New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

18 minutes ago, regnig said:

If you look at the deck plan for the Nieuw Statendam you will see on Deck 2 opposite the forward most elevators you will see an unlabeled room just past the Rolling Stone Rock Room. That is the new, and wonderful library. 

Thank you both!

16 hours ago, KeyLimeKayak said:

Where is the library located on most HAL ships? Sailing Nieuw Statendam this spring and heard one was added but it doesn't appear on deck maps.

Deck 2 starboard between Rolling Stone and World Stage

Just back from a Chile & Argentina cruise on Oosterdam. They also had a new library on deck 3, which was the best I have seen so far on a cruise ship. Spacious, good range of books, plus a book swap section.  Only problem was that it had only five armchairs, which were perpetually occupied. They were very big, comfortable armchairs, but they took up a lot of space. 

Also wanted to say something about Signature Suites, which many people say are "just a bigger room, no perks".  I got upgraded to one (from an aft balcony).  I appreciated that it was big and spacious, and mine had an angled balcony that gave an excellent view.  But the main advantage for me was that it had a separate shower, not over a bath. As a person with limited mobility, I was very appreciative of this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  We have never sailed with HA before, but are excited to try a new cruise line.  We are booked next year on Oosterdam out of Venice.  I am looking for advice on booking the retreat cabana’s.  How do we book them and how far in advance are they available to book?  Thanks in advance!  

13 minutes ago, Twynklepig said:

Hi!  We have never sailed with HA before, but are excited to try a new cruise line.  We are booked next year on Oosterdam out of Venice.  I am looking for advice on booking the retreat cabana’s.  How do we book them and how far in advance are they available to book?  Thanks in advance!  

Welcome to HAL! @POA1is somewhat of an expert on cabanas; he recently posted some details you may find beneficial and perhaps can post a link for you. I'm on phone not computer and can't easily search.

I have an embarkation wayfinding question:  at Fort Lauderdale, on the Pinnacle class ships, where are you when you first enter the ship on embarkation day?  i.e. which deck, forward/midship/aft?

Basically I’m trying to orient myself ahead of time so I can skedaddle to the dining kiosk to make MDR reservations. I have a gift for turning the wrong way initially in most circumstances, lol. 

46 minutes ago, Monarda55 said:

I have an embarkation wayfinding question:  at Fort Lauderdale, on the Pinnacle class ships, where are you when you first enter the ship on embarkation day?  i.e. which deck, forward/midship/aft?

Basically I’m trying to orient myself ahead of time so I can skedaddle to the dining kiosk to make MDR reservations. I have a gift for turning the wrong way initially in most circumstances, lol. 

MDR is aft on 2 & 3, but 2 is where you will need to go. The aft elevator opens right to the entrance.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

MDR is aft on 2 & 3, but 2 is where you will need to go. The aft elevator opens right to the entrance.

But where are you when you first step off of the gangway and onto the ship? Near the forward elevators, or midship?

It’s always been mid ship, for me, on Pinnacle-class Deck 2*.  There is a dining reservations kiosk next to the Ocean Bar (on the way to the dining room) on that deck.  There is also one on the Lido Deck*, by the Greenhouse Spa, but that one will pack up at a set time so you need to get there early.  *YMMV

Not new to HAL, but new to this issue.  Hubby received a "Thank You For Cruising With Us" email (actually got 2 emails, one for each of our last 2 cruises).  I did not get the same email (not sure why not).  The email says an OBC up to $200 per person.  We now booked an inside cabin on a 28 day cruise.  So as I read the email, it would be a credit of $100 (inside cabin) for each of us (a total of $200 OBC for the cruise).  My travel agent said no, it's automatically applied by HAL and we only got one $100 OBC.  My question is, then why do they state "per person?"  What am I missing?  Has anyone else had this?

9 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

Not new to HAL, but new to this issue.  Hubby received a "Thank You For Cruising With Us" email (actually got 2 emails, one for each of our last 2 cruises).  I did not get the same email (not sure why not).  The email says an OBC up to $200 per person.  We now booked an inside cabin on a 28 day cruise.  So as I read the email, it would be a credit of $100 (inside cabin) for each of us (a total of $200 OBC for the cruise).  My travel agent said no, it's automatically applied by HAL and we only got one $100 OBC.  My question is, then why do they state "per person?"  What am I missing?  Has anyone else had this?

Yes, it is sometimes per cabin.  But if the email promotion specifically says per person, that's curious.  I had a similar situation where we got $100 for the cabin, and it was split on our statements, $50 per person.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s always been mid ship, for me, on Pinnacle-class Deck 2*.  There is a dining reservations kiosk next to the Ocean Bar (on the way to the dining room) on that deck.  There is also one on the Lido Deck*, by the Greenhouse Spa, but that one will pack up at a set time so you need to get there early.  *YMMV

Yes the kiosk has been on 2 by Ocean Bar, but last month on K'dam and Oct & Nov on NS, they sent me to MDR for those reservations. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:59 PM, Traveling2naples said:

We were able to book our Specialty Dining room reservation for our June 8 Alaskan cruise on the Eurodam yesterday.  Our travel agent did it for us.

How far in advance can you reserve Specialty Dining? And is it better to reserve through website or app? We are not new to Holland but only did 1 cruise and that was a few years ago (no app then). We have reserved on Noordam for December 2024 to Singapore

1 hour ago, LouCoop said:

How far in advance can you reserve Specialty Dining? And is it better to reserve through website or app? We are not new to Holland but only did 1 cruise and that was a few years ago (no app then). We have reserved on Noordam for December 2024 to Singapore

For our cruise reservations opened up exactly 120 days before. I had trouble using the app to reserve so did it online using a Chrome browser on my tablet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to use my on board credit for the Quench beverage package. What's the best way to get it once I get on board? Does it start immediately? Is there any perks to buying it pre-cruise? I know Carnival's packages are cheaper if you buy it pre-cruise.

1 hour ago, elfof2moons said:

I want to use my on board credit for the Quench beverage package. What's the best way to get it once I get on board? Does it start immediately? Is there any perks to buying it pre-cruise? I know Carnival's packages are cheaper if you buy it pre-cruise.

There are desks set up in the atrium at embarkation.  Hopefully someone who knows about pre-cruise purchases will see your post.  Welcome to HAL!

First time on HAL & Port Everglades.  How strict are they on arrival times?

We were assigned a late arrival time. I prefer to be on the ship earlier if I can

so I don't have to waste time hanging out someplace waiting.

If I arrive early will they still let me in?

15 minutes ago, zelldriver said:

We were assigned a late arrival time. I prefer to be on the ship earlier if I can

I just sailed out of Port Everglades. We arrived around an hour before our time and sailed straight through. No comments. 

6 hours ago, zelldriver said:

No issues getting in ahead of schedule  - just be sure all your docs are in order and you completed the online check 

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo