New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, Kmangel said:

I find that placing the hooks from the ceiling works best.  The hooks can take more weight.

We find the ceiling approach works particularly well for hanging damp (not dripping) bathing suits or other apparel by the AC vents to dry them more quickly.

• Like 1

HAL newbie here anticipating my upcoming cruise! A dining question -- I prefer more vegetables at dinner than what I see on photos. May I put in a standing request for a plate of steamed broccoli/carrots with my MDR waiter?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, WNCtourist said:

I prefer more vegetables at dinner than what I see on photos. May I put in a standing request for a plate of steamed broccoli/carrots with my MDR waiter?

Not sure you can specify steamed broccoli/carrots be delivered every evening. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you have fixed dining. If you have anytime dining, you won't have the same waiter/table every meal.

I do know you can ask for, and be given, any vegetable that is on the menu that evening to be added/substituted. Or you can ask for a double portion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, WNCtourist said:

HAL newbie here anticipating my upcoming cruise! A dining question -- I prefer more vegetables at dinner than what I see on photos. May I put in a standing request for a plate of steamed broccoli/carrots with my MDR waiter?

Thanks!

They now offer a vegetable of the day on the evening menu .  It is a plate full of vegetables.  You can order extra of any vegetable offered on the evening menu regardless which entree it is served with 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

Thanks!

Yes!! I agree the veggies with the entree are an afterthought. We ask for a double plate of steamed veggies at every dinner. I eat almost all veggies so I don’t ask for specific ones but I’d bet you can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

Thanks!

We've asked for a plate of "whatever vegetables are ready in the kitchen" and this has always worked for us. I don't know about asking for specific veggies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

Thanks!

We were on the Volendam last month and several nights, I asked for extra veggies that were listed in the entree menu descriptions and got them. One night the entree had German Style cooked red cabbage, which I love, I asked for extra, and the waiter brought out a soup bowl of the cabbage, which I enjoyed. I have always found it doesn't hurt to ask for reasonable things as 90% of the time you will be accommodated.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have points on Holland America credit cards that can buy thermal suite.  Upcoming 7-day cruise.  Can we use the 4- or 5-day pass on a 7-day cruise or would we have to buy all 7 days?  If we can do 4- or 5-days, do we get to pick the days, or is it the first days after we board or present the reward?  I appreciate any assistance on this.

We had the HAL credit card.  When we redeemed it for the thermal suite, the cruise dates and the thermal suite pass dates had to be the same.

So you will need to redeem the thermal suite for the 7 day thermal pass for the 7 day cruise.

Enjoy the thermal suite......and the cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Djb.zville said:

We have points on Holland America credit cards that can buy thermal suite.  Upcoming 7-day cruise.  Can we use the 4- or 5-day pass on a 7-day cruise or would we have to buy all 7 days?  If we can do 4- or 5-days, do we get to pick the days, or is it the first days after we board or present the reward?  I appreciate any assistance on this.

You can either buy the full cruise (so 7 for this) or daily; you can't buy a portion. Hope that helps and enjoy your cruise - ThermalSpa is heaven!!

• Like 1