

I cannot believe you can get a Balcony guarantee on the Breakaway for just $579 pp, 7 day Bermuda, Sept 21st! Other cruises around that date are just slightly more!

The Dawn is a much older ship and rates are almost double that!

Does anybody have a feeling as to why this would be? The Breakaway seems to have good reviews. I imagine it is a toss up leaving from NYC or Boston (but for us it is an extra 2 hour drive to Boston). Breakaway leaves on a Sunday which is preferable to the Dawn's Friday so you are not docking in Bermuda on a Sunday.

DH cannot take the week of Sept 21 off, so I am hoping the following weeks pricing comes down even more! Didn't plan a Bermuda trip this fall but would LOVE to go back for the third year in a row!

Just curious...Lauri

After the 9/21 cruise, there is only the 9/28 cruise to Bermuda. Then the Breakaway starts the cruises to Florida and Bahamas on 10/5. I'm on that one! :D

We may consider these as well! Looking for a super cheap fall cruise to beat the empty nester blues! Have fun on yours!

Lauri

I saw for next year that the Breakaway has 3 additional sailings to Bermuda in October vs prior years (10/18-10/25 is last one in 2015)

It could just be due to availibility and supply. I found last year prices in early September dropped for my sailing within a week or so before.

Slightly off topic; it seems in general Getaway sailings on certain weeks are a lot lower than Breakaway ones- could this be due to higher demand in NYC for a megaship such as the Breakaway vs. NCL also having the Epic for now from Miami (as well as other non-NCL ships)

Way back in February during a snowstorm, I found for an hour or so really cheap prices on studios and had to decide between Breakaway mid Sep, Getwaway Oct or Breakaway Oct. I went with the latter as it was during my birthday and just to have more seatime.

However, the mid-Sep to Bermuda was great last year and I am thinking next October back to Bermuda.

I cannot believe you can get a Balcony guarantee on the Breakaway for just $579 pp, 7 day Bermuda, Sept 21st! Other cruises around that date are just slightly more!

The Dawn is a much older ship and rates are almost double that!

Does anybody have a feeling as to why this would be? The Breakaway seems to have good reviews. I imagine it is a toss up leaving from NYC or Boston (but for us it is an extra 2 hour drive to Boston). Breakaway leaves on a Sunday which is preferable to the Dawn's Friday so you are not docking in Bermuda on a Sunday.

DH cannot take the week of Sept 21 off, so I am hoping the following weeks pricing comes down even more! Didn't plan a Bermuda trip this fall but would LOVE to go back for the third year in a row!

Just curious...Lauri

That is a great price and a perfect time for Bermuda. :)

Last year the cruise was higher due to it being new, but the rates did drop several hundred for the Sept cruises. I took the 9-20-13 sailing for $720 with taxes, which is about what they are this year, if the above rate is without taxes?

Prior ships, ALWAYS have had deep discounts in Sept /Oct to Bermuda, late booked. I never paid over $550 with taxes the previous several years- at least 5. So this is nothing new.

Edited by Budget Queen

simple . they have more cabins to sell and are getting close to sailing date the other ship must be at a higher occupancy rate. they probably made the choice that they needed to channel more of the new bookings to go to breakaway and adjusted the fares to do just that.

Last year the cruise was higher due to it being new, but the rates did drop several hundred for the Sept cruises. I took the 9-20-13 sailing for $720 with taxes, which is about what they are this year, if the above rate is without taxes?

Prior ships, ALWAYS have had deep discounts in Sept /Oct to Bermuda, late booked. I never paid over $550 with taxes the previous several years- at least 5. So this is nothing new.

Good to know! I am a planner so I always book early and never look at the prices after final payment! I think 2 years ago,we paid only $350 per person (before taxes) for an inside. Last years just slightly more.

Yes, $579 is the price without taxes..so probably $725 pp with taxes.

My niece lives in Syracuse and we always want to plan some time with her before our cruises. How do you get to the East Coast ports from there? We have investigated to NYC using Trailways, but how about when you sail from Bayonne?

Thanks for the info!

Lauri

simple . they have more cabins to sell and are getting close to sailing date the other ship must be at a higher occupancy rate. they probably made the choice that they needed to channel more of the new bookings to go to breakaway and adjusted the fares to do just that.

Oh sure, I get the whole economics/marketing take on this, but when I look at a certain website, it says the Dawn is at 43-45% capacity and the Breakaway is at 51%. Maybe NCL know they will always sell out in Boston even if they keep the rates high? They have been around long enough to know the drill!

We usually do not sail new ships because the prices are usually outrageous but we can certainly afford this one! Thanks for your thoughts!

Lauri

I don't know if they finance ship purchases or not but if they do it might be in there best interest to show a higher profit on a newer ship. also breakaway is a new York ship and they want to justify a year round ship. just thoughts .

Good to know! I am a planner so I always book early and never look at the prices after final payment! I think 2 years ago,we paid only $350 per person (before taxes) for an inside. Last years just slightly more.

Yes, $579 is the price without taxes..so probably $725 pp with taxes.

My niece lives in Syracuse and we always want to plan some time with her before our cruises. How do you get to the East Coast ports from there? We have investigated to NYC using Trailways, but how about when you sail from Bayonne?

Thanks for the info!

Lauri

Past several years, I have used Megabus from Binghamton. an hour from Syr. For Bayone, I do the "cheap" option, by using the PATH train, light rail, and short cab ride.

Oh sure, I get the whole economics/marketing take on this, but when I look at a certain website, it says the Dawn is at 43-45% capacity and the Breakaway is at 51%. Maybe NCL know they will always sell out in Boston even if they keep the rates high? They have been around long enough to know the drill!

We usually do not sail new ships because the prices are usually outrageous but we can certainly afford this one! Thanks for your thoughts!

Lauri

Hi, could youplease give me a hint as to how to google/find that website (I know we can't directly mention them). I would like to see what my October 18th Breakaway capacity is thanks

That is very encouraging to me. I have already booked our cruise to Bermuda for next year. I wanted to make sure I got the cabin I wanted as my DH is a very light sleeper and, on our first cruise on the Sky, I didn't make the correct cabin choice and we were kept awake for all 4 nights. I know better now. Anyway, I booked an inside to keep prices down and would love to upgrade to a balcony. However, currently, that would raise the price of the cruise almost $1000 and I just can't do it.

Lauri

I looked that percentage meaning up once while fishing and learned that it is not capacity. It is the number of cabin categories that are still available to book. In theory, a ship with 1 cabin left in every category would show 100%, but, is nearly sold out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hi, could youplease give me a hint as to how to google/find that website (I know we can't directly mention them). I would like to see what my October 18th Breakaway capacity is thanks

October 19th, 2014 Breakaway cruise Florida/Bahamas is at 51%. Please see Steeler Nation at Seas explanation though. I thought this was capacity, but Steeler says he has investigated this and it is the number of categories still open to book. Thanks Steeler! So on your cruise, there are 47 different cabin types and there is no pricing for 7 so those 7 must be all sold out. Looks like great pricing on that cruise so I bet capacity is low right now.

Sorry cannot even hint at the name of the site. I was suspended for doing that a while ago! Oops. They take these things very seriously!

Lauri

Past several years, I have used Megabus from Binghamton. an hour from Syr. For Bayone, I do the "cheap" option, by using the PATH train, light rail, and short cab ride.

Thanks for the info! I will file it away for future use! lauri

October 19th, 2014 Breakaway cruise Florida/Bahamas is at 51%. Please see Steeler Nation at Seas explanation though. I thought this was capacity, but Steeler says he has investigated this and it is the number of categories still open to book. Thanks Steeler! So on your cruise, there are 47 different cabin types and there is no pricing for 7 so those 7 must be all sold out. Looks like great pricing on that cruise so I bet capacity is low right now.

Sorry cannot even hint at the name of the site. I was suspended for doing that a while ago! Oops. They take these things very seriously!

Lauri

Another weird point about the category availability percentage. 7 of 47 is certainly not 49% sold out. They are counting every price configuration for a single cabin category. For example, each cabin category at a 1 person rate standard, AARP and Latitudes, a 2 person rate at standard AARP and Latitudes and who knows what else. If at any point, one of those rates becomes unavailable or is no longer updated by NCL, that affects the category available calculation. So.....the % is not much of an indicator as to how full the ship may or may not actually be. Need to also check elsewhere to get a sense of just what's left in your desired category. I haven't found anywhere yet that tells me in a straight forward manner. I'm pretty sure TA's can tell.

Too bad you can't join us LAH66. I am on the 9/21/14 BA sailing and I happened to see your post on our roll call before you edited it. Would have been nice to welcome you to our fun group.

Kim

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Another weird point about the category availability percentage. 7 of 47 is certainly not 49% sold out. They are counting every price configuration for a single cabin category. For example, each cabin category at a 1 person rate standard, AARP and Latitudes, a 2 person rate at standard AARP and Latitudes and who knows what else. If at any point, one of those rates becomes unavailable or is no longer updated by NCL, that affects the category available calculation. So.....the % is not much of an indicator as to how full the ship may or may not actually be. Need to also check elsewhere to get a sense of just what's left in your desired category. I haven't found anywhere yet that tells me in a straight forward manner. I'm pretty sure TA's can tell.

Too bad you can't join us LAH66. I am on the 9/21/14 BA sailing and I happened to see your post on our roll call before you edited it. Would have been nice to welcome you to our fun group.

Kim

Thanks for explaining that so clearly. I was confused since 7 of 47 is more like 7%! That sure does not give you a good indication of how full the ship is!

So, you saw my post before editing it! We were so excited to see the balcony prices and then my DH looks at his calendar and says, Ohoh, we can't go. He has a meeting in Minnesota that week! Argh. That's why I am hoping for the following week! I felt bad posting to your roll call for no good reason so I edited it! Looks like a great bunch of cruisers!

Thanks for your kind words!

Lauri

The off- season cruises on Breakaway this year have been pricing really well. There were amazing deals in May on her as well. The summer months when kids are out of school are going to be the peak cruises with few having low,prices. Once kids to back to school, they need to fill those shops. It's also hurricane season. May was when kids were still in school and also still a little cool in Bermuda so not peak

You would think the same argument (school in or out) would apply to the Dawn, but those prices are still high. I have never watched cruise pricing out of Boston since Bayonne and NYC are a few hours closer to us. Are cruises out of Boston always higher?

Whatever the reason, Sept and Oct Bermuda cruises are the best! The air and water temps are perfect for lots of snorkeling and beach time!

Thanks for your input!

Lauri

For my upcoming Breakaway cruise, I paid $1750 pp including taxes and port charges for a Haven Spa Suite. When I went fishing to check out cabin prices on different weeks, I did not find any week lower than this.

I'm happy because I saved a ton of money. The Queen is happy because she's in the Haven AND she has access to the spa.

If the Queen is happy, then there's a chance some happiness might come my way too!

;)

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Very happy for you Wasiii, your DW will feel like a queen for the week! I am sure she will treat you like a king!!

I can only dream of the Haven (at least until we get done paying for DD and DS's college tuition!) Have you stayed there before? What if you get some obnoxious people up there with you? Can you get away from them?

Have a wonderful cruise!

Lauri

For my upcoming Breakaway cruise, I paid $1750 pp including taxes and port charges for a Haven Spa Suite. When I went fishing to check out cabin prices on different weeks, I did not find any week lower than this.

I'm happy because I saved a ton of money. The Queen is happy because she's in the Haven AND she has access to the spa.

If the Queen is happy, then there's a chance some happiness might come my way too!

;)

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

She owes you! May your happiness dream come true. :)